Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

17 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

They've already low-balled us. I don't think we'd be more likely to sell him when our window has closed - if anything we'd be more intent on keeping him as an option?

Unless shifting his wages are an issue.

Trabzonspor President seems pretty confident they have us over a barrel and will get a deal done at the price they want or a loan.

It's going to be a game of chicken. They need him, we want to get rid, but they don't have a lot funds and we don't want to let him go cheaply.

Their advantage is that they know what their maximum budget is and nothing is going to change that. They may have something like £8m available, but they won't find another £5m down the back of a sofa. They also may have other options, although Weghorst joining Ajax certainly ain't one of them. That said they seem all in on Onuachu...and I think they probably are. 

A deal will get done at some point.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Trabzonspor President seems pretty confident they have us over a barrel and will get a deal done at the price they want or a loan.

It's going to be a game of chicken. They need him, we want to get rid, but they don't have a lot funds and we don't want to let him go cheaply.

Their advantage is that they know what their maximum budget is and nothing is going to change that. They may have something like £8m available, but they won't find another £5m down the back of a sofa. They also may have other options, although Weghorst joining Ajax certainly ain't one of them. That said they seem all in on Onuachu...and I think they probably are. 

Didn’t they get knocked out of Europe last night? Will that make them less or more willing to spend on TP now they only have domestic league to think about? 

Just now, saintant said:

$$$$$$$$$

He has spent a lot of his career in the EFL so while he isn’t exactly skint he won’t have and the opportunity to earn the sort of money many premier league/international players have - hard to blame him taking a big wage if there aren’t comparable offers from big European teams. This move probably sets him and his family up for life - I expect many in his shoes would do the same.

43 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

When does that change? When do we finally recognise the genuine credibility of these Arabian clubs?

Never. 

The younger players heading out there probably stay for a couple of years max, load their bank accounts, and then head back to Europe. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UpweySaint said:

He has spent a lot of his career in the EFL so while he isn’t exactly skint he won’t have and the opportunity to earn the sort of money many premier league/international players have - hard to blame him taking a big wage if there aren’t comparable offers from big European teams. This move probably sets him and his family up for life - I expect many in his shoes would do the same.

New england manager, Kane getting on, could have moved to a top 6 PL side and earnt £150k+ a week. I'd have thought he'd have stuck around for another couple of years to try and get into that england side for the world cup. 

Dissapointing, but I'm not sure Toney is the best character. 

40 minutes ago, saintant said:

Not really sure that having 2 separate transfer threads helps.

It doesnt, there was one thread where we could all follow Saints related transfers and gossip anyway until some genius decided to dilute that !

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 1

I am not keen on Cornet.  He never looked like a team player to me - a bit of a flash in the pan at Burnley maybe - and now injury prone.

If we need another winger to play on the left or right how about Morgan Whittaker from Plymouth  - 23, 6ft, left footed and 19 goals in the Championship last season. I am not sure he had a great relationship with Martin at Swansea though so maybe that's a problem.

To be honest I expect Fraser to come back at the last minute.

I can see us signing 1 or 2 players after the Premier League deadline to go on loan at Goztepe with the option to buy for Saints next year - Alberto for example.

I still think we need a first choice left back if we are going to play KWP there over Taylor and Manning. 

And unfortunately it doesn't look like we are going to sign that 6ft plus centre forward we need.  It seems like a big risk to count on Ross Stewart playing regularly or at all or being good enough for the premier league.

14 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Ivan Toney going to Saudi is a sad one. He looked great for England in the summer, surely he could do a job for a big English team?

I agree with you but money talks, doesn't it? Perhaps he feels if the big Prem clubs aren't interested he may as well boost his bank balance. Personally, I hope Saudi football goes the same way as Chinese football did. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

Surely this is the perfect opportunity to make use Goztepe. It solves three problems in my mind:

1. It strengthen them massively. He's already proven he's more than capable in the Turkish league

2. It gets him off our wage bill

3. And obviously most importantly, it sticks both fingers up at Trabzonspor for being such smug twats, by not only not giving them the player for cheap, but by actively loaning to a club they'll play against this season.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

JWP confirmed to Forest 

That's depressing, not that we particularly need him. Just that he's ended up as one of those players who will probably end up bumbling between lower premier league clubs every couple years.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Totally. @Lighthouse can we merge these and keep it all to one thread otherwise it's going to be really hard to follow 

Not really. Works as is, one saints related one for everything else. Just change the title if needs be?

11 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I am not keen on Cornet.  He never looked like a team player to me - a bit of a flash in the pan at Burnley maybe - and now injury prone.

why does one bad injury make him injury prone ? You might as well say that about Livramento ! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wsaint said:

That's depressing, not that we particularly need him. Just that he's ended up as one of those players who will probably end up bumbling between lower premier league clubs every couple years.

I recall a thread where many were saying what a great player we lost and he was destined for greater things. I like JWP but he is the epitome of an average reliable PL player. Nothing more as proven since he left us,

• Like 6

SSN reporting…

Cornet deal being hijacked by Palace. Player will decide where he goes.

JWP to Notts Forest. Not sure we had a place for him and have more important targets, but slightly disappointed that having been our club captain, he has now becoming a bit of a journeyman rather than re-establishing himself here.

1 minute ago, whelk said:

I recall a thread where many were saying what a great player we lost and he was destined for greater things. I like JWP but he is the epitome of an average reliable PL player. Nothing more as proven since he left us,

Best deal we ever done was swap him (effectively) for Downes. JWP is an upgrade on Smallbone and Aribo, but that's about it. 

• Like 1

Aah ok, didn’t get that, apols.

Fair enough then, maybe just change the title to ‘non-Saints deadline day’ or something then, because the first post doesn’t really set that up and talks about what Saints are going to do 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dman said:

New england manager, Kane getting on, could have moved to a top 6 PL side and earnt £150k+ a week. I'd have thought he'd have stuck around for another couple of years to try and get into that england side for the world cup. 

Dissapointing, but I'm not sure Toney is the best character. 

It’s conjecture but without a good offer on the table it’s hard to know. It’s deadline day and the choice seems to be see out his Brentford contract (they may limit his game time if they need to build a future without him) or move to Saudi.

If he had multiple offers and still opted for Saudi I think it would be fair to judge the choice.

Do agree that it seems a shame this is the move he is making at 29. I think in a pre PSR world somebody like Newcastle or Arsenal could have made a bid. 

14 minutes ago, Wsaint said:

I'm not saying it's not, just a shame to see it play out like that.

It's not a bad move for him though.    I have a lot of respect for JWP; he's a player who has overachieved in the Prem through his well honed dead ball skills which have always been well in advance of the rest of his skill set.    He deserves credit too for many years of service to Saints, for which he was well rewarded.   One thing you can say about Ralph's tenure as Manager - he helped JWP to lift his game and develop a technique which included pressing, tackling and intercepting.     He is effectively now a journeyman - but that's not a put down, just a confirmation that he is an average, steady PL midfielder who has found his level.

https://twitter.com/ExWHUEmployee/status/1829457790210883927

The best West Ham source:

"There has been a late move by a couple of clubs including Palace apparently but he looks set to join Southampton at this stage. He has also said his goodbyes this morning"

Edit: How do you embed the tweet?

Edited by Luke SkyWalker-Peters
Q

21 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

It’s conjecture but without a good offer on the table it’s hard to know. It’s deadline day and the choice seems to be see out his Brentford contract (they may limit his game time if they need to build a future without him) or move to Saudi.

If he had multiple offers and still opted for Saudi I think it would be fair to judge the choice.

Do agree that it seems a shame this is the move he is making at 29. I think in a pre PSR world somebody like Newcastle or Arsenal could have made a bid. 

Perhaps betting is illegal in Saudi and it helps him shake the habit lol 😀 It wont be about money lol

Edited by OldNick

2 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Not looking great for a striker if Cornet is the loan then

I think the club have put it all into Ramsdale if I'm honest, we'll have very little money to play with now. 

Striker is still an option for a loan, even with Cornet as a loan. We're limited to 2 English loans, but we can have more European loans.

I'm not sure why some posters think Cornet will play LWB? He has played most of his career (and his best seasons of his career) at RW... a position we have been trying to fill all summer since Tella/Brooks left. We have been linked to half the left-footed attacking players in Europe for this reason.

Edited by Luke SkyWalker-Peters
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

https://twitter.com/ExWHUEmployee/status/1829457790210883927

The best West Ham source:

"There has been a late move by a couple of clubs including Palace apparently but he looks set to join Southampton at this stage. He has also said his goodbyes this morning"

Edit: How do you embed the tweet?

After you've replaced X with twitter, go to the end of the string and press return, it will then embed. (On android)

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think the club have put it all into Ramsdale if I'm honest, we'll have very little money to play with now. 

Striker is still an option for a loan, even with Cornet as a loan. We're limited to 2 English loans, but we can have more European loans.

I had read that there is still 20-30 mil available to us on estimate before any further exits. I don't think we're in as dire straights as many believe. Just being smart about how we spend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hopper said:

I had read that there is still 20-30 mil available to us on estimate before any further exits. I don't think we're in as dire straights as many believe. Just being smart about how we spend.

Yeah, isnt the Ramsdale money basically what they got for Alcaraz ?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Birmingham after Stansfield for 9-10m think he will be great there . He scored great goal against us and looked good but too similar to Archer for that money?

Spending £10m in League 1 is ridiculous. I’ll laugh if they don’t win that league by about 30 points. 

I still think we lack a real striker who plays up the middle, is strong, holds the ball up well and shoots from anywhere because it's an instinctive part of his game. It absolutely goes against the grain but right now i would be delighted if we announced INGS!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1