Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

I wonder if this is essentially the squad for the season now then (with players in brackets unlikely to stay/ be available).

If Onuachu, Sulemana, ABK and Manning can be shipped out over the course of tomorrow, maybe there's still room for a more traditional centre-forward type, possibly that Gift fella or someone like him. 

image.png.e68df593df7306c291dc00c6477a194d.png

• Like 4

Just now, Patches O Houlihan said:

So at LWB currently that's Cornet, KWP, Taylor, Manning, Meghoma, Captain Jack. Plus Bree has played there. Meghoma & Manning look likely to go to me.

You missed out Larios. Meghoma can continue playing for the academy team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

So at LWB currently that's Cornet, KWP, Taylor, Manning, Meghoma, Captain Jack. Plus Bree has played there. Meghoma & Manning look likely to go to me.

Presumably the purchase of Cornet means no Wee Man?

And Larios. Came on as a sub last night at Cardiff so he's not completely out of the picture.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Presumably the purchase of Cornet means no Wee Man?

Cornet coming may mean KWP is actually going, and we needed Cornet as a wide attacker, and additional cover for Taylor as the first choice. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

I wonder if this is essentially the squad for the season now then (with players in brackets unlikely to stay/ be available).

If Onuachu, Sulemana, ABK and Manning can be shipped out over the course of tomorrow, maybe there's still room for a more traditional centre-forward type, possibly that Gift fella or someone like him. 

Nice Excel. Can you add a graph?

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

You missed out Larios. Meghoma can continue playing for the academy team.

Isn't Meghoma out of favour with the club and running his contract down? Was flavour of the month above SAA for a bit but certainly not now. Remind me what happened.

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

And Larios. Came on as a sub last night at Cardiff so he's not completely out of the picture.

Watched Larios in the recent U21 match against West Ham and he looked way below what you'd expect from someone near to the first team squad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

You've set up this squad with two sitting midfielders. In my experience, home and away, since he arrived, RM has never fielded a team with two sitting midfielders.

9 minutes ago, Hengistbury Header said:

You've set up this squad with two sitting midfielders. In my experience, home and away, since he arrived, RM has never fielded a team with two sitting midfielders.

Yeah I know, I'm not saying that we'll play 4-2-1-3, it's more just meant to be a rough sketch of the general areas of the pitch that these players tend to play in. 

Obviously many of them are interchangeable and can play different positions, we'll play different formations etc. 

Just trying to illustrate it in terms of the general 'at least two players for every position' rule, to see if there's anywhere that we obviously still look too weak. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 1

Thought Cornet was someone we should have gone for when Burnley went down, but we didn't have the funds. Not worked out at West Ham, which is a worry, but players coming in from abroad often take a while to settle, so he might at least hit the ground running...which is what we need. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Yeah I know, I'm not necessarily saying that we'll play 4-3-3, it's more just meant to be a rough sketch of the general areas of the pitch that these players tend to play in. 

Obviously many of them are interchangeable and can play different positions, we'll play different formations etc. 

Just trying to illustrate it in terms of the general 'at least two players for every position' rule, to see if there's anywhere that we obviously still look too weak. 

If you move BBD out the left where he has played and Onuachu and Stewart actually depart (as your spreadsheet suggests) then the CF position is the `weak spot'.

1 minute ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

New one on me. Back in Feb there was an article stating he was looking for a move. Poster has ~800 followers and usually posts in German...

Been deleted 

2 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

New one on me. Back in Feb there was an article stating he was looking for a move. Poster has ~800 followers and usually posts in German...

Not convinced it's an area we need to prioritise.....?

13 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Isn't Meghoma out of favour with the club and running his contract down? Was flavour of the month above SAA for a bit but certainly not now. Remind me what happened.

He thought he'd get first team games last season, didn't, and therefore wants to move to get game time now rather than in two years time. I think the words "unlikely to sign a new contract" were bandied around, so maybe we will try to see rather than pick up the compensation, which won't be huge. 

• Like 2

Just now, Chez said:

If you move BBD out the left where he has played and Onuachu and Stewart actually depart (as your spreadsheet suggests) then the CF position is the `weak spot'.

Yup, agree. But bringing in Cornet who likes to play on the left makes me wonder if the longer term plan is to use BBD more centrally when we need to or if Archer doesn't work out. 

I hope so, because BBD doesn't look like a winger to me and Armstrong has never worked down the middle. 

Still feeling greedy and hoping for a deadline day centre-forward. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Thought Cornet was someone we should have gone for when Burnley went down, but we didn't have the funds. Not worked out at West Ham, which is a worry, but players coming in from abroad often take a while to settle, so he might at least hit the ground running...which is what we need. 

Think his biggest problem at West Ham was a really bad calf injury that kept him out for months. We need to be sure that is not still bothering him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Appy said:

Been deleted 

Wouldn't be surprised if this was intended for a random football rumour profile, but accidentally posted from a personal account.  

Edited by 23rdSaint
Spelling

8 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I agree.

Here's a screen shot of the post

Joe Scally.png

Decent player. Plenty of games under his belt. Reasonably tall and rangey. Has the ability on the ball we need, and drop his shoulder, come inside and get out of trouble (like KWP does). Very right footed. Can't see us signing him while we have three right backs at the club. 

38 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Meghoma & Manning look likely to go to me.

Blimey, we writing players off at 18 now? Always thought he looked really good. I know we have Larios at a similar age but bloody hell lets loan him out a couple of seasons at least and see how he does. 

7 minutes ago, saintant said:

Think his biggest problem at West Ham was a really bad calf injury that kept him out for months. We need to be sure that is not still bothering him.

Ah. That's not good. I thought it was just down to Moyes discovering he wasn't 6'3 so couldn't find a spot in his land of giants.

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Blimey, we writing players off at 18 now? Always thought he looked really good. I know we have Larios at a similar age but bloody hell let’s loan him out a couple of seasons at least and see how he does. 

No-ones writing him off, he wants out and isn’t signing a new contract.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Blimey, we writing players off at 18 now? Always thought he looked really good. I know we have Larios at a similar age but bloody hell lets loan him out a couple of seasons at least and see how he does. 

if he wont sign a new deal, as rumoured, then its more a case of him being likely to go rather than us wanting him to.

• Like 3

Just now, ErwinK1961 said:

No-ones writing him off, he wants out and isn’t signing a new contract.

Just now, Chez said:

if he wont sign a new deal, as rumoured, then its more a case of him being likely to go rather than us wanting him to.

Fair enough, I hadn't seen any of those rumours. 

3 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Can’t help wondering if the hold up (if indeed there is one) is to do with Arsenal finalising their replacement before allowing Ramsdale to finalise his move. Given they had it virtually all agreed and the deadline is tomorrow, hopefully the pieces all start to fall into place imminently…

At this juncture, I feel I need to confirm I’m not Alex Crook. 

IMG_0277.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

That's not me saying he should go. I'd love for him to stay. But he's gone from being SAA's best bud and making appearances, to being well down the pecking order with a <12 month contract.

Just now, gio1saints said:

If we get Cornet I think Sam Edozie will get loaned out. 

I for one hope he does. He needs a confidence building loan to the Championship, in a side where he can play week in week out. I haven't given up on him, he just needs to fine tune his decision making. He often does the hard part by beating his man and completely snatches at the shot/cross. Like Shea Charles, he's not ready for the Premier League yet.

• Like 3

Just now, revolution saint said:

Cornet signing could mean Sulemana is off, might give us some cash for a striker…. Cutting it fine though 

He's injured. Can't see him going anywhere. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Right. No more signings tonight. Night all. Let's hope for two or three in tomorrow and maybe a surprise one. 

I'm working all night, I'll break any news if and when it happens, but will disguise it to look like I'm ITK. 😀

As for Cornet, that's an interesting link, not least because he can play LWB/LB and it seems like we are trying to cover our bases in the eventuality that KWP leaves, but also because as an attacking outlet he's very good, he can play on both wings. WhoScored lists his strengths and weaknesses:

+ Strengths

Long shots
Strong
Aerial Duels
Strong
Tackling
Strong

- Weaknesses

Offside awareness
Very Weak

Maxwel Cornet's Style of Play

Likes to do layoffs

Fitness appears to be an issue, as it is with seemingly most of the players we sign, but if he stays fit, he can be a real asset. I think I like this link more than I like the return of Fraser TBF. I wonder if it will contain an option to buy...

11 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I'm working all night, I'll break any news if and when it happens, but will disguise it to look like I'm ITK. 😀

As for Cornet, that's an interesting link, not least because he can play LWB/LB and it seems like we are trying to cover our bases in the eventuality that KWP leaves, but also because as an attacking outlet he's very good, he can play on both wings. WhoScored lists his strengths and weaknesses:

+ Strengths

Long shots
Strong
Aerial Duels
Strong
Tackling
Strong

- Weaknesses

Offside awareness
Very Weak

Likes to do layoffs

Fitness appears to be an issue, as it is with seemingly most of the players we sign, but if he stays fit, he can be a real asset. I think I like this link more than I like the return of Fraser TBF. I wonder if it will contain an option to buy...

Would be surprised if there wasn’t at least an option or a mechanism for triggering a compulsory purchase like appearances etc

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

+ Strengths

Long shots
Strong
Aerial Duels
Strong
Tackling
Strong

- Weaknesses

Offside awareness
Very Weak

Likes to do layoffs

The new Papa Waigo. Perhaps like him he’s always offside because he’s so good the others in the team aren’t good enough to pick out his runs?

Edited by Turkish