Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

12 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Links have gone quiet since the Ramsdale news broke. Guessing that deal has eaten up more of our budget than we were originally  planning when going for Bijlow. We badly need an exciting attacking signing but I could see Fraser coming in and that's it. 

We still have a loan spot.

19 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Links have gone quiet since the Ramsdale news broke. Guessing that deal has eaten up more of our budget than we were originally  planning when going for Bijlow. We badly need an exciting attacking signing but I could see Fraser coming in and that's it. 

Yeah, I wonder if the goalkeeper fiasco threw a spanner in the works for the Alberto deal, given they wanted an £18m obligation.

Have there been any other striker links? Presumably, we'll looking for someone with that profile. I just hope we haven't left it too late.

2 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Worrying cos it worked so well before in the Prem didn’t it?
He’s better out wide, he’s not up to the standard to outfox the centre backs we’ll be up against week in, week out.

To be honest, he (AA)wasnt up to outfoxing the Championship centre backs. Most of his goals came from him cutting in from the wing. I dont see him as a centre forward.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Personally I’m quite glad we’re not spaffing £18m on Alberto, looked like a very high-risk signing to me.

Alberto was the striker I really wanted. Not complaining, its been an amazing window and we are stronger in every department

Bit underwhelmed by Cornet and guess it means no JWP. Be a sickener if he went to a rival relegation candidate. At least Cornet is experienced I guess. I would have thought Fraser will be our final addition. Also experienced so can see a blend here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Well, needed another attacking option. 

Definitely not exciting but probably needed a cheap option after the Ramsdale deal. Hopefully there's still remnants of the Burnley spell in there.

He's something we don't really have - quick powerful winger. Just got to hope he stays fit.

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 2

An attacking signing was always more likely to take the loan slot. Plus there hasn't really been any credible source linking us to jwp. Shame though as I was quite warming to the idea. Wonder if it will be Ramsdale, Cornet and Fraser and that's it. I still wouldn't be confident we'd have enough in attack. 

Cornet is a great player on his day, capable of winning games single-handedly and a good goal record from out wide. From what I understand he was a Sullivan signing and Moyes never wanted him 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

image.thumb.png.987f1274ec338b052d719da514297aa7.png

Interesting.

He was pretty decent a few seasons ago. Can't say I know what he's been up to recently.

Didn't he get sold/signed for a fairly chunky fee?

Could well be decent in his own right, but he's another one who likes to play wide so if that's the end of our business then that still leaves us very light at centre forward. 

Onuachu obviously doesn't have a future, Stewart can't be expected to suddenly get fit and stay fit. 

That puts a huge amount of pressure on Archer, because what are our other options down the middle? Armstrong we've tried many times and it doesn't work. 

What other options do we have at no. 9 if Archer doesn't work out - move Brereton-Diaz into the middle? 

Looks like we're relying on Archer, Armstrong, BBD and Cornet for most of the goals, plus whatever Fernandes, Dibling, and maybe SAA/ Lallana can chip in. I wouldn't count Edozie or Sulemana as a goal threat based on their records. 

I'm really not convinced that's enough firepower at PL level. Hope I'm wrong though. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Could be decent in his own right, but he's another one who likes to play wide so if that's the end of our business then that still leaves us very light at centre forward. 

Onuachu obviously doesn't have a future, Stewart can't be expected to suddenly get fit. 

That puts a huge amount of pressure on Archer, because what are our other options down the middle? Armstrong we've tried many times and it doesn't work. 

What other options do we have if Archer doesn't work out - move Brereton-Diaz into the middle? 

If we don't sign a striker and Martin's answer is to move Armstrong into the centre forward position and play Cornet I'm going to get mad. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Could be decent in his own right, but he's another one who likes to play wide so if that's the end of our business then that still leaves us very light at centre forward. 

Onuachu obviously doesn't have a future, Stewart can't be expected to suddenly get fit. 

What other options do we have if Archer doesn't work out - move Brereton-Diaz into the middle? 

Yep. BBD doesn't look like a winger to me. Archer or BBD to play through the middle, with AA as an absolute emergency isn't as bad as some people seem to think imo. Personally I'd keep the big fella and use him as required, but RM ain't going to do that. 

13 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Really good move this getting Cornet in. Liking this 😊

I genuinely love your enthusiasm Dave, I don't think I've ever read a negative post from you. 

• Like 5

I liked the sound of Cornet when it was first reported yesterday, but I looked into his record at West Ham and posted yesterday that in his two years at West Ham he has only started two league games there.

Now, he is 27, so just coming into his peak and he was a good player previously at Burnley. I wanted us to go for him the summer he went to West Ham. Suppose it just depends and we hope that he can regain that form after a long layoff like Ings did here, or he could spend the next year on the treatment table like Stewart.

It's a risk, but it does add more Premier League experience to our side and adds a bit more competition at the top end of the pitch. It doesn't pick itself anymore and after recent seasons of the first eleven picking itself, we have certainly added depth and competition this summer.

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Someone tried working it out on twitter and reckons we have about 20 million left with FFP. More if we sell tall paul, ABK, Sulemana etc 

Was it Andrew or Saint Rob? If not, I don’t want to know 

Edited by Appy
  • Haha 4

He only signed for Lyon in January with a sell on clause to his previous club. 4 year contract so will not be cheap.

Feels highly unlikely that we can resolve all of that on deadline day.

On paper looks handy though.

Cornet for Burnley was excellent, almost kept them up when he arrived in January - that's how you sign a player to impact in January. Very direct, very quick, strong - can score all sorts of goals. I remember him smashing in a couple against us for Burnley, at least one outside the box. Was handy on the day at St Mary's, their best player.

I think he got a serious leg injury right at the start of his WHU career, and then got an infection on the back of an injury, there were real risks he'd have to lose his leg at one stage - so that's why he's been out for so long. Obviously WHU evolved on from him though, so he never really got the chance now he's back fit.

A loan is a low risk try option in an area where we needed an extra bit of punch.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hopper said:

I like Cornet. One bonus is he's actually quite sound defensively. Could be an option at LWB when we play a 5.

So at LWB currently that's Cornet, KWP, Taylor, Larios, Manning, Meghoma, Captain Jack. Plus Bree has played there. Meghoma & Manning look likely to go to me.

Presumably the purchase of Cornet means no Wee Man?

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
Forgot Larios!

2 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

So at LWB currently that's Cornet, KWP, Taylor, Manning, Meghoma, Captain Jack. Plus Bree has played there. Meghoma & Manning look likely to go to me.

Presumably the purchase of Cornet means no Wee Man?

Don't let Russ hear you mock Stevo at LB 😂

Edited by Hopper