Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 minute ago, sfc4prem said:

If we stick with Baz, the likelihood is we shall be sent straight back down to the second tier.

I doubt he'll have much, if any involvement next year at all, so we're looking at a stop gap - McCarthy is an easy option for the club.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I doubt he'll have much, if any involvement next year at all, so we're looking at a stop gap - McCarthy is an easy option for the club.

How long is he out for?

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

How long is he out for?

At least 10 months was in the official announcement, back end of next season if we're realistic I think. Need a new GK for the entire season really.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don t want Bazunu to be anywhere near our first 11.

Macca just demonstrated the effect of having an efficient shop stopper in our team with less dilly dalling on the ball which resulted in our defenses taking less risks and Looking way more solid.

Edited by stevy777_x
  • Like 11

1 minute ago, stevy777_x said:

I don t want Bazunu to be anywhere near our first 11.

Macca just demonstrated the effect of having an efficient shop stopper in our team with less dilly dalling on the ball which resulted in our defenses taking less risks and Looking way more solid.

I don't think it was his 'dilly dialling' on the ball which caused us many problems, he was great with his feet. The issue with Baz is that he cannot save any decent shot on goal, which is a pretty big failing for any aspiring top level GK.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That's how I see it playing out. Not that I agree with it, but the club have gone all in on Bazunu so they're not going to replace him with a bought player. (As much as I think they should do)

I'm hoping what we've offered is a one year extension on modest terms, as back up to a hopefully much more capable number one. The logic being that Baz wont feature at all for the first six months at least and we want someone better than Lis on the bench.

If we're trying to keep him to start PL games... Christ.

7 hours ago, SNSUN said:

His injury list:

23/24 Adductor injury Apr 25, 2024 May 12, 2024 17 days Real Sociedad2
23/24 Hamstring injury Jan 24, 2024 Feb 22, 2024 29 days Real Sociedad6
23/24 Hamstring injury Oct 1, 2023 Nov 24, 2023 54 days Real SociedadScotland13
21/22 Knee surgery Mar 31, 2022 Jul 7, 2022 98 days Arsenal FCScotland14
21/22 Ankle problems Oct 21, 2021 Nov 6, 2021 16 days Arsenal FC3
20/21 Knee injury Apr 3, 2021 May 5, 2021 32 days Arsenal FC8
20/21 Knee injury Jan 19, 2021 Feb 16, 2021 28 days Arsenal FC6
20/21 Virus Oct 7, 2020 Oct 16, 2020 9 days Scotland3
20/21 Groin injury Sep 13, 2020 Sep 27, 2020 14 days Arsenal FC2
19/20 Shoulder injury Dec 9, 2019 Mar 14, 2020 96 days Arsenal FC19
18/19 Groin surgery May 7, 2019 Jun 9, 2019 33 days Celtic FCScotland4
18/19 Hip injury Apr 19, 2019 May 2, 2019 13 days Celtic FC2
18/19 Calf stiffness Mar 31, 2019 Apr 5, 2019 5 days Celtic FC2
18/19 Hip injury Dec 7, 2018 Feb 22, 2019 77 days Celtic FC17
18/19 Knock Nov 15, 2018 Nov 22, 2018 7 days Scotland2

Yeh, but apart from that …. 

10 hours ago, DT said:

Do you mean England Under 19, £20m rated, 7 goals from midfield in 45 games, wanted by Tottenham and other Prem clubs as well as those in Europe Jobe Bellingham? That one? Yeah. No idea.

Jeez

Who’s rated him £20m, The Sun? 

Your unhealthy obsession with me having an opinion on anything is getting a bit much now. You’ve been like this all year.

You must be fuming that I was delighted with promotion because deep down you have nothing to argue back. 🔔

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, davefizzy14 said:

I'm hoping we bring in another gk on loan to compete with McCarthy next season with Lumley providing the backup whilst Bazanu is on the recovery path.

No, please no. Complete overhaul in the GK dept required in my book. Although Club probably won’t agree and imagine Bazunu will improve beyond recognition by not playing. 

• Like 4

Jobe Bellingham’s standing will always be inflated because of his older brother.

Not doubting his ability but even to put him in a starting Premier League team is beyond questionable. He hasn’t done anything notable this season, Sunderland is a very average team and he’s just been one of the better players in it. 
We’ve season one season wonders many times. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Now because I said it I expect full DT keyboard warrior, but if someone else posts the same thing they’ll either be no reaction or an agreement. 😂

19 minutes ago, Gingeletiss said:

If we stick with Adams and McCarthy, we most definitely will go down.

Disappointing to read about them possibly remaining. If Adams considers staying it’ll be because no other EPL club are offering him a contract. Will that dawn on our people? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

At least 10 months was in the official announcement, back end of next season if we're realistic I think. Need a new GK for the entire season really.

12 minutes ago, trousers said:

9 months, wasn't it? So around Christmas/New Year I guess

Thanks looks like it’ll be a loan then as we are balls deep in Bazunu for some reason 

Stu Armstrong leaving is a shame but wish him all the best, definitely a senior leader that we’ll have to replace.

Che Adams personally I would offer no more than a squad role to, and reduced wages. He’s pissed around all season when offers have been on the table, now were promoted why should we honour that?

Alex McCarthy new contract is questionable. Did well in the play offs but does it mitigate how abysmal he was for the last several years whilst picking up silly money? I don’t think so.
Keep Lumley third choice or get rid. Bazunu as back up initially due to injury. A new GK is a must. Someone that won’t get beaten at the near post time and time again, and someone that can occasionally make a save.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

No, please no. Complete overhaul in the GK dept required in my book. Although Club probably won’t agree and imagine Bazunu will improve beyond recognition by not playing. 

Agree. McCarthy has had plenty of chances to prove himself but apart form a couple of short spells of good form has proven himself to not be good enough as first choice premier league keeper. Bazunu has now had two full seasons with us rarely looking competent even for the championship. We need a decent number one and experienced back up but I doubt we’ll get more than a loan until Baz is fit 

15 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I'm hoping we bring in another gk on loan to compete with McCarthy next season with Lumley providing the backup whilst Bazanu is on the recovery path.

I mean, this loan needs to be far better than McCarthy, rather than 'competing' with him.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That's how I see it playing out. Not that I agree with it, but the club have gone all in on Bazunu so they're not going to replace him with a bought player. (As much as I think they should do)

would be a crazily stupid and lazy idea to run it back. 
most likely result would be deadline panic after a poor start.
There’s loans/free agent routes to go down if they want to avoid paying a big fee whilst bringing in competition / initial starter

14 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Jobe Bellingham’s standing will always be inflated because of his older brother.

Not doubting his ability but even to put him in a starting Premier League team is beyond questionable. He hasn’t done anything notable this season, Sunderland is a very average team and he’s just been one of the better players in it. 

Now because I said it I expect full DT keyboard warrior, but if someone else posts the same thing they’ll either be no reaction or an agreement. 😂

If the club was serious about Bellingham family they would get ahead of the game, pay for IVF treatment and secure the signing on birth of a 3rd Bellingham, maybe the best.

• Haha 1

Guess we've learnt nothing as a club as per usual. Muddling along with squad members that weren't good enough to keep us up last time round. By all means keep McCarthy as number two, but we really should be looking at an upgrade on both him and Baz. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Guess we've learnt nothing as a club as per usual. Muddling along with squad members that weren't good enough to keep us up last time round. By all means keep McCarthy as number two, but we really should be looking at an upgrade on both him and Baz. 

Yeah cos the window has closed.  Jeez, some people need to get a grip.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Yeah cos the window has closed.  Jeez, some people need to get a grip.

What's the thinking behind having contract talks with McCarthy then? Lumley signed another contract recently, Lis due back from Turkey. Not as if we need him to be a back up with those two still on the books. 

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

What's the thinking behind having contract talks with McCarthy then? Lumley signed another contract recently, Lis due back from Turkey. Not as if we need him to be a back up with those two still on the books. 

Lis is staying at Goztepe I heard.

The only acceptable means to keep McCarthy is as a number 2 on a cheap 1 year deal, Lumley as 3 and then get a new GK in to play next season. If McCarthy plays next season as number 1 then may as well not bother.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Lis is staying at Goztepe I heard.

The only acceptable means to keep McCarthy is as a number 2 on a cheap 1 year deal, Lumley as 3 and then get a new GK in to play next season. If McCarthy plays next season as number 1 then may as well not bother.

Agreed.

On 17/04/2024 at 00:22, HarvSFC said:

Now, knowing our luck with McCarthy, he'll have a good end to the season and we'll offer him a new contract and a wage increase.

Jokingly, made this prediction after McCarthy's first appearance of the season. He just keeps coming back and the powers that be keep offering a new deal after a handful of good appearances just as his contract is about to come to an end. Was only selected for 8 of the 49 league fixtures this season, so wasn't considered good enough for 84% of the season, but we're looking to retain him for the Premier League, again. Two keepers already on the books, McCarthy would keep it to three, not many clubs add more than three senior goalkeepers even with a long term injury. 

Been negligent/hamstrung by the goalkeeper position for nine years now, since Forster's knee injury and been offering deals from what seems like emotions, rather than on pitch contributions and McCarthy wasn't getting a look in until Bazunu's injury.

If our recruitment team can't find better player's than McCarthy and Adams then we need a new recruitment team.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Thanks looks like it’ll be a loan then as we are balls deep in Bazunu for some reason 

Wilcox might swoop for him in the January window. For old times sake. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm starting to get the feeling we'll be starting next season with Mccarthy between the sticks with the intention of giving the first choice position back to Bazunu upon his return to fitness. F***!

That would be absolute madness. We need to get Alex McCarthy off the wage bill not give him another year on massive wages just to keep Baz's seat warm. Don't believe SR would be that dumb.

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

If McCarthy is staying as backup for a new keeper then great. He should not be our stop gap till Bazunu is fit (who shouldn't be first choice anyway).

McCarthy can't get a game for pretty much two years and then becomes our first choice keeper in the Prem. Madness.

Did we sack all the scouts and one of them wiped the black box on the way out?

• Like 5

I fear we haven’t yet given up on the Bazanu experiment ( or more accurately trying to recoup some of the stupid fee we parted with) so it might end up being a stop gap for a year until he is ready to return to letting in shots for Saints. I don’t wish the lad ill but hope we don’t see him next season as it will be tough enough staying up without him between the sticks. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

If McCarthy is staying as backup for a new keeper then great. He should not be our stop gap till Bazunu is fit (who shouldn't be first choice anyway).

McCarthy getting any game time next season outside of the cups would be a failure or an injury crisis. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

McCarthy getting any game time next season outside of the cups woukd be a failure or an injury crisis. 

Agree with that.   AM's performances in the play offs were impressive but it should't obscure the many sub-standard Prem performances he has handed in featuring near post goals, fumbles and poor kicking.    Apart from Boruc we haven't had a goalkeeper to inspire confidence since Niemi, and it's definitely time the Club aimed higher.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Stu Armstrong leaving is a shame but wish him all the best, definitely a senior leader that we’ll have to replace.

Sad day. Hope he goes to Italy. Would hate to see him in a Fulham or a West Ham shirt. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Agree with that.   AM's performances in the play offs were impressive but it should't obscure the many sub-standard Prem performances he has handed in featuring near post goals, fumbles and poor kicking.    Apart from Boruc we haven't had a goalkeeper to inspire confidence since Niemi, and it's definitely time the Club aimed higher.

And even Boruc had his howlers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gingeletiss said:

If we stick with Adams and McCarthy, we most definitely will go down.

Timon Wellenreuther would be a good alternative and definately within our reach

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

He’s 18 and scored as many goals in his first full season as any of our more experienced midfielders. He’s shown versatility, leadership and has played a nearly full season whilst doing it in an average team.

4 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Interesting that Armstrong leaving is a shame and needs replacing but definitely not with an 18 year old who has out scored and out played him this season. The lad has not only been more robust than him but has shown his versatility and leadership by spearheading Sunderland’s attack at times, even through weird form and managerial changes. He’s 18 ffs. There aren’t many 18 years old doing that for anyone let alone for a team in the Championship.

But nope, his brother blah blah blah, done nothing notable blah, blah. 

I hate to break it to you but as a club our only chance of getting really top players is by taking a chance on them when they are young. And it feels like if you can’t take a chance on an 18 year old who is doing all he is in the championship then when would you? Unfortunately, or fortunately for you, if he’s available I suspect others above us will take that chance too. 

The audacity to claim he’s done nothing notable ffs 😂 You’d be wetting yourself with excitement if Dibling or Ballard had this kids record. In fact…I’ve just noticed you said O’Hare would be a nice signing recently…who Bellingham also out scored this season. 

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, a1ex2001 said:

That’s because your a fan and nobody is dangling ridiculous sums of money in front of you, current footballers are looking to set their families up for generations you are crazy not to milk it for every penny you can get.  Ings injury record also brings things into sharper focus he will be acutely aware it could all be over any moment.

I’ve heard this setting my family up for generations line.  I disagree completely.  For all I know, my grandchildren who aren’t even born yet might be utter fucking wankers.  To be fair, it runs in the family.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

How about Viktor Johansson? Only one year left on his contract.

Already signed for Stoke - and we should probably be aiming higher.

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

And even Boruc had his howlers.

Yes, who can forget the (Boruc) goal conceded against Stoke on that windy day.  A howler in every sense of the word.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

I’ve heard this setting my family up for generations line.  I disagree completely.  For all I know, my grandchildren who aren’t even born yet might be utter fucking wankers.  To be fair, it runs in the family.

This is like a 'Viz' top tip, but 'have your children sterilised to ensure the madness stops'.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

He’s 18 and scored as many goals in his first full season as any of our more experienced midfielders. He’s shown versatility, leadership and has played a nearly full season whilst doing it in an average team.

Interesting that Armstrong leaving is a shame and needs replacing but definitely not with an 18 year old who has out scored and out played him this season. The lad has not only been more robust than him but has shown his versatility and leadership by spearheading Sunderland’s attack at times, even through weird form and managerial changes. He’s 18 ffs. There aren’t many 18 years old doing that for anyone let alone for a team in the Championship.

But nope, his brother blah blah blah, done nothing notable blah, blah. 

I hate to break it to you but as a club our only chance of getting really top players is by taking a chance on them when they are young. And it feels like if you can’t take a chance on an 18 year old who is doing all he is in the championship then when would you? Unfortunately, or fortunately for you, if he’s available I suspect others above us will take that chance too. 

The audacity to claim he’s done nothing notable ffs 😂 You’d be wetting yourself with excitement if Dibling or Ballard had this kids record. In fact…I’ve just noticed you said O’Hare would be a nice signing recently…who Bellingham also out scored this season. 

Couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, austsaint said:

All this at the near post nonsense. Do you play football? The velocity of the ball kids with skill can now generate with the new ball is amazing. Add to that the way the ball moves makes it so much harder for a keeper. McCarthy has been badly treated byte fans and whilst he does make mistakes so do the best.

I feel had he been in the side from Xmas we would have gained auto promotion, although how it panned out it was better !!

• Like 1