Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Ryan Fraser will be released from Newcastle before deadline day expires

Hopefully, means we’d be able to get him after the deadline. 

5 hours ago, Saint Scott said:

Sliding doors moment. Join us, or Atalanta, or even stay at Celtic, and that likely doesn't happen. Poor bloke. I haven't seen the challenge but the guys on TalkSport cannot believe the Crawley lad didn't even get booked. The saving grace for Brighton is that the window is still open... or they hold on to Gilmour who was touted to be sold or loaned out.

Edited by SNSUN

4 hours ago, goodymatt said:

We would all take Prowsey back, right?

It goes without saying that I love and respect JWP. He has many excellent qualities... but he's actually quite limited as a footballer, in my opinion. Obviously the stuff he does well (superb passing, dead ball scoring, incredible fitness, winding up Zaha) he does REALLY well and of course he'd do a job for us if he returned. His free kick goals alone would net us points.

But his weaknesses I think are actually amplified here due to how RM wants us to play. JWP isn't great at taking players on, he doesn't travel with the ball especially well and his playstyle inherently slows us. And while I'm of course not blaming him, let's remember that he was ever-present throughout a long period where Saints were the poorest they've been while I've been a supporter (since the early/mid '90s). Plus, in all honesty I don't think he was an especially great captain, either.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

There goes Trabzonspor's alternative for Onuachu

They're gonna have to cough up the readies for TP then. Looks like our prior unwillingness to budge on the fee might have been worthwhile.

13 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Sliding doors moment. Join us, or Atlanta, or even stay at Celtic, and that likely doesn't happen. Poor bloke. I haven't seen the challenge but the guys on TalkSport cannot believe the Crawley lad didn't even get booked. The saving grace for Brighton is that the window is still open... or they hold on to Gilmour who was touted to be sold or loaned out.

Wonder if they are looking at JWP now?

16 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

It goes without saying that I love and respect JWP. He has many excellent qualities... but he's actually quite limited as a footballer, in my opinion. Obviously the stuff he does well (superb passing, dead ball scoring, incredible fitness, winding up Zaha) he does REALLY well and of course he'd do a job for us if he returned. His free kick goals alone would net us points.

But his weaknesses I think are actually amplified here due to how RM wants us to play. JWP isn't great at taking players on, he doesn't travel with the ball especially well and his playstyle inherently slows us. And while I'm of course not blaming him, let's remember that he was ever-present throughout a long period where Saints were the poorest they've been while I've been a supporter (since the early/mid '90s). Plus, in all honesty I don't think he was an especially great captain, either.

I agree with that but still think for a loan he would provide valuable experience (along with Ramsdale and Lallana) and a bond with the fans, which is important, sometimes more than performances alone. His dead ball contributions would also be handy to link to the striker I hope we are working on now. So personally all for it. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Wonder if they are looking at JWP now?

After spending over £25 million on O'Riley, PSR may hinder that. They may get a loan in but likely they'll just keep Gilmour. Sucks for O'Riley though. I'm hoping our lot stay away from injury, particularly Dibling and his invisible shin pads.

11 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Thanks. Yes nasty and it looked uncontrolled. Definitely a "lower league" challenge.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Just imagine him breaking Beckham's record at sms for us and tell me you wouldn't want that. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

What's the delay with Ramsdale?

We usually announce players in the evening when people are home from work. More eyes.

They also need to do all the media bits.

Edited by Hopper

2 minutes ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

There isn't one? The bid was only accepted last night shortly before the game and he only travelled down this morning to start the medical/contract signing/media duties part of the process?

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’d rather Saints stayed up and we have other priorities away from CM.

Not sure it’s one or the other, as with most transfer windows. Concurrent. Personally in favour. 

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Latest talk of Maxwell Cornet, although seems a bit speculative as you read through. I liked him as a player and surprised to hear he’s so out of favour at WH.

https://www.thewesthamway.com/2024/08/29/nightmare-over-maxwel-cornet-set-for-late-southampton-move/

Thought it was fairly easy "to be out of favour at West Ham". 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Why "Bugger?" General opinion seems that he is a really good prospect and we did really good business getting him.🤔

You got the wrong of the stick…it was because I’d miss-identified the wrong player on SSN.

Odd I thought it was a paperwork issue now seems it’s an injury why off.

New: Armando Broja’s loan move to Ipswich is off. Chance something else develops pre DDay, but likelihood will recover and rehab from foot injury and then revisit options in January. 

Details ⬇️ @TheAthleticFC 
w/ @SJohnsonSport #ITFC #CFC 

👉nytimes.com/athletic/live-…

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

Odd I thought it was a paperwork issue now seems it’s an injury why off.

New: Armando Broja’s loan move to Ipswich is off. Chance something else develops pre DDay, but likelihood will recover and rehab from foot injury and then revisit options in January. 

Details ⬇️ @TheAthleticFC 
w/ @SJohnsonSport #ITFC #CFC 

👉nytimes.com/athletic/live-…

I think someone at the Guardian suggested it was due to some Achilles concerns after conducting the medical

19 minutes ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

Sweeepstake:

Club seeking Hagrid outfits for unveiling

Dispute over contract stating which characters from children's novels/films he's allowed to dress as a)around the training ground b) on matchdays

Raw chicken

Other scandal awaiting to hit press making club nervous

Late bid from Ipswich

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

he was brilliant playing Russball in the first few games before we was sold at the start of last season and was always better at playing as an attacking 8 on the right of a midfield 3 when he first broke through rather than as a 6 in a double pivot playing Ralphball. Although he did a great job for us there under Ralph.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

I think someone at the Guardian suggested it was due to some Achilles concerns after conducting the medical

It's a shame what's happened to Broja really, at the start of that 21/22 season with us he had the world at his feet. Looked unplayable, not just domestically but internationally he was scoring for Albania most games.

Got to wonder if his career would have panned out differently had he signed for us, as we tried to do that in the January. He'll probably end up at a top half Championship team in the second half of the season.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Badger said:

Sweeepstake:

Club seeking Hagrid outfits for unveiling

Dispute over contract stating which characters from children's novels/films he's allowed to dress as a)around the training ground b) on matchdays

Raw chicken

Other scandal awaiting to hit press making club nervous

Late bid from Ipswich

Dropped a tin of peas (or alternative vegetable) on his foot.

Awaiting delivery Of Hagrid cosplay outfits to the Megastore to sell before the Brentford game.

3 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Dropped a tin of peas (or alternative vegetable) on his foot.

Awaiting delivery Of Hagrid cosplay outfits to the Megastore to sell before the Brentford game.

Was it Dave Beasant that dropped a jar on his foot and got injured?

23 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes but simply calling him a prick because he doesn't want to wear the laces is not on imo. I thought he explained himself rather well. 

He didn't explain himself at all, it was a cleverly worded statement that avoided explaining what beliefs it is that prevent him from participating in the show of support.  Had he at least included something like 'I fully support peoples right to equal treatment whatever there sexuality' I might have had more time for him but he didn't he just made a nicely worded statement that basically says I don't believe in supporting the rights of people with a different sexuality.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, davefizzy14 said:

Sounds like this one is off the table. Hopefully we have other targets we ate working on. Broja would be ideal. 

Screenshot_20240829_163636_Sky Sports.jpg

Thanks Dave. So which other strikers are available? 

Or are we just committing to a winger ie Cornet or the Dutch/Morrocan LGBT aficionado?