Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Same can be said about the links to Fraser. Absolutely no benefit / value / need in us making a move for him. 

I tend to agree on Fraser. He did well for us last season in the Championship but not sure he has what it takes for The Premier League. Maybe a useful squad player but think we can and should be doing better.

Edited by saintant
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

We would all take Prowsey back, right?

Would be a shrewd loan signing. Wouldn't take him permanently based on his valuation and wage demands.

• Like 1

Just now, goodymatt said:

I just don't know where he fits. It feels like we've moved on from him as a squad.

If it's a choice between attacking reinforcements and JWP I'd almost certainly float to the attacking reinforcements.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I just don't know where he fits. It feels like we've moved on from him as a squad.

If it's a choice between attacking reinforcements and JWP I'd almost certainly float to the attacking reinforcements.

Hopefully we can shift some of the dead wood and that leaves us with enough for a winger, Fraser on a free foreign striker on loan with option and jwp as a domestic loan. You'd have to be happy with that alongside Ramsdale. 

Leaving the sentiment aside, I wouldn't unless it was a loan deal with West Ham paying most of his wages (unlikely). 

We're well stacked with numbers and quality in central midfield now and very rarely does it work out when people go back in football or in life in general. The main thing we needed in the middle of the park was more athleticism and people driving forward with the ball which in Fernandes/Big Les we now have and which is not JWP's game at all. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Hopefully we can shift some of the dead wood and that leaves us with enough for a winger, Fraser on a free foreign striker on loan with option and jwp as a domestic loan. You'd have to be happy with that alongside Ramsdale. 

Yeah that's fair, I just wouldn't want a move for JWP to close any opportunities for positions I feel are more important. If we can still sort out the other positions and get a bonus JWP, I don't think anyone would moan. Lots of competition in CM then.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Re: JWP - I just don't know where he fits. It feels like we've moved on from him as a squad.

I agree we need an attacker or two first. 

BUT - We're away at Palace on 29th Dec. Assuming one of Fernandes/Big Les/Flynn is injured. Who would you rather start in their place? JWP, Smallbone or Aribo

• Like 1

Good, back to an appropriate discussion for the thread. I love JWP but he has some limitations as a player and normally I would’ve said yes in a heartbeat - but the reality is at the moment (in my opinion) he wouldn’t bring in enough extra qualities that we are short of in the first team, to justify the cost of having him here - we have other, more pressing shortfalls to address.

in relation to the other debate.:

“Don’t be a dick” is a good life maxim. Allow other people to live their lives however they wish if it’s with other consenting adults and isn’t actively hurting another person (real hurt  not imagined transgressions). stick up for marginalised people and be an ally for people who can’t defend themselves. Basically be nicer. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

He'd be a starter, but it is one of the positions we don't really need another player. Other positions are more of a priority.

Central midfield number 6 and number 8 roles has...

Downes

Fernandes

Ugochukwu

Dibling

Smallbone

Aribo

Lallana

Adding Ward-Prowse makes 8 players for 3 roles. Would need to lose someone if he joined.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

If it's right at the very end of the window and we've been unable to get a striker/winger in with the 2nd PL loan slot... then yes

• Like 1

No JWP for me , can't add another ball recycling crab to the mix, he was so good for us but i think we should be looking to move on, I like the idea of Dibling, Fernandes and Ugochukwoo as they all seem like they can drag us up the pitch stark contrast to Smallbone and JWP

Edited by danjosaint
  • Like 2

JWP only works, for me, if we are loaning out or selling some current MF and even attacking squad. His wages are high. But his quality is higher than our average quality for sure. And he can do things from set pieces we will benefit from too. 

The most likely would be Will or Joe, Kameldeen, Sam Edozie or SAA. These sacrifices would release space and wages for him. 

We should, however, probably prioritise a goal scorer first. 

20 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This is where I’m at with it. We’re desperate for a striker and in significant need of a winger I think. Midfield just isn’t a priority.

However, to me he’s undeniably an upgrade on Smallbone, Aribo and an aging Lallana, and the as yet unproven (but very exciting) Dibling and Fernandes. He has experience and most importantly a goal threat which we are desperately in need of. I think he was top/joint top scorer in our last two EPL seasons.

To me he’s a nice to have, and if we can genuinely afford him then I’m in favour, but not at the expense of attackers. We could currently field 6 or 7 midfielders you’d be happy enough with, but probably only one or two forwards you could say the same about.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Chewy said:

This is where I’m at with it. We’re desperate for a striker and in significant need of a winger I think. Midfield just isn’t a priority.

However, to me he’s undeniably an upgrade on Smallbone, Aribo and an aging Lallana, and the as yet unproven (but very exciting) Dibling and Fernandes. He has experience and most importantly a goal threat which we are desperately in need of. I think he was top/joint top scorer in our last two EPL seasons.

To me he’s a nice to have, and if we can genuinely afford him then I’m in favour, but not at the expense of attackers. We could currently field 6 or 7 midfielders you’d be happy enough with, but probably only one or two forwards you could say the same about.

If we could get Smallbone and Aribo out, then I would absolutely get JWP back if it was workable. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

Alex Fcuking Crook just been on Talk Sport talking up the Ward Prowse loan rumour….

he's such a clown. Does anyone have a list of the "south coast football experts" classics?

I remember Austin well and now we have Ramsdale, must be loads more

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

he's such a clown. Does anyone have a list of the "south coast football experts" classics?

He was probably around 6 years old at the time of Oliver Bierhoff.

He’s a fcuking Man United follower as well… (I can’t bring myself to say “fan”)

3 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

He was probably around 6 years old at the time of Oliver Bierhoff.

He’s a fcuking Man United follower as well… (I can’t bring myself to say “fan”)

a Man United customer/consumer

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Ings and Bertrand about to sign new contracts. Both left and never signed any new deals. 

I'm sure he said Wanayama was Cardiff bound before we signed him in 2013.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the window closes with jwp at the hammers still and it turns out we were never in for him. 

Martin specifically said at the last presser that it's not a position we're in for.

• Like 2

Neither Kostic or Joao Mario deals are happening. Sulemana attracting some interest from Ligue 1 but would be loan rather than permanent and only depending on what we get in first. Club quite relaxed about Tall Pall deal as Turkish window goes on for longer and Trabzonspor increasingly desperate to sign a striker given their lack of goals and failure to get other targets. 

That's all I've been passed on, though that was yesterday midday ish so it may have changed since then.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, saintant said:

I tend to agree on Fraser. He did well for us last season in the Championship but not sure he has what it takes for The Premier League. Maybe a useful squad player but think we can and should be doing better.

I can understand the sentiments but Edozie is our go to on the left. His footwork is dazzling but his output is below zero. He needs sending out on loan to learn beating his opponent means nothing if the resulting pass if there is one goes to an opponent. Fraser is a good footballer that utilises his lack of pace by checking out onto his right foot and putting in dangerous accurate balls.

14 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Martin specifically said at the last presser that it's not a position we're in for.

Is that the same Martin that keeps telling us with a straight face that Ross Stewart is "two weeks away" and that we're not in the market for signing players who are likely to break our wage structure (ref. Ramsdale)...? :)

How Much Is A Pinch Of Salt?

Edited by trousers

11 minutes ago, imadirtyurchin said:

If we did resign JwP - would he still count as a homegrown player? Guessing not. 

I think you're missunderstanding what the 'homegrown' rule means. Its basically anyone who's been at an english club since they were 18, its got nothing to do with them playing for the clubs academy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

I think you're missunderstanding what the 'homegrown' rule means. Its basically anyone who's been at an english club since they were 18, its got nothing to do with them playing for the clubs academy.

I don’t know if I misunderstood. I just simply didn’t know 😂 so at an English club since 18 (continuously) except for loans I’m guessing. 

24 minutes ago, trousers said:

Is that the same Martin that keeps telling us with a straight face that Ross Stewart is "two weeks away" and that we're not in the market for signing players who are likely to break our wage structure (ref. Ramsdale)...? :)

How Much Is A Pinch Of Salt?

Striker sorted, welcome Robbie Fowler! 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, imadirtyurchin said:

I don’t know if I misunderstood. I just simply didn’t know 😂 so at an English club since 18 (continuously) except for loans I’m guessing. 

tbf I think I got it wrong myself. Its 3 continuous years before they're 21 (from what I can see). So Bellingham as an example, would be a 'homegrown' player should he return. 

Someone like Larios would also be considered a homegrown player... In short, its a bit of nonsense really. 

Have to say i havent seen the use of pricks this much since sunderland away.

Anyway back to players, i feel martin will be going for something like this up front with regards to depth, wasnt sure where diblings natural position is but put him as AM.

Archer/Armstrong/Stewart

Diaz/Sulemana/Edozie                                                                            New player/ SAA/ Wee-man if back or Edozie covers

MattyF/Dibbling/Aribo

Right wing is my major concern currently given Arma is filling in there and we essentially just have SAA unless weeman is back and whilst, i'd love another striker I dont think we can affort one. 

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Have to say i havent seen the use of pricks this much since sunderland away.

Anyway back to players, i feel martin will be going for something like this up front with regards to depth, wasnt sure where diblings natural position is but put him as AM.

Archer/Armstrong/Stewart

Diaz/Sulemana/Edozie                                                                            New player/ SAA/ Wee-man if back or Edozie covers

MattyF/Dibbling/Aribo

Right wing is my major concern currently given Arma is filling in there and we essentially just have SAA unless weeman is back and whilst, i'd love another striker I dont think we can affort one. 

Personally I think Arma is better from the right than centrally. The PL is full of big lumps and he just gets bullied when in the middle. Plus if he's there then you can't have a big striker on the pitch to win headers, create knock downs, hold it up effectively. Whether he likes it or not in the PL he surely is an inside forward/winger

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

He'd be a starter, but it is one of the positions we don't really need another player. Other positions are more of a priority.

Central midfield number 6 and number 8 roles has...

Downes

Fernandes

Ugochukwu

Dibling

Smallbone

Aribo

Lallana

Adding Ward-Prowse makes 8 players for 3 roles. Would need to lose someone if he joined.

I chose Lallana.