Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Italy is one of my favourite countries I’ve been to. Love the food, Tuscany, the lakes in the north etc. My dad owns a home in northern Italy and loves going there and says it’s an amazing place for holidays, but to live permanently its not to great. Lots of bureaucracy, certain areas struggle with crime and a poor infrastructure. 

mine too, been all over it many times, it's wonderful. The train system pisses all over ours. €50 for a train from Milan to Rome, (my boss lives in Milan) when i told him a standard train from Leeds to London was £260 if you need to be in london before 9.30am he almost spat his tea out.

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

mine too, been all over it many times, it's wonderful. The train system pisses all over ours. €50 for a train from Milan to Rome, (my boss lives in Milan) when i told him a standard train from Leeds to London was £260 if you need to be in london before 9.30am he almost spat his tea out.

Me too. COuldn't agree more Turkish

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm sure that was poorly phrased as that reads like we aren't spending money in order to stay in the league. I'm sure that's him putting a brave face on it. 

I think that's exactly what he means. Not that he doesn't want us to stay in it. Nor that he doesn't think we can. Just that the purchases are not just for this season. Some may take longer to develop than others. Also, that they won't overspend in a panic. Which was a disaster when they did try that.

1 minute ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I think that's exactly what he means. Not that he doesn't want us to stay in it. Nor that he doesn't think we can. Just that the purchases are not just for this season. Some may take longer to develop than others. Also, that they won't overspend in a panic. Which was a disaster when they did try that.

Overspending in a panic is idiotic. Spending a sufficient amount that we can afford in order to give us the best chance of staying in the league is entirely what I expected us to do. That will also mean helping us for future season as well. 

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

you're kidding? London is a shithole now. Edinburgh is okay. Could possibly add Bath and Chester to the list. 

Not really. It has a larger glam centre than many euro cities. Go beyond that central district/city centre and they're all the same. Some nice suburbs but plenty of sink estates.

15 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm sure that was poorly phrased as that reads like we aren't spending money in order to stay in the league. I'm sure that's him putting a brave face on it. 

I know owners and managers will sometimes simply tell fans what they want to hear, but if Dragon is genuine about his ambitions for the club (post Wembley I think) then getting relegated again can’t be part of that long term plan. 

Its too damaging  

I have a feeling we’ll be pleasantly surprised come Friday night. 

29 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I went to Venice a few years ago.  Fucking shithole now, got more graffiti than the Thornhill bronx.

If ever the Venice Tourist Board needed a slogan

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Yeah but come on if you played for Napoli you'd live down the Amalfi coast which is simply stunning. 

For a month or two yes. Much longer than that and the endless hairpin bends, slow traffic, and crowds of tourists might get a bit tiresome. Restaurants, views and watersports are good though.

Yes your millionaire footballer pad will be lovely but there's precious little flat land around there, so neighbours will be close, and you'll want security to drive you in and out of home games, and likely to watch the house/family while you are gone. Organised crime is still very much a thing there, and I know this from first hand family experience. 

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
watersports not waterspouts - accidental poor taste bearing in mind recent Italian news :-(
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

For a month or two yes. Much longer than that and the endless hairpin bends, slow traffic, and crowds of tourists might get a bit tiresome. Restaurants, views and waterspouts are good though.

Yes your millionaire footballer pad will be lovely but there's precious little flat land around there, so neighbours will be close, and you'll want security to drive you in and out of home games, and likely to watch the house/family while you are gone. Organised crime is still very much a thing there, and I know this from first hand family experience. 

You just need to read some of the recent stories about players getting robbed at traffic lights, training ground etc, Napoli is unlike other Italian clubs and the president is ken bates reincarnated.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

On what is that conclusion based?

I did say probably not definitely .. even players we have loaned to the championship the only real success in recent times was tella .. do you think are we are gonna sign some cheap Brazilians who don’t look that great in the first place send them off to goztepe for a year and they send us back the next Ronaldinho ?  Didn’t lis just have a good season on loan ? We are in desparate need for a keeper yet he’s not in the picture is he ?

at the moment it seems Sr main goal is to use us to help the likes of goztepe to sign players that they wouldn’t usually which will make their other clubs more valuable in the future .. still seems a far stretch that we ourselves will see much benefit. 

Just now, pimpin4rizeal said:

I did say probably not definitely .. even players we have loaned to the championship the only real success in recent times was tella .. do you think are we are gonna sign some cheap Brazilians who don’t look that great in the first place send them off to goztepe for a year and they send us back the next Ronaldinho ?  Didn’t lis just have a good season on loan ? We are in desparate need for a keeper yet he’s not in the picture is he ?

at the moment it seems Sr main goal is to use us to help the likes of goztepe to sign players that they wouldn’t usually which will make their other clubs more valuable in the future .. still seems a far stretch that we ourselves will see much benefit. 

Cheap because they are out of contract!

Plus not just Brazilians we've signed for to loan to Goztepe, Kuryu Matsuki looks very promising.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

We were in Luxembourg for a few days 2 weeks ago. €5 to park the car for a day in the centre of Luxembourg city and public transport was free. 
My sister used to live in Australia and where she was public transport was free in the weekend. Why don’t they do that over in the UK too? Fewer cars on the roads and even people who have les to spend can easily take a bus in to town, have something to eat and boost the local economy. 

I’d say that Fraser’s return is more likely now we’ve signed Ramsdale. He’s a perfect target for Ramsdale’s long, low out ball. That makes us stronger defensively (less farting around at the back) and offensively (much faster break).

I’d love to see that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

I’d say that Fraser’s return is more likely now we’ve signed Ramsdale. He’s a perfect target for Ramsdale’s long, low out ball. That makes us stronger defensively (less farting around at the back) and offensively (much faster break).

I’d love to see that.

Unless Fraser can sort his contract out he'd likely only come here on loan and having spent £25m on a keeper, I'd imagine (hope) we'd want to save our loan slot for a decent centre forward. 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Unless Fraser can sort his contract out he'd likely only come here on loan and having spent £25m on a keeper, I'd imagine (hope) we'd want to save our loan slot for a decent centre forward. 

I don’t think a loan is a desirable for anyone. It’s a question of breaking the player/club impasse so Fraser can walk away.

1 hour ago, CanadaSaint said:

I’d love to see that.

Kostić apparently not keen to come, so potentially a left wing/LWB spot available for Wee Man; assuming Edozie is out on loan. Taylor of course has done ok so far at LWB.