Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Just now, Saint_clark said:

All up front? Highly doubt it. I'd wager the majority of that will come later.

Why are you moving the goalposts around like that? You asked how much we were getting. Any deal for players we sign will also likely be structured and not all up front, so what’s your point?

Just now, Saint_clark said:

All up front? Highly doubt it. I'd wager the majority of that will come later.

No idea how it’s structured, that’s just the headline figure being reported. Agree though that it’s unlikely to all be up front, hardly any deals seem to be done like that anymore, it generally seems to be done in instalments and then some add-ons

I've seen lots of MCarthy but only a little of Ramsdale. Normally I'd be thinking along the lines of whether his traditional goalkeeping attributes would be getting us more points.

However, under Martin there's also his ability to be able to pass more comfortably across the defence, to ballowinge considered. That would allow us to pick up on that side of the system following Baz's injury.

It's odd, but if say he was worse than McCarthy at that side of his game, and Martin kept insisting on it, it would offset some of the points he'd gain for us elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I've seen lots of MCarthy but only a little of Ramsdale. Normally I'd be thinking along the lines of whether his traditional goalkeeping attributes would be getting us more points.

However, under Martin there's also his ability to be able to pass more comfortably across the defence, to ballowinge considered. That would allow us to pick up on that side of the system following Baz's injury.

It's odd, but if say he was worse than McCarthy at that side of his game, and Martin kept insisting on it, it would offset some of the points he'd gain for us elsewhere.

The video of Ramsdale kicking is 90% long balls. Good long balls but not really the sweeper keeper stuff that Baz is pretty good at. Bijlow was more highly rated with his feet, better statistically, and a cheaper permanent buy - hence was first choice. But it would seem a wrist that may well need an op and 6 months recovery was beyond our risk tolerance. 

Look at that list of players. If we signed any one of those (with the possible exception of Trippier due to age) we'd be over the moon, so yes Ramsdale would be very welcome.

team of the year.png

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Does that matter for the purposes of FFP? 

If it's a standard deal, then we can bank the sale (say 16m) to offset this year's figures, even if we are receiving it, in annual fees. For players coming in, we can split it across as many years of the contract.

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

Kostic doesn't want to leave Jive apparently.

Why would he leave that beautiful city for Shirley Mutant Mile or rat infested Ocean Village ? The bugger I saw at Lazio game could have put a saddle on it

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

The video of Ramsdale kicking is 90% long balls. Good long balls but not really the sweeper keeper stuff that Baz is pretty good at. Bijlow was more highly rated with his feet, better statistically, and a cheaper permanent buy - hence was first choice. But it would seem a wrist that may well need an op and 6 months recovery was beyond our risk tolerance. 

Look at that list of players. If we signed any one of those (with the possible exception of Trippier due to age) we'd be over the moon, so yes Ramsdale would be very welcome.

team of the year.png

That's what makes it odd. For other side's, a 'keeper or striker may look great. For us, because of our system, they could have a lot less impact. Ramsdale seems to be an upgrade. But if he goes long more often than not, and we lose possession, it's not much use to Russ.

Likewise for a forward. They might be great getting on the end of crosses. But can they drop deep to provide that extra out ball from midfield? If they are a poacher, they aren't much use to Russ' system.

I think of it as Transfer VAR. That initial excitement with the link, before the realisation and delay in figuring out if they suit Martin's approach. 🙂

• Like 1

Doesn't seem to be any rumours of a genuine striker signing beyond the lad at Corinthians (who my football-fanatical Brazilian friends do not rate at all). So when we got relegated in part because we didn't replace a proven striker in Ings, did we think it a likely outcome that we'd avoid relegation by repeating the no-striker tactic? There aren't enough goals in the squad unfortunately.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

SSN were reporting it as £21.4m……..!

Nice. Maybe £16m base, rising to that with add-ons? No idea, but you have to say that regardless of whether the fans think he should be given a chance in the side or not, those are pretty good numbers for a fringe player who clearly wasn’t going to be part of the plans under RM. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 1

Well with just over 48 hours to go and arguably 3 positions still to fill (goalkeeper, striker and winger) it's certainly going to be a nervy next 2 days. Only going by the press snippets coming out we seem along way off from nailing down those three vital positions.

I've quite like the business we have done so far, BUT without doubt 2 of the 3 positions i think we need incomings for are absolutely vital to us having a chance of staying up. That refresh button on the work laptop is already suffering!

So we still want to get rid of three players ideally, tall Paul, ABK and Kamaldeen.

We are desperate to shift these now if we want to bring in a keeper, wide player and striker.

I imagine the keeper and wide player will be complete out of the blue last minute rush jobs who will cause pandemonium on here.

Went back and read the Russ transfer comments from the interviews yesterday. Does loaning Ramsey fit his statement:

"A couple of years ago it was about spending money for here and now to stay in the league. This time we haven't done that. That has been agreed by us. We're not just going to go all in for one season and put the club in a difficult position further down the line.

Doesn't seem to align. Perhaps if there is a permanent move afterwards? 

28 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Why would he leave that beautiful city for Shirley Mutant Mile or rat infested Ocean Village ? The bugger I saw at Lazio game could have put a saddle on it

I heard a rumour that you don't have to live in Shirley or ocean village if you don't want to. Just a rumour though, unconfirmed.

Plenty of nice places for a footballer to live in the new forest, and closer to staplewood too. 

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Went back and read the Russ transfer comments from the interviews yesterday. Does loaning Ramsey fit his statement:

"A couple of years ago it was about spending money for here and now to stay in the league. This time we haven't done that. That has been agreed by us. We're not just going to go all in for one season and put the club in a difficult position further down the line.

On a slight tangent, I wonder if RM has had any assurances that he stays in the job even if we go down? Because it would be pretty difficult for him otherwise, buying into a transfer policy that is all about the long-term, if he thought he might still be for the chop if we do badly in the short-term. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pingpong said:

I heard a rumour that you don't have to live in Shirley or ocean village if you don't want to. Just a rumour though, unconfirmed.

Plenty of nice places for a footballer to live in the new forest, and closer to staplewood too. 

True. Dibden Purlieu’s just down the road, in case any of them need a new hip or fancy an all-you-can-eat carvery 

4 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

On a slight tangent, I wonder if RM has had any assurances that he stays in the job even if we go down? Because it would be pretty difficult for him otherwise, buying into a transfer policy that is all about the long-term, if he thought he might still be for the chop if we do badly in the short-term. 

Given his new contract I'd be surprised if we sacked him on relegation. Seems to be a long term project.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

To those comparing Italian cities to places in England; are there any English cities that trump an Italian city? I can't think of any. 

I’ve always thought that culture-wise, Stoke beats the shit out of Florence 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

I think he has reading between the lines of some of his video interviews since the playoff final

Edited by Patches O Houlihan

11 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

To those comparing Italian cities to places in England; are there any English cities that trump an Italian city? I can't think of any. 

Naples is a proper crime ridden toilet apart from the monuments, and they suffer with earth movement as they are on a geological fault. Bin men are always on strike whenever I have visited, and the waste piles up on every street corner absolutely reeking. 

My wife took a taxi into the town centre and the driver suggested she take her watch off and put it in her pocket in case they were car jacked for it at traffic lights. 

The Italian economy is in a bit of a hole, and the southern two thirds of it don't get very much of the monetary pie. The grass isn't always greener.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Naples is a proper crime ridden toilet apart from the monuments, and they suffer with earth movement as they are on a geological fault. Bin men are always on strike whenever I have visited, and the waste piles up on every street corner absolutely reeking. 

My wife took a taxi into the town centre and the driver suggested she take her watch off and put it in her pocket in case they were car jacked for it at traffic lights. 

The Italian economy is in a bit of a hole, and the southern two thirds of it don't get very much of the monetary pie. The grass isn't always greener.

Blimey!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

I know a couple of guys who lived in Trapani for a while and couldn’t wait to leave. Drug addicts would come up to them in the street and threaten them for cash with dirty syringes, when they parked their car some guy would come up to them and basically say, "give me €20 to not slash your tyres whilst you’re gone," that kind of thing. I’ve heard from quite a few people that places like Bari, Brindisi and Pescara are really not much better.

Don’t believe everything you see in picture postcards. Large parts of Italy are a lot worse than the U.K.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Alfie House confirming Alcaraz deal is done, and it does include Victor Hugo to Goztepe. Immediately above that in my Twitter timeline this:

Not ideal...

hugo.jpeg

Ok so really not sure how a player joining Goztepe on loan from another club benefits us.

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Ok so really not sure how a player joining Goztepe on loan from another club benefits us.

There is a buy option on him. If he does well and they take up the buy option he is in the Sport Republic group and has a way to get a UK work permit. If he does very well, he could end up moving to Saints.

10 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I know a couple of guys who lived in Trapani for a while and couldn’t wait to leave. Drug addicts would come up to them in the street and threaten them for cash with dirty syringes, when they parked their car some guy would come up to them and basically say, "give me €20 to not slash your tyres whilst you’re gone," that kind of thing. I’ve heard from quite a few people that places like Bari, Brindisi and Pescara are really not much better.

Don’t believe everything you see in picture postcards. Large parts of Italy are a lot worse than the U.K.

I've been to Trapani. The main street is quite pleasant but I can well believe that sort of thing goes on: Most of Sicily is the same. 

Italy is one of my favourite countries I’ve been to. Love the food, Tuscany, the lakes in the north etc. My dad owns a home in northern Italy and loves going there and says it’s an amazing place for holidays, but to live permanently its not to great. Lots of bureaucracy, certain areas struggle with crime and a poor infrastructure. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Chez said:

He’s a mug then.  If it goes tits up his feet won’t touch the ground.

21 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Yeah but come on if you played for Napoli you'd live down the Amalfi coast which is simply stunning. 

46 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm sure that was poorly phrased as that reads like we aren't spending money in order to stay in the league. I'm sure that's him putting a brave face on it. 

37 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

I went to Venice a few years ago.  Fucking shithole now, got more graffiti than the Thornhill bronx.

• Like 1