Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

With the standard of defenders that Arsenal have in front of me so would I be.

So are you suggesting that Ramsdale under Sheffield United wasn't better than present day McCarthy would have been? How do you think he got a move to arsenal in the first place? 

1 hour ago, Saint Scott said:

SkySports and Alex Crook both reporting Ramsdale isn't as close as suggested.

Expect his announcement video to drop shortly 

Going to Ipswich apparently if my source is correct

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Mate, please stop. You cannot thrust pedantry in the face of every opinion you disagree with - you'll drive yourself and everyone else mad. Just be content with expressing your own opinion.

image.gif.dc1fa71c5f6c86f9954eccd18f3aed9b.gif

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

Will be interesting to see what becomes of him, not many players who go back to South America from Europe ever resurface but at least if Charlie does we should get a hefty sell on fee.  Good luck to the lad he always put the effort in but it hasn't worked out for him here.

Hopefully ex Zenith striker Yuri Alberto is about to prove you wrong 😃.

I have a lot of time for flemengo as followed them for a while ever since the days of the emperor, so happy he's at a massive successful club.

17 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Oh well that’s that then. He wouldn’t have saved one goal in one match so therefore he’s no better than him and we shouldn’t sign him. 

You’re on a wind-up right? 

Who do you think we should sign? 

Im comfortable with Macca, he cant kick the ball that well but hes not that poor. As I said if we get Ramsdale that's fine, but I'm not that sure he's that much better.

Time will tell. 

1 minute ago, OldNick said:

Im comfortable with Macca, he cant kick the ball that well but hes not that poor. As I said if we get Ramsdale that's fine, but I'm not that sure he's that much better.

Time will tell. 

Come on, you can't be serious with this. He's about 10 levels above McCarthy, I've watched McCarthy enough to know that.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Time will tell. 

What do you base that assessment on? He's a recent international who until recently was the number one keeper at a top 4 club. He was player of the season at Sheffield United just three years ago. What metric are you comparing him and McCarthy? 

• Haha 3

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Come on, you can't be serious with this. He's about 10 levels above McCarthy, I've watched McCarthy enough to know that.

What makes you 10 levels higher? Im sure his pass to Charly was no worse than Maccas at Newcastle. When we watch Ramsdale every week we may see issues that we haven't on TV. Ramsdale is a better keeper but I personally feel hes not that much better. Im grateful to Macca for how he performed last season and on Saturday he kept the score down.

1 minute ago, OldNick said:

What makes you 10 levels higher? Im sure his pass to Charly was no worse than Maccas at Newcastle. When we watch Ramsdale every week we may see issues that we haven't on TV. Ramsdale is a better keeper but I personally feel hes not that much better. Im grateful to Macca for how he performed last season and on Saturday he kept the score down.

The saves he made on Saturday were pretty routine, even Baz would have saved them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Thanks Mr McCarthy

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

What do you base that assessment on? He's a recent international who until recently was the number one keeper at a top 4 club. He was player of the season at Sheffield United just three years ago. What metric are you comparing him and McCarthy? 

Player of the season, that rings a bell somewhere. Am I wrong that McCarthy was also tipped at one time, but I could be wrong. 

I dont know how many times I have to say it, but Im happy for Ramsdale to come but Iam not convinced he is the massive upgrade

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Ramsdale is a better keeper but I personally feel hes not that much better

The thing is, he doesn't have to be "much better" to reduce the number of dropped points. If he earns us, say, a mere 3 more points than our incumbent goalkeepers then that could be the difference between safety and relegation. I, like most, happen to believe that he'll contribute more to our points tally than a meagre 3 points but that would be a bonus.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

So are you suggesting that Ramsdale under Sheffield United wasn't better than present day McCarthy would have been? How do you think he got a move to arsenal in the first place? 

I'm expressing an opinion about a hypothetical situation. Full stop. 

Calm down.

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Player of the season, that rings a bell somewhere. Am I wrong that McCarthy was also tipped at one time, but I could be wrong. 

I dont know how many times I have to say it, but Im happy for Ramsdale to come but Iam not convinced he is the massive upgrade

He's enough of an upgrade to gain us points and increase our chance of survival which is surely the purpose of any signing. 

• Like 2

Just now, trousers said:

The thing is, he doesn't have to be "much better" to reduce the number of dropped points. If he earns us, say, 3 more points than our incumbent goalkeepers then that could be the difference between safety and relegation. I, like most, happen to believe that he'll contribute more to our points tally than a meagre 3 points but that would be a bonus.

Am with you, ensure we win a couple and keep us in 3 draws thats 9pts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Ramsdale is a better keeper but I personally feel hes not that much better. 

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

The thing is, he doesn't have to be "much better" to reduce the number of dropped points. If he earns us, say, a mere 3 more points than our incumbent goalkeepers then that could be the difference between safety and relegation. I, like most, happen to believe that he'll contribute more to our points tally than a meagre 3 points but that would be a bonus.

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

He's enough of an upgrade to gain us points and increase our chance of survival which is surely the purpose of any signing. 

Great minds thinking alike. Can't beat a bit of Saintsweb harmony on a Wednesday afternoon :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, trousers said:

Another member of the 'Blocked by Crook' club here! So long ago I can't even remember exactly what for.... but no doubt would have been politely pointing out something he got wrong. It's almost as if these 'football correspondents' only want to be followed by sychophants blowing smoke up their arse.... can't for the life of me think why they'd want to mask any criticism and have people undermining their self-appointed credibility... ;) 

Fair play to him, he’s made a career of spouting shite.  Talksport think he’s an authority on football rather than the bullshit chancer he is.

28 minutes ago, trousers said:

Judging by the first two games, he would almost certainly have given us 1 more point already (see Newcastle mistake) 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Hopefully ex Zenith striker Yuri Alberto is about to prove you wrong 😃.

I have a lot of time for flemengo as followed them for a while ever since the days of the emperor, so happy he's at a massive successful club.

Let’s hope Yuri is the exception that proves the rule!  Maybe he moved to Europe too young and a period back at home developing will have got him to the right level. Given he has a full international cap there must have been a time when much was expected of him!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

The saves he made on Saturday were pretty routine, even Baz would have saved them.

Ah.. never underestimate Bazunus ability to let the ball fly through his paper hands or just not quite get there to save a shot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint_Ash said:

Gabby Agbonlohor on Talksport saying Ramsdale is too good for us and other clubs should be in for him. 

I pay about as much attention to him as I do to Garth Crooks. Both nutjobs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

Let’s hope Yuri is the exception that proves the rule!  Maybe he moved to Europe too young and a period back at home developing will have got him to the right level. Given he has a full international cap there must have been a time when much was expected of him!

Is the Yuri Alberto move still realistic? I think it more important than signing Ramsdale

3 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

Gabby Agbonlohor on Talksport saying Ramsdale is too good for us and other clubs should be in for him. 

I remember when players were too good for Villa.  By signing them, they became a Champions League team.

Before the pedants cream their pants, I’m not suggesting that’s what we’ll be.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

He's probably correct which is exactly why we should get him. There aren't many players in our squad you would say are above our station. Maybe kwp. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

Does anyone intelligent actually pay any attention to what he says?!!!

• Like 1

Just now, Wade Garrett said:

I remember when players were too good for Villa.  By signing them, they became a Champions League team.

Before the pedants cream their pants, I’m not suggesting that’s what we’ll be.

Precisely. Signing players at the level you are currently is a surefire way to never progress. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

I’m sure every major club in Europe will spring into action based on the word of a twat like him. They really do employ some morons on that station

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

To be fair he is probably right as things stand. If he comes here though we will soon drag him down to our level. 😉

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

To be fair he is probably right as things stand. If he comes here though we will soon drag him down to our level. 😉

Our goalkeeping coaches are world class at training the good habits out and playing as part of suicidal defensive possession unit is a surefire way to crush whatever confidence they arrive with.

59 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Not an upgrade on McCarthy who couldn’t get a game last season ahead of Bazanu until injured?

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

Time will tell. 

Fair enough mate. I don't agree but it's a game of opinions 👍

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

Mark Lawrenson said pretty much the same about Ramirez, and we still got it done. He was also a massive tool. 

• Like 1

On Ramsdale, surely zero chance it happens if there is an obligation attached, even if we were to stay up. Why would Ramsdale himself agree to that? Its quite a drop from Arsenal and after a good season out on loan surely he would have more options?

Only way I see it happening is a straight loan which suits all parties - Arsenal will have more takers at £30m next summer and we get an elite keeper for a crucial season and can re-assess next summer. He gets regular shop window minutes.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Does anyone intelligent actually pay any attention to what he says?!!!

He sounds like a right dinlo, he was on White and Jordon a few weeks ago and sounded well out of his depth it was comical. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Saint_Ash said:

I like White and Jordon to be fair, also like Goldstein but a few others are annoying.

I also like white and jordon.... although the consensus of opinion is that Southampton are quite unpopular on there with alot of the pundits.... how we proved them wrong on the play off final and we will on more things to come. COYS 🟥🟥🟥🟥

• Like 1