Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

10 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Im not too excited about Ramsdale, 'Hes not the messiah hes just a naughty boy'

He let shedloads in with Bournemouth and Sheff Utd, once he joined Arsenal he had a decent defence in front of him. Hopefully Im wrong but I dont see him making a massive difference to us.

The fact is he's significantly better than McCarthy who would undoubtedly let in shedloads more playing for us than Ramsdale. It would be a big coup to persuade him to play for us. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I've heard his legs are wafer thin, he doesn't do well in the heat and he's a bit of a flake, so several weaknesses that would support your opinion.  

I heard there was quite a queue forming for him in the height of the Summer.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, OldNick said:

He let shedloads in with Bournemouth and Sheff Utd, once he joined Arsenal he had a decent defence in front of him. Hopefully Im wrong but I dont see him making a massive difference to us.

Quite right, nowhere near good enough for us and certainly not an upgrade on our current options. 

Who do you think we should go for - Donnarumma maybe? Alisson? Neuer? Maybe get Ter Stegen as well, he'd be a good bench option if one of the others gets a knock. 

• Haha 14

2 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Was given the all clear. Seems like that was special circumstances though

Cheers. Emulating it (let's say us paying Arsenal £20m now, but they buy him back for £15m next summer if we go down - this a £5m loan fee) might not be possible for financial fair play reasons. With us being involved in the Archer subsequent move, I would guess  the ploy will be very familiar to us now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OldNick said:

He was also Bournemouth and Sheffield United's POTY in their relegation campaigns. 

Followed by the PFA Premier League TOTY in 22/23. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The fact is he's significantly better than McCarthy who would undoubtedly let in shedloads more play than bg for us than Ramsdale. It would be a big coup to persuade him to play for us. 

If we stay up, it probably won't do us any harm in attracting other decent players. I'm getting ahead of myself now though. 

Excellent to have this late window link. Hope it comes off. Will give everyone a real lift after the poor start.

• Like 1

Seems to me that Kostic is > Wee Man- on paper at least. And it’s one ir the other for that left winger / back slot. 

A year older (31v 30) but Kostic played at much higher levels, for longer.

Funnily enough wee man probably on higher wages than Kostic ( c£70k pw v c £55k pw) but that’s British leagues inflation for you I guess.

Only real uncertainty is the fee - and his attitude about playing for Saints. Which are critical for RM. We know Wee Man desperate to play for us ( but not that desperate to reduce his financial demands with nufc) but we don’t know about Kostic. Would he consider Saints as a downgrade? IMOalmost certainly. UnlessDusan put in a word. 

I’m Pretty certain wee man is a free transfer or nominal whereas transfermkt have kostic down as a €6.5m player. So it could be a coin flip in terms of what they cost. In terms of class Kistic wins but in terms of instant “ feeling ” with the team Wee man is hugely popular and with supporters too. Wee Man Would be a crowd pleaser whereas Kostic is a cold blooded assessment of quality first and foremost. Neither have resale value. 

Cannot see the kostic move happening tbh. Smokescreen if anything. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

https://x.com/_Morik92_/status/1828772423052742823

If true would be a very good signing.

I don't know him or his career. Watching that video he seems be very `Fraser-like'. Not quick, but busy. Looks like he will run with the ball in straight lines, but he has no real tricks. There is lots of laying it off to others to do the tough bit of finishing. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm not overly excited. I'd like to see a bit more from a winger.

I guess it's a lot tougher to do that in Serie A than say the Championship - which is where the other wingers we have looked at have been plying their trade. 

2 hours ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

I totally get the multi-club model and why SR are signing these players for the other teams, with the hope they’ll one day be good enough for us. 

What I don’t get is why every player seems to be signed by us, then loaned, rather than just signed by Goztepe or Valenciennes? Is it purely because we have more financial room in terms of PSR? Is it the pull of a Premier League club, despite players knowing they’re not actually coming here? Surely it’d make sense for some of these players to just sign directly for the other clubs, to spread the costs amongst the books?

It's probably a little dodgy TBF and we may be investigated for it in the future. If these players were signed by Goztepe or Valenciennes and played out of their skins, they would be worth a lot more when we sign them. If we signed them below market price we'd be investigated for sure. 

Buying them directly and loaning them means when they come back there is no fee involved, even if they end up worth tens of millions. 

Just now, Saint_clark said:

It's probably a little dodgy TBF and we may be investigated for it in the future. If these players were signed by Goztepe or Valenciennes and played out of their skins, they would be worth a lot more when we sign them. If we signed them below market price we'd be investigated for sure. 

Buying them directly and loaning them means when they come back there is no fee involved, even if they end up worth tens of millions. 

“When they come back”

ok then

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Alex Crooks is not a source. He’ll be announced in the next five minutes.

I think he’s still blocked me because I queried where the imminent renewals of Bertrand and Ings were up to.

he blocked me years ago because i reminded him how he tweeted Saints weren't interested in Charlie Austin. He signed the next day.

• Haha 3

Happy to spunk money up the wall on dross like tall paul, Sulemana, Carrillo, etc etc 

But take ages haggling to buy a genuinely class goalkeeper that would instantly improve us massively. Fucking get it done saints!

23 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

spacer.png

I don't think anyone has said that we're that close to an agreement, just that we're back at the table.

That Lyall Thomas guy has been dragged around the houses on this one. He proclaimed we were close a week or so ago, and then out popped Bjlow and he had to frantically backtrack - so he's not going to be dragged back in on this one again by being too committal.

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think anyone has said that we're that close to an agreement, just that we're back at the table.

That Lyall Thomas guy has been dragged around the houses on this one. He proclaimed we were close a week or so ago, and then out popped Bjlow and he had to frantically backtrack - so he's not going to be dragged back in on this one again by being too committal.

Lyall Thomas and Alex Crook both trotting out this line. Which is heartening and as others have said, Ramsdale must be very close to signing. 

46 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The fact is he's significantly better than McCarthy who would undoubtedly let in shedloads more playing for us than Ramsdale. It would be a big coup to persuade him to play for us. 

Ramsdale would have saved no more than Macca on Saturday 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Turkish said:

he blocked me years ago because i reminded him how he tweeted Saints weren't interested in Charlie Austin. He signed the next day.

Another member of the 'Blocked by Crook' club here! So long ago I can't even remember exactly what for.... but no doubt would have been politely pointing out something he got wrong. It's almost as if these 'football correspondents' only want to be followed by sychophants blowing smoke up their arse.... can't for the life of me think why they'd want to mask any criticism and have people undermining their self-appointed credibility... ;) 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

Ramsdale is a long term top goalie, England number two, former Premier League team of the year, still has his peak years ahead of him. I don’t think the £30m obligation is anything other than market value. Saints need to just ensure it’s dependent on survival and have this long term problem position fixed. Feels like a signing we would regret not making. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Ramsdale would have saved no more than Macca on Saturday 

Oh well that’s that then. He wouldn’t have saved one goal in one match so therefore he’s no better than him and we shouldn’t sign him. 

You’re on a wind-up right? 

Who do you think we should sign? 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Hull are about to sign Carl Rushworth on loan from Brighton, which has a knock on to our interest in Steele (if it's still there) as Brighton will have to keep him to compete for the Number 1.

So that's Steele, Johnstone and Bijow off the table. At this stage I can't see anyone bar Ramsdale, it's either him or none in my opinion. None would be a disaster so let's hope it's not that.

There is the fallback option of the hundreds or possibly thousands of other keepers playing here and all over the world that we aren't aware of or haven't even heard of.

Just now, Midfield_General said:

Oh well that’s that then. He wouldn’t have saved one goal in one match so therefore he’s no better than him and we shouldn’t sign him. 

You’re on a wind-up right? 

Who do you think we should sign? 

Imagine a team like saints turning their nose up at a signing like Ramsdale. 

• Haha 5

Just now, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

There is the fallback option of the hundreds or possibly thousands of other keepers playing here and all over the world that we aren't aware of or haven't even heard of.

We're getting dubravka aren't we. 

5 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

Update by Tim Vickery on Talksport. Corinthians are a madhouse and the player is eager to leave. He thinks the move will likely happen. 

Vickery is well versed on SAmerican football and IMO knows his stuff on players and markets.

• Like 4

On 14/02/2024 at 18:34, Convict Colony said:

I can already imagine it "I'll give you 3 million euros over 15 yrs and the rights to onuachu's first born son", these turks are dodgy as fuck when it comes to transfers, look at the lyanco fiasco where they tried to change the offer when he was in turkey about to sign.

Good to see my stereotype of Turkish clubs negotiation tactics was bang on.

Good luck Charly you won me over the second you stepped on the pitch away at Everton in Jan with short sleeve shirt on when it was brass monkeys.

Flemengo are a massive club whose dugouts probably predate Everton's so I have full confidence you will play well for a season before another European club comes sniffing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Good luck Charly you won me over the second you stepped on the pitch away at Everton in Jan with short sleeve shirt on when it was brass monkeys.

Flemengo are a massive club whose dugouts probably predate Everton's so I have full confidence you will play well for a season before another European club comes sniffing.

Will be interesting to see what becomes of him, not many players who go back to South America from Europe ever resurface but at least if Charlie does we should get a hefty sell on fee.  Good luck to the lad he always put the effort in but it hasn't worked out for him here.

• Like 3

Shame. I really liked Charly. Always put a shift in and at times was our only goal threat in the EPL last time. Too bad we don't have a manager that plays a system that plays to Charly's strengths. 

I much prefer watching flamboyant exciting attacking football and players like Charly.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

He would have let in less against Newcastle that's for sure and statistically is far more likely to let in less over a season. 

With the standard of defenders that Arsenal have in front of me so would I be.

2 hours ago, SaintInExile said:

Much prefer the sound of Kostic as opposed to Cornet. Comfortable on the wing and at Wing back.

Going to Ipswich apparently if my source is correct 🤭