Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

16 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I wonder if he has the self awareness to sometimes think to himself that leaving Southampton was a bloody stupid move. He played arguably his best football here. Grass wasn’t so green was it?

I don't get this viewpoint myself.  He did well at Saints and got offered a move to a bigger club, who had big backers, a big name (albeit cr*p) manager, and some big (but again ultimately a bit cr*p) players like Coutinho.  Why wouldn't he take that opportunity?  It didn't work out certainly, but it's better to try than wonder what might have been.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I wonder if he has the self awareness to sometimes think to himself that leaving Southampton was a bloody stupid move. He played arguably his best football here. Grass wasn’t so green was it?

Show Me The Money GIF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I think with Ings people can sometimes forget what he can do when he's a regular. At both Villa and WHU he has been in and out of the side, on the bench, unused sub, 10 mins here and there etc. He's a player who 100% needs games to build up momentum.

When we first got him on loan from Liverpool it took him a while to get up to speed, he picked up a few niggles and didn't really set the room alight in his first year. I remember there being some debate if £20m was good use of our money to make his loan permanent.  But once he played regular his injury's cleared up, his confidence rose and the rest is history.

I wouldn't be totally against an Ings return, as a regular he knows how to score goals and he will score goals.

I think for what we are likely to get from him and the risks involved he will demand too much money - if he wants to come for a realistic wage then possibly but I reckon he'll want too much.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

The money was good though and I'm sure he's happy he made the right choices.

31 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

I don't get this viewpoint myself.  He did well at Saints and got offered a move to a bigger club, who had big backers, a big name (albeit cr*p) manager, and some big (but again ultimately a bit cr*p) players like Coutinho.  Why wouldn't he take that opportunity?  It didn't work out certainly, but it's better to try than wonder what might have been.

He'll have made far more money as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I think with Ings people can sometimes forget what he can do when he's a regular. At both Villa and WHU he has been in and out of the side, on the bench, unused sub, 10 mins here and there etc. He's a player who 100% needs games to build up momentum.

When we first got him on loan from Liverpool it took him a while to get up to speed, he picked up a few niggles and didn't really set the room alight in his first year. I remember there being some debate if £20m was good use of our money to make his loan permanent.  But once he played regular his injury's cleared up, his confidence rose and the rest is history.

I wouldn't be totally against an Ings return, as a regular he knows how to score goals and he will score goals.

He's only ever done that once, his second best goal return in a PL season is 12. He's had form and fitness issues his whole career, that's why he was in and out of the side at West Ham and Villa. Since we sold him his scoring return has been 7-6-2-1, if he hadn't played for us before nobody would want him here.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

I think he'll be putting in the training work, and looking at his bank balance, and I don't mean in a mercenary way. Just a professional way.

There's nothing for him to prove. He might even get more minutes under the new boss there. He could well look back on his earlier injury ravaged seasons, and think it's worked out pretty well. Involved in 30 games last season (1 goal).

1 hour ago, CSA96 said:

Ah well. At his age, he might see himself getting another serie a contract or two, or returning to Brazil, before Qatar. Nice that the loan club we're keen to agree a deal for him.

Currently behind Bedders, THB and Stephens. We've DCC and ABK coming back, plus any new signings, Charles, and any youth players stepping up (Awe for example). Hopefully a deal can be found to suit. He's got a year left, but it would be a wasted one, unless he goes back out on loan.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Ah well. At his age, he might see himself getting another serie a contract or two, or returning to Brazil, before Qatar. Nice that the loan club we're keen to agree a deal for him.

Currently behind Bedders, THB and Stephens. We've DCC and ABK coming back, plus any new signings, Charles, and any youth players stepping up (Awe for example). Hopefully a deal can be found to suit. He's got a year left, but it would be a wasted one, unless he goes back out on loan.

Don’t laugh - but he comes back, plays ok in a couple of staged pre season friendlies ( unlike how he played in his final perf v Gillingham which was the final nail in his coffin) and  suddenly certain European and English clubs might fancy a Brazilian CB for £7-8m. 

Nothing to do with him. Just how to make a few more mil flipping a player. 

PS. Not best player in the world by Miles but you cannot fault his charisma and energy to involve the supporters. Does not stop us conceding goals, losing matches, giving away possession in bad places nor win us matches. But on a human level we all like to see it - our players play with that passion.

With him it’s natural.

I like him as a heart on sleeve person though it’s v unlikely ( and unwise-but who knows what a pre season with us will do?) we will ever see him play for first team again. 

pps. Plus he genuinely feels he can take the ball and drive out of central defender and spray passes all over the pitch at will. He is Brazilian so he must have flair of course. 😂. Anybody who says they don’t like it when he’s chipped ball over a forwards head or attempted a cruyff turn successfully on same is not a real saints fan! 

Edited by gio1saints

30 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

He's only ever done that once, his second best goal return in a PL season is 12. He's had form and fitness issues his whole career, that's why he was in and out of the side at West Ham and Villa. Since we sold him his scoring return has been 7-6-2-1, if he hadn't played for us before nobody would want him here.

18 months ago I’d have been very happy to have him as an option for the relegation battle. 12 & 6 months ago I’d have been very happy for him as an option in the championship. 
He's a natural finisher with an excellent football brain. 
However, I think the time has past and as an option right now it’s a no from me.
We absolutely need a striker but his age and fitness issues are not something we can gamble on. I’d far rather gamble on a Broja to be honest.

Shame as I really thought he’d have been a great fit after his stint at Villa but it wasn’t to be; I think we’ve both suffered (we got relegated, he’s hardly played) and the time has now gone. I’m sure his bank balance is a decent consolation for him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Don’t laugh - but he comes back, plays ok in a couple of staged pre season friendlies ( unlike how he played in his final perf v Gillingham which was the final nail in his coffin) and  suddenly certain European and English clubs might fancy a Brazilian CB for £7-8m. 

It didn't cross my mind we'd get a better deal, but at least someone wanted to buy him. So a little signal sent out to other clubs, even with the caveat that was Qatar.

I can easily see him having some good games. Lots of energy, pashun and commitment. How that, and his skills, fit into Martin's system, even pre season, will be interesting.

29 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

It didn't cross my mind we'd get a better deal, but at least someone wanted to buy him. So a little signal sent out to other clubs, even with the caveat that was Qatar.

I can easily see him having some good games. Lots of energy, pashun and commitment. How that, and his skills, fit into Martin's system, even pre season, will be interesting.

He should be absolutely nowhere near starting a game for us. Ever.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I do not understand the love in for Ings - who wanted out for money, Broja - who scored about seven goals in a season, or Jobe Bellingham - probably because his brother has done very well.

Agreed. Although Bellingham perhaps has some potential. Feels like a load of lazy rumours to me tbh. Silly season is upon us afterall 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Besiktas want Tall Paul, Saints want €15Million.

I don't think £12.5 million for a striker that was their top scorer with 17 goals last season is bad valuation but apparently Trabzonspor are offering 3 million euro less - their alternative according to one report is Oli McBurnie! I think there is a deal to be done there though - we need the money and the player off our books.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I do not understand the love in for Ings - who wanted out for money, Broja - who scored about seven goals in a season, or Jobe Bellingham - probably because his brother has done very well.

Do you mean England Under 19, £20m rated, 7 goals from midfield in 45 games, wanted by Tottenham and other Prem clubs as well as those in Europe Jobe Bellingham? That one? Yeah. No idea.

Jeez

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I don't think £12.5 million for a striker that was their top scorer with 17 goals last season is bad valuation but apparently Trabzonspor are offering 3 million euro less - their alternative according to one report is Oli McBurnie! I think there is a deal to be done there though - we need the money and the player off our books.

McBurnie?! I know we thought Onuachu was bad, but he isnt that bad 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

Tierney from Arsenal would be a smart move

He's on c. £100k a week and spends a lot of time injured... including this season while at Real Sociedad on loan

I realise an injury has never stopped us before :lol:

• Haha 2

Agree. We want players who are proud to be playing for Southampton and see a career with Saints as an aspiration, not greedy chancers who will drop their skirts to the highest bidders.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, gio1saints said:

PS. Not best player in the world by Miles but you cannot fault his charisma and energy to involve the supporters. Does not stop us conceding goals, losing matches, giving away possession in bad places nor win us matches. But on a human level we all like to see it - our players play with that passion.

With him it’s natural.

I like him as a heart on sleeve person though it’s v unlikely ( and unwise-but who knows what a pre season with us will do?) we will ever see him play for first team again. 

pps. Plus he genuinely feels he can take the ball and drive out of central defender and spray passes all over the pitch at will. He is Brazilian so he must have flair of course. 😂. Anybody who says they don’t like it when he’s chipped ball over a forwards head or attempted a cruyff turn successfully on same is not a real saints fan! 

I can play with charisma get the crowd involved and play centre back.I have played on the pitch at SMS before. Although at 65 it may be a bit much to last a season!

We should have learnt our lesson in the Prem you need more than that it’s quality and Lyanco doesn’t have that. Get rid somewhere 

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

Isn't that why most people do their jobs? Or leave jobs for other jobs?

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Isn't that why most people do their jobs? Or leave jobs for other jobs?

Yeah, what a weird idea - accepting an offer to earn more money in your job...who'd do that?

32 minutes ago, DT said:

Do you mean England Under 19, £20m rated, 7 goals from midfield in 45 games, wanted by Tottenham and other Prem clubs as well as those in Europe Jobe Bellingham? That one? Yeah. No idea.

Jeez

I think it's inevitable that opinions on him will be inflated because of his brother, he's no where near his level and likely never will be, but I still think he's a decent player. I think another season in the Championship could aid him though, let him become a star at that level first and then he'll have the pick (or not, if he flops).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think it's inevitable that opinions on him will be inflated because of his brother, he's no where near his level and likely never will be, but I still think he's a decent player. I think another season in the Championship could aid him though, let him become a star at that level first and then he'll have the pick (or not, if he flops).

Shirt sales would be a nice bonus too. 😉

I hope we're after him.

• Like 1

Jobe Bellingham wouldn't have been a starter for us this season, let alone next.

I don't think we have enough cash to be blowing £20m on squad players, especially when we have our own young players like SAA and Dibling who are amongst the best in the country for their age.

• Like 5

By the time we’ve paid the £20m for THB and the probable £15-£20m for Flynn plus the £3.5m for Ryan we’ve already done c £40m - for ZERO new players. 

Add in the new EPL contracts for c 12 of our best players  (the ones we are not moving on) players and that could easily be another £15m. 

Suggests we will rely almost exclusively upon player trading rather than big ticket purchases. 

There may be room for a couple big ticket players ( I mean £15-£20m types)  but I’d not be surprised if they don’t happen and instead we use free transfers for out of contract players that fit our personality and technical   criteria as our primary source. 

Adam Lallana already fits that profile and I think he will not be the last in this window for saints. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Jobe Bellingham wouldn't have been a starter for us this season, let alone next.

I don't think we have enough cash to be blowing £20m on squad players, especially when we have our own young players like SAA and Dibling who are amongst the best in the country for their age.

He would because Downes will stay at West Ham

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

By the time we’ve paid the £20m for THB and the probable £15-£20m for Flynn plus the £3.5m for Ryan we’ve already done c £40m - for ZERO new players. 

Add in the new EPL contracts for c 12 of our best players  (the ones we are not moving on) players and that could easily be another £15m. 

Suggests we will rely almost exclusively upon player trading rather than big ticket purchases. 

There may be room for a couple big ticket players ( I mean £15-£20m types)  but I’d not be surprised if they don’t happen and instead we use free transfers for out of contract players that fit our personality and technical   criteria as our primary source. 

Adam Lallana already fits that profile and I think he will not be the last in this window for saints. 

Whatever the truth of our actual budget I'm afraid that these days £15-20 million does not constitute big ticket players in the Premier League. If it does for us then we are likely in for a rude awakening unless some shrewd deals can be done. SR seem intent on building a team that can hold its own in the top league - if they are true to their word then Dragan will have to part with some serious dosh with an eye on the fair play farcical rules.

Edited by saintant
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, DT said:

Shirt sales would be a nice bonus too. 😉

I hope we're after him.

Shirt sales is a good point. Kids in Saints shirts with Bellingham on the back would sell very well. Personally I can't see us signing him, first season in the Prem, relying on an 18 year old - I can't see it. A more established team like Villa or Newcastle I could see taking a punt on him but not us. Though I would be quite happy if we did bring him on board.

49 minutes ago, Dusic said:

He fits that "young potential with possible large sell on" profile that our powers that be seem to like. Agree with you on SAA and Dibling though, it sends out a negative message if you go and sign an 18 year old to play over your own 18 years olds, and from what I've seen of SAA and Dibling they both look like very promising, exciting players. 

1 hour ago, lambtiss said:

I totally agree, provided that he is fit. He's had a few injury issues. 

A fit Tierney would clearly be an excellent signing but I hope from the Stewart debacle the club have learned not to sign crocks. Particularly at left back when Manning is your other option in the Premier League. His injury list:

23/24 Adductor injury Apr 25, 2024 May 12, 2024 17 days Real Sociedad2
23/24 Hamstring injury Jan 24, 2024 Feb 22, 2024 29 days Real Sociedad6
23/24 Hamstring injury Oct 1, 2023 Nov 24, 2023 54 days Real SociedadScotland13
21/22 Knee surgery Mar 31, 2022 Jul 7, 2022 98 days Arsenal FCScotland14
21/22 Ankle problems Oct 21, 2021 Nov 6, 2021 16 days Arsenal FC3
20/21 Knee injury Apr 3, 2021 May 5, 2021 32 days Arsenal FC8
20/21 Knee injury Jan 19, 2021 Feb 16, 2021 28 days Arsenal FC6
20/21 Virus Oct 7, 2020 Oct 16, 2020 9 days Scotland3
20/21 Groin injury Sep 13, 2020 Sep 27, 2020 14 days Arsenal FC2
19/20 Shoulder injury Dec 9, 2019 Mar 14, 2020 96 days Arsenal FC19
18/19 Groin surgery May 7, 2019 Jun 9, 2019 33 days Celtic FCScotland4
18/19 Hip injury Apr 19, 2019 May 2, 2019 13 days Celtic FC2
18/19 Calf stiffness Mar 31, 2019 Apr 5, 2019 5 days Celtic FC2
18/19 Hip injury Dec 7, 2018 Feb 22, 2019 77 days Celtic FC17
18/19 Knock Nov 15, 2018 Nov 22, 2018 7 days Scotland2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Shirt sales is a good point. Kids in Saints shirts with Bellingham on the back would sell very well. Personally I can't see us signing him, first season in the Prem, relying on an 18 year old - I can't see it. A more established team like Villa or Newcastle I could see taking a punt on him but not us. Though I would be quite happy if we did bring him on board.

He fits that "young potential with possible large sell on" profile that our powers that be seem to like. Agree with you on SAA and Dibling though, it sends out a negative message if you go and sign an 18 year old to play over your own 18 years olds, and from what I've seen of SAA and Dibling they both look like very promising, exciting players. 

A fit Tierney would clearly be an excellent signing but I hope from the Stewart debacle the club have learned not to sign crocks. Particularly at left back when Manning is your other option in the Premier League. His injury list:

23/24 Adductor injury Apr 25, 2024 May 12, 2024 17 days Real Sociedad2
23/24 Hamstring injury Jan 24, 2024 Feb 22, 2024 29 days Real Sociedad6
23/24 Hamstring injury Oct 1, 2023 Nov 24, 2023 54 days Real SociedadScotland13
21/22 Knee surgery Mar 31, 2022 Jul 7, 2022 98 days Arsenal FCScotland14
21/22 Ankle problems Oct 21, 2021 Nov 6, 2021 16 days Arsenal FC3
20/21 Knee injury Apr 3, 2021 May 5, 2021 32 days Arsenal FC8
20/21 Knee injury Jan 19, 2021 Feb 16, 2021 28 days Arsenal FC6
20/21 Virus Oct 7, 2020 Oct 16, 2020 9 days Scotland3
20/21 Groin injury Sep 13, 2020 Sep 27, 2020 14 days Arsenal FC2
19/20 Shoulder injury Dec 9, 2019 Mar 14, 2020 96 days Arsenal FC19
18/19 Groin surgery May 7, 2019 Jun 9, 2019 33 days Celtic FCScotland4
18/19 Hip injury Apr 19, 2019 May 2, 2019 13 days Celtic FC2
18/19 Calf stiffness Mar 31, 2019 Apr 5, 2019 5 days Celtic FC2
18/19 Hip injury Dec 7, 2018 Feb 22, 2019 77 days Celtic FC17
18/19 Knock Nov 15, 2018 Nov 22, 2018 7 days Scotland2

He'll fit in well

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

I'm really ignorant about these things but I'm sure the chairman said that if they can avoid relegation then promotion is worth up to £305 million. So how can we not have enough cash, are we up to our ears in debt or something?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Agree. We want players who are proud to be playing for Southampton and see a career with Saints as an aspiration, not greedy chancers who will drop their skirts to the highest bidders.

We’ll end up with a 6 a side team if that’s your criteria 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

50 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

I'm really ignorant about these things but I'm sure the chairman said that if they can avoid relegation then promotion is worth up to £305 million. So how can we not have enough cash, are we up to our ears in debt or something?

One word 'WAGES' oh and what if we get relegated after  a season having gambled on staying up...... who is going to fund the gap to the 305 from the 150 or so we'd get for a season?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldandtired said:

yes, according to the last set of account there is a reasonable amount of debt (the covid loan makes up a large amount of that), although it's hard for fans to know exactly where the business stands as the accounts came out in March 2024 and they show the previous year 2022-2023 up to the end of June, so they don't show the transfers that happened last summer. We won't find out until March 2025 how we look at this exact moment (June 2024) in time. 

West Ham linked heavily with Luis Guiherme, a midfielder from Brazil. Not sure it impacts the Downes situation a great deal though as Guiherme appears to a more attacking midfielder from the snippets I have read.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, saintant said:

Yeah, what a weird idea - accepting an offer to earn more money in your job...who'd do that?

I would like to think I would show loyalty to Saints if they could set me up for life with one contract.

Edited by Wade Garrett

57 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I would like to think I would show loyalty to Saints if they could set me up for life with one contract.

That’s because your a fan and nobody is dangling ridiculous sums of money in front of you, current footballers are looking to set their families up for generations you are crazy not to milk it for every penny you can get.  Ings injury record also brings things into sharper focus he will be acutely aware it could all be over any moment.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

That’s because your a fan and nobody is dangling ridiculous sums of money in front of you, current footballers are looking to set their families up for generations you are crazy not to milk it for every penny you can get.  Ings injury record also brings things into sharper focus he will be acutely aware it could all be over any moment.

Very well put fans sometimes forget that for most PL footballers playing football is their job and a cruel injury can come at anytime so they try to maximise their earnings when they can

Long-serving goalkeeper Alex McCarthy and striker Ché Adams are also approaching the end of their contracts, with talks ongoing regarding potential new deals.

I'm starting to get the feeling we'll be starting next season with Mccarthy between the sticks with the intention of giving the first choice position back to Bazunu upon his return to fitness. F***!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm starting to get the feeling we'll be starting next season with Mccarthy between the sticks with the intention of giving the first choice position back to Bazunu upon his return to fitness. F***!

That's how I see it playing out. Not that I agree with it, but the club have gone all in on Bazunu so they're not going to replace him with a bought player. (As much as I think they should do)

Edited by S-Clarke

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

That's how I see it playing out. Not that I agree with it, but the club have gone all in on Bazunu so they're not going to replace him with a bought player. (As much as I think they should do)

If we stick with Baz, the likelihood is we shall be sent straight back down to the second tier.

• Like 1

Just now, sfc4prem said:

If we stick with Baz, the likelihood is we shall be sent straight back down to the second tier.

If we stick with Adams and McCarthy, we most definitely will go down.

• Like 2