Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, Pwoite said:

I remember chanting that to taunt him when he was playing for Leicester at the Dell. (I think it was Leicester!) Then, a few weeks later, we bought him.

I seem to remember a chant "celery, celery, if she dont come he will tickle her bum with a stick of celery" was that not to Shilton? 

2 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

I totally get the multi-club model and why SR are signing these players for the other teams, with the hope they’ll one day be good enough for us. 

What I don’t get is why every player seems to be signed by us, then loaned, rather than just signed by Goztepe or Valenciennes? Is it purely because we have more financial room in terms of PSR? Is it the pull of a Premier League club, despite players knowing they’re not actually coming here? Surely it’d make sense for some of these players to just sign directly for the other clubs, to spread the costs amongst the books?

It's all to do with budgets/money I imagine. I can't see Valenciennes having £800k ready to put down, they're in the third tier of French football. We've got more money to our name than both, so it makes sense for us to do the heavy lifting initially and then get these clubs to train them up/progress them. We then benefit with a good player for PL/Champ football, or we sell for a profit that benefits us in PSR terms.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Er....he went to Fulham in Feb I think.

He played 83 minutes all from the bench .. suppose that makes him shit according to the geniuses on here .. if your not playing you are rubbish is the usual wisdom ..

what broja needs is a club willing to give him consistent starts like we did and then I think we will see how good he is 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Cornet isn't happening, we aren't loaning in 3 players from the premier league 

Unless we buy him.

Which seems pretty pointless to me (loan or buy). Isn't he another wide player with pace ? 

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Unless we buy him.

Which seems pretty pointless to me (loan or buy). Isn't he another wide player with pace ? 

We aren't doing that either, His wages are massive compared to the rest of our squad.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Unless we buy him.

Yeah, left wing too.  Burnley did move him up front at one stage and I thought he did quite well and scored a few crackers.  Not the kind of thing we should be looking at right now though.

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Isn't Cornet chronically injury prone?

I'd mark that as likely in that case. It couldn't be a loan though if we aim for Ramsdale to take that slot.

The Blackbox needs a firmware update because it seems to be stuck on "Players injured a lot" search filter.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Saint_lambden said:

Onuachu to Trabzonspor is still being worked on as they missed out on Weghorst.

Yeah and the Turkish clubs will take advantage of their window closing later. Expect nothing to happen until September. 

• Like 1

Look on the bright side guys, it wouldn’t be a normal transfer window for us if it didn’t include a long running saga about signing the player who would take us to the next level only have to have him end up somewhere else and going into the final days fretting about filling a crucial position with ever diminishing options.

Bet we will end up with Dubravka or that Greek GK Newcastlye PSR'd from Forest.

Neither would be good but don't see us paying whats needed for Ramsdale unless Arsenal massively change stance.

All feels very scattergun/desperate unfortunately, recruiting for major positions at this late stage rather than taking advantage of something too good to turn down.

Edited by Dusic

24 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's all to do with budgets/money I imagine. I can't see Valenciennes having £800k ready to put down, they're in the third tier of French football. We've got more money to our name than both, so it makes sense for us to do the heavy lifting initially and then get these clubs to train them up/progress them. We then benefit with a good player for PL/Champ football, or we sell for a profit that benefits us in PSR terms.

I know absolutely nothing, with this being pure speculation…

I presume that there is some kind of internal ‘loan fee’ that is being paid by the other SR clubs, but these (like the majority of other loan fees) are not being made public. There must also have been some kind of fee for the permanent transfer of Lis.

Is there opportunity to help ‘balance the books’ through this movement of funds? This could then help fall foul of the authorities?

11 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Neither would be good but don't see us paying whats needed for Ramsdale unless Arsenal massively change stance.

All feels very scattergun/desperate unfortunately, recruiting for major positions at this late stage rather than taking advantage of something too good to turn down.

We seem to always be in this position unfortunately. Any club we approach for a player will wait as long as they can to see if they get a batter offer, any player we offer terms to is also going to wait until the end to see if anything "better" comes up. Which means we are always scrapping around the dregs in the last few days / hours of the transfer window. 

30 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I could be wrong but one factor could be about fair market value. At the moment these players are low value but if they play well and the market values goes up the other SR club would need to sell to us at a ‘fair’ value. While it is essentially moving money between accounts it would count against our PSR at a future point. This is pure speculation and conjecture based on a rudimentary assumption of how PSR etc is applied to multi club models. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Dusic’s worst case scenario post of the day 

In talks with Toulouse over Zakaria Aboukhal apparently.

24 year old right winger, Morocco international (21 caps). 15 goals in 42 games in 22/23 and 3 in 5 in 23/24 before an injury

Edited by CSA96

34 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

I totally get the multi-club model and why SR are signing these players for the other teams, with the hope they’ll one day be good enough for us. 

What I don’t get is why every player seems to be signed by us, then loaned, rather than just signed by Goztepe or Valenciennes? Is it purely because we have more financial room in terms of PSR? Is it the pull of a Premier League club, despite players knowing they’re not actually coming here? Surely it’d make sense for some of these players to just sign directly for the other clubs, to spread the costs amongst the books?

I don’t see this multi club bs helping us anytime soon .. wouldn’t mind so much but we are already shopping cheap compared to the rest  of the league including promoted clubs like Ipswich ..

using our money to sign players to loan out (that probably ain’t gonna come back to us good enough anyway) seems very one way street .. 

We ain’t seeing goztepe sign players to loan to us .. it’s leeching off of a already poor (in comparison to the rest of the league) club

2 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

24 year old right winger, Morocco international (21 caps). 15 goals in 42 games last season and 3 in 5 so far this season.

Yuki would know him from AZ, probably played together on their right wing?

2 hours ago, saintant said:

I know we play a different style now but having watched this club since 1965 my take is that we have always been most successful when playing a tall centre forward.

Yeah. I’ve been watching since then too with Ron Davies the first great one. I guess I just don’t get system over result which is our outlook now. I think we are trying to be too clever for our own good and forgotten how to do the simple things well and how to drill these. We seem to lack any character. Martin doesn’t seem to understand defence, attack and how to transition effectively. It’s like watching someone painting by numbers. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I don’t see this multi club bs helping us anytime soon .. wouldn’t mind so much but we are already shopping cheap compared to the rest  of the league including promoted clubs like Ipswich ..

using our money to sign players to loan out (that probably ain’t gonna come back to us good enough anyway) seems very one way street .. 

We ain’t seeing goztepe sign players to loan to us .. it’s leeching off of a already poor (in comparison to the rest of the league) club

On what is that conclusion based?

4 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

24 year old right winger, Morocco international (21 caps). 15 goals in 42 games in 22/23 and 3 in 5 in 23/24 before an injury

He is pretty sublime from.what I've seen.

3 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Would assume there isn't much in this one due to his public history with homophobia and sexism.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Going to Ipswich apparently if my source is correct

• Haha 2

Seeing chat on Twitter that Cornet could offer us two benefits:

Left footed winger playing from the right wing

Left Wing Back in a back 5. Apparently he played in that position for Lyon. 

Judging by the pic of him with Ings he's a fairly hefty unit

Ings & Cornet.jpeg

We were linked with him in the summer of 2022 when we lost out to West Ham

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
pic

Really didn't see us being able to pull that off, and it's a pretty incredible signing on the face of it.

If we manage to bring in a quality attacker, anywhere across the board for me (AM, LW/RW, ST) then I really think we could have a chance of staying up.

47 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

The Blackbox needs a firmware update because it seems to be stuck on "Players injured a lot" search filter.

Don’t be silly, there is no such filter. 
They are using the value for money filter, but have forgotten to exclude “Players injured a lot” 😉

Ramsdale/McCarthy

Suga/KWP/Bree     THB/Edwards        Janny B/Jack/Wood      KWP/Taylor/Cornet

Big Les/Smallbone    Flynniesta/Aribo

Mateus/Lallana/Dibling

Cornet/Arma                          BBD/Archer     

Yuri Alberto/Stewart

Does this team stand a chance of 16th or 17th? I'd say it does. But we'd still have to really bond as a team, and play out of our skins on occasion.

Just now, Wade Garrett said:

You’re probably right.  That’s if Ipswich don’t put in a late bid.

It's like when I used to play football manager. Buy the best opposition players and don't play them, just stop the other team playing them. 

Just now, Patches O Houlihan said:

Ramsdale/McCarthy

Mateus/Lallana/Dibling

Yuri Alberto/Stewart

Does this team stand a chance of 16th or 17th? I'd say it does. But we'd still have to really bond as a team, and play out of our skins on occasion.

As long as RM’s U shaped formation gets binned it does I think.

Just now, Saint_Ash said:

It's like when I used to play football manager. Buy the best opposition players and don't play them, just stop the other team playing them. 

That isn't just for FM, it has been Bayern Munich's transfer strategy in real life for many years.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Ramsdale/McCarthy

Mateus/Lallana/Dibling

Yuri Alberto/Stewart

Can't see that team having enough goals to be honest

Cornet's only started two league games for West Ham since his move from Burnley two years ago. I know he was good at Burnley, but would be a big risk in 2024.

Cannot believe the Ramsdale move sounds like it's happening... Big signing.

I think, looking at some of the opinions on Onuachu that people are looking at the 6' 8" lumbering CF. I understand that, however he is brilliant at getting across last man defenders either heading or getting a foot to the ball. He has scored plenty of goals and apart from penalties most of his goals have come that way. We put in loads of crosses but we are hopeless at beating defenders to the ball. That's what we should be doing with him as he's not that good in the air as a target man. The delivery needs to come from wide at an angle then we might just have our goalscorer.

• Like 4