Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

TP is just not mobile enough, and would require a dramatic change in the team’s philosophy to bring him into the game. We are going to continue to play the way we’ve played since the beginning of last season, to rip that up is no guarantee of success. 

The performance at Newcastle was ok, although having seen them at Bornmuff I’m not convinced it was as good as I first thought. Forest was largely disappointing but if you change your philosophy following such a performance you’ll run out of options very quickly. Stick with what we know, support the boys in what was always going to be a difficult season. 

So no plan B then - just keep doing the same thing over and over with no surprises for our opponents?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Russ Martin has shown us in two consecutive games that his priority for those has been to have 3 CBs on the pitch.  I think it's going to be his thing that he won't let go of easily.

Against Newcastle, once they had a man off it was Sugawara that made way, not a centre back.  Martin's logic was that he wanted Edozie as a genuine wide player in there instead of Suga pushing forward on the right and KWP doing his thing filling in midfield.  We dominated possession but didn't do much with it.

Against Forest, again the 3 CBs for all game until we went 1 down then switched out THB for a midfielder.

I genuinely think Martin painted himself into a corner by naming Stephens skipper then loaning THB back at the start of last season.  When Stephens is fit Martin can't bear to drop either of THB, Stephens or Janny B.  Martin has said this himself on a number of occasions, he wants to find a system to play them all as all three "deserve to be on the pitch".  

I was keen last year to go to 5 at back and think it’s ok but this season the 2 forwards so wide and massive hole in middle is where it’s wrong .

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

So no plan B then - just keep doing the same thing over and over with no surprises for our opponents?

There is a plan B even though the style of possession stays the same.

He uses 352 and 433 systems and changing upto half the outfield players through subs is a form of a plan B.

A plan B doesn't need to be a massive contrast in playing style to hoof it up to Onuachu.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, saintant said:

I’m not sure smashing it into the box to the 6’7 striker you have just bought on would actually be a big surprise for our opponents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

For Martin the result is less important than the way we play. I genuinely think he would prefer not to win playing the way with his principles than win in a different way

Surely not. That would be a ridiculous attitude to adopt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

This not playing Paul him cos he’s leaving is an all preseason long unhelpful story. If he’s still here Friday we’ve potentially  wasted thst preseason by not practising using him on the pitch. 

You are saying that with hindsight. Same argument applies to Kyle or Bella Kotchup. The manager has to work with the players he expects to be there after the window closes. Kyle wasn’t getting a look in for most pre-season games, then it changed once it became likely he was staying. The other two we still want to shift.

Hull are about to sign Carl Rushworth on loan from Brighton, which has a knock on to our interest in Steele (if it's still there) as Brighton will have to keep him to compete for the Number 1.

So that's Steele, Johnstone and Bijow off the table. At this stage I can't see anyone bar Ramsdale, it's either him or none in my opinion. None would be a disaster so let's hope it's not that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Hull are about to sign Carl Rushworth on loan from Brighton, which has a knock on to our interest in Steele (if it's still there) as Brighton will have to keep him to compete for the Number 1.

So that's Steele, Johnstone and Bijow off the table. At this stage I can't see anyone bar Ramsdale, it's either him or none in my opinion. None would be a disaster so let's hope it's not that.

Palace after Travers from Bournemouth as cover for Johnstone too I read.

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

Tina! Tina! Tina!

I remember chanting that to taunt him when he was playing for Leicester at the Dell. (I think it was Leicester!) Then, a few weeks later, we bought him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He uses 352 and 433 systems and changing upto half the outfield players through subs is a form of a plan B.

A plan B doesn't need to be a massive contrast in playing style to hoof it up to Onuachu.

In the pre season game Onauchu came on as sub he played a deeper 9 and linked it - he set up Armstrong who scuffed wide.

He gave us the focal point we currently don’t have as an option . Not just to hoof to.

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

So many on here are ready to have a pop at the club or RM in their frustration that we are either letting go off players the club have deemed are no longer required or we have not signed a striker or goalkeeper.

Alcaraz the vast majority of us love his unpredictability, his obvious skill and potential to unlock a defence BUT the club have decided to call time on his stint here. Why? Looking at it without being emotional I would say the player has failed to settle in the UK, he does not speak the language and RM has been frustrated by his lack of desire to learn English. For all his skill he gives the ball away far too much in very dangerous positions and for me has never looked like he would make it as a Premier League player....do we have an Alcaraz replacement....yes we do i would say, Tyler Dibling!

Tall Paul......again has any other Premier League team come in for TP?? NO! He really is not a Premier League player, he makes Peter crouch look a world beater. Our desperation for a striker is making some irrational in their thought process.

Do you those slating the ownership and club not think we have been doing everything we can to bring in a striker and a goalkeeper?? Be realistic we are Southampton, we have just been promoted and are favourites to go straight back down, we dont have the millions to spend to compete against the likes of Bournemouth let alone Brighton. We have a wage cap we wont break, which is sensible. It will be an extremely hard sell to convince players we would all like to see here and then even if we convince the player we have the nightmare of clubs thinking because we are a Premier League club we can be held to ransom over the fee. 

Why would another Premier League club come in for him? We haven't exactly put him in the shop window. Nobody is claiming he's the complete solution to our striker issues but at least give the guy a chance. Plenty of others have shit games but still keep getting selected. As for Peter Crouch - you do him an injustice with your comment as he was a very good footballer.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Wasn't aware I'd suggested this - perhaps you could enlighten me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pwoite said:

You are saying that with hindsight. Same argument applies to Kyle or Bella Kotchup. The manager has to work with the players he expects to be there after the window closes. Kyle wasn’t getting a look in for most pre-season games, then it changed once it became likely he was staying. The other two we still want to shift.

Yep you are right. But those other two positions - FB and CB we already got multiple players in the system can play that.
We have  not  practised playing to a front man at all far as I can tell. Obvious reasons but all the same I feel it may have unnecessarily limited our options for how to score a goal if Plan A and B has not worked. 
Im not bashing RM and do not suggest we change our default style and approach. I am saying though if you got a Tall Paul then if we are losing and everything else not worked- then use him. And if that’s the theory then try him out a bit more than he has so far. Practising using him late in losing EPL matches in September is the next best I guess if he’s not sold …

34 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Have you considered he has seen him in training every day for two pre seasons now and thinks he’s not very good as ‘any other reason’?

well he called him a beast with great attitude the other week,and so he must be doing well in training

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I’m not sure smashing it into the box to the 6’7 striker you have just bought on would actually be a big surprise for our opponents. 

How about a well flighted cross into a dangerous area where said 6'7 striker outjumps defenders and powers a header into the net? Opponents then have a totally different threat to deal with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

For Martin the result is less important than the way we play. I genuinely think he would prefer not to win playing the way with his principles than win in a different way. 

I genuinely think that you talk utter bollocks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Or we didn't give him a good enough offer. It would've been a cheaper and better option than whatever dregs we're going to end up with on Friday.

Neither did anyone else in England seemingly. He either wanted more than anyone thought he was worth or just fancied the change of scenery and a move abroad

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I don't think anyone would be expecting Cilla Black to be ushering TP onto the pitch, thinking it was some smoke & mirrors master stroke. But surely it would give the opposition something different to think about? Occupy a few more opposition players and free up space elsewhere?

Edited by Orkney Saint
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

We so should've kept Che

Had we kept Che and signed him up, the club would have had pelters from the fans. He needed to move on from us and we needed to move on from him. The same should have happened with McCarthy really.

We've already brought in BBD and Archer who will score more goals between them than Che would have managed on his own. At this level he's good for 5-6 goals a season.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, InvictaSaint said:

Brilliant journalism - apparently we are looking for an immediate return to the Premier League and he can help with our promotion push! 🤣🤦‍♂️🤣

Perhaps we are buying him next year. 

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Had we kept Che and signed him up, the club would have had pelters from the fans. He needed to move on from us and we needed to move on from him. The same should have happened with McCarthy really.

We've already brought in BBD and Archer who will score more goals between them than Che would have managed on his own. At this level he's good for 5-6 goals a season.

Good job we only spent 20-odd million on them then.

40 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Palace after Travers from Bournemouth as cover for Johnstone too I read.

Not sure if you're suggesting we sign Travers but he is absolutely terrible. Only keeper that was worse than Bazunu last time we were in the Prem.

• Like 1

Wolves have agreed a fee of £10m with Crystal Palace for Sam Johnstone.

Advanced negotiations are still ongoing but the deal is getting closer.

Southampton have also been considering Johnstone. 

Both clubs have also been interested in Aaron Ramsdale - but need Arsenal to reduce their demands on the purchase fee that comes with any loan agreement. 

With Bournemouth about to sign Kepa from Chelsea and Wolves progressing on Johnstone, it leaves just Southampton and Ajax as potential options for Ramsdale as things stand - or staying at Arsenal.

That is a ridiculous amount of money for someone who is over 30.

Just now, Saint_clark said:

Not sure if you're suggesting we sign Travers but he is absolutely terrible. Only keeper that was worse than Bazunu last time we were in the Prem.

Not at all the point was another keeper mentioned in this thread as an option now isn’t.

11 minutes ago, DT said:

Ipswich now after the West Brom lad, Tom Fellows. Have bidded 11m.  Unbelievable. Imagine if they went for JWP…

Imagine if he broke the freekick record against us? 

17 minutes ago, DT said:

Ipswich now after the West Brom lad, Tom Fellows. Have bidded 11m.  Unbelievable. Imagine if they went for JWP…

I thought we were selling JWP to Spurs anyway?

Oh wait.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/135231-new-sponsor-bcgame/page/11/#comments

Some of their fans think it's their own version of our LD Sports (except of course, their owners will actually make sure the club gets the cash - unlike us having to scramble for a "legit" sponsor in Sportbetio)

A points deduction may be coming their way but they only need to finish with a cushion above us + 2 other teams, so it's all fine.

I see they're discussing the income from stadium naming rights on that thread, which has got me thinking.... given "we've got to be careful with our spending" to avoid breaching the financial rules, it seems bizarre (on the surface) that we seemingly haven't sought a stadium sponsor deal to boost our player spending potential. Anyone with inside knowledge know why this might be? I don't know what the going rate is for stadium naming rights (must be upwards of £10m though?) which potentially puts us in the market for another player and/or players in a slightly higher quality bracket. Indeed could/should Dragan's media company not be exploring this as a way of legitimately massaging the figures, a la Man City etc? Just seems like we're missing an obvious trick here....

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sfc4prem said:

Trabzonspor will come back in with a decent bid, I'm certain of it.

Me too. 0-0 in their first league game. They had 68% possession, away from home, but only two shots on target (sounds familiar). Weghorst going to Ajax. Their hand is now a little weaker, although they may simply not have the cash to go much higher.

1 hour ago, Pwoite said:

I remember chanting that to taunt him when he was playing for Leicester at the Dell. (I think it was Leicester!) Then, a few weeks later, we bought him.

I think he was at Forest when the Tina episode took place.

I totally get the multi-club model and why SR are signing these players for the other teams, with the hope they’ll one day be good enough for us. 

What I don’t get is why every player seems to be signed by us, then loaned, rather than just signed by Goztepe or Valenciennes? Is it purely because we have more financial room in terms of PSR? Is it the pull of a Premier League club, despite players knowing they’re not actually coming here? Surely it’d make sense for some of these players to just sign directly for the other clubs, to spread the costs amongst the books?

• Like 1