Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

5 minutes ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

Luckily some of our best signings have been on transfer deadline day, so I'd like to see a Sadio Mane type player in the door +a class goalkeeper.

That is true, Toby was another one we got over the line on deadline day from seemingly nowhere (same day as Mane). THB last season was a great addition from nowhere.

Equally we've jumped at some shockers like Onuachu and Sulemana in the january window.

I hope we've learnt though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That is true, Toby was another one we got over the line on deadline day from seemingly nowhere (same day as Mane). THB last season was a great addition from nowhere.

Equally we've jumped at some shockers like Onuachu and Sulemana in the january window.

Is Alberto still a possibility for last day----he does sound exciting

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Danso too, he ended up getting announced the day after deadline day due to a paperwork hold up. 

22 minutes ago, CSA96 said:
Typed up the BBC Solent chat with RM, if useful

Russell Martin on the transfer strategy at Saints...

There's a wage structure here and if you then go and spend a certain amount of money on one player, that player will then expect the wages to be higher than the rest, so we're not going to do that. We're assessing priority and levels of importance for each position that we need, how different they are to the group that we already possess and what we already have in the building and also the character of the player.

I think we have done good business, on the whole. Not just for now but for the short and long-term future of the club. Whereas I think 18 months or two years ago, especially in the January window [in 2023] it was very much all about spending money for the here and now because you need to stay in the Premier League. We haven't done that this time.

It's agreed by all of us that we aren't just going to go all-in for one season only and then put the club back in a situation down the line where the financial situation isn't very good for the club. We've made signings for now and signings that are going to be really good for the club over a longer period of time. That's in my opinion.

Not everyone will agree with that strategy, but the club have gone with us [as a coaching team] to try and bring some stability over a period of time, to bring a way of doing things and we've added players that can do that and some players that can help us here and now. And we believe that they can. Some will take a bit longer than others, so I think it's just a case of being really aligned. 

The owners have been great, they've invested really well in two players that were so important to us last season and we can't ever lose sight of that. Mateus Fernandes is another top talent who had clubs all over Europe watching him and looking at buying him. Cam Archer's the same. He's the England U21 striker and he was not a small investment for this football club.

I think that by the end of the window I will be really happy with the business that we have done. Would we love to go and spend £30m on one or two players? Of course. But I knew at the start that we would not be doing that this season, so I can't be frustrated about that when I knew that was the situation that we'd be in. I'm sure at some point, the ownership group and Dragan will love to go and do that one or two players. But then it creates an imbalance with the rest of the squad, because you go and do that and then everyone else looks at that and goes 'Oh, okay then'.

I don't lose any sleep over that and I'm not stressed about it because I have real clarity on what we're doing. The problems come when there is miscommunication or a lack of clarity, or you start to say one thing and do another. But that just hasn't happened with me. I've been fairly relaxed.

It's a lot of work and I can't wait for it to end. I love seeing the guys but I'd love to stop having Zoom calls every two days and chatting about a hundred different things. Once it ends, hopefully we'll look back and be happy with it and it will take us through to January. Then it'll be the same. We'll look and assess what we need, what we want, where we're at and we'll see where it takes us.

on Kyle Walker-Peters...

I think he's going to be here. The interest that was there and the deals that might have happened have gone unless someone decides really late doors that they want Kyle. But he's been great.

As I said, I think when the window shuts we have offered him new contracts and maybe that'll be another discussion for then. But if not, then he needs to play in the same way he always has done and in the same way that Stu Armstrong and Che Adams did last year when they were in the last year of their contracts and they were fantastic for us.

I think everyone's really relaxed about it because he's played really well in the first two games. It's a bonus having Kyle here because I think we'd all resigned ourselves to him leaving the building.

Anyone fancy picking any holes in that because it ultimately sounds like a very sensible approach.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Garcia is signing for Arsenal and Steele will stay at Brighton as it seems they are loaning out Rushworth. 

No idea where that leaves us then as I can't see Ramsdale happening. I struggle to believe Arsenal would cover 50% of his salary for us. Ajax are also still interested in him.

Edited by Disco Stu

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

No idea where that leaves us then as I can't see Ramsdale happening. I struggle to believe Arsenal would cover 50% of his salary for us. Ajax are also still interested in him.

Of the names we have been linked with, the only ones still seemingly obtainable are Mark Travers at Bournemouth, Aaron Ramsdale, Patterson (Sunderland), Christos Mandas (Lazio), Martin Dubravka. Ramsdale's options are diminishing, with Borunemouth signing Kepa and Wolves going for Johnstone. Come deadline day he will want to move, so it could well be ourselves and Ajax as the last ones standing. I'd expect Arsenal's demands to soften significantly.

Obviously there may be a left field option from nowhere. We will get a GK though, we let Lis go so we have a gap. The club know we can't go into a PL season with just two senior GK's.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Of the names we have been linked with, the only ones still seemingly obtainable are Mark Travers at Bournemouth, Aaron Ramsdale, Patterson (Sunderland), Christos Mandas (Lazio), Martin Dubravka. Ramsdale's options are diminishing, with Borunemouth signing Kepa and Wolves going for Johnstone. Come deadline day he will want to move, so it could well be ourselves and Ajax as the last ones standing. I'd expect Arsenal's demands to soften significantly.

Obviously there may be a left field option from nowhere. We will get a GK though, we let Lis go so we have a gap. The club know we can't go into a PL season with just two senior GK's.

It'll be very hard for us to sign a first choice keeper from another club now with limited time for other clubs to find a replacement. So we certainly won't have many options in these last couple of days. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Our keeper situation is a debacle. Of our two fit keepers One of them is shit and the other is so shit when our first choice keeper got injured he went from being second choice to second choice  🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

What's the priority, a striker or a 'keeper?

A striker IMO.

We'll be getting a GK and attacking player in without a doubt. Whether it is a winger (fellows) or striker I'm not sure.

The optimist in me says all three, but outgoings will play a part too. There is a lot of deadwood still here

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

What's the priority, a striker or a 'keeper?

A striker IMO.

Probably equal priority, but at a push GK.

We won't score many goals this season no matter who is up top, so clean sheets/GK performances are going to be key. If we can get a point winning GK in, then we could potentially nick games by the odd goal. We do have goals in the side in BBD, Archer, Armstrong, Stewart (lol) - but in GK, we only have Lumley and McCarthy which is a shocking state to be in.

• Like 1

Just now, 31cc said:

Alex Ostlund as DOF? Bold move.

How about Wade Elliott, Darren Anderson or Sam Vokes? Top flight experience and that all important  quality of being Saints fans 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

How about Wade Elliott, Darren Anderson or Sam Vokes? Top flight experience and that all important  quality of being Saints fans 

Brian Howard? 

• Haha 1

Just been chatting to a mate of mine whose dad is a super experienced and senior physio. Sounds like he fobbed off work much of this afternoon to try and read up about Bijlow's injuries and whatever information he could find about the treatment he's received.

On the presumption that the problem was with the wrist, his dad speculates that Prem clubs are a lot more surgery-happy than leagues elsewhere on the Continent. He thinks it very possible that Saints would have wanted to operate to correct the ongoing issue whereas his home club may be favouring long term intensive physio and/or other non-surgical approaches. The advantage of this approach is that the player remains available and has a decent chance of a full recovery, but the long-term prognosis is a lot less certain and recurrence statistically significantly more likely.

Were that the case, the surgery is a treatment that, while enjoying an excellent success rate, needs to be almost completely rested until it mends, which can be anything between 6-12 weeks. In some cases that recovery period could stretch to four, five or in the worst cases even six months. Add in the work/time needed to then return to match fitness and you'd be looking at an absolute minimum of 2 months out of action, but conceivably as long as over 6+ months. Understandably the club probably just couldn't justify the move when there was the possibility, even if only remotely, that he'd be out of action until the spring even if the surgery took place immediately.

All pure conjecture and could be entirely nothing like the actual situation, of course, but I thought it interesting regardless.

• Like 17

6 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Just been chatting to a mate of mine whose dad is a super experienced and senior physio. Sounds like he fobbed off work much of this afternoon to try and read up about Bijlow's injuries and whatever information he could find about the treatment he's received.

On the presumption that the problem was with the wrist, his dad speculates that Prem clubs are a lot more surgery-happy than leagues elsewhere on the Continent. He thinks it very possible that Saints would have wanted to operate to correct the ongoing issue whereas his home club may be favouring long term intensive physio and/or other non-surgical approaches. The advantage of this approach is that the player remains available and has a decent chance of a full recovery, but the long-term prognosis is a lot less certain and recurrence statistically significantly more likely.

Were that the case, the surgery is a treatment that, while enjoying an excellent success rate, needs to be almost completely rested until it mends, which can be anything between 6-12 weeks. In some cases that recovery period could stretch to four, five or in the worst cases even six months. Add in the work/time needed to then return to match fitness and you'd be looking at an absolute minimum of 2 months out of action, but conceivably as long as over 6+ months. Understandably the club probably just couldn't justify the move when there was the possibility, even if only remotely, that he'd be out of action until the spring even if the surgery took place immediately.

All pure conjecture and could be entirely nothing like the actual situation, of course, but I thought it interesting regardless.

Insightful post, thanks. That would tie in with the exact wording Bijlow used re: a disagreement between Saints and Feyenoord on how to treat a previous injury, which he personally feels he has recovered from already

• Like 1

Looking at this Tom Fellows, he only started 15 matches for West Brom last season. He was an unused sub 11 times. He only started 4 of their last 8 in the league, so wasn't like he broke into the first team through the season. And on the right wing, which is his position according to transfermarkt and it was Jed Wallace keeping him out of the side. He was 20 last season as well, so not exactly that young in today's football. All our best youngsters were getting a lot more game time at 20, especially at Championship level. 

So, what am I missing, because he definitely doesn't seem like a £10m+ player.

Edited by HarvSFC

5 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

"Southampton, recently relegated from the Premier League, are looking to strengthen their team for an immediate return to the top flight. Kostic’s experience and quality could be a valuable asset in their promotion push."

Hope he helps us do it!

• Haha 4

We actually have a striker who has never been given a chance in Tall Paul. I’m sure if he’d been on the pitch last 20 mins v Forest he would have created a bit of confusion/chaos in their box. But no, not even on the bench. That to me is madness.
Clearly RM doesn’t fancy him as he doesn’t fit the ‘system’ but if the system is we tippy tappy all around the area looking for a perfect through ball, and not crossing it, we are really going to struggle to score goals. 
I feel sorry for TP - he has scored goals, but never got a proper chance with us.

I hope he starts tomorrow night v Cardiff and gets a decent runout.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Reminiscent of the situation with Ronnie Ekelund many years ago.

3 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Looking at this Tom Fellows, he only started 15 matches for West Brom last season. He was an unused sub 11 times. He only started 4 of their last 8 in the league, so wasn't like he broke into the first team through the season. And on the right wing, which is his position according to transfermarkt and it was Jed Wallace keeping him out of the side. He was 20 last season as well, so not exactly that young in today's football. All our best youngsters were getting a lot more game time at 20, especially at Championship level. 

So, what am I missing, because he definitely doesn't seem like a £10m+ player.

I don’t think 10mil gets you much these  days

think we paid £12million for Edozie and he has been a poor acquisition 

Just now, vectraman said:

We actually have a striker who has never been given a chance in Tall Paul. I’m sure if he’d been on the pitch last 20 mins v Forest he would have created a bit of confusion/chaos in their box. But no, not even on the bench. That to me is madness.
Clearly RM doesn’t fancy him as he doesn’t fit the ‘system’ but if the system is we tippy tappy all around the area looking for a perfect through ball, and not crossing it, we are really going to struggle to score goals. 
I feel sorry for TP - he has scored goals, but never got a proper chance with us.

I hope he starts tomorrow night v Cardiff and gets a decent runout.

I think some people tend to underestimate PL defences quite considerably. Similar sentiments were often expressed about Shane Long, "you want him in the team to trouble defences, he’s a nightmare to play against," etc. it’s the same with TP. A pace merchant with no end product is of very little threat and neither is a lanky beanpole. He’s clearly not shown enough for Russ to think he can be an asset.

Russell Martin on the decision to sanction the sale of Charly Alcaraz...

I think if it happens, it helps us financially. Carlos is a really talented player but probably his attributes suit a different style.

Charly's a great guy. I've enjoyed working with him. If he stays, it's not a problem. I think he's at a stage in his career where he wants to play every week. We'll have to wait and see on that one but I think if he goes, it's a good deal for us and it's a good deal for Carlos.

He goes with nothing but positive things hopefully to say about the club and us to say about him. He came here and played in a system that really suited him and his attributes, and did well in a team that really struggled. Last season, he had a couple of really good moments but couldn't quite get into the team in front of other people.

He wanted to go and play elsewhere in January and he did. Obviously, he didn't play as many minutes as he would have liked. Now he's at a point in his career where I think if it works for him and it works for us, then he moves on and goes and plays somewhere that suits him.

If it happens, it'll be a good deal for him. It'll be a good deal for us and it means we can probably have players that can really help us in the next few days.

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

I think some people tend to underestimate PL defences quite considerably. Similar sentiments were often expressed about Shane Long, "you want him in the team to trouble defences, he’s a nightmare to play against," etc. it’s the same with TP. A pace merchant with no end product is of very little threat and neither is a lanky beanpole. He’s clearly not shown enough for Russ to think he can be an asset.

I think people are just saying mix it up a bit and in circumstances where we have very limited attacking options it would be worth trying plan b, even if that involves booting it up to the lanky beanpole as you describe him. 

he plays edozie who has no end product so why not give TP a chance pending better options hopefully becoming available 

• Like 4

Russell Martin on whether Saints need to add just one more or add two new players in the final third...

I think I need to help the lads. We need to help the lads a bit more as well.

Last summer Nathan Tella left and he went and had a great season, achieved brilliant things, and then we ended up playing Adam Armstrong out there. He did brilliantly but he's a guy that wants to play as a number nine really, and he did all last season - although he scored 25 goals or whatever.

We just need people that are a bit different to what we have right now just so we have various options. I'm really happy with the options we have. But we have a lot of similar options if that makes sense. We just need probably one or two points of difference at some point.

I think Mateus Fernandes can help us with that. Tyler Dibling and Sam Amo-Ameyaw are brilliant young players. We'll wait and see where we end up.

It depends on who leaves the building as well, whether it's one or two players or whatever, it will depend on maybe who goes out. It's probably frustrating for people but it also may be exciting for some to see what happens. I'm pretty sure whatever business we do, it will be good for us.

Edited by CSA96

14 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

Brilliant journalism - apparently we are looking for an immediate return to the Premier League and he can help with our promotion push! 🤣🤦‍♂️🤣

They are just looking ahead to next season 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Russell Martin on whether Saints need to add just one more or add two new players in the final third...

I think I need to help the lads. We need to help the lads a bit more as well.

Last summer Nathan Tella left and he went and had a great season, achieved brilliant things, and then we ended up playing Adam Armstrong out there. He did brilliantly but he's a guy that wants to play as a number nine really, and he did all last season - although he scored 25 goals or whatever.

We just need people that are a bit different to what we have right now just so we have various options. I'm really happy with the options we have. But we have a lot of similar options if that makes sense. We just need probably one or two points of difference at some point.

I think Mateus Fernandes can help us with that. Tyler Dibling and Sam Amo-Ameyaw are brilliant young players. We'll wait and see where we end up.

It depends on who leaves the building as well, whether it's one or two players or whatever, it will depend on maybe who goes out. It's probably frustrating for people but it also may be exciting for some to see what happens. I'm pretty sure whatever business we do, it will be good for us.

rightly or wrongly, it sounds like he wants a right winger to allow AA to play down the middle. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

If Martin plays Armstrong up front for any considerable amount of time, we are fucked. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Russell Martin on the decision to sanction the sale of Charly Alcaraz...

I think if it happens, it helps us financially. Carlos is a really talented player but probably his attributes suit a different style.

Charly's a great guy. I've enjoyed working with him. If he stays, it's not a problem. I think he's at a stage in his career where he wants to play every week. We'll have to wait and see on that one but I think if he goes, it's a good deal for us and it's a good deal for Carlos.

He goes with nothing but positive things hopefully to say about the club and us to say about him. He came here and played in a system that really suited him and his attributes, and did well in a team that really struggled. Last season, he had a couple of really good moments but couldn't quite get into the team in front of other people.

He wanted to go and play elsewhere in January and he did. Obviously, he didn't play as many minutes as he would have liked. Now he's at a point in his career where I think if it works for him and it works for us, then he moves on and goes and plays somewhere that suits him.

If it happens, it'll be a good deal for him. It'll be a good deal for us and it means we can probably have players that can really help us in the next few days.

Pretty good summation of where all parties are at.

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I must have missed all those games where he was given a chance but failed to contribute. As far as I know he's started 4 games and come on as a sub 7 times. He may or may not be useless but, after buying him for not insignificant money, I'd have at least expected him to be given a reasonable chance.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

I must have missed all those games where he was given a chance but failed to contribute. As far as I know he's started 4 games and come on as a sub 7 times. He may or may not be useless but, after buying him for not insignificant money, I'd have at least expected him to be given a reasonable chance.  

Tommy Forecast and Anthony Pulis never played a minute for us but we clearly saw enough from them in training to come to a conclusion. Russ has been nothing if not fair in giving our squad opportunities, even when players like SAA have then shown themselves not to be ready. If he isn’t playing TP at all I can only assume that, for whatever reason, he just isn’t on the radar.

Seeing how late we left the Biljow  transfer we did not expect for it to fall through. Rather short sighted considering how many injuries the poor man had suffered so far in his career, we should have learnt our lesson with Ross Stewart and considered other goal keeping options before it got this far.

• Like 2

I don't understand the Fellows move.

He is the same age as Edozie, but scored less goals and the same amount of assists last season in the Championship. Edozie has been deemed not good enough for the starting XI, due to his lack of end product, so why would we bring in a player that was even less productive last season?

I know he has 3 assists in 3 games to start the year, but who knows what Edozie would have in the Championship right now if we hadn't have got promotion.

He's a good player but seems a complete waste of resources when we are looking for an improvement. He doesn't have the pace we would like in a wide player at this level. It's not like we are short of right-footed wingers at the moment either. He just isn't the player we need. I don't understand it.

• Like 2

I hope that the plan is not to sign a right winger and play AA through the middle. The games when we played without Che and played AA through the middle didn’t always go to plan in the Championship…

3 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

He is the same age as Edozie, but scored less goals and the same amount of assists last season in the Championship. Edozie has been deemed not good enough for the starting XI, due to his lack of end product, so why would we bring in a player that was even less productive last season?

I know he has 3 assists in 3 games to start the year, but who knows what Edozie would have in the Championship right now if we hadn't have got promotion.

He's a good player but seems a complete waste of resources when we are looking for an improvement. He doesn't have the pace we would like in a wide player at this level. It's not like we are short of right-footed wingers at the moment either. He just isn't the player we need. I don't understand it.

Edozie predominantly plays left side and is better cutting in and from the little I know about Fellows that’s a different position to him. 

12 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Probably beating his man and then doing fuck all with it, tbh

Edited by CSA96

10 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Agreed, it would be odd.

26 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

If Martin plays Armstrong up front for any considerable amount of time, we are fucked. 

With every day that passes as we head towards 11pm on Friday, the more I'm hoping we hang on to TP. The problem is the Turkish window shuts in mid-September (the Saudi window shuts after ours too incidentally) and we don't want to be in a position where our window has closed and we're still losing players that could help us.