Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

With Lis going, is there a possibility that we sign no keeper, run with two senior guys and an u21 keeper as back up until January and then re-assess?

Possibly. January is crap window to be stuck desperately needing a key position to be filled. 

31 minutes ago, Chez said:

Genuinely interested to khow much SR have `invested' beyond the money the paid to buy us. Do you know?

200 million was the number given at the Fans Forum.

21 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

I'm a bit pissed off by the lack of anything positive from the club and the goalkeeper debarkle is the icing on the cake. For me this window has put us stronger for the Championship but not for the premiership. Selling alcaraz and not playing existing expensive players TP who can score is crazy. I have the unfortunate situation where I have to work around those blue scaity bastards down the road and I hoped this season might make us the dominant force and it feels like the worst thing might happen again and they leap frog us at the end of the season.

What is just as annoying is there are user on here who will now try and destroy my opinion.

I'm gonna try and ignore this all now and come back once the window shuts

Chill out Paul, hope you can do your talking on the pitch where you belong

• Like 2

Watched fellows a few times last season. He played a blinder against Ipswich in that 2-2 last minute draw.

Realistically I think the club are doing the right thing. It's not the attractive, eye catching thing but it's sensible. Look at the number of clubs who have come up spent big and then had to sell off those players when they inevitably get relegated.

Russ has said a few times when talking about players coming in that they want players who want to play for us. That seems to be a cornerstone of any conversation being had and probably includes a frank discussion on the possibility of championship football.

I think that's the smartest thing we can be doing right now when you look at the amount of absolute shite we've had to shovel off the books over the past 2 years.

I'd sooner be a yo yo club building a solid spine for years to come than spunk it all in one season and fall foul of loosing the majority of our team in relegation.

Last season was one of the most entertaining seasons I can remember for a long time. (Close to 10 years)

IF we can stay up then we can start to establish a base camp with a higher calibre of player.

Edited by Hopper
  • Like 12

11 minutes ago, westmidlandsaint said:

So 2 days ago people were calling the club out for signing an injury prone keeper and mocking our medicals, now Bijlow has failed his medical people are calling the club out for not signing him 🤔

Could be different people. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nolan said:

200 million was the number given at the Fans Forum.

Thanks. It will be interesting to see the 2024 accounts next March to see if that figure is any where near genuine. I don't recall seeing `donations that have been turned into equity' of that magnitude in the first sets of accounts, but June 23 to June 24 may be very different.

32 minutes ago, Chez said:

does playing for us on loan help his long term career at all? Would sitting on the bench waiting for the right move be a better move for him?

If he plays for us and does well even if we go down he has boosted his standing and improved his chances of getting a permanent move to a big club.  If we did loan him I expect the obligation to buy would be dependant on us staying up otherwise it would seem unlikely for him to come.

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Your ignorance is staggering. 

I did put a /s - I was referring to the argument earlier where posters were being told they were irritating in their posts because they were autistic.

I am also autistic by the way, so if you find my posts irritating that could be why (/s again).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ramsdale - personally don't see us being willing to fork out what is needed for him unless its a straight loan. Arsenal are not stupid and know we are likely going back down so an option or obligation if we stay up are both unlikely to happen so they are asking a lot for what is effectively a one season loan - something close to £8m with wages included.

Also from his perspective - surely he wants a loan without an obligation as even if we did stay up the next summer there would likely be better options for him.

Steele I think is a possible now Verbruggen is back. If they don't loan out Rushworth that will be a big signal and IMO this is the most likely.

Other factor is whether we were confident we would get Bijlow so went after domestic loans in other areas - which would now be dead.

Fellows - good prospect but we need a guarenteed starter and he isn't that. Also whilst his assist record is decent his goal output is poor - we have that already with Edozie. Clarke's numbers for G&A are different level to Fellows - he was the one.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

I'm a bit pissed off by the lack of anything positive from the club and the goalkeeper debarkle is the icing on the cake. For me this window has put us stronger for the Championship but not for the premiership. Selling alcaraz and not playing existing expensive players TP who can score is crazy. I have the unfortunate situation where I have to work around those blue scaity bastards down the road and I hoped this season might make us the dominant force and it feels like the worst thing might happen again and they leap frog us at the end of the season.

What is just as annoying is there are user on here who will now try and destroy my opinion.

I'm gonna try and ignore this all now and come back once the window shuts

Probably best.

• Haha 1

On 22/08/2024 at 17:12, HarvSFC said:

Interesting. Ramsdale's the better goalkeeper, Bijlow's better with the ball at his feet. There's big positives and small negatives for either.

Is this going to be another Ramos and Gakpo situation, where we end up with neither?

50% of the prediction right...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Fellows is a terrific player. Very direct winger, can go both ways when dribbling as he's good with both his left and right foot. 3 assists in 3 so far this season and given West Brom's financial position would hopefully not be too expensive. 

We'll soon knock that hipster shite out of him!

Dribbling, when there's a perfectly safe back pass available? I think not!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, 6ft8saint said:

That's super harsh I really don't understand where alot of you fans come from. It's like you you feel this is all we deserve as opposed to we deserve the very best. This window has been a disappointment.  Other than the 2 players we knew we were getting thb and downes everything else has been very very average so like him I'm disappointed and worried  about what might come next.

We all work really hard to earn a living and pay into this football team but alot of the time it feels they have forgotten that and sign dross in the hope that it will work.

This is such a weird attitude. Why do we deserve the best? What makes us more worthy than fans of Sheffield Wednesday or Tiverton Town? 

Ticket money doesn’t sustain the club. We run at a loss covered by our owners. 

Yes we want our club custodians to be ambitious and it’s right we should question when they make poor decisions but some fans seem to forget the days in the not too distant past where we almost didn’t have a club to support.

We have spent good money in this window and we are clearly trying to be ambitious with our recruitment even if we haven’t got all the business done we would like. If the price was right we may have got O’Riley and Ramsdale. If we shift Alcarez, Sulemana and ABK we may also have a bit more to play with at the end of the window.

What else do you expect from the club/ownership? What is it you feel is ‘deserved’?

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

In honesty I think we need a proper director of football and to invest in a better scouting setup. 

Why do you think Mark Bitcon is not a proper Director of Football? They have spent a lot of money on the scouting setup.

Apparently made an offer to juventus for  filip Kostic. 🤷🏻‍♂️
his move to Fiorentina fell though earlier today due to him wanting a permanent  move not a loan deal. 

Edited by saint lard

55 minutes ago, Chez said:

what, like promotion, introducing safe standing and signing a host of new players like Sugawara, THB, Downes, Les, Fernandez, BBD and Archer?

Oh sure. Downes, Aqueducts, THB, straight roads. Those are given. What have they really done for us though? 🙂

1 hour ago, Chez said:

With Lis going, is there a possibility that we sign no keeper, run with two senior guys and an u21 keeper as back up until January and then re-assess?

It does look as though they were keen to get someone in after AM's first game. He was fine in that last one. So perhaps. They should have a list of Baz replacements in mind. But no point getting someone in out of desperation.

Going through the last couple of pages, I thought we'd signed the guy only for his hands to fall off. I think the people involved got a right talking to after Stewart, so we're a lot more risk averse with this one. At least it wasn't Rasmus' standing there saying "But his hooks for hands is what makes this genius!" So, we might be slowly learning.

At least we have AM. We don't have an Adams replacement, possibly a AM and miss someone direct for out right (although we might just be switching that to the left with BBD).

Russell Martin's answer on choosing between two players for £20m or one player for £40m doesn't really hold up. He said he didn't want to have players on a lot more money than others. 

I doubt most players would be bothered if Saints signed a £40m player on bigger wages than them if the quality of £40m player helped them stay up & keep their Premier League level wages vs a 40% wage drop if relegated to the Championship. 

Better teammates help them keep their own PL level wages if the expensive teammates justify their wages in terms of good performances.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

Matt O’Riley subbed off injured after 8 minutes of his Brighton debut…

He was in tears being carried off - got to feel for him, that's a pretty bad start. That tackle was a shocker.

• Sad 4

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Russell Martin's answer on choosing between two players for £20m or one player for £40m doesn't really hold up. He said he didn't want to have players on a lot more money than others. 

I doubt most players would be bothered if Saints signed a £40m player on bigger wages than them if the quality of £40m player helped them stay up & keep their Premier League level wages vs a 40% wage drop if relegated to the Championship. 

Better teammates help them keep their own PL level wages if the expensive teammates justify their wages in terms of good performances.

You conveniently forget that professional sports people and in particular footballers have egos...you may judge differences but in the main I bet most players at PL clubs think they deserve as much as the next one. Hwat the club paid for them won't count for squat in their opinion. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Watched fellows a few times last season. He played a blinder against Ipswich in that 2-2 last minute draw.

Realistically I think the club are doing the right thing. It's not the attractive, eye catching thing but it's sensible. Look at the number of clubs who have come up spent big and then had to sell off those players when they inevitably get relegated.

Russ has said a few times when talking about players coming in that they want players who want to play for us. That seems to be a cornerstone of any conversation being had and probably includes a frank discussion on the possibility of championship football.

I think that's the smartest thing we can be doing right now when you look at the amount of absolute shite we've had to shovel off the books over the past 2 years.

I'd sooner be a yo yo club building a solid spine for years to come than spunk it all in one season and fall foul of loosing the majority of our team in relegation.

Last season was one of the most entertaining seasons I can remember for a long time. (Close to 10 years)

IF we can stay up then we can start to establish a base camp with a higher calibre of player.

A solid spine includes a decent keeper and a decent centre-forward.

• Like 3

Just now, Wade Garrett said:

A solid spine includes a decent keeper and a decent centre-forward.

Transfer market is still open mate. It’s clear we are trying to get those areas sorted.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

A number of contracts may have clauses that automatically get bumped up, if someone joins on massive wages. Players with must be in top % of wage earners.

Then you have the rest of the squad quickly deciding that if he is worth that, then so are they or close to it.

Those just re-signed (AM) or with contracts on the table (KWP) will be looking for more, or being upset at what they have signed/been offered.

What with SR so keen to reduce individual wages, breaking that when it suits them, won't sit well.

They will all feel they deliver for their team, and deserve more than they get. You can bet that they pass this across to their agents. The next round of contract renewals is going to have players wanting big rises.

All of that happens whether the new signing is a MLT, the best player by a mile.

• Like 1

Who knows what will happen and obviously the club will be judged on who we get come Friday night but at least there are solid links to strikers, wingers and keepers. The 3 positions we badly need to recruit in. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

Matt O’Riley subbed off injured after 8 minutes of his Brighton debut…

That is really weird. I had a dream last night that he got crocked on his debut and was out for the rest of the season. Should have put a few bob on it. Surprised they started him so soon after signing and in a game like this. He must be gutted.

55 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

We'll soon knock that hipster shite out of him!

Dribbling, when there's a perfectly safe back pass available? I think not!

I must admit I do like watching Dibling dribbling.

Just read an interview with O’Riley where he says that the transfer to Brighton took about 2 months to sort out and was frustrating for him that it took so long. It seems like the chances of him signing for us were pretty much zero.

I was feeling optimistic about the Bijlow signing as he's a quality keeper so that's some very unwelcome news. The club obviously already knew about his bad injury record but I thought the 20 game clause would mitigate that. They must have found something really serious to pull the plug.

I don't believe for a second we can afford Ramsdale (especially given Russell's recent comments about wage structure) so it's looking like a Johnstone or Steele. Big downgrade from Bijlow which is a shame.

We need to nail these goalkeeper and striker signings if we're to stand any chance of survival.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 3

Seems that Carl Rushworth is imminently heading out on loan to the Championship, potentially Blackburn by the sounds of it

Takes him off the board and presumably takes Steele with him as he'll now be needed to back up Verbruggen for the season

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I was feeling optimistic about the Bijlow signing as he's a quality keeper so that's some very unwelcome news. The club obviously already knew about his bad injury record but I thought the 20 game clause would mitigate that. They must have found something really serious to pull the plug.

I don't believe for a second we can afford Ramsdale (especially given Russell's recent comments about wage structure) so it's looking like a Johnstone or Steele. Big downgrade from Bijlow which is a shame.

We need to nail those goalkeeper and striker signings if we're to stand any chance of survival.

Johnstone is about to sign for Wolves. 

• Like 1

Just now, Saint_lambden said:

Johnstone is about to sign for Wolves. 

Hopefully that doesn't leave Steele. I've also seen rumours we've spoken to Joan García. I know nothing about him but it seems he's young and inexperienced, exactly what I don't want in goal.

Typed up the BBC Solent chat with RM, if useful

Russell Martin on the transfer strategy at Saints...

There's a wage structure here and if you then go and spend a certain amount of money on one player, that player will then expect the wages to be higher than the rest, so we're not going to do that. We're assessing priority and levels of importance for each position that we need, how different they are to the group that we already possess and what we already have in the building and also the character of the player.

I think we have done good business, on the whole. Not just for now but for the short and long-term future of the club. Whereas I think 18 months or two years ago, especially in the January window [in 2023] it was very much all about spending money for the here and now because you need to stay in the Premier League. We haven't done that this time.

It's agreed by all of us that we aren't just going to go all-in for one season only and then put the club back in a situation down the line where the financial situation isn't very good for the club. We've made signings for now and signings that are going to be really good for the club over a longer period of time. That's in my opinion.

Not everyone will agree with that strategy, but the club have gone with us [as a coaching team] to try and bring some stability over a period of time, to bring a way of doing things and we've added players that can do that and some players that can help us here and now. And we believe that they can. Some will take a bit longer than others, so I think it's just a case of being really aligned. 

The owners have been great, they've invested really well in two players that were so important to us last season and we can't ever lose sight of that. Mateus Fernandes is another top talent who had clubs all over Europe watching him and looking at buying him. Cam Archer's the same. He's the England U21 striker and he was not a small investment for this football club.

I think that by the end of the window I will be really happy with the business that we have done. Would we love to go and spend £30m on one or two players? Of course. But I knew at the start that we would not be doing that this season, so I can't be frustrated about that when I knew that was the situation that we'd be in. I'm sure at some point, the ownership group and Dragan will love to go and do that one or two players. But then it creates an imbalance with the rest of the squad, because you go and do that and then everyone else looks at that and goes 'Oh, okay then'.

I don't lose any sleep over that and I'm not stressed about it because I have real clarity on what we're doing. The problems come when there is miscommunication or a lack of clarity, or you start to say one thing and do another. But that just hasn't happened with me. I've been fairly relaxed.

It's a lot of work and I can't wait for it to end. I love seeing the guys but I'd love to stop having Zoom calls every two days and chatting about a hundred different things. Once it ends, hopefully we'll look back and be happy with it and it will take us through to January. Then it'll be the same. We'll look and assess what we need, what we want, where we're at and we'll see where it takes us.

on Kyle Walker-Peters...

I think he's going to be here. The interest that was there and the deals that might have happened have gone unless someone decides really late doors that they want Kyle. But he's been great.

As I said, I think when the window shuts we have offered him new contracts and maybe that'll be another discussion for then. But if not, then he needs to play in the same way he always has done and in the same way that Stu Armstrong and Che Adams did last year when they were in the last year of their contracts and they were fantastic for us.

I think everyone's really relaxed about it because he's played really well in the first two games. It's a bonus having Kyle here because I think we'd all resigned ourselves to him leaving the building.
Edited by CSA96
  • Like 19

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Hopefully that doesn't leave Steele. I've also seen rumours we've spoken to Joan García. I know nothing about him but it seems he's young and inexperienced, exactly what I don't want in goal.

Garcia is signing for Arsenal and Steele will stay at Brighton as it seems they are loaning out Rushworth. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

4 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

I think we have done good business, on the whole.

Thanks for that transcript. Have to agree with RM, on the whole we've done some good business. Downes was by no means a certainty to be signed and already he's showing he's going to be an integral part of the team. I'm confident Les and Fernandes will out. Not so sure about BBD but reckon Archer could prove a good buy. That all adds up a to reasonable window.

Fingers crossed for Ramsdale but we've got a team that can compete in the premier league. RM's been given the tools. Now he has to put them to good use.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

We need to nail those goalkeeper and striker signings if we're to stand any chance of survival.

Luckily some of our best signings have been on transfer deadline day, so I'd like to see a Sadio Mane type player in the door +a class goalkeeper.