Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Is autism a problem?  That is a question - maybe not for this forum but your post reads as though it is a problem or something to poke fun at.

No but a lot of us engineer types are on the spectrum , as it were . It appears to be hereditary,  we like the status quo and need specific information , not some vague hint or a picture of a toilet 😄

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Pray to be proven wrong but I don’t think we’re capable of the finances required for Ramsdale.

Especially when you realise we still need attacking help on top of that deal which would likely spread us very thin, can’t see it.

As we stand or with possible sales of KWP, ABK, TP, CA et al? 

11 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

Let's hope the odds are short because someone who knows something is lumping on. 

Aaron Ramsdale club after transfer window odds. 

Screenshot_20240827-164258_Chrome.png

Was 16/1 with BetVictor weeks ago so hoping the deal goes through in more ways than one! 

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Honestly, I couldn’t give less of a toss if we sign someone or not.

Quite simply, as a club we’re not in a position where we can spend £30-40m on a single player.

I’d rather the club were cautious in their approach then full scattergun pissing money up the wall.

You know this is the 'Summer Transfer Window 2024' chat, yeah? 😉

In all seriousness, I tend to agree with you. But then it appears there are others on here who think we shouldn't be looking at "Champ players". Not sure where the money is coming from to buy Premier/Top level players? Loans, I guess? 

• Like 1

Wolves' move for Arsenal goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale is off.

The deal for the 26-year-old has proved too expensive for the Premier League side and it is considered over, BBC Sport understands.

Wolves had made a loan offer with an option to buy, for around £20m, for the England international last week and remained in talks with the Gunners over the weekend.

____

Unless Arsenal drop their demands on deadline day, he isn't coming here

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Wolves' move for Arsenal goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale is off.

The deal for the 26-year-old has proved too expensive for the Premier League side and it is considered over, BBC Sport understands.

Wolves had made a loan offer with an option to buy, for around £20m, for the England international last week and remained in talks with the Gunners over the weekend.

____

Unless Arsenal drop their demands on deadline day, he isn't coming here

But that's pretty much the deal we did for Ings 6 years ago.

Surely a few million on top of that (£25m fee if we stay up) wouldn't be unreasonable.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pat from Poole said:

But that's pretty much the deal we did for Ings 6 years ago.

Surely a few million on top of that (£25m fee if we stay up) wouldn't be unreasonable.....

Similar to the THB fee.

Surely worth it? C'mon Razzy-baby, make it happen.

For one I'm glad we've done our thorough due diligence on this one, you have to ask why we didn't do the same on Ross Stewart - but maybe we've learnt.

Bjlow has missed 190 games since 2018, which is a ridiculous amount - it's a shame really, because without his injuries he is a top level keeper.

Given that we didn't just get this over the line I think it shows we're taking this one seriously, the GK will need to be a number 1 and play for us. 

As other's have said, Ramsdales options have or are running out. Arsenal are buying another keeper. He wants to play. Their demands will soften, it's probably a deadline day one and will end up being a straight loan. Thankfully we kept that 2nd loan slot open!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Similar to the THB fee.

Surely worth it? C'mon Razzy-baby, make it happen.

Aye.

But we would presumably have to go north by a few million for Arsenal to accept it.

Arsenal know that Wolves are not the only club keen on him.

I think that if we could get a loan with an option to buy for £25 million next summer if and only if we stay up, we should be absolutely all-in for that.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

For one I'm glad we've done our thorough due diligence on this one, you have to ask why we didn't do the same on Ross Stewart - but maybe we've learnt.

Bjlow has missed 190 games since 2018, which is a ridiculous amount - it's a shame really, because without his injuries he is a top level keeper.

Given that we didn't just get this over the line I think it shows we're taking this one seriously, the GK will need to be a number 1 and play for us. 

As other's have said, Ramsdales options have or are running out. Arsenal are buying another keeper. He wants to play. Their demands will soften, it's probably a deadline day one and will end up being a straight loan. Thankfully we kept that 2nd loan slot open!

I'm with you here. The fact the entire deal at a club-to-club level was structured around the clause where 20 appearances would trigger a permanent deal, and yet Saints still didn't want to proceed with the deal, tells me they have learnt and are taking this seriously. I still think the Brighton GKs are a likely port of call (Steele/Rushworth) because Verbruggen is due back any time now from his own injury lay-off and all three GKs are going to be/should be wanting serious minutes

• Like 1

Just now, CSA96 said:

I'm with you here. The fact the entire deal at a club-to-club level was structured around the clause where 20 appearances would trigger a permanent deal, and yet Saints still didn't want to proceed with the deal, tells me they have learnt and are taking this seriously. I still think the Brighton GKs are a likely port of call (Steele/Rushworth) because Verbruggen is due back any time now from his own injury lay-off and all three GKs are going to be/should be wanting serious minutes

I see a few options as we head into the final few days -

Steele - potentially £7mish for Brighton to want to budge, which is a lot for a player of his age.

Ramsdale - An expensive loan, wouldn't be ours. We'd have to make any option realistic for us, but I think Arsenal will soften as the window comes to a close. (The player will end up forcing it). I can see a deal being agreed nearer the deadline for a straight loan with no option, then the club get Bazunu back next season (That'll be a bump down to earth).

Johnstone - This one is doable for around £5m I think, not first choice at Palace. Certainly the last on my list though.

Patterson (Sunderland) - Good young keeper, Sunderland want £20m though - pretty pricy for someone without PL exp. Makes the Ramsdale deal look better value.

There may well be a left field shout, but it's pretty late now so I think we'll end up zooming in on the ones we've been linked with all summer. It will be one of the 4 above or none.

4 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Watch bijlow not miss a game all season now while we wait for the rare appearance of the medical man(stewart)

You can't criticise the club for being cautious over this one, if by the same token you criticise them for the Stewart deal. We've been burnt far too many times with injury prone players. This was seemingly too much of a risk, even with 20 games as an option.

At the end of the day a medical is a risk assessment, there's no pass or fail - it's up to the club and the medical team to risk asses it, which for once they seem to have thoroughly done.

Steele - potentially £7mish for Brighton to want to budge, which is a lot for a player of his age.

Ramsdale - An expensive loan, wouldn't be ours. We'd have to make any option realistic for us, but I think Arsenal will soften as the window comes to a close. (The player will end up forcing it). I can see a deal being agreed nearer the deadline for a straight loan with no option, then the club get Bazunu back next season (That'll be a bump down to earth).

Johnstone - This one is doable for around £5m I think, not first choice at Palace. Certainly the last on my list though.

Patterson (Sunderland) - Good young keeper, Sunderland want £20m though - pretty pricy for someone without PL exp. Makes the Ramsdale deal look better value.

There may well be a left field shout, but it's pretty late now so I think we'll end up zooming in on the ones we've been linked with all summer. It will be one of the 4 above or none.

I wonder what the terms are of Kepa's loan to Bournemouth? I just hope we aren't looking at Travers as he will likely be moving on from them. 

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Pretty sure the Ramsdale situation has always been loan + obligation to buy, no? 

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I wonder what the terms are of Kepa's loan to Bournemouth? I just hope we aren't looking at Travers as he will likely be moving on from them. 

Oh yep - Travers is another name, we have been linked with him previously this window - albeit loosely. Like you say, the Kepa deal will free him up to go.

Don't know much about him, but he doesn't spring up in my mind as a ball playing goalkeeper.

Just now, Greenridge said:

Pretty sure the Ramsdale situation has always been loan + obligation to buy, no? 

That's what Arsenal want yep, but my hunch is that it will soften as we head into the final stages. That'll bring other clubs back to the table as well obviously, but I think they need to be realistic really and as a player he will probably demand that something is sanctioned. He needs to play at his age.

Something will happen with him by the end of the window, and it won't be as expensive as Arsenal originally wanted imo.

Bijlow wasn't going to use his wrists anyway, we only wanted him for his feetsies. 

The club better act fast. We need a keeper or we are up poo creek without a paddle.

Oh yep - Travers is another name, we have been linked with him previously this window - albeit loosely. Like you say, the Kepa deal will free him up to go.

Don't know much about him, but he doesn't spring up in my mind as a ball playing goalkeeper.

Isn't he Irish too? Can't be up to much if Baz keeps him out of the Ireland team.

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

Bijlow wasn't going to use his wrists anyway, we only wanted him for his feetsies. 

The club better act fast. We need a keeper or we are up poo creek without a paddle.

Well, if we had signed Bijlow we would still be up poo creek, but with a fractured paddle…

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Curious why Ramsdale would want to sign up to a loan with an obligation to a struggling premier league club.

Because the obligation would probably be only on the condition that we stay up. It allows him to stay in England, play regularly and help him maintain his place in the England squad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saintsarmy said:

Tom fellows at West Brom. Jesus, did we actually get promoted in May or are we still in the champ?

Good young player, will be decent - but....I don't feel he's what we need yet. We've got Dibling and SAA to fill that inexperienced Wideman role. Any new wide attacker, IMO, has to be better than what we have today and he isn't yet, we'd just have more of the same. We need some star quality up there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Because the obligation would probably be only on the condition that we stay up. It allows him to stay in England, play regularly and help him maintain his place in the England squad.

I just don't see why he'd want to commit himself in that way rather requesting a standard loan deal.

• Like 1

I just read bijlow failed medical however we signed ross Stewart while injured??????

Looks like we are going down with the most goals conceded as we can't afford ramsdale and all 3 of our keepers are shite

• Confused 1

Just now, 6ft8saint said:

I just read bijlow failed medical however we signed ross Stewart while injured??????

Looks like we are going down with the most goals conceded as we can't afford ramsdale and all 3 of our keepers are shite

Thankfully we were thorough then and didn't do another Stewart.

We only have 2 senior keepers - McCarthy and Lumley. Lis has gone. Bazunu is out for the season. The club will get a new GK in, but who that is will be anyone's guess at this point.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I never thought he was but if he does well on loan he'd likely have lots of options.

There's only a few openings for a starting keeper in a prem team. If he wants to stay in the prem then at the moment it looks like wolves, Bournemouth, forest or us and I'm not sure that's likely to change any time soon. 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

There's only a few openings for a starting keeper in a prem team. If he wants to stay in the prem then at the moment it looks like wolves, Bournemouth, forest or us and I'm not sure that's likely to change any time soon. 

Bournemouth are loaning Kepa.

Thankfully we were thorough then and didn't do another Stewart.

We only have 2 senior keepers - McCarthy and Lumley. Lis has gone. Bazunu is out for the season. The club will get a new GK in, but who that is will be anyone's guess at this point.

Mccarthy and lumley is 2 and bazunu is 3 and yes is injured but was also a liability last year in the Championship. Not qualified to be our number 1

Absolute shambles. Called it on the keeper but was only half  joking. Now the Rasmus scatter gun is unleashed on all the clever clever jewels that reflect oh so welll on his uncanny genius. Or so he says. Last seen getting Nathan Jones in. Absolute shit show. 

• Confused 1

Wolves in discussions to sign Sam Johnstone. Looks like he is their alternative to Ramsdale. Could be a game of cat and mouse regarding Ramsdale. Arsenal need to get rid of him and we desperately need him...

• Like 1

We are truly terrible at signing new quality talent and also it seems retaining the talent we have. Why wont our players sign new contracts I counted 3 or 4 expiring in next 6months. I get were not the best club in the league but as a manager russell needs to do more

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Absolute shambles. Called it on the keeper but was only half  joking. Now the Rasmus scatter gun is unleashed on all the clever clever jewels that reflect oh so welll on his uncanny genius. Or so he says. Last seen getting Nathan Jones in. Absolute shit show. 

You, sir, have taken leave of your senses. Your posts are the makings of a mummers' farce.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, 6ft8saint said:

We are truly terrible at signing new quality talent and also it seems retaining the talent we have. Why wont our players sign new contracts I counted 3 or 4 expiring in next 6months. I get were not the best club in the league but as a manager russell needs to do more

If you were KWP would you sign a new deal? 

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Russell Martin said Bazunu is out for 9 to 10 months. That makes it Jan/Feb he will be ready to play again, not the whole season out.

I don’t want to see him play for us in this league for a long, long time. 

Nowhere near PL standard even when fully fit 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1