Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

3 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

FAiled a medical 🤦‍♂️

Blimey.... our medical team spotted a medical issue.... "every cloud....!" ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

FAiled a medical 🤦‍♂️

Well at least we have done our due diligence this time and not signed someone who isn't actually going to play.

But where does this leave us in our GK search?

Surely the club would have had a suspicion that this might happen, given his injury record, and would have a backup option.

Surely?

SURELY!?!?!?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If that were to happen, we'd have a horrendous season every other year. That wouldn't be great, regardless of enjoying the promotion years.

And would build up the ‘scar tissue’, demoralisation again. 

P.S. ABK was down at an Ocean Village cafe this afternoon with his partner and baby, so he doesn’t seem to be on the verge of a transfer although of course there are still 3 days to go 🤞

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Well at least we have done our due diligence this time and not signed someone who isn't actually going to play.

Surely the club would have had a suspicion that this might happen, given his injury record, and would have a backup option.

Surely?

SURELY!?!?!?

Let’s see who is in goal for the team 15th in the Brazilian league

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Ekelund said:

BBC reporting Ramsdale to Wolves is off in the last 2 mins too

A door closes and a window opens??  Albeit it's 'off' due to the cost, so suspect Wolves will be back in come deadline day

9 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Surely?

SURELY!?!?!?

Calling Captain Jack!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Do we know why Ings "doesn't want to come back"? Is there an interview / article somewhere that explains his thinking? Maybe it was a reason that could change over time? Or maybe the reason was set in stone? Who knows....?

I think he reads this forum

• Haha 1

I would really love to believe that the Ramsdale to Wolves deal being off is linked to the failed medical Bijlow has had today……but I’m not holding my breath.

RM said on Solent Saturday they had a list of keepers……hoping that’s true !

Do we know why Ings "doesn't want to come back"? Is there an interview / article somewhere that explains his thinking? Maybe it was a reason that could change over time? Or maybe the reason was set in stone? Who knows....?

4 minutes ago, richardc said:

I think he reads this forum

Ha! Best answer yet :) 

Given the sparse details it looks like maybe we weren't happy with the way the previous fracture was treated and healed.

Strap up lads the next few days are going to be a rollercoaster.

2 minutes ago, Challenger said:

In a twisted, perverse way I am finding this whole Saints transfer saga more entertaining than the games.

Agreed. After Friday, all we can look forward to is:

LLDLDWLLDLWDDDLLL......

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Another option goalkeeper option along with Aaron Ramsdale is Espanyol's Joan García. Personnel terms already agreed.

https://x.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1828453781538787379

To me the tweet reads as Arsenal (not Saints) have agreed personal terms with Joan García which is why they want to include an obligation to  buy in any deal for Ramsdale. 

• Like 3

Just now, santolijador said:

To me the tweet reads as Arsenal (not Saints) have agreed personal terms with Joan García which is why they want to include an obligation to  buy in any deal for Ramsdale. 

Yes. That's how it reads to me too. Arsenal have agreed terms with him.

3 minutes ago, santolijador said:

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Yes. That's how it reads to me too. Arsenal have agreed terms with him.

Yep, that is what I said in the first tweet. Then messed up the second tweet.

4 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

I think you'll find it's "personal". 

Perhaps he meant that the club have agreed terms with the Personnel Department at Espanyol (maybe in Spain they've yet to change to HR, or the even more recent 'People' department 🙄) to agree to gazumping Arsenal's offer.....

Well, we've learnt our lesson on the medical front at least... that's something

Three and a half days to sort an alternative sounds doable too, let's hope we can get someone solid and not just a punt

Edited by CSA96

Could it be argued that instead of spending £15-£20m on "average" players we'd be better off spending £30-£40 on half as many "very good" players...? (i.e. ye olde quantity vs quality debate). That's how I used to build my Fantasy Football team anyway.... ;)

‘Very good’ isn’t always a quantifiable thing though unfortunately. 

Worth noting that some of our biggest flops have been the players we paid the most for. Sulemana, Vestegaard, dear old Guido, Onuachu and Elyonoussi are all amongst our top 10 biggest ever signings, with Lemina, Hoedt and Djenepo not far behind. All disasters. Just paying more for a player doesn’t guarantee quality or that they’ll be a success. 

Not putting all our eggs in one basket is a risk mitigation strategy, although on the flip side you could also argue of course that buying cheaper players with less of a track record brings it’s own set of risks. 

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t, basically. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Challenger said:

Opposition own goals, can't think how else it can happen with this "style" of football.

Come off it, this "Style" got us promoted and provided a very entertaining season. It's never going to be a walk in the park post-promotion but get behind your team at least.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SaintLondon said:

My friend, who has a contact at the club, mentioned that his source says it's never been busier with transfer activity, both in and out. Said it's gonna be a wild few days!

Interesting, but could you post a few cryptic pictures too please? 

• Haha 8