Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

And there’s the problem.

Whilst I am not comparing them exactly, before anybody suggests it, are you suggesting that SAF, Pep, Klopp etc are not singleminded? They all have their way of playing and try to stick to it. It is the ability to successfully change during a game that make a great manager. I saw people saying at the beginning of last season saying that RM wouldn't get us promoted because he had never done it before.....conveniently forgetting that NO manager had got a team promoted until the first time that they did.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Strikers that could be available to sign or loan from PL teams, which includes a bit of scraping the barrel:

Wood/Awonyi - might fall down pecking order with Pedro coming in? Unlikely to be available.

Emmanuel Dennis - did well at Watford

Ings - rejected us already this summer

Broja - can’t loan from Chelsea 

Antonio - one last dance?

Maupay - Everton fans aren’t his favourites

Nkhetia - looks off to Palace

Evan Ferguson - injuries/unlikely

Stansfield - looked sharp on loan at Brum but not experienced.

You can see why we are looking outside the PL. Broja would suit us best but we can’t loan him.

I do think Cameron Archer would have been on this list had we not already signed him. He’s a much better player than many posters think, but not the target man we crave.

We should have signed Wood years ago. He is a very basic player but does what we need desperately. And as others have said, Josh Sargent would be worth looking at 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hopper said:

I’d take a punt on Alberto over Broja any day of the week. Vastly more experienced with a much better goal to game ratio and only a hair older. 

Say what you want about broja but he  has killer attributes .. lightning fast for a big man, strong and also a really composed finisher .. 

people bang on about him not doing much since us but if he had he would be a 70m player and way out of our league anyway .. 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, pimpin4rizeal said:

Say what you want about broja but he  has killer attributes .. lightning fast for a big man, strong and also a really composed finisher .. 

people bang in about him not doing much since us bug if he had he would be a 70m player and way out of our league anyway .. 

So we should sign him because he's been shit since he left us and is therefore affordable? 🤔😅

• Haha 9

19 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Pretty much! Was alot better vs Newcastle, even when 11v11.

I let this slide earlier, but I see you've fallen back into your old ways of treating pedantry as some kind of competition to drown out the actual discussion. Fucking hell, give it a break!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Its hardly a surprise, where would you play him? Besides theyve bought in Big Lesley from Chelsea to play his role and that would be a total waste of a loan, plus theres Downes of course. We dont need anyone else who can pass sideways and slow the play down even further. 

I'd play him ahead of Smallbone or Aribo. 

1 minute ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

people bang on about him not doing much since us but if he had he would be a 70m player and way out of our league anyway .. 

So why isn't he currently utilising these abilties? What is the reason that he has done nothing since leaving us? Injury? He was never the same for us after the injury. Is he just sat around moping wait for us to call on him again?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

You could make this argument of a lot of players. Hypothetical =/= logical. 

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

But what about Les, Fernandes and Downes? Because that will be the starting midfield once they have settled in. 

Bringing JWP in would be George Burley levels of position stockpiling.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Really? Are you his agent?

He was never lightning fast before the nasty injury. 18 goals in nearly 100 club appearances (over half of which in the Dutch league), not screaming ‘really composed finisher.

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Definitely. And keep it the same starters for as many games as injuries allow.

Suga.  Bedders.  THB.  KWP
.        Big Les

Downes. Fernandes

AA.    Alberto.   BBD

1 minute ago, Saint Scott said:

What's happening with Bijlow, all gone a bit quiet?

I see arsenal are pressing on with a Ramsdale replacement in Espanyol's Garcia. Still an option for us?

replacement for him comes on weds to sign so would guess we'd also announce then or thurs.

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Just saw a comment from a Brazil journalist that we first made contact with Corinthians for Yuri Alberto on 10th July 2024. So perhaps more of a longer term target than a last minute panic buy. 

Agree the bloopers videos and the consensus form their fans has Carillo/Lyanco style red flags a plenty. 

Interesting that he has been called up for Brazil and has previously had a big transfer fee and a few PL teams showing interest. Feels like we are gambling on him realising his early potential, a very SR signing. I’d much rather loan an experienced PL player for this key missing piece.

Who is this experienced PL player? There's also a case for a young talented enthusiast trying to prove himself at top level         

7 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

But what about Les, Fernandes and Downes? Because that will be the starting midfield once they have settled in. 

My dyslexic brain read Les Ferdinand 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

A MF of Downes and Les as a double pivot with JWP in a more advanced role would be a great deal better than what we have witnessed already this season.

He would only be competing with Fernandes, who's still very much unproven in the PL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InvictaSaint said:

image.thumb.png.69f113182dcaa23860b644a204b63744.png

Folk got very carried away with the blooper video but the skills video contains a lot of impressive stuff. Plus, his real world stats seem decent to me. Obviously there's no way of knowing how he would or would not adjust to the UK and the Prem but he's clearly a dude with bags of skill and potential.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Really? Are you his agent?

He was never lightning fast before the nasty injury. 18 goals in nearly 100 club appearances (over half of which in the Dutch league), not screaming ‘really composed finisher.

Did you not watch him when he was with us ?   And you didn’t think he was composed or fast ? 

I’m not too bothered about what happened since because he’s been at Chelsea which isn’t a easy team to break into 

he’s still only a kid and the potential is super high 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Did you not watch him when he was with us ?   And you didn’t think he was composed or fast ? 

I’m not too bothered about what happened since because he’s been at Chelsea which isn’t a easy team to break into 

he’s still only a kid and the potential is super high 

I watched him have a couple of decent matches and plenty where he vanished and was ineffective.

The other point with Broja is that his style of play was very well suited to Hasenhuttl's pressing/counter attacking style. I don't think he's as good a fit for Russball in any case.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Folk got very carried away with the blooper video but the skills video contains a lot of impressive stuff. Plus, his real world stats seem decent to me. Obviously there's no way of knowing how he would or would not adjust to the UK and the Prem but he's clearly a dude with bags of skill and potential.

from 2023 - https://www.scisports.com/scouting-gbe-qualified-talents-from-south-america/

current ai scouting - https://scoutingstats.ai/player/yuri-alberto-7481/

• Like 2

We've gone from people laying into the club because Ankersen is telling the club who to sign, including one of the players being someone who can't stand up and is the standard of Carillo to the fact that neither of these are true in 24 hours.

Classic forum. Love it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Hopper said:

My dyslexic brain read Les Ferdinand 😂 

I saw that, does that mean that I'm dyslexic as well. Can you get PIP being dyslexic?, hope so.

Edited by Saint Billy
Dyslexic

15 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Wow, his non pen xG looks pretty terrible for a Striker at 0.24 and that pie chart thing has his goal threat really low too. Chance creation isn't much better and goal efficiency only slightly better too. Still ball retention is pretty decent which will fit in well with our sideways and backwards passing style...

Despite what that Saints Brazilian poster has said and his goal scoring stats which to be fair look ok, I'm still not convinced by this signing but I guess we will have to trust in Russ and the scouting team if they genuinely think this is the guy who will hopefully be that focal point up top we so desperately need. 

• Like 1

I can't say this window has made me over excited or confident we stay up but it looks pretty decent and I don't understand the negativity.

We got Downes, signed two decent fullbacks, Lesley and Fernades are both clearly expected to be starters and are still integrating.

We haven't lost anyone who would be good enough for starting 11 going forward - with possible exception of Che, who many didn't rate and we have added Archer, BDD and possibly new Brazilian.

Sounds like goalkeeper will be significantly improved.

It's seems many of those getting very upset about our start are people who were certain we would get relegated, get thrashed every game, and there was no way we would have decent possession this season. So far two 1-0 defeats, worrying no points or goals but not looking ridiculously out of our depth.

I reckon we may well go down, but haven't written off RM or this squad yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

I can't say this window has made me over excited or confident we stay up but it looks pretty decent and I don't understand the negativity.

We got Downes, signed two decent fullbacks, Lesley and Fernades are both clearly expected to be starters and are still integrating.

We haven't lost anyone who would be good enough for starting 11 going forward - with possible exception of Che, who many didn't rate and we have added Archer, BDD and possibly new Brazilian.

Sounds like goalkeeper will be significantly improved.

It's seems many of those getting very upset about our start are people who were certain we would get relegated, get thrashed every game, and there was no way we would have decent possession this season. So far two 1-0 defeats, worrying no points or goals but not looking ridiculously out of our depth.

I reckon we may well go down, but haven't written off RM or this squad yet.

I’d trade possession for goals any day.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Crouchie's Lawyer said:

Wow, his non pen xG looks pretty terrible for a Striker at 0.24 and that pie chart thing has his goal threat really low too. Chance creation isn't much better and goal efficiency only slightly better too. Still ball retention is pretty decent which will fit in well with our sideways and backwards passing style...

Despite what that Saints Brazilian poster has said and his goal scoring stats which to be fair look ok, I'm still not convinced by this signing but I guess we will have to trust in Russ and the scouting team if they genuinely think this is the guy who will hopefully be that focal point up top we so desperately need. 

If he can draw in defenders and leave space for AA or BBD to get a shot off I’m all for it. The REAL problem lies just there though…with Russball any shot has to go through 11 opposition players blocking as we’ve taken so f-ing long to get the ball to the forwards. Even Ronaldo would struggle! 😏😉

• Like 4

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Surprised Russ just said no update on the GK situation, wasn’t Bijlow having his medical yesterday? Just not wanting to comment until it’s done or is there still a chance we do something different, such as Ramsdale? Probably the former.

After the ABK medical leak debacle, I would guess he would not want to even mention Bijlow has been here for a medical in case he fails it (or more accurately, the results are not to the management's satisfiction).  There might even be a possibility that we may want to change the terms of deal depending on those results...and as we know to our cost, the deal could easily fall through.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

After the ABK medical leak debacle, I would guess he would not want to even mention Bijlow has been here for a medical in case he fails it (or more accurately, the results are not to the management's satisfiction).  There might even be a possibility that we may want to change the terms of deal depending on those results...and as we know to our cost, the deal could easily fall through.

Ramsdale still seems to be a bit of a fallback option.

Albeit expensive.

It could be that if we end up with Ramsdale, it prevents a signing in a more attacking part of the pitch.

59 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

He defo had high potential a few years ago, he was monitored quite a lot. The Corinthians move just hasn't worked for him though, and he doesn't have a good rep out there on the back of it. Could be multiple things though as Corinthians have been a pretty poor side for a while, but he's certainly regressed over the last 18 months - which is the only reason we've got a chance I guess.

It's certainly a punt.

39 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Given our record for signing injured players the due dilligence line is hysterical

"How do you feel Justin?"

"Fine, thank you"

"Excellent, medical passed"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Chelsea going for Ivan Toney. Surely they have to offload a striker or two this window.

I'd say of all their spending, that's one area they've never really sorted. Lots of forwards, but no real number 9's apart from Lukaku and Broja - and they're both off anyway.

4 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Chelsea going for Ivan Toney. Surely they have to offload a striker or two this window.

Lukaku is getting close to his move. We have seen they are happy to sell Broja. 

Jackson and Guiu won't be going anywhere.

So that leaves David Forfana and Deivid Washington. Fancy either of those?

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

He literally was/is a school teacher. He's also autistic which is obvious to anyone who interacts with him for more than 2 minutes. 

Is autism a problem?  That is a question - maybe not for this forum but your post reads as though it is a problem or something to poke fun at.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd say of all their spending, that's one area they've never really sorted. Lots of forwards, but no real number 9's apart from Lukaku and Broja - and they're both off anyway.

No chance of a pay nothing now, but help their psr next season by obligation to buy deal if we stay up?

Assuming they'd fit our system of course. 🙂

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Lukaku is getting close to his move. We have seen they are happy to sell Broja. 

Jackson and Guiu won't be going anywhere.

So that leaves David Forfana and Deivid Washington. Fancy either of those?

Nope. Besides, we have already loaned one player from Chelsea. 

5 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Is autism a problem?  That is a question - maybe not for this forum but your post reads as though it is a problem or something to poke fun at.

Where did I say it's a problem? Or something to poke fun at? You've just made that up in your head. I said it's the cause of his posting style. I'd suggest his irritating way he posts and tendency to take everything literally is a product of his condition. He'd do well to listen to loads of posters who have told him how annoying they find it and his pedantry and he'd probably have a better experience on here as a result. 

Edited by hypochondriac

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Where did I say it's a problem? Or something to poke fun at? You've just made that up in your head. I said it's the cause of his posting style. I'd suggest his irritating way he posts and tendency to take everything literally is a product of his condition. He'd do well to listen to loads of posters who have told him how annoying they find it and his pedantry and he'd probably have a better experience on here as a result. 

Yeah, maybe it's the condescending tone I can't help but add to the majority of your posts.  My bad.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

He can be annoying, yes, but you suggesting (or raising) that he's autistic was bang out of order and completely unnecessary. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Nope. Besides, we have already loaned one player from Chelsea. 

I've lost track of the current situation, but are we actually looking to sign a striker - we just spent £15m on Archer - and if we are, does it have to be a loan?

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

No problem. Apology accepted. 

Yeah, think you may have misread my post.  

MLG disappeared because the hate on here was pathetic, shallow and showed a complete lack of empathy - which is ironic.

• Like 5