Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, Hawkswood said:

Look dude, I never respond to you for obvious reasons, but surely you can help yourself here. You must be able to realise when there is no need to respond to something. For you own self preservation, please stop and think before you post something.  Peace out.

He was the main reason I stopped posting on here about 10 years ago. There's nothing more certain in this world than coming on this forum each week and finding more pedantic crap from him. The guy literally cannot help himself. I wish he'd just bore off tbh. 

Edited by saint-ross
  • Like 1

In my humble opinion if we want to move the club forward we shouldn't be going back in for Ings or Ward-Prowse.

Ings clearly doesn't want to be here, he's made that quite evident and there is nothing to suggest he'd be as effective 

Ward-Prowse doesn't add a great deal to what we have at the price he would command and would also be a bit of an awkward reappointment given his previous status as captain. I think there are likely much better progressive targets for that price that would improve us.

• Like 9

Southampton see bid turned down for Yuri Alberto

HITC understands that a number of Premier League clubs have held talks with Corinthians about a possible deal for striker Alberto.

We understand that Southampton are amongst the teams looking closely at Alberto after previous interest from Wolves.

Wolves failed with a bid to land Alberto in January, but he now could be heading to England in this window.

We reported that Wolves were willing to pay £18 million for Alberto back in January but Gary O’Neil’s side could not pull off a deal this summer. Another side that failed to get a deal over the line was West Ham United.

So if this report is anything to go by then we are not the only Premiership side with clueless scouts!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Us fans would obviously love him to stay even if he runs his contract down but money talks and unless he signs the contract, he's gone if someone comes in for him. With Suga at RB and Bree as backup, we're fine there but Taylor and Manning are a step down on the left, particularly if we persevere with wing backs. It's possible we're holding on to Larios for this possibility.

If the sale of KWP allowed us to bring in a decent winger/AM/striker, it wouldn't be the worst thing but I hope he stays. Even better if he signs the contract.

Larios is not even close to being good enough to play in the Premier League.

1 minute ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

HITC understands that a number of Premier League clubs have held talks with Corinthians about a possible deal for striker Alberto.

We understand that Southampton are amongst the teams looking closely at Alberto after previous interest from Wolves.

Wolves failed with a bid to land Alberto in January, but he now could be heading to England in this window.

We reported that Wolves were willing to pay £18 million for Alberto back in January but Gary O’Neil’s side could not pull off a deal this summer. Another side that failed to get a deal over the line was West Ham United.

So if this report is anything to go by then we are not the only Premiership side with clueless scouts!!

It’s bullshit.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nolan said:

it categorically was a question. Signified by the Question mark at the end.

"West ham are terminating Ings contract?" denotes surprise and its quite easy to ascertain the meaning.

next time try saying it out loud and raising the pitch of your voice on the last syllable.

And speak with an Australian accent.

2 hours ago, Bob60 said:

What a place this has become, anyone reading this would think we are down already

Saturday was poor, awful setup playing the front two so wide but this looked good and we created chances away at Newcastle. Both games could have been draws apart from individual mistakes. 

As for transfers, we have signed some good players, it will take time to gel as a team, some are for the future, some, like the Japanese midfielder, we would not get without being able to use the Turkish team for a year, he may be a diamond who knows. 

As for the proposed Brazilian striker, he may also work out or flop but what are the choices. It's the market we have to work in. Broja for£30 million? He had had six good months then nothing, Sargent for£20 million, we have three forwards who have done it in the championship already. 

Just give it some time for pity sake.

Agree both games could have been draws but that's being generous in the case of the Nottingham Forest game. Ok, the only goal stemmed from a mistake but if we're honest they were streets ahead of us all over the pitch and should have won by more than the single goal. We had one harmless shot that went straight at the keeper.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, manji said:

I don’t think there is a problem. Just some dimwits excited because they think their scapegoat is back. Two games in transfer window still open and the bedwetting has kicked in already. 

Bedwetters or realists? I guess we'll find out after ten games.

36 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

To be fair I wish we displayed the same ambition and imagination as Brighton have in both player signings and managerial appointments. Unfortunately in my opinion they seem to have got a lot right of what we have seemingly got wrong.

We are owned by SR whereas Brighton are not - hence they continue to leave us trailing in their wake.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

Bedwetters or realists? I guess we'll find out after ten games.

Is it not possible to be a realist without wetting the bed? I think we all knew that this season would be tough and that we are likely to struggle, no matter what happens in the transfer market. The window is still open, the new players haven’t bedded in yet and we are only two games in. Plenty of time to wet the bed in the months to come, but it is a bit early now surely?

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Doesn't make it any less painful if we sign him and he flops. Of course, if we sign him he could be a roaring success in which case the scouts of the said clubs are doing their jobs.

1 minute ago, sadoldgit said:

Is it not possible to be a realist without wetting the bed? I think we all knew that this season would be tough and that we are likely to struggle, no matter what happens in the transfer market. The window is still open, the new players haven’t bedded in yet and we are only two games in. Plenty of time to wet the bed in the months to come, but it is a bit early now surely?

Well said, my thoughts exactly, the panic doesn't help anyone

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sadoldgit said:

That was kinda my point - maybe I worded it badly but I was trying to say that the 'bedwetters' could be deemed as realists if we don't show much improvement 10 games into the season. Conversely, if we suddenly click into gear, performances improve and we start picking up results over the next few games then bedwetters is apt. We'll see.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, saintant said:

We are owned by SR whereas Brighton are not - hence they continue to leave us trailing in their wake.

Imagine the abuse of SR and the general meltdown on this site if they had appointed an unknown 31 year old as manager

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Dellyears said:

Imagine the abuse of SR and the general meltdown on this site if they had appointed an unknown 31 year old as manager

Well the Brighton appointment was based on their previous good governance whereas SR have yet to demonstrate it so probably not a fair comparison.

• Like 1

Just saw a comment from a Brazil journalist that we first made contact with Corinthians for Yuri Alberto on 10th July 2024. So perhaps more of a longer term target than a last minute panic buy. 

Agree the bloopers videos and the consensus form their fans has Carillo/Lyanco style red flags a plenty. 

Interesting that he has been called up for Brazil and has previously had a big transfer fee and a few PL teams showing interest. Feels like we are gambling on him realising his early potential, a very SR signing. I’d much rather loan an experienced PL player for this key missing piece.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Just saw a comment from a Brazil journalist that we first made contact with Corinthians for Yuri Alberto on 10th July 2024. So perhaps more of a longer term target than a last minute panic buy. 

Agree the bloopers videos and the consensus form their fans has Carillo/Lyanco style red flags a plenty. 

Interesting that he has been called up for Brazil and has previously had a big transfer fee and a few PL teams showing interest. Feels like we are gambling on him realising his early potential, a very SR signing. I’d much rather loan an experienced PL player for this key missing piece.

Have to agree with you.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Who on earth is loaning out reliable, experienced PL goal scorers?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Who on earth is loaning out reliable, experienced PL goal scorers?

I'm not sure he's reliable given his injury record but I'd certainly be registering some interest in callum wilson. Maybe Chris wood too if Forest make another attacking signing. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, saintant said:

Agree both games could have been draws but that's being generous in the case of the Nottingham Forest game. Ok, the only goal stemmed from a mistake but if we're honest they were streets ahead of us all over the pitch and should have won by more than the single goal. We had one harmless shot that went straight at the keeper.

This is what Martin and the team will be looking at. Individual errors preventing us getting a point in each game. High possession stats will please them too.

They will be frustrated at the lack of movement and tempo, which rendered us a bit toothless. But they will look to various things like bedding in new players at a higher level, as well as the plan a tweaks taking a little time.

A lot of that is the same as last season. It would have been nice to have gone into this season, without having to go through it again.

Narrow defeats might give Martin confidence to build on. But we've had years of single minded tactics, with the same results. It's not new for us. It didn't save us from the drop last time either.

Martin is single minded, passionate and committed to his style. So, perhaps doesn't see where some of the frustration comes from. Not to mention, that when it doesn't click we get location maps like the above. We get games where we've failed to move a team, or break them down at all. It's a frustrating watch, seeing them play a system that doesn't look remotely likely to get a goal. Martin, of course, is looking at the risk of attacking, only to get punished.

It can work, and I'm thinking of the PL games last season, where I saw teams go end to end. But neither had any real control or movement, in the way Martin's side had. Just have to see if it works for the PL.

• Like 1

I appreciate we cannot loan from Chelsea and their small country population sized squad but there must be other options from other Prem teams for brink strikers looking to get game time?! Or even similar types of players from big European teams. You'd think there is more chance of a player playing in one of the big European teams perhaps being able to speak English better than someone who has spent the majority of their playing time in South America and there is also the climate too. Moving from South America to the UK would take a bit more acclimatization than say Germany or France.

Personally I would take something like that over a loan for someone who seemingly has the ability to earn £250 from You've Been Framed every time he steps on the pitch going by that bloopers reel we have seen of Alberto.

2 hours ago, Hawkswood said:

Look dude, I never respond to you for obvious reasons, but surely you can help yourself here. You must be able to realise when there is no need to respond to something. For you own self preservation, please stop and think before you post something.  Peace out.

1 hour ago, saint-ross said:

He was the main reason I stopped posting on here about 10 years ago. There's nothing more certain in this world than coming on this forum each week and finding more pedantic crap from him. The guy literally cannot help himself. I wish he'd just bore off tbh. 

careful we'll all be accused of bullying him again.

• Haha 1

Alberto has the potential to be an eye-catching summer signing for Saints. His former teammate Edinilson's praise tells the story of a player who could skyrocket under the right set-up: “Since (Alberto) arrived, I have seen huge potential in him. I know that, soon, we won’t have him here anymore because he has really huge potential."

He has registered an impressive tally of 57 goal contributions (43 goals and 14 assists) in 129 appearances for Corinthians, and he has even been capped once by Brazil to date. In total, he has 83 goals and 24 assists at club level across 253 appearances for some huge clubs in South America, as well as a brief spell in Russia with Zenit.

The idea of Southampton signing a player who has appeared for arguably international football's most famous and glamorous nation would immediately be an exciting prospect for many supporters, and he is still young enough to improve significantly as a footballer, too.

• Like 1

Strikers that could be available to sign or loan from PL teams, which includes a bit of scraping the barrel:

Wood/Awonyi - might fall down pecking order with Pedro coming in? Unlikely to be available.

Emmanuel Dennis - did well at Watford

Ings - rejected us already this summer

Broja - can’t loan from Chelsea 

Antonio - one last dance?

Maupay - Everton fans aren’t his favourites

Nkhetia - looks off to Palace

Evan Ferguson - injuries/unlikely

Stansfield - looked sharp on loan at Brum but not experienced.

You can see why we are looking outside the PL. Broja would suit us best but we can’t loan him.

I do think Cameron Archer would have been on this list had we not already signed him. He’s a much better player than many posters think, but not the target man we crave.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I am very confused about Yuri. On one hand "a useless Clown" on the other 17 goals this season and a Brazil cap. Like nearly everyone else on here, I have never heard of him. 

Yuri.jpg

Its stupid herd following. People see one negative statement from someone they deem an "influencer" and they just jump on the bandwagon.

A Pathetic inability to actually look into the player himself.

he's 23 and he has put in a few goals AND assists.

image.png.5fa0fd9d9c11ff6744f0fec4d2c4165d.png 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Its stupid herd following. People see one negative statement from someone they deem an "influencer" and they just jump on the bandwagon.

Brilliant - Russ will play him as completion with Adam Armstrong then on the right wing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dellyears said:

The abusive comment about Alberto being a useless joke was anonymous. Always ditch anonymous messages. Some grudge being played out. Ignore

Can I disregard 99% of comments on here? ;)

Agree with your sentiment

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Nolan said:

I was expecting to look at his history and see that he had a goal record like Sekou Mara based on the initial reaction... never heard of the guy so no real idea what to expect

1 hour ago, saintant said:

That was kinda my point - maybe I worded it badly but I was trying to say that the 'bedwetters' could be deemed as realists if we don't show much improvement 10 games into the season. Conversely, if we suddenly click into gear, performances improve and we start picking up results over the next few games then bedwetters is apt. We'll see.

I think the whole bedwetting thing is a bit strange though. Most of us think that we will do well to stay up this season. Most of us understand that finding quality PL players on our transfer/wages budget is very difficult, as is keeping PL players when bigger clubs come knocking.

If we find some gems and manage to stay up, job’s a good’un, but it shouldn’t come as a surprise or a reason, given the current circumstances, to soil the mattress if that doesn’t happen.

• Like 2

Surprised Russ just said no update on the GK situation, wasn’t Bijlow having his medical yesterday? Just not wanting to comment until it’s done or is there still a chance we do something different, such as Ramsdale? Probably the former.

4 minutes ago, Hopper said:

I’d take a punt on Alberto over Broja any day of the week. Vastly more experienced with a much better goal to game ratio and only a hair older. 

I may be wrong, but I agree. Can't see the love in with Broja. I really wanted to keep him after his first few games, but he had the injury and has done nothing anywhere since then.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

Surprised Russ just said no update on the GK situation, wasn’t Bijlow having his medical yesterday? Just not wanting to comment until it’s done or is there still a chance we do something different, such as Ramsdale? Probably the former.

Won’t comment until it’s all signed - the club would look a little foolish if they announced it then it fell through.

• Like 1

Good, logical responses from Russell on the transfer market with specific reference to the Onuachu/Kamaldeen window - he genuinely seems happy with what has been done ans what we will still do.

Interesting he wouldn't be drawn on Bijlow and that Sulemana still possible to leave.

KWP staying, would be great if he signed an extension even if just for a year but doubt he will.

Edited by Dusic

1 hour ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

This is what Martin and the team will be looking at. Individual errors preventing us getting a point in each game. High possession stats will please them too.

They will be frustrated at the lack of movement and tempo, which rendered us a bit toothless. But they will look to various things like bedding in new players at a higher level, as well as the plan a tweaks taking a little time.

A lot of that is the same as last season. It would have been nice to have gone into this season, without having to go through it again.

Narrow defeats might give Martin confidence to build on. But we've had years of single minded tactics, with the same results. It's not new for us. It didn't save us from the drop last time either.

Martin is single minded, passionate and committed to his style. So, perhaps doesn't see where some of the frustration comes from. Not to mention, that when it doesn't click we get location maps like the above. We get games where we've failed to move a team, or break them down at all. It's a frustrating watch, seeing them play a system that doesn't look remotely likely to get a goal. Martin, of course, is looking at the risk of attacking, only to get punished.

It can work, and I'm thinking of the PL games last season, where I saw teams go end to end. But neither had any real control or movement, in the way Martin's side had. Just have to see if it works for the PL.

And there’s the problem.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Disappointing that. A chance to bring in a player clearly better than we have who already knows the system and the club. 

Its hardly a surprise, where would you play him? Besides theyve bought in Big Lesley from Chelsea to play his role and that would be a total waste of a loan, plus theres Downes of course. We dont need anyone else who can pass sideways and slow the play down even further. 

• Like 3