Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

10 minutes ago, Orkney Saint said:

Yeah, the potential price tag would be my main concern. They’ve just sold Idah and Rowe too, so will be even more keen to hang on to Sargent. As I said in an earlier post, I would’ve liked us to sign him when we were relegated. 

When you look at Palace signing Eddie Nketiah  for £25 million (plus £5million add ons) it shows that Sargent simply wouldn't be good value (or would just be too much of a risk, there's nothing saying he wouldn't make a Prem striker, just too much of a risk in a season where we need to stay up). I'm not saying Nketiah is the answer for us either, just that the money is probably the same for him and for what Norwich would want for Sargent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

I take those quotes to mean he's negotiating the wages, fees etc.

There's nothing to suggest he's recommending the players or anything. I fail to see what the problem is here?

I don’t think there is a problem. Just some dimwits excited because they think their scapegoat is back. Two games in transfer window still open and the bedwetting has kicked in already. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, manji said:

I don’t think there is a problem. Just some dimwits excited because they think their scapegoat is back. Two games in transfer window still open and the bedwetting has kicked in already. 

I'm surprised you're still so upbeat considering you were tipping us for ramsdale and o'riley and we've got neither. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm surprised you're still so upbeat considering you were tipping us for ramsdale and o'riley and we've got neither. 

I never said we were getting them in fact if I remember I said I was living in hope. I have to say I am pissed off with Brighton signing him. Hopefully they are overstretching themselves and will collapse in a big heap. As others have mentioned it was that long ago they didn’t have a ground. There’s nothing I’d like better than see Brighton and the bucket rattlers fail

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, manji said:

I never said we were getting them in fact if I remember I said I was living in hope. I have to say I am pissed off with Brighton signing him. Hopefully they are overstretching themselves and will collapse in a big heap. As others have mentioned it was that long ago they didn’t have a ground. There’s nothing I’d like better than see Brighton and the bucket rattlers fail

I know you never claimed it as fact. You're normally a realistic poster, you must see how deficient we are in certain areas of the squad and I don't think believe you think that's going to be solved by this striker? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeG said:

Is this Brazilian fella not going to one of our big sister clubs?

By the sounds of things he's not good enough for the French third tier. Goztepe could use another CF, but if we fail to sell Tall Paul and Martin has no interest in using him then there's an obvious match there since he's proven in Turkey (15 in 21 last year).

Guess the club really are planning to go back down and get promoted again with a stronger side if we're signing another Brazilian who will need to go to Goztepe for a year before he can play for us. Next summer in the championship we'll have 4 or 5 players coming back from loan to them eligible to play for us all of a sudden. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Wouldn't shock me at all if someone comes in and tempts us for Kyle this week. £20Million can do alot.

Us fans would obviously love him to stay even if he runs his contract down but money talks and unless he signs the contract, he's gone if someone comes in for him. With Suga at RB and Bree as backup, we're fine there but Taylor and Manning are a step down on the left, particularly if we persevere with wing backs. It's possible we're holding on to Larios for this possibility.

If the sale of KWP allowed us to bring in a decent winger/AM/striker, it wouldn't be the worst thing but I hope he stays. Even better if he signs the contract.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

The board would definitely consider a £20Million bid, would be silly not too.

What's the point in banking the money now that many of the promising players have gone elsewhere and we haven't spent more than 18 million on one player this entire window. If it happens I'll start seriously considering the possibility that we aren't making any serious attempt to survive this year. 

• Like 3

West ham are terminating Ings contract?

Surely we should go in for him..... 

Why are we stockpiling shit Brazilian players? 

Are we trying to replicate the Wolves model? And have a team of Brazilian maestro's 🤣

Jesus Wept! Stop trying to be clever and get us Ings or a flaming Ings replacement we have been crying out for like 3 seasons now..... 

Edited by ally_uk
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What's the point in banking the money now that many of the promising players have gone elsewhere and we haven't spent more than 18 million on one player this entire window. If it happens I'll start seriously considering the possibility that we aren't making any serious attempt to survive this year. 

We'd be nuts not to take money for him rather than giving him away free next year. There's also the FFP gain of getting cash for him. 

I'm surprised he's still here to be honest, but unless he signs a contract extension (even just a year), him going this week feels inevitable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

We'd be nuts not to take money for him rather than giving him away free next year. There's also the FFP gain of getting cash for him. 

I'm surprised he's still here to be honest, but unless he signs a contract extension (even just a year), him going this week feels inevitable. 

Right but given the short amount of time left in the window and the objective presumably of staying up this season, does anyone think a kwp sale now is going to improve our chances? I was resigned to losing him but it's now reached the point where we are really going to struggle to replace him and we should consider keeping him until at least January imo. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, egg said:

£20Million enables to bring someone in who wasn't obtainable too prior.

I think deadline day this year is going to go nuts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Right but given the short amount of time left in the window and the objective presumably of staying up this season, does anyone think a kwp sale now is going to improve our chances? I was resigned to losing him but it's now reached the point where we are really going to struggle to replace him and we should consider keeping him until at least January imo. 

Selling KWP won't be the difference between staying up or going down imo -  he's been replaced by Suga, and our issues are further up the pitch and our mental tactics. 

Regardless, we ain't going to let him leave for free if we can get big cash. Even if we don't reinvest the cash this window, it helps FFP. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, manji said:

Well if he is valued at €24m then we’ve got next to no chance of signing him I would imagine. Not unless they’re confident of the sales of TP, Charley and at least one other…perhaps KWP. I’m surprised he’s anywhere near a top ten of Brazilian goal scorers, but who knows?

7 hours ago, manji said:

So you are a big fan of Ankerson then and rated what he did for us last time he got involved in our transfer activity? 

38 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Are we trying to replicate the Wolves model? And have a team of Brazilian maestro's 🤣

Jesus Wept! Stop trying to be clever and get us Ings or a flaming Ings replacement we have been crying out for like 3 seasons now..... 

Ings isn’t the same player that he was when he was with us. Age and injury have caught up with him - plus I don’t think he’s that motivated (Particularly to play for us) there’s reasons why he doesn’t play and doesn’t score anymore. Do not touch with a barge pole. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, egg said:

Selling KWP won't be the difference between staying up or going down imo

From what I've seen in the first two games, I would be inclined to disagree with you there. He's easily our player and has been running the show in the opening matches... Head and shoulders above most of the squad. The difference between staying up and going down this season is likely to come down to a few points, at most, and I feel losing KWP diminishes our chances of staying up. The only caveat to that is whether or not we're able to reinvest the £20m in a player who can be equally influential (in whatever position) but SR's track record to-date would suggest that's not guaranteed. If we're serious about staying up then banking £20m now instead of letting KWP go on a free this time next year is a potential false economy IMO. Of course, if we're resigned to the likelihood of going straight back down then, I agree, getting as much as we can for KWP now makes complete sense...

Edited by trousers
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

We wouldn’t have signed THB, Downes. Big Les on loan, Fernandes if that was the case.

But signing an injury prone keeper with a 20 game clause why not a fit one? A Brazilian who looks a shocker makes me think we have lost plot.

Is our recruitment now suddenly based on who can fit Saints and Goztepe?

There isn’t a better centre forward in the whole of Scandinavia, Korea, Japan or Europe better than this guy for 3m loan fee? I get we are skint .

Of course we want to stay up but bloody hell with stupid tactics and our sudden nuts recruitment we are making it hard too.

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That isn't a question.

For the love of god, stop.

If you’re going to unleash your pedantry on correcting sentence structure and grammar we may as well close the site.

• Like 22
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That isn't a question.

Feel free to resume your spamming of threads if you must MLG, but no need to be a pedantic idiot. 

• Like 5

What a place this has become, anyone reading this would think we are down already

Saturday was poor, awful setup playing the front two so wide but this looked good and we created chances away at Newcastle. Both games could have been draws apart from individual mistakes. 

As for transfers, we have signed some good players, it will take time to gel as a team, some are for the future, some, like the Japanese midfielder, we would not get without being able to use the Turkish team for a year, he may be a diamond who knows. 

As for the proposed Brazilian striker, he may also work out or flop but what are the choices. It's the market we have to work in. Broja for£30 million? He had had six good months then nothing, Sargent for£20 million, we have three forwards who have done it in the championship already. 

Just give it some time for pity sake.

Edited by Bob60
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

That isn't a reply that offers any enlightment. 

Do you consider this as a question, are you a failed school teacher 🤣

He literally was/is a school teacher. He's also autistic which is obvious to anyone who interacts with him for more than 2 minutes. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Can we stick to our meltdown rather than some personal traits please

Yes, I think we're quite entitled to start our meltdown.

a) Remember that January shopping window a couple of years ago when SR went in to panic buy mode? A goal-keeper with weak wrists and a striker that on the surface looks like a joke, is negating all the good work of the transfer so far.

b) I don't buy in to this idea of 'give us time, we have to find our feet in this new league'. Those tactics on Saturday were so negative and so lacking of ideas and that was a real concern. That again resembled our last season in the premier league when, if there was a passing sideways and backwards league table, we would have been top. Things need to change.

Personally, I'm pinning hope on Les and Fernandes being inspired signings.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That isn't a question.

Look dude, I never respond to you for obvious reasons, but surely you can help yourself here. You must be able to realise when there is no need to respond to something. For you own self preservation, please stop and think before you post something.  Peace out.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, 6ft8saint said:

Also didn't we sell 140m of players to other clubs jwp/lavia/tino

I get there's 80m gap and relegation to consider but we still got balloon payments. 

It just feels the gap has got bigger

Responding to your two posts:

JWP + Tino + Lavia = £102 million.  And the Brighton figure was for four players!

The “dog shite” comment was about two to three years of poor value signings.  Orsic, Tall Paul, Kamaldeen, Diallo, Lyanco, DCC, the list goes on.  The gap is absolutely MASSIVE now and that is because Brighton have made good choices and we have made woeful ones.  Look at their managerial appointments over recent years compared to ours.  

It won’t be like this for ever, but right now this is where we are at.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Orkney Saint said:

After seeing the Alberto videos, can I still tempt anyone with Josh Sargent? 😏

P.S. I’m not Sargent’s agent, honest! 😁

Saint Clark is a big fan of his

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forester said:

Responding to your two posts:

JWP + Tino + Lavia = £102 million.  And the Brighton figure was for four players!

The “dog shite” comment was about two to three years of poor value signings.  Orsic, Tall Paul, Kamaldeen, Diallo, Lyanco, DCC, the list goes on.  The gap is absolutely MASSIVE now and that is because Brighton have made good choices and we have made woeful ones.  Look at their managerial appointments over recent years compared to ours.  

It won’t be like this for ever, but right now this is where we are at.  

Lavia - 53m

Tino - 32m

Jwp 30m

115m 

Simple maffs

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

That isn't a question.

it categorically was a question. Signified by the Question mark at the end.

"West ham are terminating Ings contract?" denotes surprise and its quite easy to ascertain the meaning.

next time try saying it out loud and raising the pitch of your voice on the last syllable.

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ally_uk said:

He doesn't want to come back. Or at least didn't at the start of the window. 

Move on from Ings. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Orkney Saint said:

After seeing the Alberto videos, can I still tempt anyone with Josh Sargent? 😏

P.S. I’m not Sargent’s agent, honest! 😁

We should have signed him last year imo. Good player. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, manji said:

To be fair I wish we displayed the same ambition and imagination as Brighton have in both player signings and managerial appointments. Unfortunately in my opinion they seem to have got a lot right of what we have seemingly got wrong.