Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

4 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

That would be preferable to passing it around in a U shape with Armstrong and Brereton Diaz hugging the touchline when we have the ball!

image.thumb.png.47bd862d8d3ae8b7842d56376f2b79cc.png

pretty, pretty, pretty good...If our next 36 results are 0-0. We will finish with 36 points and -2GD. Fighting chance to stay up with that.

COYS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

He is Goztepe chairman, but in this BBC interview with Russell Martin he mentions in the bit on Sekou Mara: “There has been a lot of interest. I think one of the clubs has engaged in dialogue with Rasmus [Ankersen], so we will wait and see.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0jk2bhn

So it seems he is back involved in Saints transfers both outgoing like Mara and also incoming possibly like Fernandes...

https://x.com/AlfieHouseEcho/status/1826585540281708874

I take those quotes to mean he's negotiating the wages, fees etc.

There's nothing to suggest he's recommending the players or anything. I fail to see what the problem is here?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Russell Martin has confirmed Rasmus Ankersen is involved with our transfers this summer, both incoming and outgoing.

I’d fecking lock Rasmus in a box until the transfer windows closed, the absolute 🔔 end.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

There's nothing to suggest he's recommending the players or anything. I fail to see what the problem is here?

Yep. I think people are assuming he's become chief scout rather than chief negotiator. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

They have been terrible owners. Moshiri made the biggest ever investment into Everton….another terrible owner 

Didn't mosshiri build a huge stadium for them

2 hours ago, Forester said:

You sound astonished that there is a gulf between Brighton and Saints’ pulling power.  Here are a few things that may help:

- we splashed millions on absolute dog shite signings two to three years ago, along with paying off poor managerial appointments

- we then got relegated, missing out on full Premier League money last year.  Meanwhile Brighton enjoyed European football

- Brighton have in the last few years sold Bassouma, Caciedo, Cucarella and Trossard for a total of £228 million.  That excludes fees for other players, it is just those four listed.  

So when you say “for whatever reason”, I hope this has helped to crack the puzzle!

This is exactly the case, the gulf was already getting bigger but our mistakes have allowed Brighton and even Bournemouth to an extent to accelerate past us. It will take a good few years of PL football to bridge it, but there will come a time where Brighton loose their touch slightly - and 1 or two bad transfer windows for a club of their size, as we all know, can equal curtains and stunt your progress overnight.

I'd say we're also still paying for the poor signings of Lemina, Carillo, Hoedt, Boufal, Elyounoussi, as well as the recent additions of Sulemana, Onuachu, ABK. Add all that up and it's £150-160m worth of player just there. We'll get back about £10-15m if we're lucky.

I get the odd poor buy here and there, but we literally had to pay up Lemina, Carillo, Boufal and Hoedt just to get them out of the club. It's that sort of failiure which is unacceptable for a club like us, and we're somewhat fortunte that we are back in the PL. SR deserve credit in the investment they've put into us to soften the blow slightly of all those years. We're getting there there again slowly, but I do still question some of the decision making within SR - not so much the intention, as it's clear, but their decisions are often a bit questionable and naive.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Doesnt he have shares in a software program that scouts players? I seem to recall Charly Alcaraz was initially scouted from it?

Southampton have held initial talks with Corinthians over the signing of striker Yuri Alberto.

One source has told Sky Sports News an opening offer has been rejected by the Brazilian club.

Saints remain confident of striking a deal before Friday's deadline, however.

Alberto has scored 17 goals this season for Corinthians and was capped by Brazil last year.

I guess we offered a packet of Walkers and a half eaten mars bar as the opening offer? ;) 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

Didn't mosshiri build a huge stadium for them

He has almost run them out of business in doing so. He’s thrown money at it (his or Usamov’s hard to say …) but made a series of reckless decisions without the first inkling of a coherent plan until Thelwell came in as DOF.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

What's the predictions then for what other business gets done by the end of the window with the keeper basically confirmed? 

I reckon kwp stays, ABK out on loan. Onuachu out for 5 million with addons and Alcaraz going too. Possibility that Bree or manning go if kwp is staying. To my mind we have to get a striker in to provide a focal point up front but I don't think we will. Instead I think we will buy one attacking player who could play accross the front line that's probably our Alcaraz replacement. I think we could see a winger on loan and probably another lb if I'm wrong and KWP does leave. Given that we didn't sign Jack clarke and Martin said we weren't going for that type of player I reckon the winger we go for could be on the RW. 

So that's two more players in addition to the keeper and another lb if kwp goes. Personally I don't think that will be sufficient to give us enough in attack but you never know. 

Although it looks as though a few (of the no doubt many) targets have gone elsewhere, it could still be busy.

Not fitting into Martin's system/ plans, the club and the agents of a few will be trying to find a new home.

ABK, Onuachu, Charlie, Sule and Lis (if he hasn't already gone on loan) top that list.

Bree/Manning, if KWP stays, fall down the pecking order with the arrival of Sugawara and Taylor. Meghoma might also be on the move, with a year left and not much chance of breaking into the squad.

Charles could do with a season on loan at a decent club, to really develop.

At the start of the window, it looked like we needed to replace McCarthy, Downes, Stu, Che, Fraser, Brooks/Tella and get DM cover. Of those 7 we've arguably signed 3/4.

If Fernandes is more of a Lavia/Livramento standard, and if Les is similar then, along with Downes, we've a versatile midfield. If they are Charles and Charlie replacements needing a bit of development, then we still need a Stu replacement.

We've brought in 2 forwards, but still have a Che shaped hole in the squad. As was very evident against Forest. Stewart can't be relied upon to be that replacement.

Martin may want BBD and AA in the wider attacking positions of a 3. If they are a more central 2, then the need for wide attackers is lessened. Even so, someone lke Fraser would be still useful. We need a direct, versatile player to give us depth there. Perhaps that's where Martin sees BBD. None of Sule, Edozie, SAA or Dibling are there yet.

• Like 1

Feels like the perfect time for HR to start typing up their 11:15 lament about how difficult it is to conclude transfers during the summer window and how we’ve tried really hard but we’re fully behind Russell and feel like we will be ultra competitive with our bestest squad ever TM.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Doesnt he have shares in a software program that scouts players? I seem to recall Charly Alcaraz was initially scouted from it?

Yes exactly. His brother’s company, coincidentally. There seem two distinct transfers we get involved with - British players who largely seem to be recommended by the incumbent manager (Bree, Harwood-Bellis, Downes, Wood, Taylor); and data-led signings which I assume are through the Ankersen process (Lyanco, ABK, Onuachu, Charly, Shea, Fernandes, Orsic, Sulemana, Lavia, Edozie, Aribo). The latter appears to have a success rate of 1 (Lavia) which was seemingly Shields’ call anyway. The rest has been largely a waste of >£100m (Fernandes obviously excepted, and Charly honourably excused as we got out money back at least). So all in all not a great record from the Chuckle Brothers data so far. 

Edited by benali-shorts
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, benali-shorts said:

Yes exactly. His brother’s company, coincidentally. There seem two distinct transfers we get involved with - British players who largely seem to be recommended by the incumbent manager (Bree, Harwood-Bellis, Downes, Wood, Taylor); and data-led signings which I assume are through the Ankersen process (Lyanco, ABK, Onuachu, Charly, Shea, Fernandes, Orsic, Sulemana, Lavia, Edozie, Aribo). The latter appears to have a success rate of 1 (Lavia) which was seemingly Shields’ call anyway. The rest has been largely a waste of >£100m (Fernandes obviously excepted, and Charly honourably excused as we got out money back at least). So all in all not a great record from the Chuckle Brothers data so far. 

Lyanco was done prior to SR, but still a poor pick by Matt Crocker at the time.

Add Mara onto your list of expensive fails as well, he was another data driven punt.

Fuck me lads if this is our shining hope of an attacking signing for this season then we really are fucked before we've started. How is it we managed to sign a more promising forward on paper last season in the sodding championship? I'd genuinely rather have Adams still lining up for us. I'd take a punt on a youngster from one of the big boy's academies. If it's a finance issue then why did we spend so much on Fernandes if we had no cash? It feels a bit like we are just trying to get everything sorted for next seasons championship. Last week we had faints hopes of Ramsdale, O'riley and Clarke and this week it's back down to earth with a bump seemingly looking to sign the Brazilian Frank Spencer. It's the Southampton comedy show. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Lyanco was done prior to SR, but still a poor pick by Matt Crocker at the time.

Add Mara onto your list of expensive fails as well, he was another data driven punt.

Ah yes, I’d forgotten Mara. £10m more. 
I should also acknowledge Tino as a positive, God knows how we beat Brighton to his signature. 

3 minutes ago, benali-shorts said:

Ah yes, I’d forgotten Mara. £10m more. 
I should also acknowledge Tino as a positive, God knows how we beat Brighton to his signature. 

Tino was another pre-SR - not looking good for SR!

20 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Fuck me lads if this is our shining hope of an attacking signing for this season then we really are fucked before we've started. How is it we managed to sign a more promising forward on paper last season in the sodding championship? I'd genuinely rather have Adams still lining up for us. I'd take a punt on a youngster from one of the big boy's academies. If it's a finance issue then why did we spend so much on Fernandes if we had no cash? It feels a bit like we are just trying to get everything sorted for next seasons championship. Last week we had faints hopes of Ramsdale, O'riley and Clarke and this week it's back down to earth with a bump seemingly looking to sign the Brazilian Frank Spencer. It's the Southampton comedy show. 

As good as Fernandes may be I cannot fathom why we spent £15m on him when we clearly have no cash. For the price of him and Archer we could have had a go at a decent striker. God knows how we’ve ended up with Yuri Alberto on loan as the great hope.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, James said:

As good as Fernandes may be I cannot fathom why we spent £15m on him when we clearly have no cash. For the price of him and Archer we could have had a go at a decent striker. God knows how we’ve ended up with Yuri Alberto on loan as the great hope.

This is the crux of it for me, hampered by having little £ we don’t spend what we have wisely.

The Fernandes signing I’d give some leeway on and reserve judgment as it does seem a player with potential from everything I’ve read. Archer and Alberto if it happens defy belief. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Orkney Saint said:

After seeing the Alberto videos, can I still tempt anyone with Josh Sargent? 😏

P.S. I’m not Sargent’s agent, honest! 😁

96 top flight games in his career ...13 goals. No thanks - we have Champ level strikers already at the club.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

This is a laugh for your bank holiday Monday viewing -

As I said, highly rated a few years ago - but fallen by the wayside quite a bit. Not sure what we've seen in him, because Corinthians have wanted rid for a little while.

Wasn't sure if the vid was genuine at first, but it tallies with the 7-minute 3-part compilation I found on youtube. Nice to see a highlights video with genuine commentary for once. If he can't find the net, I can only assume his xG is sky high and his movement is magnificent to justify our interest in him.

Top comment is from Sunday: "lol you have to update the video, today against Fortaleza there was another incident like that."

• Haha 1

Thought the Alberto (goals and skills) video showed a good range of goals, and someone who can actually score a header! Might be handy now we have Sugawara, a player who can put some good crosses in…

Funny that Corinthian fans are saying the same things now he might be leaving that we said about Adams, who we are now seemingly desperate to come back…! 

I have no idea if he’s actually good, but if we sign him, willing to give him a chance at least!

Edited by disconnect
Someone posted a bloopers video just above this!
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Thought the Alberto (goals and skills) video showed a good range of goals, and someone who can actually score a header! Might be handy now we have Sugawara, a player who can put some good crosses in…

Funny that Corinthian fans are saying the same things now he might be leaving that we said about Adams, who we are now seemingly desperate to come back…! 

I have no idea if he’s actually good, but if we sign him, willing to give him a chance at least!

Er… when did that happen?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Don’t think so. 

The only thing 99.9% of us agree on is that we’re in desperate need of a clinical striker, and have been for years. 

McAdams ain’t that. 

I would also take the link to the Brazilian donkey 🫏 with a pinch of salt. Can’t see Dragon letting this 1 fly

Edited by Raging Bull

37 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Football Martin fella on YouTube saying some people from the club would be keen for a jwp return. I'd certainly consider it a positive move given our deficiencies in other areas. 

I'm a fan of JWP and for the right price I'd love to see him back but we have a potential midfield three of Fernandes, Lesley and Downes with Smallbone, Lallana, Dibling and Aribo competing and I just fell we need to sort the attack out way more than central midfield. Our attack looks weak compared to the rest of the team (as long as we get Bijlow in). 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Martin needs a decent centre forward for £25-30m, which he could have had between the potential fee on this dud from Brazil and Archer

This is the key point to me... Yes, SR have spent substantial amounts of money on transfers since taking over, but we end up spreading our relatively modest budget too thinly IMO. As you say, why didn't we spend our remaining striker budget on a single player in the higher price bracket rather than on two seemingly mediocre strikers in the lower price bracket? Buying one very good striker for £30m is better than buying two average strikers for 2 x £15m, surely?

#QualityOverQuantity

Edited by trousers
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

Fernandes and the Brazilian lads are clearly SR signings.

You’re telling me that Russell Martin sanctioned the Fernandes signing and the Brazilian lads, despite clearly having a British core to the team last season and talking about keeping that cohesion going into this season?

It’s like Nicola Cortese and Gaston Ramirez all over again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

96 top flight games in his career ...13 goals. No thanks - we have Champ level strikers already at the club.

Yes, all whilst under the age of 21 and playing as a winger/midfielder, for Norwich at least. In the Championship since then, (22-23) 13 goals in 40 games; (23-24) 16 in 26; (24-25) 2 in 3. So showing signs of steady improvement, no?

Any signing obviously has risks, whatever level they come from. But not all players remain “Champ level”, some actually improve. How often have Saints signed proven Premier League level strikers? Who would you realistically like to see us sign?

In reality, I think this is the level of player that the Saints will need to be looking at. Someone with potential that might or might not work. We don’t appear to have the money to go out and buy or attract proven Premier/Top level strikers, and I don’t think we have for at least 40 odd years, if my memory serves me right.

3 hours ago, benali-shorts said:

His hair is fine,

He signs shit players all the time,

That's why we're going down,

Rasmus Ankersen's a fucking clown. 

I can see this being a popular song near the end of this season.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Orkney Saint said:

Yes, all whilst under the age of 21 and playing as a winger/midfielder, for Norwich at least. In the Championship since then, (22-23) 13 goals in 40 games; (23-24) 16 in 26; (24-25) 2 in 3. So showing signs of steady improvement, no?

Any signing obviously has risks, whatever level they come from. But not all players remain “Champ level”, some actually improve. How often have Saints signed proven Premier League level strikers? Who would you realistically like to see us sign?

In reality, I think this is the level of player that the Saints will need to be looking at. Someone with potential that might or might not work. We don’t appear to have the money to go out and buy or attract proven Premier/Top level strikers, and I don’t think we have for at least 40 odd years, if my memory serves me right.

He's a good Championship striker that is only 24 and is getting better with game time and may or may not make the step up to the Prem - but for the money Norwich want for him (£25 million+ with a contract until 2028) he's not yet worth it IMO as he'd be too big of a risk. He leads the line well, presses well, brings others into play and can finish but... his injury record is somewhat iffy. I think Bournemouth have been interested though which shows the sort of level he may get to and for that money we should be able to do better.

Enter this Yuri fella...

• Like 1

Just now, SNSUN said:

He's a good Championship striker that is only 24 and is getting better with game time and may or may not make the step up to the Prem - but for the money Norwich want for him (£25 million+ with a contract until 2028) he's not yet worth it IMO as he'd be too big of a risk. He leads the line well, presses well, brings others into play and can finish but... his injury record is somewhat iffy. I think Bournemouth have been interested though which shows the sort of level he may get to and for that money we should be able to do better.

Enter this Yuri fella...

Yeah, the potential price tag would be my main concern. They’ve just sold Idah and Rowe too, so will be even more keen to hang on to Sargent. As I said in an earlier post, I would’ve liked us to sign him when we were relegated.