Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

A striker and a goalkeeper have been an issue for a couple of years now, less than a week left and neither closer to being resolved.

The attacker piece is laughable because that suggests we’re going to do some attacking, which given our timid 5-5-0 formation at home at the weekend suggests otherwise.

Of everything going at the minute, how have you come to that conclusion? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

A striker and a goalkeeper have been an issue for a couple of years now, less than a week left and neither closer to being resolved.

Justin Bijlow has said his goodbyes to Feyenoord and had his medical today and we now have news of a striker bid.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

Can we cut live to the new keeper’s medical for a bit of light relief? All gone very quiet. Have they discovered he only has one hand? Rasmus is such a cock

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That is showing his best bits, but also some pretty poor finishes in there. He does have ability as he was highly rated for a reason in the past, WHU tried for him a year or two ago (Although their record on signing strikers is naff to say the least) - but the last year/18 months have been tragic for him really, I see some Brazilian fans calling him the worst number 9 in the Brazilian Serie A. 

My feeling on this one is that we've gone on a punt based on what he was in the past, potential etc, in the hope that he can rediscover what made him spoken about a few years ago. He's a similar style to that of Jonathan Calleri if you remember him, Was at WHU for a season and flopped (and he's regarded as a better player than Alberto)

Rasmus playing Moneyball by the sounds of it.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Justin Bijlow has said his goodbyes to Feyenoord and had his medical today and we now have news of a striker bid.

Unfortunately the striker link is underwhelming to say the least.  Just Luke when SR took over it seems like we are bring used as a guinea pig to try out untested ideas and approaches.

Long season but understandably people are uncomfortable with what has transpired so far.

Edited by stevematthews635
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yep. It's why we are being all clever again and signing Carlos kickaballs from miles away. 

Made all the more ridiculous with the possible departure of Alcarez, who is a talented player with potential, yet it hasn’t worked out as we hoped. Shouldn’t that set alarm bells over our approach and scouting? 

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Trust saints to be interested in the only Brazilian with zero skill on the ball. 

I understand that one minute cameo is the short version. There's a 5 minute version of the Yuri Albertos highlights.

Evidently our scouts have filtered their search with "Che Adams" and this guy has popped up!

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Russell Martin has confirmed Rasmus Ankersen is involved with our transfers this summer, both incoming and outgoing.

That’s it then. The final nail is about to be hammered. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This is a laugh for your bank holiday Monday viewing -

As I said, highly rated a few years ago - but fallen by the wayside quite a bit. Not sure what we've seen in him, because Corinthians have wanted rid for a little while.

Meet the new Che, same as the old Che?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Badger said:

I thought Rasmus had fucked off to Turkey and was preoccupied with Goztepe. 

He is Goztepe chairman, but in this BBC interview with Russell Martin he mentions in the bit on Sekou Mara: “There has been a lot of interest. I think one of the clubs has engaged in dialogue with Rasmus [Ankersen], so we will wait and see.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0jk2bhn

So it seems he is back involved in Saints transfers both outgoing like Mara and also incoming possibly like Fernandes...

https://x.com/AlfieHouseEcho/status/1826585540281708874

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Championship here we come 

Not content with relegating us once. 

If it’s not broken break it, then fix it and break it again for good measure 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

How about we wait and see how the new signings do over a decent sample size of games?

The state the manager is in compounded with Anderson having his paws on signings……

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

How about we wait and see how the new signings do over a decent sample size of games?

you should know better than that!

Everyone on here is a football expert about every player out there despite never having heard of half the players linked with us.

• Like 7

Yeah, I'm not too enthusiastic about this Yuri Alberto. He's even got a joke compilation, like Joe Lumley did when we signed him. It's the complete opposite of Bijlow, a good goalkeeper who has played in Europe and is loved by Feyenoord fans. And, then you go for a 23 year old striker from Brazil who Corinthians fans don't rate at all.

The bloke last hit double figures in the lower quality Brazilian league in the 2020-21 season. Since then he's bagged 20 goals in 72 league appearances. We need goals, what are we seeing in this guy?

He has a better scoring record than Juan being the only positive really.

Just now, BARCELONASAINT said:

you should know better than that!

Everyone on here is a football expert about every player out there despite never having heard of half the players linked with us.

Oh yeah and the last time saints got relegated and anyone was a little bit critical with our signings you got derided by the same deluded lot who can't handle any sort or criticism. Of course everyone wants these signings to work out but stating the obvious that some of them don't seem great or not as good as we need is a perfectly reasonable thing to say. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bangkoksaint said:

A Brazilian non-goal getter that’s coming from the warmth of South America to the hotbed of the Premier League as we go into the winter……..what could possibly go wrong??

Makes the suggestion of Josh Sargeant on another thread more appealing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

As I said, highly rated a few years ago - but fallen by the wayside quite a bit. Not sure what we've seen in him, because Corinthians have wanted rid for a little while.

What the fuck are we doing?!?! Uggghhhh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I choose to believe that this video was actually achieved with the use of A.I. and he actually plants each and every one of those shots in the back of the net. 

But seriously, I’ve never heard of him but stats wise he’s 23 and has scored goals wherever he’s been… however I remember when we were linked with Carrillo how people were bemoaning the transfer before it happened, and that proved to be correct. So I have decided to stand with the fans. Down with Yuri! Guilty until proven innocent! 

I suspect the fact we are going for Alberto is because Corinthians are willing to do a loan deal. Genuinely can’t see any other reason for it as he looks, at best, bang average. Would rather get Josh Sargent or someone of that ilk.

We’ve really had to do things on a shoe string this summer haven’t we? The places where we’ve spent our money are, with hindsight, a little odd.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Russell Martin has confirmed Rasmus Ankersen is involved with our transfers this summer, both incoming and outgoing.

His hair is fine,

He signs shit players all the time,

That's why we're going down,

Rasmus Ankersen's a fucking clown. 

• Haha 8

Didn't take long for the chuckle brothers (RA and RM) to get rid of the feel good factor of promotion.

Total joke.

Playing without strikers, not making incisive forward passes and now we are getting rid of players like Alcaraz and TP and getting in utter dross to replace them. If you are going to experiment, experiment with those 2, not untried comedy players.

Why do we always end up with such total dullards making the decisions at our club?

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, benali-shorts said:

His hair is fine,

He signs shit players all the time,

That's why we're going down,

Rasmus Ankersen's a fucking clown. 

Excuse me, we've just come up, please post sense

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

That’s going to end well then, the kid who made Phil Giles’s tea at Brentford and filled in some spreadsheets, and thinks that entitles him to take 50% of the credit. Rasmus knows bugger all about football, even Rupert Lowe knew more!

Ok, Danish league I’m sure someone will point but even Les Reed’s comedy midget had some initial success at Rangers before getting found out. Not so easy in the bigger leagues where being a spreadsheet jockey is no help. Exactly the type of fucked up strategy from 2022/23 - quantity over any quality and shitloads pissed up the wall crippling the club financially and on PSR. 

Anyone who thought Nathan Jones was a suitable manager shouldn’t be allowed any involvement with SFC. 

What the hell Dragan is doing letting him anywhere near the club again? Please, either sell the club now or bring in a DoF with a top flight bigger league pedigree (latter is my preference as I don’t mind SR per se and I like the other two clubs in the group, I just think Rasmus is out of his depth).

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gloucester Saint said:

That’s going to end well then, the kid who made Phil Giles’s tea at Brentford and filled in some spreadsheets, and thinks that entitles him to take 50% of the credit. Rasmus knows bugger all about football, even Rupert Lowe knew more!

Ok, Danish league I’m sure someone will point but even Les Reed’s comedy midget had some initial success at Rangers before getting found out. Not so easy in the bigger leagues where being a spreadsheet jockey is no help. Exactly the type of fucked up strategy from 2022/23 - quantity over any quality and shitloads pissed up the wall crippling the club financially and on PSR. 

Anyone who thought Nathan Jones was a suitable manager shouldn’t be allowed any involvement with SFC. 

What the hell Dragan doing letting him anywhere near the club again?

Looks like we've had a very good window. Never thought we would spend so much. We've strengthened every department. Some will be winners but not all, that's true for every club. Why the moaners?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Badger said:

Made all the more ridiculous with the possible departure of Alcarez, who is a talented player with potential, yet it hasn’t worked out as we hoped. Shouldn’t that set alarm bells over our approach and scouting? 

Surely Alvarez was a “Carlos Kickaballs from miles away” when we signed him?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

What the hell Dragan is doing letting him anywhere near the club again? Please, sell the club now or bring in a DoF with a top flight bigger league pedigree. 

Sports republic have been terrible owners of this club 

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

They've made by far the biggest investment ever made by owners in the history of the club.

Sure they've made mistakes, but their heart appears in the right place and they have put a lot of money into the club. They are trying something new with the group of clubs which many are dismissive of, but should ultimately benefit Saints as all clubs in the group are built up. It gives work permit benefits, shared scouting and allows for rotation of players through the clubs depending on the point in their careers. 

• Like 3

They've made by far the biggest investment ever made by owners in the history of the club.

Sure they've made mistakes, but their heart appears in the right place and they have put a lot of money into the club. They are trying something new with the group of clubs which many are dismissive of, but should ultimately benefit Saints as all clubs in the group are built up. It gives work permit benefits, shared scouting and allows for rotation of players through the clubs depending on the point in their careers. 

They have been terrible owners. Moshiri made the biggest ever investment into Everton….another terrible owner 

• Confused 1

That's lovely and all but I want some concrete hope that we will actually be able to score goals, get points, win games, and have a crack at survival.

Saturday was almost like RM was trying not to score and get a valiant 0-0. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

Looks like we've had a very good window. Never thought we would spend so much. We've strengthened every department. Some will be winners but not all, that's true for every club. Why the moaners?

Russell Martin is alright with me, as are Dragan and Kraft but I just can’t stand Rasmus Ankerson. I’ve had to work with his sort and bypass them so I can work around their ‘ideas’ becuase none of them ever function in practice. Realist is the accurate term - have a look at the 2022/23 transfer dealings and manager merry go around and resulting bill, which still hobbles the club. Bloated squad with little quality is where spreadsheet jockeys take you. And recruitment was bad enough 2016-22 as well with Reed/Wilson/Semmens squandering loads. Gao was appalling as an owner but what they were given they wasted and let Ralph down.

Martin needs a decent centre forward for £25-30m, which he could have had between the potential fee on this dud from Brazil and Archer. At least Russell is getting one I suppose which is more than Ralph got, even if the reviews sound like Lyanco’s were from Torino.

Pay peanuts, and you know what you get….this will be with the Carrillo and TP debacles around £70m without signing on fees, wages and agent costs. If we did that in our workplaces….

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

That’s bullshit, they’ve invested heavily, they are doing things within the FFP guidelines and they are not gambling the financial security of the club.

I’m not blown away by some of the transfers deals that have happened or are currently being talked about but this club didn’t get a penny off Gao and they have addressed that. 

You are, as is often the case, over reacting and talking out of your arse.

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Russell Martin is alright with me, as are Dragan and Kraft but I just can’t stand Rasmus Ankerson. I’ve had to work with his sort and bypass them so I can work around their ‘ideas’ becuase none of them ever function in practice. Realist is the accurate term - have a look at the 2022/23 transfer dealings and manager merry go around and resulting bill, which still hobbles the club. Bloated squad with little quality is where spreadsheet jockeys take you. And recruitment was bad enough 2016-22 as well with Reed/Wilson/Semmens squandering loads. Gao was appalling as an owner but what they were given they wasted and let Ralph down.

Martin needs a decent centre forward for £25-30m, which he could have had between the potential fee on this dud from Brazil and Archer. At least Russell is getting one I suppose which is more than Ralph got, even if the reviews sound like Lyanco’s were from Torino.

Pay peanuts, and you know what you get….this will be with the Carrillo and TP debacles around £70m without signing on fees, wages and agent costs. If we did that in our workplaces….

Completely agree. Rasmus an egotistical bullshit artist who is taking Dragan for a ride. Shame as Dragan appears quite generous and willing to spend. 

Edited by benali-shorts
Typo
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Forester said:

You sound astonished that there is a gulf between Brighton and Saints’ pulling power.  Here are a few things that may help:

- we splashed millions on absolute dog shite signings two to three years ago, along with paying off poor managerial appointments

- we then got relegated, missing out on full Premier League money last year.  Meanwhile Brighton enjoyed European football

- Brighton have in the last few years sold Bassouma, Caciedo, Cucarella and Trossard for a total of £228 million.  That excludes fees for other players, it is just those four listed.  

So when you say “for whatever reason”, I hope this has helped to crack the puzzle!

I think absolute dog shite is harsh. I think one of the 3 failed. Onuachu was a topp scorer in Europe and funnily was still banging them in last season. Sulemana needs minutes and wasn't a wonder sub. Both struggled with tippy happy football. We possibly paid too much. But we were a relegation fated club. Without bidding high why else would they come.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Please stop this. We have signed several people this window that are not "kids on the cheap". In fact, for all SR's faults, doing things "on the cheap" isn't one of them. They've invested a ridiculous amount of money since taking over. They may be incompetent but they certainly are not stingy.

Don't get me wrong...signing promising junior players before their price becomes crazy is all good for the future. But unless we bring in a senior striker on loan (wages) or at the max FFP allows us this year, that future will definitely be the Championship for years to come.

• Like 1

Teams who give it a go and have pace and directness will do better than those who pass it from side to side, are content to have one shot in the game and are scared shitless of losing the ball so don’t try anything. I’m afraid this is us again this season. Can get away with it in the Championship. Not here. 

• Like 3

I think we all know what’s going on. Read all the above lots of recognition of issues verbalised in different ways. 
clearly our style of possession relies on skilled people that can control and pass without taking two or three touches. Slow because we can’t control and pass without taking second touch. 
club’s gamble is that this group of players will learn this and do this.

club still working within its budgets so buying players they believe can be sold on rather than make immediate effect. Volume over known quality. 

they know what we see and not going to change what they believe in because of course they know best.  we are not going to see this change.  Martin hates the booing and dissent from fans. Of course what do we know. 😂

for me I hate that what they believe we have to do is always different from convention and what everyone who is successful will do. Our promotion has given them the arrogance that they think is working. I guess we will see. I think we are well into the start of our second premier league nightmare. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Forester said:

You sound astonished that there is a gulf between Brighton and Saints’ pulling power.  Here are a few things that may help:

- we splashed millions on absolute dog shite signings two to three years ago, along with paying off poor managerial appointments

- we then got relegated, missing out on full Premier League money last year.  Meanwhile Brighton enjoyed European football

- Brighton have in the last few years sold Bassouma, Caciedo, Cucarella and Trossard for a total of £228 million.  That excludes fees for other players, it is just those four listed.  

So when you say “for whatever reason”, I hope this has helped to crack the puzzle!

Also didn't we sell 140m of players to other clubs jwp/lavia/tino

I get there's 80m gap and relegation to consider but we still got balloon payments. 

It just feels the gap has got bigger

5 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

Also didn't we sell 140m of players to other clubs jwp/lavia/tino

I get there's 80m gap and relegation to consider but we still got balloon payments. 

It just feels the gap has got bigger

You'd jump out of a plane using a balloon?

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If the advantages of shared scouting lead us to conclude this Brazilian, who their own fans seemingly do not want is the best option in the whole world for what we need right now then I don't think their scouts are up to much cop either

• Like 1