Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

This sounds exactly like the type of striker we would sign. Someone with potential who we can develop and who might be good next season after relegation. Basically not what we need for survival this year. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 2

I wonder why it's only Trabzonspor going for Onuachu this summer. Is it because he's 30?

After the 2015-16 season he has a good scoring record each year, barring his half a season with us. Last season he hit 15 goals in 21 league appearances in Turkey, which you would think would get a bit of attention on him.

But, the cheap skates from Turkey have been the only links all summer. You'd think another club would panic and sign him thinking they can play to his strengths, while we did not.

43 minutes ago, Chez said:

not massively impressed to be honest.

Agree, didn't impress me much either.  Given YouTube often makes players look better than they are then it doesn't bode well.  I guess if it's a loan and only an option rather than an obligation to buy then it's low risk financially but I don't see it solving any problems scoring goals. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He's a bit of a comedic figure in Brazilian football, known as the striker who doesn't score - so I can absolutley understand why we'd be after him.

He was highly regarded as a youngster, and we have been linked before, but his last 18 months in Brazil have been horrific and he doesn't have many fans over there. He may just need a change of scenery, but jurys out.

Worryingly, that going to rock a lot of boxes on our scouting reports.... ;)

2 hours ago, SaintTex said:

Brighton have signed 5 impact players that for whatever reason are simply not within our reach (€30m to €45m each)

Our 5 impact player signings are in the €8mil to €23m range. It's a huge gulf. (FFS, it's Brighton and it's a huge gulf - shaking my head)

We knew we would be behind the 8 ball this season. It's going to take coaching, strategy, luck, and spirit (and not talent) to stay up this season and it remains to be seen if we will have any of it.

You sound astonished that there is a gulf between Brighton and Saints’ pulling power.  Here are a few things that may help:

- we splashed millions on absolute dog shite signings two to three years ago, along with paying off poor managerial appointments

- we then got relegated, missing out on full Premier League money last year.  Meanwhile Brighton enjoyed European football

- Brighton have in the last few years sold Bassouma, Caciedo, Cucarella and Trossard for a total of £228 million.  That excludes fees for other players, it is just those four listed.  

So when you say “for whatever reason”, I hope this has helped to crack the puzzle!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why would Saints do that? If he is fit enough to play for a club on loan, he'd be fit enough to help Saints this season.

A player who's been out for the thick end of 2 years, who's never kicked a ball in the PL, cannot realistically be expected to make his comeback in the PL and he a success. If he has any sort of fitness, he needs to go somewhere else to get his form back, and we need someone else. 

• Like 3

This is a laugh for your bank holiday Monday viewing -

As I said, highly rated a few years ago - but fallen by the wayside quite a bit. Not sure what we've seen in him, because Corinthians have wanted rid for a little while.

• Haha 14

At least if we got jwp back we have someone with proven performance in the prem. 

Bijlow 

Suga 

Bednarek 

THB 

Kwp 

Downes 

JWP 

Fernandes 

Gives us more players I have some confidence can perform in the prem for a reasonable period of time. Still incredibly hard to stay up but would help us. I don't care if we have other worse players in positions he plays, I'd get him back for the prem experience alone. 

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

As I said, highly rated a few years ago - but fallen by the wayside quite a bit. Not sure what we've seen in him, because Corinthians have wanted rid for a little while.

That made me laugh 🙂 If we sign this clown the lunatics truly have taken over the asylum but he'll certainly get fans laughing rather than crying.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Jeez, that's horrific. Personally I'd still well clear.

I'm in the keep TP camp. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Apparently those were his best bits.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Trust saints to be interested in the only Brazilian with zero skill on the ball. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Unbelievable. 

There’s a clip on Youtube of Tall Paul losing his feet but nothing like that. 

If this is the best we can do then stick with Tall Paul

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Brazil's version of Mr Bean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Sign him up. This is the best highlights reel I've seen since the Danny Welbeck one.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Unbelievable. 

There’s a clip on Youtube of Tall Paul losing his feet but nothing like that. 

If this is the best we can do then stick with Tall Paul

He makes Tall Paul look like Ronaldo.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'm sure I could find similar videos featuring Ronaldo or Messi.

• Haha 3

He looks absolutely fucking awful 😂

What’s with Victor Hugo being part of the Alcaraz deal too?! We get a lesser fee to help out some Turkish outfit and the bloke will never step foot in Southampton? Who’s benefitting from this shit because it certainly isn’t us. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, LGTL said:

He looks absolutely fucking awful 😂

What’s with Victor Hugo being part of the Alcaraz deal too?! We get a lesser fee to help out some Turkish outfit and the bloke will never step foot in Southampton? Who’s benefitting from this shit because it certainly isn’t us. 

I don't think Hugo is part of the deal anymore, he is rated quite highly actually and is valued at the £15-20m mark. I think we were a bit cheeky hoping for some money and him. Couldn't agree a loan with obligation. (from what I've read).

Sounds like a straight £20m for Charly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billy the Kidd said:

There is another YouTube vid where he actually looks pretty decent to be fair.

If we get him can the fee be based on the funny clips. They'll have to pay us millions to take him off their hands.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think Hugo is part of the deal anymore, he is rated quite highly actually and is valued at the £15-20m mark. I think we were a bit cheeky hoping for some money and him. Couldn't agree a loan with obligation. (from what I've read).

Sounds like a straight £20m for Charly.

Is that so? Haven't seen anything other than the deal includes Hugo.

1 minute ago, saintant said:

If we get him can the fee be based on the funny clips. They'll have to pay us millions to take him off their hands.

Don't mock. 18m is the going rate for pitch invaders now.

• Haha 1

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Russell Martin has confirmed Rasmus Ankersen is involved with our transfers this summer, both incoming and outgoing.

Explains the interest in this Brazilian clown then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

That is showing his best bits, but also some pretty poor finishes in there. He does have ability as he was highly rated for a reason in the past, WHU tried for him a year or two ago (Although their record on signing strikers is naff to say the least) - but the last year/18 months have been tragic for him really, I see some Brazilian fans calling him the worst number 9 in the Brazilian Serie A. 

My feeling on this one is that we've gone on a punt based on what he was in the past, potential etc, in the hope that he can rediscover what made him spoken about a few years ago. He's a similar style to that of Jonathan Calleri if you remember him, Was at WHU for a season and flopped (and he's regarded as a better player than Alberto)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Russell Martin has confirmed Rasmus Ankersen is involved with our transfers this summer, both incoming and outgoing.

They could make Ross Wilson seem credible. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That explains a lot.

Took a back seat last season and for the most part our signings were very good.

Rasmus returns with his scattergun approach on a global scale. I can’t see anything going wrong with that.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Yep. It's why we are being all clever again and signing Carlos kickaballs from miles away. 

• Like 3

A striker and a goalkeeper have been an issue for a couple of years now, less than a week left and neither closer to being resolved.

The attacker piece is laughable because that suggests we’re going to do some attacking, which given our timid 5-5-0 formation at home at the weekend suggests otherwise.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That is showing his best bits, but also some pretty poor finishes in there. He does have ability as he was highly rated for a reason in the past, WHU tried for him a year or two ago (Although their record on signing strikers is naff to say the least) - but the last year/18 months have been tragic for him really, I see some Brazilian fans calling him the worst number 9 in the Brazilian Serie A. 

My feeling on this one is that we've gone on a punt based on what he was in the past, potential etc, in the hope that he can rediscover what made him spoken about a few years ago. He's a similar style to that of Jonathan Calleri if you remember him, Was at WHU for a season and flopped (and he's regarded as a better player than Alberto)

Let’s wait and see if it materialises. Hoping it’s just a wild rumour. 

• Like 1