Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Lots of ifs and buts due to injuries and not playing in a top European league before. But I think a fit and firing Ross Stewart could possibly be that player. That suggestion is heavily caveated on the injury front! 😁

I wouldn't base premiership survival on could, possibly and if.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I did say he only had 1 cap. Still makes him a senior Brazilian international player! 😉

I wasn't disputing that. Just adding additional info for my fellow forum chums :)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That would be preferable to passing it around in a U shape with Armstrong and Brereton Diaz hugging the touchline when we have the ball!

image.thumb.png.47bd862d8d3ae8b7842d56376f2b79cc.png

No one being ‘brave’ in the attacking third.  Do the players know what brave means? 🤔

Just now, Doctoroncall said:

No one being ‘brave’ in the attacking third.  Do the players know what brave means? 🤔

The tactic in the first half when in possession was for Brereton Diaz and Armstrong to hug the touchlines. Then for Walker-Peters (as an inverted fullback moving into CM), Smallbone, Aribo and Downes to make a box in midfield to outnumber Forest in central areas and to draw out their centre back. The issue was none of our players ever managed to get into any threatening areas centrally to cause an issues and we we just passing it around in a big U shape lacking an idea of how to create chances!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That would be preferable to passing it around in a U shape with Armstrong and Brereton Diaz hugging the touchline when we have the ball!

So, no actual attacking there then. Just a lot of pointless possession that eventually fizzles out.

• Like 1

Bit sad about Alcarez going. Someone who showed clear intent on going forward and making things happen, rather than just boringly keep possession without threat. I do hope that the signs that Russ doesn’t like such players and prefers just passing opponents to death will not perist. Or that the reason he hasn’t used some of the fringe players who show that kind of adventure isn’t in the same ballpark. Because if it is then I really can’t see how we will score goals. So will just be planning even now for making an attempt to regain promotion next season. 

Edited by DT
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The tactic in the first half when in possession was for Brereton Diaz and Armstrong to hug the touchlines. Then for Walker-Peters (as an inverted fullback moving into CM), Smallbone, Aribo and Downes to make a box in midfield to outnumber Forest in central areas and to draw out their centre back. The issue was none of our players ever managed to get into any threatening areas centrally to cause an issues and we we just passing it around in a big U shape lacking an idea of how to create chances!

Exactly so. 
As for “why” our allotted players did not get into attacking areas I suggest it was a combination of

1. Forest were very aggressive very fast and very progressive with and without the ball in that time. It should not have but I think that high intensity took Saints by surprise. And they/ RM felt prudent / safer not over committing in attack in the early part of the game. With our MF essentially much further away from the danger zones than envisaged and the two forwards super wide that U -shape comes as no surprise.

It could be called lack of bravery but I think that’s a disservice to the players. Forest essentially bullied us away from those areas very effectively using EPL nous. We ain’t got that yet nor the experience of playing vs that intensity and knowing how to counter it - yet. In the circumstances our essentially “ holding exercise” was the best of a bad situation. 

2. Having weathered the storm so to speak, and seemingly, eventually, appearing to be able to work out how to counter their tactics ( and formation) to in turn concede from a set piece was v disappointing -  as it appeared at the time that the game momentum was finally swinging in our favour. If we had got to last ten at 0-0 it would likely be them holding on for the draw..even so in the last quarter our players still seemed slow or reluctant or inhibited about attacking the penalty area ( except for Tyler). Even Sam E’s dribbling efforts seemed halfhearted. Perhaps still in shock the lot of them at how powerfully Forest played us off the park at start. Big lessons learned I trust and hope. 

Edited by gio1saints

Alcaraz too unpredictable for RM’s tactics. However, that unpredictability is exactly what this team looks devoid of and desperately needs.

Oh well, if it helps us survive this year through reinvestment then it’ll be a necessary sacrifice. God knows who we look at now though to do that.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Sounds like it was either poor coaching or players not understanding the coaching or players not good enough to implement the coaching - or a combination of all three. Whatever the truth it simply wasn't good enough.

4 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Exactly so. 
As for “why” our allotted players did not get into attacking areas I suggest it was a combination of

1. Forest were very aggressive very fast and very progressive with and without the ball in that time. It should not have but I think that high intensity took them by surprise. And they/ RM felt prudent / safer not over committing in attack in the early part of the game. With out mF essential much further away from the danger zones more often and the two forwards super wide that U -shape comes as no surprise. It could be called lack of bravery but I think that’s a disservice to the players. They essentially bullied us away from those areas very effectively using EPL nous. We ain’t got that yet nor the experience of playing vs that intensity and knowing how to counter it - yet. In the circumstances our essentially “ holding exercise” was the best of a bad situation. 

2. Having weathered the storm so to speak, and seemingly, eventually appearing to be able to work out how to counter their tactics ( and formation) to turn concede from set piece was v disappointing -  as it appeared at the time that the game momentum was finally swinging in our favour. We get to last ten at 0-0 it would likely be them holding on for the draw..even so in the last fifteen the players still seemed slow or reluctant or inhibited about attacking ( except for Tyler). Even Sam E’s efforts seemed halfhearted. Perhaps still in shock the lot of them at how powerfully Forest played us off the park at start. 

Forest were fucking shite, we were worse (somehow). We didn't lay a glove on them, but I'm not sure they "played us off the park". We just didn't do anything when we had the ball, which was most of the time.

If we're terrified of Forest's shadow under RM we may as well give up now. They don't have that much 'EPL nous' and they scraped 40 points last season (pre deduction).

Martin should have realised his tactics were getting us nowhere about 30 mins in. He let it go until they scored because he fancied a point, the exact thing he said he wouldn't do in this league.

• Like 2

The guy from Corinthians looks right up our street  

I spent too long going through google translate to see what the reaction of their fans is

This guy sums up most of it - he’s responding to the guy that’s reporting this deal  

https://x.com/tchavooo/status/1828096892523385071?s=46&t=hn-U2zuBXfVCGDsvNESPXA

to quote him…

“We have to accept that we will never recover the money that Corinthians spent on him, the best we can do now is send him away and try to sign a real center forward”

and this

https://x.com/nonoinvestidor/status/1828104711830172078?s=46&t=hn-U2zuBXfVCGDsvNESPXA

Southhampton scout arriving at NeoQuimica Arena”

#saintsysigning

Edited by Raging Bull

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

Sounds like it was either poor coaching or players not understanding the coaching or players not good enough to implement the coaching - or a combination of all three. Whatever the truth it simply wasn't good enough.

I think the players were doing as they were asked, the issue was what they were asked to do was destined for failure.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Exactly so. 

1. Forest were very aggressive very fast and very progressive with and without the ball in that time. It should not have but I think that high intensity took them by surprise. And they/ RM felt prudent / safer not over committing in attack in the early part of the game. With out mF essential much further away from the danger zones more often and the two forwards super wide that U -shape comes as no surprise. It could be called lack of bravery but I think that’s a disservice to the players. They essentially bullied us away from those areas very effectively using EPL nous. We ain’t got that yet nor the experience of playing vs that intensity and knowing how to counter it - yet. In the circumstances our essentially “ holding exercise” was the best of a bad situation. 

2. Having weathered the storm so to speak, and seemingly, eventually appearing to be able to work out how to counter their tactics ( and formation) to turn concede from set piece was v disappointing -  as it appeared at the time that the game momentum was finally swinging in our favour. We get to last ten at 0-0 it would likely be them holding on for the draw..even so in the last fifteen the players still seemed slow or reluctant or inhibited about attacking ( except for Tyler). Even Sam E’s efforts seemed halfhearted. Perhaps still in shock the lot of them at how powerfully Forest played us off the park at start. 

You make it sound like we weathered the storm to become the better side and then conceded to a mistake when actually Forest had all the shots/chances in the whole of the second half. Better to be realistic rather than to dress it up into something it wasn't.

• Like 1

I think it's the right decision to let Alcaraz leave. He has ability but doesn't fit our style of play and as I said at the end of last season, I'd sell anyone who was out on loan last season and try to recoup as much money as possible.

ABK, Onuachu to go permanently and Charles, Larios and Stewart to go on loan, with the possibility of Bree/Manning also going. KWP & Bednarek to either sign a contract or potentially leave. I think we need to tie them both down personally.

We're going to have a busy final week of the window!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Forest were fucking shite, we were worse (somehow). We didn't lay a glove on them, but I'm not sure they "played us off the park". We just didn't do anything when we had the ball, which was most of the time.

If we're terrified of Forest's shadow under RM we may as well give up now. They don't have that much 'EPL nous' and they scraped 40 points last season (pre deduction).

Martin should have realised his tactics were getting us nowhere about 30 mins in. He let it go until they scored because he fancied a point, the exact thing he said he wouldn't do in this league.

Did you see how many shots they had? 0-3 at halftime would not have been unfair. They were way better than most of the teams we played at home last season - by a margin. Maybe they still makes them fucki g shite but well it’s your opinion. 
Before the match I thought we’d win comfortably. I thought forest were relegation fodder. We did look better second half so not sure I subscribe to your theory. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It takes great bravery to be so conservative.

Oh, and scar tissue.

Edited by Suhari

23 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Alcaraz too unpredictable for RM’s tactics. However, that unpredictability is exactly what this team looks devoid of and desperately needs.

Oh well, if it helps us survive this year through reinvestment then it’ll be a necessary sacrifice. God knows who we look at now though to do that.

Tyler. 

9 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Did you see how many shots they had? 0-3 at halftime would not have been unfair. They were way better than most of the teams we played at home last season - by a margin. Maybe they still makes them fucki g shite but well it’s your opinion. 
Before the match I thought we’d win comfortably. I thought forest were relegation fodder. We did look better second half so not sure I subscribe to your theory. 

That's exactly my point. Playing like that against a decent side would have seen us absolutely spanked. Martin changed nothing until they scored because he wanted a point.

7 minutes ago, saintant said:

So it's on RM and the coaches then.

Well, yes. Other teams playing a similar style, draw the opponents onto them, and then attack with pace. We do the opposite, we pass pass pass, and allow our opponents to get back and reorganise, thus making it hard to penetrate. This style of football is soul destroying, and it matters not how good the players are, if they are coached to keep re-cycling the ball backwards.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I have it on good authority that we've put a bid in for Kalimuendo. 

On FM. I'm buying him for Saints on FM. 

Any news on Bijlow? Must be close...

He's agreed a contract so all I need to do is load the game and progress one day and he'll be announced.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

The guy from Corinthians looks right up our street  

I spent too long going through google translate to see what the reaction of their fans is

This guy sums up most of it - he’s responding to the guy that’s reporting this deal  

https://x.com/tchavooo/status/1828096892523385071?s=46&t=hn-U2zuBXfVCGDsvNESPXA

to quote him…

“We have to accept that we will never recover the money that Corinthians spent on him, the best we can do now is send him away and try to sign a real center forward”

and this

https://x.com/nonoinvestidor/status/1828104711830172078?s=46&t=hn-U2zuBXfVCGDsvNESPXA

Southhampton scout arriving at NeoQuimica Arena”

#saintsysigning

Isn't that rather concerning or have I misinterpreted it.

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

Isn't that rather concerning or have I misinterpreted it.

He's a bit of a comedic figure in Brazilian football, known as the striker who doesn't score - so I can absolutley understand why we'd be after him.

He was highly regarded as a youngster, and we have been linked before, but his last 18 months in Brazil have been horrific and he doesn't have many fans over there. He may just need a change of scenery, but jurys out.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He's a bit of a comedic figure in Brazilian football, known as the striker who doesn't score - so I can absolutley understand why we'd be after him.

He was highly regarded as a youngster, and we have been linked before, but his last 18 months in Brazil have been horrific and he doesn't have many fans over there. He may just need a change of scenery, but jurys out.

Oh dear. Hopefully this one can be filed in the list of rumours that never happened.

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Carillo vibes. All of a sudden Delap looks very much like the one rhat got away. Wonder how many there have been in between those two on our 'list'?

Personally I think the bigger need is someone to actually create chances.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Oh dear. 

But he's certainly found the right club.

Carillo Mk II. 

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Carillo vibes. All of a sudden Delap looks very much like the one rhat got away. Wonder how many there have been in between those two on our 'list'?

Personally I think the bigger need is someone to actually create chances.

Yes, but for who ?