Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

3 minutes ago, Orkney Saint said:

Sargent scored 16 goals in 28 games (26 starts) last season in a team that finished outside the playoffs. I don’t think that’s too bad. He’s over 6ft tall, has decent pace, and can play up front or as an attacking midfielder.
Are we in a position to be stockpiling/signing anything other than Champ players?

Sargent has definitely developed. Norwich aren't great at providing service to their forwards, with occasional boosts from the likes of Buendia, Hernandez and a fit Rowe. So, they have to make the best from what they get. When he arrived and had to work off scraps, I wasn't convinced. He's improved, and would fill a few of the Adams' shaped gaps in the team.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Based on FM stats.

His FM stats are based on people who have watched him play over multiple years. 

Not only did over 12 million people play the game last year, but multiple professional clubs have used the game's database as a scouting tool.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

His FM stats are based on people who have watched him play over multiple years. 

Not only did over 12 million people play the game last year, but multiple professional clubs have used the game's database as a scouting tool.

Of those 12million people, how many signed Bijlow when playing as a Premier League club? 

Check. Mate. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Of those 12million people, how many signed Bijlow when playing as a Premier League club? 

Check. Mate. 

I don't have access to that data. But given his CA rating, quite a few probably did.

He will be our highest rated player as things stand on FM25.

22 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

His FM stats are based on people who have watched him play over multiple years

Is that people like you?  I still remember you talking up Jankewitz (he played for the Swiss U21s, he'll be fine as midfield cover!) and Valery. 

JWP - surely its a non starter unless WH were able to subsidise a loan which they very likely will not?

Also whilst he would clearly help its not really the area of the pitch that we are short in - with recent additions its probably where we have the most depth.

Nice story but extremely unlikely.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

You bloody well did.  I remember it very clearly although I can see why you would want to forget it.

Lying Season 4 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

You have either taken what I said completely out of context, misunderstood it or have seen something someone else said and confused it for me.

Plus even if I did say something about two players and got them wrong... so what? I have been the Southampton Football Manager researcher for 17 years and rated hundreds and hundreds of players, of course I'd get a few wrong. 

Edited by Matthew Le God

10 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

You have either taken what I said completely out of context, misunderstood it or have seen something someone else said and confused it for me.

Plus even if I did say something about two players and got them wrong... so what? I have been the Southampton Football Manager researcher for 17 years and rated hundreds and hundreds of players, of course I'd get a few wrong

Now you're just trying to manifest the picture appearing...

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

A midfield of Downes, lesley, jwp and Fernandes is much better than we had against forest. 

It certainly is, but appears to lack the creativity to keep us up. Plus big Les and tiny Mateus both have loads of potential, but unclear how good they will be in a full year in the Premier league playing our system. JWP would be a decent acquisition, but sadly if the choice is a physical centre forward and a creative midfielder/winger then JWP would only be 3rd on the list of priorities. 

17 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Mentioned Ferguson on loan a little while ago as a bit of a pipe dream. If it's actually an option we have to be all over it.

Would assume it'd be a preferable move for Brighton as well due to the similarity in playstyles.

Have seen zero similarity between us and how Brighton play their high energy, fast brand of attacking football. If only we could muster 20% of their verve and swagger!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

We have to something - stats at weekend for first home game of season against an average side were pretty damning: 65% possession (mostly backwards) for ONE shot on goal (out of 5 in total) while Forest had 23!!!!!!!!!!

Embarrassing shot on goal stats. We definetly have to do something.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Now you're just trying to manifest the picture appearing...

Never claimed to be infallible. 17 years of FM data isn't going to come without getting a few players wrong. The vast majority have been right.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

We can firmly put this one to bed now. We were never in the running once the fee went above £15m.

Brighton could end up being this seasons Villa. Them and Fulham have made some excellent signings. 

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

Have seen zero similarity between us and how Brighton play their high energy, fast brand of attacking football. If only we could muster 20% of their verve and swagger!

Haha fair enough, not wrong when you put it that way.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Going to have to be a formation change. Might make us concede more but if we don’t start scoring that won’t matter. 

I don't disagree.

Something between a 4-3-3 and  a 3-5-2 

4-2-3-1 or 4 - 4 - 2 ?

Hopefully RM is open for discussions on our formation.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Plus even if I did say something about two players and got them wrong... so what? I have been the Southampton Football Manager researcher for 17 years and rated hundreds and hundreds of players, of course I'd get a few wrong. 

You said "For the 'number 6' role? Ward-Prowse, Romeu, Diallo and Jankewitz is fine for depth there."

Pretty clear cut I would say, and shows your judgement is, well, a bit shit.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

You said "For the 'number 6' role? Ward-Prowse, Romeu, Diallo and Jankewitz is fine for depth there."

Like I said... you've misunderstood and taken out of context!

3 senior players for one role, plus a 4th player that is potentially promising youngster is good depth. That is not me saying Jankewitz is the next Kante or that he is ready to start games. 

Plus I've never claimed to be infallible. 17 years of FM data isn't going to come without getting a few players wrong. The vast majority have been right.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Tbf I think you’re taking this a bit out of context. 2 established players. Plus a reserve plus a (highly regarded - (at the time)) youngster is fine depth to play 1 role. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

What's the predictions then for what other business gets done by the end of the window with the keeper basically confirmed? 

I reckon kwp stays, ABK out on loan. Onuachu out for 5 million with addons and Alcaraz going too. Possibility that Bree or manning go if kwp is staying. To my mind we have to get a striker in to provide a focal point up front but I don't think we will. Instead I think we will buy one attacking player who could play accross the front line that's probably our Alcaraz replacement. I think we could see a winger on loan and probably another lb if I'm wrong and KWP does leave. Given that we didn't sign Jack clarke and Martin said we weren't going for that type of player I reckon the winger we go for could be on the RW. 

So that's two more players in addition to the keeper and another lb if kwp goes. Personally I don't think that will be sufficient to give us enough in attack but you never know. 

Edited by hypochondriac

23 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Brighton could end up being this seasons Villa. Them and Fulham have made some excellent signings. 

Brighton have signed 5 impact players that for whatever reason are simply not within our reach (€30m to €45m each)

Our 5 impact player signings are in the €8mil to €23m range. It's a huge gulf. (FFS, it's Brighton and it's a huge gulf - shaking my head)

We knew we would be behind the 8 ball this season. It's going to take coaching, strategy, luck, and spirit (and not talent) to stay up this season and it remains to be seen if we will have any of it.

• Like 2

Southampton target Kevin Zefi spotted at Saints training

Martin’s side look likely to add Irish 19-year-old talent Kevin Zefi from Roma to their side ahead of the transfer window slamming shut, per FC Inter News.

There is reportedly ‘little space’ for the youngster at his current club, and as a result a move looks more likely to be sanctioned, however it is still yet to be reported whether it will be a permanent or loan switch.

Another kid on the cheap but not a proven senior goal scoring forward.

6 minutes ago, Bakovnetski said:

Southampton target Kevin Zefi spotted at Saints training

Martin’s side look likely to add Irish 19-year-old talent Kevin Zefi from Roma to their side ahead of the transfer window slamming shut, per FC Inter News.

There is reportedly ‘little space’ for the youngster at his current club, and as a result a move looks more likely to be sanctioned, however it is still yet to be reported whether it will be a permanent or loan switch.

Another kid on the cheap but not a proven senior goal scoring forward.

Please stop this. We have signed several people this window that are not "kids on the cheap". In fact, for all SR's faults, doing things "on the cheap" isn't one of them. They've invested a ridiculous amount of money since taking over. They may be incompetent but they certainly are not stingy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

That is arguably a worse combination than being competent and stingy... ;)

You're right but this silly myth that we do things "on the cheap" is just lazy. It clearly isn't true.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, imadirtyurchin said:

Tbf I think you’re taking this a bit out of context. 2 established players. Plus a reserve plus a (highly regarded - (at the time)) youngster is fine depth to play 1 role. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Worth remembering at that point that was our midfield for both central positions, not just the "6", and we were expecting to go through the entire season with that.  Diallo was shit, Jankewitz thankfully left shortly afterwards for a stellar career in Switzerland.

38 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What's the predictions then for what other business gets done by the end of the window with the keeper basically confirmed? 

I reckon kwp stays, ABK out on loan. Onuachu out for 5 million with addons and Alcaraz going too. Possibility that Bree or manning go if kwp is staying. To my mind we have to get a striker in to provide a focal point up front but I don't think we will. Instead I think we will buy one attacking player who could play accross the front line that's probably our Alcaraz replacement. I think we could see a winger on loan and probably another lb if I'm wrong and KWP does leave. Given that we didn't sign Jack clarke and Martin said we weren't going for that type of player I reckon the winger we go for could be on the RW. 

So that's two more players in addition to the keeper and another lb if kwp goes. Personally I don't think that will be sufficient to give us enough in attack but you never know. 

You may be right but this seems a pointless signing if it happens - don't we have Archer who could play across the front line? What we are in desperate need of, and it's been an ongoing dereliction of duty from our owners, is a powerful goal-scoring centre forward with pace who can put the fear of God up opposition defences.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, saintant said:

You may be right but this seems a pointless signing if it happens - don't we have Archer who could play across the front line? What we are in desperate need of, and it's been an ongoing dereliction of duty from our owners, is a powerful goal-scoring centre forward with pace who can put the fear of God up opposition defences.

Christ, have you got £100m handy? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Prediction for the next week:

ABK out on loan. Onuachu out for £7m. No further leavers.

Can’t imagine there’s going to be much excitement in terms of incomings, maybe the odd kid with “potential”.

I'd be surprised if Alcaraz and Charles don't go. I also wouldn't rule out Bella-Kotchap going on a transfer rather than a loan.

As well as Bijlow, Martin has also said he wants another attacking recruit. From his wording it suggests not just one for the future, but someone that can help straight away.

• Like 1

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

I'd be surprised if Alcaraz and Charles don't go. I also wouldn't rule out Bella-Kotchap going on a transfer rather than a loan.

As well as Bijlow, Martin has also said he wants another attacking recruit. From his wording it suggests not just one for the future, but someone that can help straight away.

Does this mean we are going to actually do some attacking?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, saintant said:

nutshell_115700821 (2).jpg

8 minutes ago, saintant said:

What we are in desperate need of, and it's been an ongoing dereliction of duty from our owners, is a powerful goal-scoring centre forward with pace who can put the fear of God up opposition defences.

Lots of ifs and buts due to injuries and not playing in a top European league before. But I think a fit and firing Ross Stewart could possibly be that player. That suggestion is heavily caveated on the injury front! 😁