Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

26 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Some WON’T make the grade and we can all point at who we think - but at this point I’m sanguine that our recruitment sees those possible issues and the right calls will be made. 

It’s our recruitment that has got us into this mess to begin with (relegation, unable to compete with Brighton, Brentford, AFCB) in the first place. Not sure I’d want to pin my hopes on that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, saintant said:

Wouldn't mind us trying to get Jens Petter Hauge who is a very good left sided Norwegian striker. Would probably be complicated though as he is registered with Eintracht Frankfurt and currently on loan to K Bodo/Glimt who have an option to buy. He's 24 and has bags of skill and scores goals and makes assists. If we played him on the left of a three up front BBD could move to centre forward. 

Does BBD want to play a more central role though, and did he at Blackburn ? 

I wish people would stop referring to O’Riley like he’d have chosen us over Atalanta and Brighton. I’m sure Martin would have combined the budget for 2 players to get his top choice, but sadly we can’t compete with a team chasing top 6 football right now. The mindset that we could have chosen to have him is unrealistic IMO.

Has Moukoko gone or been strongly linked to anywhere yet? One we were linked with who might fall into the category of becoming available to teams like us late on in the window?

Archer does seem too similar in attributes to what we had already but I do think he has great potential. Hopefully we see him realise that at Saints. Hard to judge him on a couple of cameos off the bench so far.

It’s interesting that some players can look immediately effective and although Fernandes didn’t have too many touches on Saturday, I thought he just seemed classy when he did, got a good feeling about him. Dibling also standing out like he did is very encouraging.

Bijlow decision probably means wolves get Ramsdale, which is a shame as they look a team we could be fighting with to avoid relegation. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I wish people would stop referring to O’Riley like he’d have chosen us over Atalanta and Brighton. I’m sure Martin would have combined the budget for 2 players to get his top choice, but sadly we can’t compete with a team chasing top 6 football right now. The mindset that we could have chosen to have him is unrealistic IMO.

Has Moukoko gone or been strongly linked to anywhere yet? One we were linked with who might fall into the category of becoming available to teams like us late on in the window?

Archer does seem too similar in attributes to what we had already but I do think he has great potential. Hopefully we see him realise that at Saints. Hard to judge him on a couple of cameos off the bench so far.

It’s interesting that some players can look immediately effective and although Fernandes didn’t have too many touches on Saturday, I thought he just seemed classy when he did, got a good feeling about him. Dibling also standing out like he did is very encouraging.

Bijlow decision probably means wolves get Ramsdale, which is a shame as they look a team we could be fighting with to avoid relegation. 

Archer is already being set up to be the latest young player that we'll all write off at the end of the season despite only actually having a handful of starts weeks apart at a time and cameo sub appearances in between. 

You spend money bringing a player in, you give them 5-10 starts in a row to see what they can do. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

I just don’t see that Archer is what we need at all tbh. Seems like a weird signing.  

We don’t play with a style that plays through balls through to a fast poacher. We never have.

We need a target man that can hold it up and bring others into play. Very evident that we have no focal point currently. 

Exactly. Is this the third summer in a row we’ve failed to address this problem? 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

I just don’t see that Archer is what we need at all tbh. Seems like a weird signing.  

We don’t play with a style that plays through balls through to a fast poacher. We never have.

We need a target man that can hold it up and bring others into play. Very evident that we have no focal point currently. 

Irony is that the players we do have that aren't being utilised at the moment, Sulemana, Alcaraz, Onuachu, Archer, would probably thrive in a system of direct running, passing, getting the ball down the wings and cutting it back/crossing it in. Even Smallbone would look better if he was picking up scraps on the edge of the box instead of having to look sideways for a pass all the time.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Badger said:

Agree with all you say, but when you talk of “dangerous areas” it’s pointless as this area is largely a big void, we’ve no one there to receive or react to it. Same for much of last season.

Need a CF, not another shortarse there 

Agree- but I also think that the MF are actually meant to attack those “ dangerous” areas more than they currently do. And hence why, possibly, we look toothless to date. IF they were busting a gut to get into the box - or had more know how about timing runs a conventional CF would not be such an obvious requirement. There was no “ false #9” that I could discern on Saturday which points to an over defensively cautious set up at home in a match we all expected attacking! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Irony is that the players we do have that aren't being utilised at the moment, Sulemana, Alcaraz, Onuachu, Archer, would probably thrive in a system of direct running, passing, getting the ball down the wings and cutting it back/crossing it in. Even Smallbone would look better if he was picking up scraps on the edge of the box instead of having to look sideways for a pass all the time.

This. The players that drive a game and push us forward individually, offer something different, and often increase the noise are the ones on the periphery. That's in part because to have those skills, they aren't the something-of-everything players better suited for Martin's system. It's early for Archer, but others don't look as though they will fit.

All managers have their preferred players and targets. This was the same last season. With the same players mostly too. SR are backing Martin, who is focused on his plan-a only system. The risk is that if it doesn't work, we'll have moved on a lot of players that could have changed our approach.

It worked out last season. And there's an argument for any funds being used to improve Martin's line up.

Dibling has replaced Alcaraz, it seems. He could be the only one left offered a direct role, until it's trained out of him. It's just not part of Martin's possession based game management. Structured passing is preferred to individual runs to reduce risk.

We went down with a number of narrow defeats and managers saying how close we were to it clicking. Martin's first 2 games were built on a similar approach.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, derry said:

There is no point judging the strikers. Firstly, separating them is stupidity as they can't even support each other and are easily dealt with. Secondly, we need at least two midfielders rapidly getting forward. Thirdly, the formation is ultra defensive and the ponderous possession obsession allows the opposition to snuff out our lightweight attacks. The three centre backs got us promoted but now against better teams we can't score which wasn't a problem in the Championship. 

I think the tactics have to change. Win the ball and pass it forward immediately and two of the midfield get up quickly and become attackers. 4-3-3 could give us Sugawara, THB Bednarek, KWP/Taylor, Ugochukwu, Downes, Fernandez, Armstrong BBD Archer.  We have to win some matches, Smallbone and Aribo are negative especially Smallbone's wall passing, mostly backwards. If we want to have slick passing do it in the opponents final third.

Dibling should be used as the first attacking change, certainly not Edozie. Keep Alcaraz but that ship may have sailed. It's a shame about Fraser as he is a good footballer that hits good crosses into dangerous areas.

Dude, that is about the most sense I’ve heard on here for some considerable time. Hopefully RM s having similar thoughts. 

• Like 3

I imagine this may have already been said previously (is there a search function on here?), but I would like to see us sign Josh Sargent from Norwich. He’s got a decent scoring record in the Championship, has some experience of the Premier League, and can play up front or out wide. I’d hoped we would’ve made a move for him when we were relegated. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Unfortunately the only way you’ll see that style of play is with a manager change and that’ll only happy when we’re cut adrift at the bottom of the league.. I’d rather we play sulemana just for his directness and actually having the ability to beat a player and actually disrupt an opposition defence.. issue is he hasn’t shown anymore than that.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Wonder if we can get Prowsey back on a season long loan.

It makes so much sense.. with an obligation to buy.

I get all the reasons for leaving last year. 

He is better than anything we have in midfield (obviously way too early on Fernandes). 

Please get this done

• Like 1

Let's be honest there's no point in signing more of the same players. To me it was painfully obvious on Saturday that as a system with average players it's just not going to cut it in the Premier League. At times we made forest look like Real Madrid, so I don't really want to think about what an on form City or Arsenal will do to us.

In my opinion we need flair, imagination and creativity in both our team and system If we are to even compete let alone win. On Saturday's showing we appear to have none of that.

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jaime said:

It makes so much sense.. with an obligation to buy.

I get all the reasons for leaving last year. 

He is better than anything we have in midfield (obviously way too early on Fernandes). 

Please get this done

Absolutely this.. we lack premier league experience.. SFC need to get this done.. downes and JWP would be a decent partnership 

Edited by madge
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Orkney Saint said:

I imagine this may have already been said previously (is there a search function on here?), but I would like to see us sign Josh Sargent from Norwich. He’s got a decent scoring record in the Championship, has some experience of the Premier League, and can play up front or out wide. I’d hoped we would’ve made a move for him when we were relegated. 

Yes, I've been thinking that he should be on the list too.. with Haji Wright, Chris Wood, Nketia... may be Piroe too

Edited by Jaime
Added player

ABK news - unfortunately the other German team to have agreed person terms (Stuttgart) are instead signing Al-Dakhil from Burnley so looks at this stage like he will be back with us for the time being.

Wonder what impact us not getting the £10m from his expected sale has/will have?

Wonder if there is any scenario where he stays (perhaps could loan Edwards out for regular Championship games) or whether its so broken that we would just loan him out for nothing to have him away? Suspect the latter, frustrating as he does (did?) have some great attributes - especially 1vs 1 - that none of our other CBs do.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

Just wanted to share this player insight we recorded yesterday on Justin Bijlow

Yesterday afternoon, Martin Sanders teamed up with freelance Dutch football journalist Joe Baker to bring you an in-depth look at our incoming goalkeeper. We asked the crucial questions, delved into his background, and explored how he might fit into Russell Martin's team. A must-watch for anyone wanting to understand the new addition to our squad.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, TotalSaintsPod said:

Yesterday afternoon, Martin Sanders teamed up with freelance Dutch football journalist Joe Baker to bring you an in-depth look at our incoming goalkeeper. We asked the crucial questions, delved into his background, and explored how he might fit into Russell Martin's team. A must-watch for anyone wanting to understand the new addition to our squad.

I watched this yesterday evening. A great watch, thanks TSP and Martin Sanders 😊

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Don't they want £60m+ for him? 

Doubt they'll sanction a loan deal, but these are the days the random loan opportunities popup - I'm sure we've got our feelers across loads of unexpected options.

29 minutes ago, TotalSaintsPod said:

Enjoyed watching this so many thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Don't they want £60m+ for him? 

Doubt they'll sanction a loan deal, but these are the days the random loan opportunities popup - I'm sure we've got our feelers across loads of unexpected options.

According to the article, Brentford was to loan 

1 hour ago, Orkney Saint said:

He's a worse player than Armstrong and Diaz. No point stockpiling Champ players. 

• Like 2

If any deal demonstrates the shift of transfer values, this deal probably does. 5 or 6 years ago this is a £5m player tops.

Dara O'Shea has gone to Ipswich for £15m. That's the level your £15m player cap realistically gets you nowadays, the £25-30m mark is where your Mane's/Tadic's/VVD's/Waynamas now live in this day and age.

If we are still stuck operating in and around that £15m cap, then we have to aim for players who are running down their contract and have injuries - that's where the value comes in.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Badger said:

I think BBD might match Adams goal contribution over a season, but perhaps offers less in hold up play.

Archer wasn’t a cheap option though. Wasn’t it £15m ? That’s a Jack Clarke there (without add ons of course).

By comparison Miovski  was £4.5m (rising to £6m). 

Or look at it another way, BBD and Archer were a significant proportion of O’Riley, if we really wanted him. 

O'Riley wasn't ever going to happen. We touted the idea but it on bought the attention of the bigger league teams. I just hop he turns out to be rubbish now he has gone elsewhere 

3 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Tall paul is a massive target at 6ft 8. He just needs playing. Imagine early crosses from fraser and him in the box I see goals galore. Some tweeks to russball maybe 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

Tall paul is a massive target at 6ft 8. He just needs playing. Imagine early crosses from fraser and him in the box I see goals galore. Some tweeks to russball maybe 

It’s all making sense now..

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Does everyone rate ramsdale so high as he is in eyesight. Everything says bijlow is the better player and if he didn't have the injury ? He would be playing for United or arsenal and not on their bench

• Like 3

You’ve got to trust the Saints backroom staff and scouting network if they’re going for Bijlow. Surely he will pass a medical but, on paper, you’d be worried about a goalkeeper who’s suffered a broken wrist previously. 

As for the JWP link, I don’t believe it at all.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

ABK news - unfortunately the other German team to have agreed person terms (Stuttgart) are instead signing Al-Dakhil from Burnley so looks at this stage like he will be back with us for the time being.

Wonder what impact us not getting the £10m from his expected sale has/will have?

Wonder if there is any scenario where he stays (perhaps could loan Edwards out for regular Championship games) or whether its so broken that we would just loan him out for nothing to have him away? Suspect the latter, frustrating as he does (did?) have some great attributes - especially 1vs 1 - that none of our other CBs do.

I hear ABK has a terrible attitude to playing for us and is being kept away from the squad???

1 minute ago, 6ft8saint said:

Does everyone rate ramsdale so high as he is in eyesight. Everything says bijlow is the better player and if he didn't have the injury ? He would be playing for United or arsenal and not on their bench

I like Ramsdale as I think you get a ready made English/PL goalkeeper, knows the league, is a bit of a shithouse etc. So those were massive positives with him.

Onto the negatives.....the loan fee to start with is as much as a permanent transfer, then the obligation to buy would have been in excess of what we were comfortable with (£30-40m). When you factor those finances and the long-term commitment required, and you look at his attributes and actually realise he's not amazing with the ball at his feet, you question if he's worth that level of investment longer term.

Bjlow is a player not many fans will know about, but he was on course to be one of the elite goalkeepers in Europe and the Dutch number 1 before his injury problems. If we start with the negatives on this deal, it would be the injuries - major red flag as they are recurring in some instances, he's missed a lot of games in the last couple of years. But if i'm honest, the injuries are the only negative I can see with it.

But on the positives, if you wanted to create the perfect modern sweeper keeper, you'd put a lot of Bijlow's attributes into the pot. We wouldn't have even been in the conversation for him had he not had any injury issues, so whist it's a negative, it's also a positive that's enabled a deal for a player who is light years ahead of what we've had in goal since peak Forster/Boruc. The structure of the deal (if true) makes sense as it protects us should he struggle again this year.

One of my major asks for this summer was for the club to think about replacing Bazunu, not just filling him in with a stop gap, and this guy with his fitness issues behind him will replace him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saint NL said:

Would much prefer Ferguson in to JWP. Clearly we have a need for a striker but I see no need in bringing James back. We have brought in Big Les for this holding role, and Fernandes for the attacking one. Sentiment is great, and we all like James, but he isn’t what we need now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TotalSaintsPod said:

Thanks for posting, that’s a good insight. 

But however it’s dressed up there’s no getting away from the injury risks hanging over this deal. Even with the twenty games before we’re obliged to buy, we could still end up with McCarthy and Lumley for large parts of the season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gio1saints said:

NB : also relevant that our most dangerous moment Saturday came from a new player( Charlie Taylor who presumably does not know yet that we don’t usually do crosses)  doing the unthinkable- crossing the ball across the six yard box - but there was no one there! 

Um.. the other Sunday I put two weaker foot crosses into the box: both times I glanced up to see if it was worthwhile..

But we are so pedestrian, as has been pointed out by so many on here. It won't work in the Premiership, where we need more ambition, quicker thinking and not allowing the opponents time to reset. The defenders are, by and large, stronger, quicker, cannier and we need imagination and the unexpected to score. At the moment we show no signs of doing so, a few on target shots would help as would people getting somewhere near the opponents goal; the gaping gaps in the final third are embarassing.

1 hour ago, benjii said:

He's a worse player than Armstrong and Diaz. No point stockpiling Champ players. 

Sargent scored 16 goals in 28 games (26 starts) last season in a team that finished outside the playoffs. I don’t think that’s too bad. He’s over 6ft tall, has decent pace, and can play up front or as an attacking midfielder.
Are we in a position to be stockpiling/signing anything other than Champ players?