Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Love to be proved wrong but we’re not signing Ramsdale.

He’ll have plenty of better options, such as Newcastle. We should be aiming for Pope if at all possible once that happens.

Hell I said it last summer... I'd take Dubravka for year or two for experience sake.

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Big fear in the PL - do you expect us to get battered every week ? so he might fit in

Bet he gets into a few scraps...

Posted (edited)

Ramsden would be a brilliant signing, I bet he'd Saveloy-t of goals going in.

Ok that was so awful I'm banning myself from Saintsweb for 24 hours. 

Edited by SNSUN

30 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

For those worried about THB, I think the finances complete on July 1st. It’s locked in but that’s when it happens…

Must be why they are holding back the tweet then. Just hope we don’t lose him to Ipswich 

• Sad 1

Just now, manji said:

Sorry but I’ve been proven wrong by this season and so has the cot.

Quick FACT check

the CoT has a 100% record in the last two transfer windows. The ones proven wrong are those who doubt us

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Quick FACT check

the CoT has a 100% record in the last two transfer windows. The ones proven wrong are those who doubt us

Oh just looked at your list of fact checked they are all vague . Like a horoscope read into it what you will. Hell I avoided mentioning cot all season. I’m getting sucked into a load of nonsense.FWIW we’ve both been on the forum for years. I suspect we have a lot in common . We’ve even , sort of , worked together on this forum with some of the wind ups but the cot of trust is nonsense.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, manji said:

Oh just looked at your list of fact checked they are all vague . Like a horoscope read into it what you will. Hell I avoided mentioning cot all season. I’m getting sucked into a load of nonsense.FWIW we’ve both been on the forum for years. I suspect we have a lot in common . We’ve even , sort of , worked together on this forum with some of the wind ups but the cot of trust is nonsense.

One of the non believers. We don’t do this for ourselves you know. Those in the CoT have been given a privilege which we guard with vigour 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Turkish said:

One of the non believers. We don’t do this for ourselves you know. Those in the CoT have been given a privilege which we guard with vigour 

So what’s the point? 
You’re like children in a playground. 
I know something that you don’t. Ner ner ne ner ner!!

I would be very concerned if anyone inside the club was letting out little snippets during the transfer window. 
Popularity wannabes

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matty's Caddy said:

So what’s the point? 
You’re like children in a playground. 
I know something that you don’t. Ner ner ne ner ner!!

I would be very concerned if anyone inside the club was letting out little snippets during the transfer window. 
Popularity wannabes

You do realise you’re talking to someone who has previously had over 25 laugh emoji reactions to a post? I don’t need to do this for popularity 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Yeah but he was hagrid in our end. It's nailed on. 

Not since (someone thinking) Rupert Lowe was spotted driving down the Aston Expressway on a Sunday evening has a transfer been so clearly in the making. *

* and for the younger readers that didn’t happen either. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, kjurwi said:

An THB stays a Saint post on the official site would be nice, nervous we'll do an Alderweireld thing and lose him.

It was an obligation transfer based on a set condition, which was promotion. Toby's loan signing was with an option. As soon as promotion was confirmed the automatic obligation was activated, which lead to us paying man city £20m and getting him to sign the contract he'd have agreed at the initial loan last summer.

The loan signing announcement at the start of the season confirmed all the details. Not sure the club need to tell us anything, it's all out there to see already.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Arsenal priorities in loaning out Ramsdale - 

1: Club who won’t be competing for position even based on a worst case Arsenal and best case other team season

2: Team that like to play it out from the goalkeeper so if player returns to club, they have gained relevant experience 

3: Due to loan rules meaning Ramsdale will not be able to play against parent club, the second choice goalkeeper giving the best opportunity of gaining maximum points

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/24347159.taylor-harwood-bellis-delighted-stay-southampton-promotion/

From the article:

'Harwood-Bellis, now a Saints player, has loved his time playing under boss Russell Martin and is "buzzing" to stay at the club.

Speaking to the Daily Echo about the win and his future, he said: "I can't describe it. I can't put it into words.

"Just to know that I am going to be back next season, the deal was already signed, I can't believe it. I am so happy."'

But can we be sure it won't be another Alderweireld?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You do realise you’re talking to someone who has previously had over 25 laugh emoji reactions to a post? I don’t need to do this for popularity 

How long did it take you to set up those 25 other accounts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ramsdale’s thoughts:

1: Football is really boring unless you’re a goalkeeper facing loads of shots and saving most of them to show you are quality/why keeper is the most important player on the pitch

2: I’m pretty sure I could be that quality striker they’re all hoping for but for some weird reason my ability hasn’t been noticed yet

3: I’d like to think up some funny stuff I could do if I sign for a club and we draw their rival in the cup

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

How long did it take you to set up those 25 other accounts?

Not as long as him trying to link one his random clues to an actual signing, that must take fucking hours, not that they make sense even when he tries to justify the clues to the player 🥱

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whelk said:

Must be why they are holding back the tweet then. Just hope we don’t lose him to Ipswich 

He’s ours for £20m on 1st July. If we then decide to sell him to Ipswich for five quid, we can, I guess.

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

It was an obligation transfer based on a set condition, which was promotion. Toby's loan signing was with an option. As soon as promotion was confirmed the automatic obligation was activated, which lead to us paying man city £20m and getting him to sign the contract he'd have agreed at the initial loan last summer.

The loan signing announcement at the start of the season confirmed all the details. Not sure the club need to tell us anything, it's all out there to see already.

Correct. We had an obligation to buy on promotion with a set fee. With Alderweield we have an option to buy with a set fee but Athletico paid us out of that agreement as they knew they could double their money and they did,  with bigger clubs sniffing around. Remember the lame claims we were going to sue them until we realised we didn’t have a leg to stand on. 

8 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

He’s ours for £20m on 1st July. If we then decide to sell him to Ipswich for five quid, we can, I guess.

Sorry I was being sarcastic referencing an earlier post. He is our player

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

So when do we all think Ramsdale will be announced? Monday morning??? 

He was at the Champions League final at Wembley last night disguised as Voldemort. Make of that what you will. 

5 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

He was at the Champions League final at Wembley last night disguised as Voldemort. Make of that what you will. 

I’m not sure it would be a sensible move to sign a bloke, a grown man, who is only ever seen out dressed as characters from Harry Potter.

Knowing our luck we’d spend £15-20m and he’d be sectioned under some Mental Health Act before a ball is kicked. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

Correct. We had an obligation to buy on promotion with a set fee. With Alderweield we have an option to buy with a set fee but Athletico paid us out of that agreement as they knew they could double their money and they did,  with bigger clubs sniffing around. Remember the lame claims we were going to sue them until we realised we didn’t have a leg to stand on. 

I thought it was more of a case that we had an option at an agreed fee, but the player just rejected the move 

Normally at this time of year we look at the Championship to see who we might plunder. This year the players Iinked to an EPL move that I’d like to see us go for would be Clarke (Sunderland) and Greaves ( Hull CB).

The danger this year though is that signing Championship players, we might remain a Championship level team. So some PL experience would be useful (and from players who’ve cut it there before, not some of our own who haven’t) .

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I’m not sure it would be a sensible move to sign a bloke, a grown man, who is only ever seen out dressed as characters from Harry Potter.

Knowing our luck we’d spend £15-20m and he’d be sectioned under some Mental Health Act before a ball is kicked. 

More chance of signing Robbie Coltrane. And he's been dead for two years so our medical team would have a job on their hands.

21 minutes ago, Badger said:

Normally at this time of year we look at the Championship to see who we might plunder. This year the players Iinked to an EPL move that I’d like to see us go for would be Clarke (Sunderland) and Greaves ( Hull CB).

The danger this year though is that signing Championship players, we might remain a Championship level team. So some PL experience would be useful (and from players who’ve cut it there before, not some of our own who haven’t) .

Clarke was on fire in the first half of the season, but then Sunderland tanked and that was that. He'd be worth a shot at £15m, very classy player when they done us 5-0 at their place. Tore us apart.

Another couple of picks I like, Sara of Norwich and Rodon who was at Leeds - a real classy CB. A 4 of THB, Bednarek, Rodon and Stephens would give us a decent foundation for the PL imo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Clarke was on fire in the first half of the season, but then Sunderland tanked and that was that. He'd be worth a shot at £15m, very classy player when they done us 5-0 at their place. Tore us apart.

Another couple of picks I like, Sara of Norwich and Rodon who was at Leeds - a real classy CB. A 4 of THB, Bednarek, Rodon and Stephens would give us a decent foundation for the PL imo.

Yes to all 3 personally - we have been loosely linked with Rodon: https://the72.co.uk/2024/05/31/leeds-united-joe-rodon-southampton-target/ who was excellent for Leeds all season. Would be an excellent addition at CB giving us 4 good options there. For £15 million odd I hope that's one that happens.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yes, Rodon is a good shout. I noticed in one post match interview Martin mentioned him for a specific clearance he made.

I read Spurs were looking at £15m. Was he at Swansea the same time as RM ? 

14 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

More chance of signing Robbie Coltrane. And he's been dead for two years so our medical team would have a job on their hands.

If Stewart and Delgado many years ago can get through an SFC medical… 

• Haha 1

Just now, Badger said:

Yes, Rodon is a good shout. I noticed in one post match interview Martin mentioned him for a specific clearance he made.

I read Spurs were looking at £15m. Was he at Swansea the same time as RM ? 

£15m is a decent price for him. No, I think he was a sale that happened under Cooper.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He got injured in the second half of the season and was a main part of the reason their form plummeted.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

£15m is a decent price for him. No, I think he was a sale that happened under Cooper.

Interesting. The Swansea fan I know (and who has been fairly  spot on in his observations) raved about Rodon above all the other players they’ve lost in recent years.