Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

52 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

As mad as it seems, it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to try sell Adam Armstrong to one of the championship promotion hopefuls. Get a bit of money in and try to sign someone who can score 6-8 PL goals. As much as I like AA, it's clear he cannot cut it at this level.

Of course this leaves us with a problem if we go down, because we'd be looking to buy him back and guarantee 15+ championship goals 😂

That's harsh. The lad has been lobbed out wide with no CF ahead of him. As much as I think the PL is probably a step too far for him, he can't be judged on how he's performed in RM's dodgy set up this season. 

• Like 9

13 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Last week we still had some faint hope of signing Ramsdale, O'riley and Clarke. Now we aren't signing any of them. I'm not saying that any of them were realistically going to sign for us but those are the level of signings we need to stay up. We've gone for a level below that and so it's not a surprise to see us really struggle. 

The new keeper is rated better than Ramsdale.  Just has had some injuries 

13 hours ago, disconnect said:

We all think the back four picks itself, but Martin will find a space for Stephens…!

Stephens is such a negative play player every possible attack seems to be stiffled by some backwards pass to defence or goal. Stop squeezing him in to the team!!!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

If he played straight away 20 games from now on it would take him to end Jan before the perm contract clause kicked in, but say he took a couple of games its mid feb.

Baz is expected back i guess around march so it would not surprise me for us to stop him making it to 20 games so the perm clause doesnt kick in regardless of how we are performing in the league unless the plan is to ditch mccarthy which would make sense.

I can't believe we would drop the new guy for bazunu who wasn't good enough at Championship level. I'd say baz becomes number 2

1 hour ago, saintant said:

I'm convinced the squad we have with the addition of a decent striker and maybe a creative midfielder would be good enough - the biggest problem we have is RM's insistence on playing his way which won't ever work in the Premier League unless he is given a war chest of circa £400 million.

Psr would stop us spend 400million ?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

Stephens is such a negative play player every possible attack seems to be stiffled by some backwards pass to defence or goal. Stop squeezing him in to the team!!!

He’s just too slow. Both in mind and body.

• Like 4

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

He’s just too slow. Both in mind and body.

Yeah, look the guy was loaned out to Bournemouth ffs, he played just 15 times and they didnt want to buy him at the end of that season. There's a reason for that, he's not Premier League standard so all those "picking on Stephens again" people, its not picking on him, its pointing out the bloody obvious. A few times in that last 10-15 mins yesterday the ball went to him and all urgency just dies, he had no idea what to do with the ball. RM loves him cos he plays Russball superbly, slows things down, passess short, gets it back, passes short again. 

I bet he plays at least 30 games this season, shoe-horned in at the expense of someone better. Two cventre backs and stick the Chelsea lad, Lesley, in that place to bring the ball forward. No brainer. 

• Like 3

Huge need for a ball carrier - if only Sulemana had something more than pace.

Clarke would have been ideal for us.

Not many other links as most others have gone elsewhere, but lots of our moves have been quite under reported until just before the player has signed so hopefully they have something lined up.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, egg said:

That's harsh. The lad has been lobbed out wide with no CF ahead of him. As much as I think the PL is probably a step too far for him, he can't be judged on how he's performed in RM's dodgy set up this season. 

We can judge him on his 2 previous premier league seasons though. Absolutely nothing I’ve seen in his two games this season convinces me he’ll be any different this time around. He’s not good enough to start at this level. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

We can judge him on his 2 previous premier league seasons though. Absolutely nothing I’ve seen in his two games this season convinces me he’ll be any different this time around. He’s not good enough to start at this level. 

For me he improved a lot last season so I'd like to judge him after a run this season, in a side that gives him half a chance. With the squad we've got he'd look a lot better playing off Diaz imo, or wide ISH of a 3 up top. He's being hung out to dry at the moment. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, egg said:

For me he improved a lot last season so I'd like to judge him after a run this season, in a side that gives him half a chance. With the squad we've got he'd look a lot better playing off Diaz imo, or wide ISH of a 3 up top. He's being hung out to dry at the moment. 

For me he didn’t, he was just playing against much worse defences and keepers who gave him more time, space and opportunities. He messed up far too many chances that he just won’t get at this level. Great Championship player to have not not PL capable IMO.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

By who or what metric?

There was a table on here this week which puts him at about 37 and ramsdale at 50. However football critic puts him at 66 and ramsdale at 67

20 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Although I agree, we could have played Haaland upfront yesterday and he wouldn't have had a sniff either out on the right wing. 

• Like 1

We went into the 22/23 season without a striker and it cost us.

We went into the 23/24 season without a striker as we signed an injured Ross Stewart, and it almost cost us.

We cannot go into the 24/25 season without a striker, as unsurprisingly it will cost us.

We have lots of attacking forwards, but none I would consider your ruthless number 9 type. I'm not even expecting the striker to hit 20 goals or whatever, but we need a focal point and someone to build the attack around. I still have faith that some loans will catch us all by surprise, ones we didn't even know were gettable a week ago - this is where we will get our value and best additions, I still believe that. (maybe misguided faith, but we'll see). The club cannot ignore it again, as at this stage it will be absolute gross negligence.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

JB1: Club icon & friend for life

GV1EQygWoAEYFqy.jpeg

Our last pickup from Feyenoord was very good, so hopefully this is similar. The only question marks are his fitness, but that's why we're able to get him if we're honest - otherwise he'd be way out of our league. On his day he had the potential to be an elite level keeper and had stacks of clubs around Europe sniffing, especially these playing from the back style managers, so let's hope he stays fit.

He is probably 4 or 5 levels above anything we have right now.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We went into the 22/23 season without a striker and it cost us.

We went into the 23/24 season without a striker as we signed an injured Ross Stewart, and it almost cost us.

We cannot go into the 24/25 season without a striker, as unsurprisingly it will cost us.

We have lots of attacking forwards, but none I would consider your ruthless number 9 type. I'm not even expecting the striker to hit 20 goals or whatever, but we need a focal point and someone to build the attack around. I still have faith that some loans will catch us all by surprise, ones we didn't even know were gettable a week ago - this is where we will get our value and best additions, I still believe that. (maybe misguided faith, but we'll see). The club cannot ignore it again, as at this stage it will be absolute gross negligence.

Agreed! But the Club obviously have tried to resolve the issue by signing TWO not one goal scoring attackers. Now we will find out if they are the answer (not much sign of it so far) and also whether our style of play supports them, not much sign of that either.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

Agreed! But the Club obviously have tried to resolve the issue by signing TWO not one goal scoring attackers. Now we will find out if they are the answer (not much sign of it so far) and also whether our style of play supports them, not much sign of that either.

They're different types though, I wouldn't call either Archer or BBD number 9's - they both play off or around a proper focal point to get the best out of them, wide forwards is probably the best way to describe them - they're the runners beyond the focal point. We did this before in Che and we tried to stick our heads in the sand with a player not suited to what we were doing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 6ft8saint said:

I can't believe we would drop the new guy for bazunu who wasn't good enough at Championship level. I'd say baz becomes number 2

I can. I'd say that's part of why we'd go for him over Ramsdale - cheaper and less likely to demand a starting spot.

If (and that’s a big if) Bijlow comes in and stays fit, Bazunu and Macca won’t get a look in. Far superior in every way. Macca and Bazunu are number 2 quality, one nearing the end and one with potential to become a number 1.

I’m glad we are doing something about this and fingers crossed Bijlow can break the extremely worrying trend of missing half a season. We have chosen him over Ramsdale because we don’t want a £25-30m obligation plus a £6m loan fee and wages. That’s a huge amount of money for us at this stage in our return, especially considering the money already spent so far with potentially other signings coming in too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

If (and that’s a big if) Bijlow comes in and stays fit, Bazunu and Macca won’t get a look in. Far superior in every way. Macca and Bazunu are number 2 quality, one nearing the end and one with potential to become a number 1.

I’m glad we are doing something about this and fingers crossed Bijlow can break the extremely worrying trend of missing half a season. We have chosen him over Ramsdale because we don’t want a £25-30m obligation plus a £6m loan fee and wages. That’s a huge amount of money for us at this stage in our return, especially considering the money already spent so far with potentially other signings coming in too.

Absolutley he is, people saying he's going to be on the bench and won't demand a starting spot aren't aware of the guys ability. If he plays 20 games and signs for us, he is our number 1 for however long he is available. Bazunu will have to make do with a bench place, which if we're honest is where he should have been for a few years now.

We're actually signing a proper GK for once.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

Now we are getting Bijlow rather than a domestic keeper we still have one PL loan we can use, albeit not from Chelsea.

Likely to be a few decent attacking players available this week, any suggestions? Here are a few potentials...

Reiss Nelson - 24 now, needs proper minutes. Good player who can score goals I think

Jadon Philogene - we have been keen before. Unlikely Villa would get him out but perhaps if they signed Sterling?

David Brooks - not getting a look in at Bmth. Perhaps not the most exciting but would improve the squad. Don't think they would loan to another bottom third club though

Julio Enciso - supposedly won't be loaned out but hard to see him getting too many starts with Rutter, O'Riley and Gruda joining of late.

Ben Doak - has been linked buly a few decent sources during the summer and not gone anywhere yet. Would only play League Cup at Liverpool but Championship loan would probs get him more minutes.

James McAtee - seems v unlikely as Pep on the record as wanting him to stay but has only played 1 min in first two games despite no Foden. Gundogan signing will also cost him mins. Would be ideal for our style and is PL hardened after last season  and we love an ex Blade...

Ryan Fraser - he will clearly leave NUFC and if he can't get them to pay up his deal maybe a subsidised loan could work? Really him like but not sure he overly improves us now?

Daniel Ings - feels like he will leave WH. Clearly class last timw but not done much since and has supposedly turned us down - plus big wages.

Evan Ferguson - unlikely but also how often will he start for Brighton once back from injury?

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Now we are getting Bijlow rather than a domestic keeper we still have one PL loan we can use, albeit not from Chelsea.

Likely to be a few decent attacking players available this week, any suggestions? Here are a few potentials...

Reiss Nelson - 24 now, needs proper minutes. Good player who can score goals I think

Jadon Philogene - we have been keen before. Unlikely Villa would get him out but perhaps if they signed Sterling?

David Brooks - not getting a look in at Bmth. Perhaps not the most exciting but would improve the squad. Don't think they would loan to another bottom third club though

Julio Enciso - supposedly won't be loaned out but hard to see him getting too many starts with Rutter, O'Riley and Gruda joining of late.

Ben Doak - has been linked buly a few decent sources during the summer and not gone anywhere yet. Would only play League Cup at Liverpool but Championship loan would probs get him more minutes.

James McAtee - seems v unlikely as Pep on the record as wanting him to stay but has only played 1 min in first two games despite no Foden. Gundogan signing will also cost him mins. Would be ideal for our style and is PL hardened after last season  and we love an ex Blade...

Ryan Fraser - he will clearly leave NUFC and if he can't get them to pay up his deal maybe a subsidised loan could work? Really him like but not sure he overly improves us now?

Daniel Ings - feels like he will leave WH. Clearly class last timw but not done much since and has supposedly turned us down - plus big wages.

Could not disagree more with some of these based on wages, general ability, how average then were when they’ve played on lesser divisions. 

1 hour ago, Dellyears said:

Think that might need to be partially rewritten as the season progresses: 

Agreed! But the Club obviously have tried to resolve the issue by signing TWO non-scoring attackers.

Perhaps that’s a bit unfair on BBD after his six at Sheff Utd after joining in January , so pro rata to games might get 12-14, but Archer’s four for last season doesn’t inspire confidence. 

Edited by Badger

https://x.com/kranenburg1/status/1827717472444617118?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

Feyenoord say goodbye to Bijlow. Can you imagine us doing this for one of ours? Admittedly Dutch fans understand their league’s position in the order of things but encouraging to see how popular he is.

Fab suggests he’s flying tonight for medical.

Edited by goodymatt

57 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Evan Ferguson - unlikely but also how often will he start for Brighton once back from injury?

None of these excite me, they are much of a muchness, sort of equivalent to Archer, not able to hold a Premier Lg place.

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Our last pickup from Feyenoord was very good, so hopefully this is similar. The only question marks are his fitness, but that's why we're able to get him if we're honest - otherwise he'd be way out of our league. On his day he had the potential to be an elite level keeper and had stacks of clubs around Europe sniffing, especially these playing from the back style managers, so let's hope he stays fit.

He is probably 4 or 5 levels above anything we have right now.

Clasie?

32 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Forest have bid £30m for Santiago Gimenez from Feyenoord. A player I wanted us to go for but obviously way out of our price range. Shame. 

Gotta wonder if Forest would be keen to let Awonyi go? Would be a really decent option for us.

33 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Forest have bid £30m for Santiago Gimenez from Feyenoord. A player I wanted us to go for but obviously way out of our price range. Shame. 

Nketiah move has broken down. Wonder where he ends up. 

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

https://x.com/kranenburg1/status/1827717472444617118?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

Feyenoord say goodbye to Bijlow. Can you imagine us doing this for one of ours? Admittedly Dutch fans understand their league’s position in the order of things but encouraging to see how popular he is.

I'd throw a party for Baz.

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, 6ft8saint said:

The new keeper is rated better than Ramsdale.  Just has had some injuries 

6 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

By who or what metric?

https://everybodysoccer.com/even-the-goalkeepers-like-to/2020/2/18/the-worlds-best-goalkeepers-2020

Rated 17th best in the world Jan 2024 according to their metrics. There's spreadsheets to dig into and updates every six months. Have a thorough look and report back for us whether you agree 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

I'm pretty sure he is One of their Own

Been a bit of a club hero, won things with them.

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
  • Like 4