Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Probably suits the system better but whilst I never believed the Skysports Ramsdale rumours, this feels a bit underwhelming.

Essentially committing to McCarthy playing some of the season when this guy gets injured.

Edited by ErwinK1961
  • Confused 1

Just now, Dusic said:

Will be nice to have a keeper who very specifically suits the style long term.

Also keeps a domestic loan spot free.

Hopefully he can play at Cardiff.

I'd have thought that'll be a reserve team anyway tbf

On 22/08/2024 at 18:36, Matthew Le God said:

Nonsense

Sport Republic have invested a lot of money, Gao didn't invest a single penny.

Saints have spent a lot of money this summer and in their previous PL season under Sport Republic. 

The Alcaraz replacement has already been signed.

Göztepe and Valenciennes doing well benefits Saints and vice versa. So helping them, helps us.

Well whatever way you wanna dress it up .. it’s true we are spending less on players then our rivals and I don’t mean in a net spend quantity over quality way ..Ipswich and everyone else are willing to pay higher fees,

we hear all this talk and excuses made that we can’t compete due to ffp and need to sell to buy but here we are doing deals to help goztepe ..

ok I might have gone a bit far by saying Sr ade dodgier then gao but he wasn’t signing players to loan to other teams..

It’s just a bit frustrating when we can’t compete with teams like Ipswich for players yet we are willing to use funds to help another club 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Probably suits the system better but whilst I never believed the Skysports Ramsdale rumours, this feels a bit underwhelming.

Essentially committing to McCarthy playing some of the season when this guy gets injured.

This. Signing injury prone players seems to be the Southampton way

• Like 3

Happy with that. Bijlow brings a ton of experience for a 26 year old. Statistically better than Ramsdale in most areas and hungry to play and get his spot back in the Dutch national side.

And a permanent move gives great competition long term.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bobsmith said:
I agree we need a new striker. While BBD might contribute around 10 goals, both Archer and Arma are still relatively unproven at this level. Arma deserves a chance, but I haven't seen anything that convinces me he can step up. My concern is that RM's tendency to favor certain players might end up costing us results. The decision to substitute Sugawara, a genuine attacking threat, while keeping Stephens on the pitch and playing him out of position, seemed more about player preference than sound tactics. Similarly, if Alcaraz doesn’t fit into RM’s system, I’m not sure who will effectively link the midfield to the attack—because Aribo certainly isn’t the answer.

Remember that it was our first game in the PL. Sugawara’s debut, and after BBDs antics all of St James’ Park was baying for blood. I’m not surprised he wanted to leave one of our most experienced & streetwise players on the pitch, particularly our captain. Without care we could very easily have gone to pieces and embarrassingly lost 3-0; but we didn’t, and as a consequence the atmosphere for todays game against Forest is still positive.

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
fat fingers
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hopper said:

Happy with that. Bijlow brings a ton of experience for a 26 year old. Statistically better than Ramsdale in most areas and hungry to play and get his spot back in the Dutch national side.

And a permanent move gives great competition long term.

From whom? His competition is Mcarthy and statistically a keeper who has been the worst in the division he’s played in two seasons in a row. As I said a few days ago all he needs to be is better than shit. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Will be nice to have a keeper who very specifically suits the style long term.

Also keeps a domestic loan spot free.

Hopefully he can play at Cardiff.

Hope he doesn’t play at Cardiff. Don’t want him injured before Brentford 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

If we sign another midfielder in addition to this lad coming as part of the Alcaraz deal, surely someone's off? Aribo maybe.

The lad coming in for alcaraz will probably never play for saints

9 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The lad coming in for alcaraz will probably never play for saints

There’s the fighting positivity we know you for Alex. Never one to write off a player too early. Always willing to give the benefit of the doubt. 💪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Turkish said:

From whom? His competition is Mcarthy and statistically a keeper who has been the worst in the division he’s played in two seasons in a row. As I said a few days ago all he needs to be is better than shit. 

Bazunu. That’s why I said long term.

having a keeper like Bijlow in can only help his development once he’s fit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

I like Ramsdale but was never convinced that he's right for the way we play.

I didn’t see Ramsdale coming here, although more due to £ than style of play. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

If he can stay clear of injury, €8m could be a steal for Bijlow. Classic Saints deal: Bijlow, sell high…

Where have we said that before ? 

( just off the top of my head: David Connolly, Delgado, Stewart for recent times, and Charlie George if you go back to the 70’s). 

33 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

There’s the fighting positivity we know you for Alex. Never one to write off a player too early. Always willing to give the benefit of the doubt. 💪

Look forward to reading about his progress in the Sports Republic or Goztepe thread.

8 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

I struggle to understand why wesigned Cameron Archer

The smaller partner of Tall Paul, who is working tirelessly behind the scenes with James Bree. Deep crosses into the tall man to knock down to Archer to score. Martin will still pretend it's all part of Plan A, but that's our future. 🙂 

So we need two quality strikers plus a brilliant creative number ten as a bare minimum. We don't have the spending power so relegation beckons, just hope we avoid embarrassing ourselves.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

From the article

Southampton boss Russell Martin has specifically targeted the goalkeeper for his ability with the ball at his feet and sees Bijlow as an ideal addition to continue playing the style that made them a success in the Championship last season.

Please, please, prioritise one who can use his hands and keep the fucking ball out of the net.

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

From the article

Please, please, prioritise one who can use his hands and keep the fucking ball out of the net.

In case you didn't spot this this previously I will post it again - to try to raise some spirits after a frustrating afternoon at St Marys. Although I do recognise we need some attacking threats too.

On 22/08/2024 at 14:13, Patches O Houlihan said:

I tracked down that World's Best Goalkeeper rating article at everybodyscoccer.com (1st January 2024)

Everybody Soccer returns with its installment of the top goalkeepers in the world. Goalkeepers are rated on their form with club and country, taking into account their success in shot-stopping, distribution, cross-management, and ability to improv on a broken play. To view past rankings, you can click here to see the prior lists in a spreadsheet or visit the list of the top 24 goalkeepers under 24 years old.

Now anybody can write a list. So I'll let you pull it apart and see if you can find fault. I've highlighted players we have been linked with

1. Allison -  Liverpool, Brazil 
  2. Jan Oblak - Athletico Madrid, Slovenia
  3. Manuel Neuer - Bayern Munich, Germany
  4. Thibaut Courtois - Real Madrid, Belgium
  5. Ederson - Man City, Brazil
  6. Gianluigi Donnarumma - PSG, Italy
  7. Arnau Tenas - PSG, Spain
  8.  Emiliano Martinez - Aston Villa, Argentina
  9. Alphonse Areola - West Ham, France
  10. Marc Ter Stegen - Barcelona, Germany

11. Unai Simón - Athletic Bilbao, Spain (26)
12. Kevin Trapp - Eintracht Frankfurt, Germany (32)
13. Kepa Arrizabalaga - Real Madrid, Spain (29)
14. David Raya - Brentford, Spain (28)
15. Dominik Kotarski - PAOK Salonika, Croatia (23)
16. Alex Remiro - Real Sociedad, Spain (28)
17. Justin Bijlow - Feyenoord, Netherlands (26)
18. Gregor Kobel - Dortmund, Switzerland (26)
19. Andriy Lunin - Real Madrid, Ukraine (24)
20. Iñaki Peña - Barcelona, Spain (24)

21. David de Gea - Free Agent, Spain (33)
22. Edouard Mendy - Al-Ahli, Senegal (31)
23. Illan Meslier - Leeds United, France (23)
24. Mike Maignan - AC Milan, France (28)
25. Keylor Navas - PSG, Costa Rica (37)
26. Wojciech Szczesny - Juventus, Poland (33)
27. Luca Zidane - SD Eibar, France (25)
28. Péter Gulácsi - RB Leipzig, Hungary (33)
29. Aaron Ramsdale - Arsenal, England (25)

30. Lukasz Fabianski - West Ham United, Poland (38)
31. Hugo Lloris - Tottenham, France (37)
32. Walter Benítez - PSV Eindhoven, Argentina (30)
33. Kasper Schmeichel - Anderlecht, Denmark (37)
34. Matheus - SC Braga, Brazil (31)
35. Pau López - Marseille, Spain (29)
36. Rubén Blanco - Marseille, Spain (28)
37. Lukas Hradecky - Bayer Leverkusen, Finland (34)
38. Anthony Lopes - Lyon, Portugal (33)
39. André Onana - Manchester United, Cameroon (27)

40. Rui Patrício - Roma, Portugal (35)
41. Bernd Leno - Fulham, Germany (31)
42. Jordan Pickford - Everton, England (29)
43. Franco Israel - Sporting CP, Uruguay (23)
44. Maarten Vandevoordt - Genk, Belgium (21)
45. Salvatore Sirigu - Nice, Italy (37)
46. Pepe Reina - Villarreal, Spain (41)
47. Paul Bernardoni - Konyaspor, France (26)
48. Robert Sanchez - Chelsea, Spain (26)
49. Mathew Ryan - AZ Alkmaar, Australia (31)
50. Sam Johnstone - Crystal Palace, England (30)

2 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I think its fair to say we need a focal point upfront after today.

Whilst ideally I would like a winger and a striker, but I think the striker needs to be the priority if we are limited by funds/FFP

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Not saying he’s the answer by any stretch of the imagination, but what was the point of all this crosses into the box today and not playing someone like Tall Paul to get on the end of them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Not saying he’s the answer by any stretch of the imagination, but what was the point of all this crosses into the box today and not playing someone like Tall Paul to get on the end of them.

Same against Newcastle last week. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bpsaint said:

Said it before - we lump loads of aimless crosses into the box under RM's system. Might as well stick someone up front who might get on the end of them instead of this snobbery that. 'we don't put in high crosses, oh no, that's for team's who can't play football'. Give me a break Russ - you aren't good enough to coach a team to play effective possession football at this level so swallow your pride and stick a big unit up front.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

13 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Whilst ideally I would like a winger and a striker, but I think the striker needs to be the priority if we are limited by funds/FFP

Think we’ve known this all summer. What’s their answer? Signing BBD and Archer, the saviours of Sheffield Utd last season, expecting them to deliver for us. At the cost BBD didn’t seem a bad option, although he seems to limit himself by being wedded to the left side too much.

Archer may have some pace, but he doesn’t have the height and presence we need (in my view). 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

In case you didn't spot this this previously I will post it again - to try to raise some spirits after a frustrating afternoon at St Marys. Although I do recognise we need some attacking threats too.

Interestingly, Kotarski is just above him in the list. He was linked several times much earlier in the transfer window (and weirdly was not in Croatia's euro 24 squad). 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I did see that post, and it was an interesting read, thanks.

The list doesn’t reflect their tendency for injury though which seems the main question mark over Bijlow.

(as you say, clearly isn’t designed to address how feeble we are in attack). 

A week of the window left. But if they haven’t done it over the last two months then clearly expecting a lot for things to change in next seven days. 

3 hours ago, Hopper said:

Bazunu. That’s why I said long term.

having a keeper like Bijlow in can only help his development once he’s fit.

Bazunu does not possess the basic requisites for a keeper such as keeping the ball out of the back of the net.

I think after a few more zeros the penny will drop with some that with a great goalkeeper you can't win many matches unless you score some goals. It takes good players to score goals whilst average players can defend if disciplined and well organised.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

I think after a few more zeros the penny will drop with some that with a great goalkeeper you can't win many matches unless you score some goals. It takes good players to score goals whilst average players can defend if disciplined and well organised.

In fairness we haven't done too badly at this over the last two games. It could have been a lot worse. Something to build on.

But like you say right now it is tough to see where a bit of final third magic is going to come from.