Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Looks like Alcarez deal is close to being done and Bella Kotchap still in talks with other clubs so could soon see another £25-£30m in the coffers. Maybe closer to £40m if we can find a buyer for TP. 

I wonder if we will spend it (or a decent chunk of it) - or whether we already have.

Could be a nice little run in towards the end of the window.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, benjii said:

Armstrong - 12

BBD - 10

Archer - 8

Edozie/Sulemana/Dibbling/Amo Ameyaw - 2

Smallbone / Aribo / Fernandes - 6

Downes and Les - 1

KWP / Suga / Taylor / Manning / Bree - 2

Centre backs- 5

That's 46 goals. Decent chance of staying up.

You don't need someone scoring a shitload, you just need someone to take the chances we get and also to maximise set pieces as far as possible. Of course, if someone does score a shit load then that's largely the difference between bottom half and top half.

If our three main strikers get twenty or more goals between them they will have done very well. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

No way is Armstrong getting anywhere close to 12 goals this season.

Yeah this is my big worry. 

I love arma. He was fantastic last season. But we have a large amount of evidence that he’s not quite good enough to replicate his goal scoring in the premier league. 

Yet we are heavily relying on him again this season as things stand. 

1 minute ago, Osvaldorama said:

I love arma. He was fantastic last season. But we have a large amount of evidence that he’s not quite good enough to replicate his goal scoring in the premier league. 

If Armstrong got injured, who would be our alternative? Probably tells you where one of our biggest weaknesses in the squad is. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

I’m not giving up on Armstrong just yet. Being in and out of the team on the left in a 4-2-2-2 off the ball focused team is a completely different environment to the way we play now. I think he will both get more chances to score but also finish more of them than last time. Plus he now takes our pens, so double figures is achievable until he proves he can’t do it in this system at this level. He was taking shots from very difficult places to score in his previous seasons in the PL, I’m hoping as a result of the system and his lack of compatibility with it. The counter argument is 2 seasons at PL level is a big enough sample but Ralph didn’t trust him and Russ does, let’s hope he can step up.

• Like 4

Saido Berahino, who scored 20 in 45 games for West Brom in 2015, almost signed for Pochettino's Spurs and was being talked up for England has just signed for Rajasthan United in the Indian second division. 

Could have been the final part of the jigsaw. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Midfield_General said:

Saido Berahino, who scored 20 in 45 games for West Brom in 2015, almost signed for Pochettino's Spurs and was being talked up for England has just signed for Rajasthan United in the Indian second division. 

Could have been the final part of the jigsaw. 

image.jpeg.bf6417d9dd10adf48565cca2958ff2b3.jpeg

1 hour ago, benjii said:

Armstrong - 12

BBD - 10

Archer - 8

Edozie/Sulemana/Dibbling/Amo Ameyaw - 2

Smallbone / Aribo / Fernandes - 6

Downes and Les - 1

KWP / Suga / Taylor / Manning / Bree - 2

Centre backs- 5

That's 46 goals. Decent chance of staying up.

You don't need someone scoring a shitload, you just need someone to take the chances we get and also to maximise set pieces as far as possible. Of course, if someone does score a shit load then that's largely the difference between bottom half and top half.

Incredibly optimistic figures.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If Armstrong got injured, who would be our alternative? Probably tells you where one of our biggest weaknesses in the squad is. 

Don't worry, Ross Stewart is only 2 weeks away so we can unleash the Loch Ness Drogba

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Suhari said:

I wonder if we will spend it (or a decent chunk of it) - or whether we already have.

Could be a nice little run in towards the end of the window.

We don't need more outfield players, the squad is getting bloated. We are not Chelsea. Its just a GK. Get that and get going.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Badger said:

The idea of success for them has changed though. Last couple of seasons success has been finishing top two, possibly third. Now they just have to finish above three others 

Good point 👍 but I expect them to find it very hard to win matches in the prem.

1 hour ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Youssoufa Moukoko's deal to Real Betis is off. https://x.com/berger_pj/status/1826305942725464399

We were mentioned as one of the clubs interested. He broke all sorts of youth scoring records at Dortmund and is the youngest player to ever score in the Bundesliga. He's as close to a goal machine as we could get for our money. He's got loads of experience having made his debut the day after he turned 16. Obviously the majority as a sub, but he has played in 99 games for Dortmund.

He's leaving due to wanting more 1st team minutes at 19 years old. He only played 613 minutes last season in the Bundelsiga (equivalent to just under 7 full matches) and scored 5 goals. 5 in 7 is a very good return, but obviously he will have a much tougher time in the Premier League in a low table team. He had a nasty ankle sprain the season before (nothing needing surgery or anything) and hasn't got back into the team since.

Left footed and about 5'11, he is a pacey striker with a great shot on him. But I'd probably have him play RW for us, where we haven't found a solution since Tella left. Cutting in on his left foot I'm sure he would be very dangerous.

I'm intrigued. He wants to move out of Germany and he wants 1st team football. If we sell Charly, Tall Paul and ABK then I could see us making a move for him. Berger reported the fee was only €13m - €14m.

I would classify this in the "insane signing" category, if it were pulled off.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/youssoufa-moukoko/profil/spieler/467720

That’s Betis and Marseille that he’s allegedly been about to move to that has fallen through, got to wonder why.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

Good point 👍 but I expect them to find it very hard to win matches in the prem.

Just hope they(and a few others)  find it a damn sight harder than we do.

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

I'm fairly hopeful we'll still bring in someone with a bit of physicality and power.  We were in for Delap, possibly Broja, and inquired about Ioannides so that indicates the kind of profile we've been looking at.  You can also argue Matt O'Riley too as he often played as a 10.  I don't think we get knocked back and go fuck it, let's sign Archer instead.

Martin also likes having that option - he signed Stewart and played with Piroe who's a bit of a unit.  It's all about options and having something different to what we currently have which will make a big difference and enhance the other players.  Particularly if we play with three at the back and need someone to hold the ball up a bit, bring others into play and avoid the forward players becoming isolated.  Someone pointed out that Martin still felt we needed something more in the forward areas last week so we should be expecting some movement in this area over the next week.

Every position has been carefully thought through so far. I really can’t see us not bothering with a striker. I reckon we have a striker on loan set up already. A “ let’s see who’s available in the last 24 hours of the window, if there’s no one wing it until January “ plan doesn’t fit in with how we’ve played it so far. 
while we are at it I cannot see Ramsdale going to any other club than Saints. He has a lot of connections here and will be perfectly used to playing it out from the back.

Im going to get shit whatever I say so I still see Matt O’Riley as a goer again loads of connections with the club and there are rumblings of discontent amongst the Celtic fans about Kyogo, O’Riley , Hatate and Johnstone leaving so Celtic board have got to put on a show about that lot going. 

in fact if we don’t sort a striker out I’m straight on the phone to Dragan Solak.

• Haha 1

Just now, manji said:

Every position has been carefully thought through so far. I really can’t see us not bothering with a striker. I reckon we have a striker on loan set up already. A “ let’s see who’s available in the last 24 hours of the window, if there’s no one wing it until January “ plan doesn’t fit in with how we’ve played it so far. 
while we are at it I cannot see Ramsdale going to any other club than Saints. He has a lot of connections here and will be perfectly used to playing it out from the back.

Im going to get shit whatever I say so I still see Matt O’Riley as a goer again loads of connections with the club and there are rumblings of discontent amongst the Celtic fans about Kyogo, O’Riley , Hatate and Johnstone leaving so Celtic board have got to put on a show about that lot going. 

in fact if we don’t sort a striker out I’m straight on the phone to Dragan Solak.

So a striker, Ramsdale AND O’Riley? Think you’ll be disappointed 

46 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Don't worry, Ross Stewart is only 2 weeks away so we can unleash the Loch Ness Drogba

Fucks sake leave the poor fella alone. He will be as gutted as anyone. I saw him play in the B match before his last injury he looked ready to rip the championship apart. His hamstring injury couldn’t have been predicted. It’s pointless rushing him back especially if we have the loan striker in the bag 🤔

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

So a striker, Ramsdale AND O’Riley? Think you’ll be disappointed 

probably just some idle speculation. Better than the we are definitely getting relegated because ***************** stuff. 

4 minutes ago, manji said:

Fucks sake leave the poor fella alone. He will be as gutted as anyone. I saw him play in the B match before his last injury he looked ready to rip the championship apart. His hamstring injury couldn’t have been predicted. It’s pointless rushing him back especially if we have the loan striker in the bag 🤔

Yeah he probably is gutted, but as a club we've got to be ruthless and you have to be honest and say he has been a truly horrific signing that will likely never return to a high standard. I noticed that Russell said he'll be back on the training pitch this week, but unsurprisingly he hasn't been back on the training pitch.

There's 'not rushing him back' and then there's ''covering up something more sinister'', and it looks like the latter.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Just hope they(and a few others)  find it a damn sight harder than we do.

Yes 👍 And I hope the fact that we have been in the best division 38 seasons out of the last 46 seasons will give us the edge compared to at least 10 of the 11 teams mentioned below.

As you know It will take for instance 10 wins and 10 draws to collect the "magic 40 point survival" border.
40 points we will probably primarily have to collect from matches vs the following 11 oppositions.
Ipswich, Everton, Crystal Palace, Leicester, Wolves, Brentford, Bournemouth, Fulham, Forest, Brighton and West Ham. 

It should be do-able for us, hopefully more do-able for us than for Ipswich and a couple of other teanms,

and I hope we collect the first 3 points tomorrow at home vs Forest and then at least another point vs Brentford.

If we can manage that, and I think we can - RM and his crew can hopefully evaluate things positively during the international break that follows.

29 minutes ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

Yes 👍 And I hope the fact that we have been in the best division 38 seasons out of the last 46 seasons will give us the edge compared to at least 10 of the 11 teams mentioned below.

As you know It will take for instance 10 wins and 10 draws to collect the "magic 40 point survival" border.
40 points we will probably primarily have to collect from matches vs the following 11 oppositions.
Ipswich, Everton, Crystal Palace, Leicester, Wolves, Brentford, Bournemouth, Fulham, Forest, Brighton and West Ham. 

It should be do-able for us, hopefully more do-able for us than for Ipswich and a couple of other teanms,

and I hope we collect the first 3 points tomorrow at home vs Forest and then at least another point vs Brentford.

If we can manage that, and I think we can - RM and his crew can hopefully evaluate things positively during the international break that follows.

So we need a result in 20 of those 22 games? Puts a lot of pressure on when you view it like that. 
I mean, it’s only natural that we’ll think we’ll have a better chance in those type of matches but I guarantee we lose more than 2 of those. Similarly we’ll get some unexpected results against the other 8 sides

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, manji said:

Nobody is blaming him but it is a total embarrassment that the club signed a player with such a serious injury before he had proven his recovery.  He has been an incredible waste of money and is currently tying up wages, transfer budget and a place in the squad and his contribution to date has been ….. nothing!

He might make a miraculous recovery and prove himself but it won’t change the fact we have been a man down since the day he signed .

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, manji said:

If we are getting a striker in on loan, then we would have to be buying Ramsdale outright (assuming it is Ramsdale and not the Feyenoord keeper).

Can anybody really see us spending more than £25 million to sign Ramsdale??

10 minutes ago, Chewy said:

So we need a result in 20 of those 22 games? Puts a lot of pressure on when you view it like that. 
I mean, it’s only natural that we’ll think we’ll have a better chance in those type of matches but I guarantee we lose more than 2 of those. Similarly we’ll get some unexpected results against the other 8 sides

The season we went down, when we were absolute horseshit, we still beat Chelsea home and away, drew with Arsenal home and away, drew with Man Utd away, drew with Spurs, drew with Liverpool and knocked a very decent Man City side out of the league cup. Our problem was that we were absolutely shite against everyone else. 

If we can make ourselves hard to beat this season then there's no reason we can't get some points against the big boys. Need to combine that with winning the games we 'ought' to win at home against the bottom 6-7 though, which we singularly failed to do last time round. 

And that needs to start with Forest tomorrow. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Pat from Poole said:

If we are getting a striker in on loan, then we would have to be buying Ramsdale outright (assuming it is Ramsdale and not the Feyenoord keeper).

No, I can't. It would ruin what appears to have been a carefully balanced expenditure this window.

8 hours ago, Chewy said:

I agree. It's 20 out of 38 games, though. (Still a fairly big chunk of the games, agreed).

Correction:
I misunderstood, sorry,  you are of course talking about getting 40 points in the specific 22 matches against the specific eleven teams I mentioned 👍
I agree - we will probably NOT succeed in reaching 40 points from those specific 22 games, so, yes, we will have to take points from the socalled bigger teams as well. 

Edited by Kristian Loekkegaard

Russ is hardly gonna go “ Yeah we absolutely spaffed £8m up the wall on Ross Stewart”. 
I’d love to be a fly on the wall behind the scenes, I’m sure they all know he won’t cut it in the Premier League.

Moukoko is interesting, smashed all sorts of records at youth level and suddenly surplus to requirements, got to be either attitude or injury related, two recent agreed loan deals that have collapsed is something.

Ramsdale or Bijlow, let’s see what materialises.

I imagine we’re looking at an attacking/wide player now and a GK. I reckon we’ll only make a couple more signings. Or we’ll sign twenty and loan them to Goztepe.

48 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

Nobody is blaming him but it is a total embarrassment that the club signed a player with such a serious injury before he had proven his recovery.  He has been an incredible waste of money and is currently tying up wages, transfer budget and a place in the squad and his contribution to date has been ….. nothing!

He might make a miraculous recovery and prove himself but it won’t change the fact we have been a man down since the day he signed .

I was under the impression that he had fully recovered from the initial injury and then picked up a new one? Could be wrong though.

1 minute ago, sadoldgit said:

I was under the impression that he had fully recovered from the initial injury and then picked up a new one? Could be wrong though.

HE had a major injury when we first signed him that he hadn't recovered from since then he has played about two minutes of football.  Yes his latest injury isn't the same one but if we hadn't wasted our money on a player who had not recovered from a major injury then we might have been able to spend the money on a player who actually plays!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, a1ex2001 said:

HE had a major injury when we first signed him that he hadn't recovered from since then he has played about two minutes of football.  Yes his latest injury isn't the same one but if we hadn't wasted our money on a player who had not recovered from a major injury then we might have been able to spend the money on a player who actually plays!

It's very likely that the new injury was caused by weakness from the old injury. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, a1ex2001 said:

He had a major injury when we first signed him that he hadn't recovered from 

He had recovered from that injury by the time he signed for us to the extent that he he was training and playing behind closed doors games for Sunderland.

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's very likely that the new injury was caused by weakness from the old injury. 

Can't determine likelihood without access to his medical record and a medical background yourself. It could be entirely unconnected.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pat from Poole said:

Not if the striker loan came from abroad. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Well there could be a situation where we both stay up. Unlikely, but all 3 promoted teams managed it when we last went down. Points deduction for Leicester probably relegated them, 2 more spaces to fill.

There are 3 clubs yet to be delt with, not the year to go down if they are ! But would almost guarantee PL survival if they get puniahment this season.

FFP investigations this season - Premier League

Club

Date charged

Punishment

Everton

March 2023

Ten-point deduction (reduced to six on appeal)

Nottingham Forest

January 2024

Four-point deduction (subject to appeal)

Everton

January 2024

Two-point deduction (subject to appeal)

Chelsea

n/a

Investigation ongoing

Manchester City

February 2023

Investigation ongoing

Leicester City

March 2024

Referred to independent commission

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

That is the problem. We took a punt on Ings and it payed off. This one hasn’t paid off so far and maybe it won’t. As we know, injuries can occur any time and there are no guarantees with any player. Yes, it is frustrating, just as much so for the player and the club. As we know, not every transfer works out the way we would like. None of us knows the score re his fitness, but they must have been moderately confident that he wasn’t a total crock when they parted with the cash.

49 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Even though we have 2 clear keeper links, I guess no-one will have come in before tomorrow so it's Macca time again? 

Watch him cock it up again tomorrow, to no-one’s surprise. Russ will say it was bad particles in the air or something. The keeper blindness goes on. 

Edited by DT
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DT said:

Watch him cock it up again tomorrow, to no-one’s surprise. Russ will say it was bad particles in the air or something. The keeper blindness goes on. 

Alternatively, he'll play an absolute blinder. People will say that we don't need a new keeper. 

The window will close, and then he returns to his normal form :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DT said:

How the hell is it keeper blindness? We are in the process of getting someone else in. This takes time. If we don’t get a keeper in by the end of the window, fair enough, have your say then. But really strange post considering the news over the last few days.

What a miserable fuck you come across as, always negative, always moaning, and as thick as shit.

• Like 2