Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

4 hours ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

I seriously doubt Ipswich will be succesful for the third season in a row - now being a prem team - after so many years away from the elite division. 

The idea of success for them has changed though. Last couple of seasons success has been finishing top two, possibly third. Now they just have to finish above three others 

7 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Clarke is the first of Ipswich's signings that I am jealous of. Quality player who I was really hoping we'd sign, but I guess we have other priorities. Really think we need a proper focal point in attack.

Wonder if Clarke was an option if we’d been able to move on Sulemana. Shame that hasn’t been possible. 

Of their signings, I’d have liked us to sign Greaves, but with THB signing that wasn’t going to happen. Be interesting to compare their progress and see which if either make the step up to the full England squad. 

Going on some earlier reports it seems Delap was ahead of Archer in our target list for a striker. 

• Like 2

I think we've been pretty sensible with our signings, rather than exciting. If it keeps the team spirit and positivity in the camp, then I'm all for it.

We've had too many years of not being sensible with our transfers.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Hope the loan works out for him, but Charles just looks a bit lumbering and slow to me, which isn't something he's going to be able to change.

Well, certainly I don't agree with that but doubt we'll see him back here in a Saints shirt again. This is called being 'eased out of the door'.

• Like 1

Just now, Charlie Wayman said:

Well, certainly I don't agree with that but doubt we'll see him back here in a Saints shirt again. This is called being 'eased out of the door'.

I disagree. He's still very young indeed and has clear potential. I think another year of Championship football, hopefully as a starting regular, will do him the world of good.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’d be surprised if Saints bought Bijlow and Ramsdale, given we still have Lumley, Bazunu and McCarthy on the books.

It’ll probably be one or the other, that would be the most logical solution.

Who would think otherwise? 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Badger said:

Wonder if Clarke was an option if we’d been able to move on Sulemana. Shame that hasn’t been possible. 

Of their signings, I’d have liked us to sign Greaves, but with THB signing that wasn’t going to happen. Be interesting to compare their progress and see which if either make the step up to the full England squad. 

Going on some earlier reports it seems Delap was ahead of Archer in our target list for a striker. 

I thought Delap looked good in their opener against Liverpool, quite a handful.

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’d be surprised if Saints bought Bijlow and Ramsdale, given we still have Lumley, Bazunu and McCarthy on the books.

So would everyone.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

that would only happen if we were allowed to play 2 keepers in games

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Feyenoord is willing to think along with the Premier League club. The possibility that Bijlow will spend the rest of the season on a rental basis for Southampton is one of the options. However, a mandatory purchase option must be included in the agreement. 

I guess too late for forest game unless Martin is happy to throw him in ?

Wonder if Feyenoord will consider mandatory- subject to number of appearances/injuries etc . Doubt it somehow. 

• Like 1

Sky Sports reporting Saints have a loan deal for Ramsdale lined up - he needs first team opportunities, so if he comes it’ll definitely be as no.1. Kind of old news but first I’ve seen a concrete report so looks likely. I wonder if it’ll be a loan to buy deal or we intend to bail and go back to the Baz project - hope the former?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

that would only happen if we were allowed to play 2 keepers in games

That would be useful, especially in RussBall where the 2 goalies could pass the ball back and forth between each other luring unsuspecting attackers in ..

• Haha 7

Overall I like the business we have done, but still arguable we have mainly improved our squad rather than the starting XI that finished 4th in the Championship.

Assuming we have nearly sorted GK I think the first two thirds of the pitch look strong and with depth.

The final third we are still massively short of what is required to stay up - there just aren't enough players who will score goals and a lack of creativity and one vs one ability that you need in the PL - especially when under the cosh.

Will be a massive shame if we fairly often play well and just don't have enough to get the goals our play deserves...and not something the manager can really impact either.

Arma struggled big time at this level before and hard to tell what we will get output wise from BBD and Archer.

Beyond that we have nobody who can be relied upon for more than a couple of goals really - so its still a massive issue.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Sky Sports reporting Saints have a loan deal for Ramsdale lined up - he needs first team opportunities, so if he comes it’ll definitely be as no.1. Kind of old news but first I’ve seen a concrete report so looks likely. I wonder if it’ll be a loan to buy deal or we intend to bail and go back to the Baz project - hope the former?

Report is that it's an obligation to buy if we stay up, can't imagine Bazunu will come back in as number one if that's the case.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Overall I like the business we have done, but still arguable we have mainly improved our squad rather than the starting XI that finished 4th in the Championship.

Assuming we have nearly sorted GK I think the first two thirds of the pitch look strong and with depth.

The final third we are still massively short of what is required to stay up - there just aren't enough players who will score goals and a lack of creativity and one vs one ability that you need in the PL - especially when under the cosh.

Will be a massive shame if we fairly often play well and just don't have enough to get the goals our play deserves...and not something the manager can really impact either.

Arma struggled big time at this level before and hard to tell what we will get output wise from BBD and Archer.

Beyond that we have nobody who can be relied upon for more than a couple of goals really - so its still a massive issue.

It could be argued that the club has analysed the issue and decided the root cause was not in the strikers individually, but in (a) the competition level of the strikers which has been addressed with BBD and Archer in and/or (b) the supply to the front line which has been addressed by bringing SAA and Dibling in, adding Suga and Fernandes which has improved midfield. You could also argue Lesley potentially provides an opportunity for Downes to get forward more. That’s not to say we’ll not add more, but I’m not certain we’ll see a regular CF come in, especially if Stewart manages to get/stay fit.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dusic said:

The last few times we stayed up we had a player who could score out of nothing. Either Ings, who was good enough to be able to carve out and finish his own chances when it looked like nothing was on, or JWP who got so good at direct free kicks that being given anything within 25 yards felt close to being given a penalty. 

I think we've added some decent breadth and depth, and I think Lesley, Fernandes, whichever keeper we sign and probably BBD will probably all end up being upgrades on what we had in those positions last season. But I agree with you that it's hard to see where that bit of magic is going to come from. Someone who can pull something a bit special out of nowhere and win you a game that you don't really deserve to win, against the run of play. 

It would be great if we pulled someone like that out of the bag at the end of the window. No idea who, but someone exciting who really gets people off their seat, and is a proper goal threat either by scoring themselves or by drawing people to them to create space for others. I keep thinking of Barkley going to Luton last season - someone like that. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

If that's accurate (I have no idea who Sam C is or whether they are a proper source) and they're just quibbling over £2.5m then just get it done before Wolves snap him up, that's pocket change in today's market

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

It could be argued that the club has analysed the issue and decided the root cause was not in the strikers individually, but in (a) the competition level of the strikers which has been addressed with BBD and Archer in and/or (b) the supply to the front line which has been addressed by bringing SAA and Dibling in, adding Suga and Fernandes which has improved midfield. You could also argue Lesley potentially provides an opportunity for Downes to get forward more. That’s not to say we’ll not add more, but I’m not certain we’ll see a regular CF come in, especially if Stewart manages to get/stay fit.

Interesting alternative way of looking at it. Different to how fans generally think and a level or two deeper than the “ obvious” we need a striker-buy a striker thought line. 

Archer is in, BBD is in and the MF improved. We have not bought another winger to aid supply despite the impression we get that RM wants one who can deliver goals and assists rather than just step overs ( which is a rather direct criticism of our current and plentiful young wingers) but I guess Saints potentially have the Wee Man card up its sleeve for that at close of window. 

I'm sure we will sign another attacking player once the GK situation is sorted. Martin said after the game last week that we still need to add at the top end of the pitch and since then Mara has left (no loss I know, but still a player out the door). Add in that Tall Paul may still go and who the fuck knows about Ross Stewart, leaves us pretty light. 

The Greek lad at Panathinaikos would give us something different in terms of his physicality and he can clearly finish, but it'll be tough to get that one done if they've already turned down bids of £22.5m for him and I highly doubt they will want to sell before their second leg of the European qualifier v Lens next Thursday. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

I'm sure we will sign another attacking player once the GK situation is sorted. Martin said after the game last week that we still need to add at the top end of the pitch and since then Mara has left (no loss I know, but still a player out the door). Add in that Tall Paul may still go and who the fuck knows about Ross Stewart, leaves us pretty light. 

The Greek lad at Panathinaikos would give us something different in terms of his physicality and he can clearly finish, but it'll be tough to get that one done if they've already turned down bids of £22.5m for him and I highly doubt they will want to sell before their second leg of the European qualifier v Lens next Thursday. 

If we can afford a player at 25 million plus then why wouldn't we have gone for o'riley? 

Unless something changes in the next week or so we are going to struggle to score goals this season.  Armstrong will maybe get 10-12 goals this season if we play him the right way.  Archer and BBD probably about the same unless I am pleasantly surprised - but I am not sure that will be enough.

But all of them are wide strikers or second strikers - we still lack a centre forward to lead the line and give us an out ball when we are under pressure at the back. And we lack a creative winger, No.10 or AM to set the strikers up.

I am discounting Ross Stewart as I don't think he will ever really play more than the odd game for us before we pay him off or send him back to Scotland on the cheap.

Edozie has no real end product and probably needs to spend a season in the Championship - with a good coach - being a guaranteed starter to fix this part of his game.  But at least he is better than Sulemana who has no end product at all - and no football brain - just a bit of pace.

The terrible signings of Sulemana and Stewart are still weighing us down - and I hope Sports Republic have learnt their lessons from them but I am not sure the have. The goalkeeper situation suggests they still have a lot to learn.

It looks like we are going to end up playing 3-5-2 so maybe we just don't need them - although I think its more a case of we just can't afford them.  I think how we set up against Forest will tell us a lot about what we can expect this season.

Ipswich have had a good transfer window so far - and I would have liked us to sign Greaves, Delap and Clarke - they all would have added to our squad. And we still need a left footed centre back, a good left winger and a centre forward.  But I think we had a better squad than Ipswich to start with - and in both the games we played against them last season we were the better team - although we lost both.  I still think we have a slightly better midfield, and a better defence but are probably about the same in attack.

Ipswich due to FFP and their lack of terrible signings and small wage bill had a lot more money to spend than us this summer though.

What worries me is I can't see that there are 3 teams in the Premier League with worse squads than the 3 teams then came up - maybe one of Brentford, Everton, Forest, Palace or Wolves will have bad season - and one of the promoted teams will stay up at their expense. 

3 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Unless something changes in the next week or so we are going to struggle to score goals this season.  Armstrong will maybe get 10-12 goals this season if we play him the right way.  Archer and BBD probably about the same unless I am pleasantly surprised - but I am not sure that will be enough.

But all of them are wide strikers or second strikers - we still lack a centre forward to lead the line and give us an out ball when we are under pressure at the back. And we lack a creative winger, No.10 or AM to set the strikers up.

I am discounting Ross Stewart as I don't think he will ever really play more than the odd game for us before we pay him off or send him back to Scotland on the cheap.

Edozie has no real end product and probably needs to spend a season in the Championship - with a good coach - being a guaranteed starter to fix this part of his game.  But at least he is better than Sulemana who has no end product at all - and no football brain - just a bit of pace.

The terrible signings of Sulemana and Stewart are still weighing us down - and I hope Sports Republic have learnt their lessons from them but I am not sure the have. The goalkeeper situation suggests they still have a lot to learn.

It looks like we are going to end up playing 3-5-2 so maybe we just don't need them - although I think its more a case of we just can't afford them.  I think how we set up against Forest will tell us a lot about what we can expect this season.

Ipswich have had a good transfer window so far - and I would have liked us to sign Greaves, Delap and Clarke - they all would have added to our squad. And we still need a left footed centre back, a good left winger and a centre forward.  But I think we had a better squad than Ipswich to start with - and in both the games we played against them last season we were the better team - although we lost both.  I still think we have a slightly better midfield, and a better defence but are probably about the same in attack.

Ipswich due to FFP and their lack of terrible signings and small wage bill had a lot more money to spend than us this summer though.

What worries me is I can't see that there are 3 teams in the Premier League with worse squads than the 3 teams then came up - maybe one of Brentford, Everton, Forest, Palace or Wolves will have bad season - and one of the promoted teams will stay up at their expense. 

If our three strikers all score double figures we’ll be fine! When was the last time that happened?

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Dont you think the central striker will be our second Premier league club loan right at the end of the window?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

If our three strikers all score double figures we’ll be fine! When was the last time that happened?

exactly. When we finished sixth under Koeman Mane, Pelle got 11 each and Long got 10. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rebel said:

There seems to be a belief that every club needs a 20 goal a season, proper central 9 to be safe. Totally not the case. You quite often only have a couple who get over 20 in a season.

If we want a 20 goal striker, we need to pay £70m like Spurs did with Solanke.

Sometimes clubs like ourselves can get lucky with an Ings, but ideally for our level we want to be sharing the goals around. I think 10-12 for each of those guys is massively optimistic and not needed if our target is to just survive, but if all 3 hit 10 goals then we're finishing top half without a problem.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not if Ramsdale is a loan. I can see us going with what we have now up front, then panic buying in January. 

I'm assuming thats not happening and the Dutch guy is coming in tbh, but yeah if that does happen its Plan B for a striker

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

I completely agree, they had the momentum as a team after their L1 promotion in the championship and they then got off to a flyer in the champs (won 10 games before Nov) and just maintained a good mix of results after to xmas and then did good business in Jan to re-energise themselves it while ourselves and leeds were our own worst victims.

I think Ipswich did excellently as a club overall from exec's downwards and they were a consistent 8/10 most weeks but i dont see this carrying on and Leif Davis had 18 assists last season, so target him and make him defend and ipswich's most creative outlet by far stops working.

Couldn't help but notice that both Liverpool goals last week came down his side so - correct - make him defend and minimise the goal threat at the other end of the pitch (how that shot beat Bazunu back in April still annoys me).

30 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I’d guess at Pelle, Long and Mane in 15/16. 

• Like 1

I'm fairly hopeful we'll still bring in someone with a bit of physicality and power.  We were in for Delap, possibly Broja, and inquired about Ioannides so that indicates the kind of profile we've been looking at.  You can also argue Matt O'Riley too as he often played as a 10.  I don't think we get knocked back and go fuck it, let's sign Archer instead.

Martin also likes having that option - he signed Stewart and played with Piroe who's a bit of a unit.  It's all about options and having something different to what we currently have which will make a big difference and enhance the other players.  Particularly if we play with three at the back and need someone to hold the ball up a bit, bring others into play and avoid the forward players becoming isolated.  Someone pointed out that Martin still felt we needed something more in the forward areas last week so we should be expecting some movement in this area over the next week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Great insight mate. Agreed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

9 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Agreed we are still lacking creativity and firepower up top. 

How about one of the lads at Luton ? Didn't both strikers get 10 goals last season each ? 

Could be worth a punt 

100%, Carlton Morris for me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

100%, Carlton Morris for me. 

Why? He wouldn't play.

We were in for Delap, he went to Ipswich so we signed Archer, who is a central striker.

We have BBD, Archer and Arma (plus the very much lesser spotted LND).

IMO we much more need someone to create clear chances for those guys (like Clarke would have) than another person who will feed off scraps.

IMO we have a load of midfielders, a decent stack of forwards but not much in between aside from Edozie and a raw SAA.

This area is our clearest need.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Why? He wouldn't play.

We were in for Delap, he went to Ipswich so we signed Archer, who is a central striker.

We have BBD, Archer and Arma (plus the very much lesser spotted LND).

IMO we much more need someone to create clear chances for those guys (like Clarke would have) than another person who will feed off scraps.

IMO we have a load of midfielders, a decent stack of forwards but not much in between aside from Edozie and a raw SAA.

This area is our clearest need.

Why? Because he's a better centre forward than anything we have. He scored 11 goals and got 4 assists last season in a team that got relegated.

And I believe we'd be able to get him for maximum of £15million.

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Why? Because he's a better centre forward than anything we have. He scored 11 goals last season in a team that got relegated.

And I believe we'd be able to get him for maximum of £15million.

For a super direct team that plays about as opposite you can get to us.

If anyone in the PL wanted him he would be easy to get. There is a reason why nobody does.

Youssoufa Moukoko's deal to Real Betis is off. https://x.com/berger_pj/status/1826305942725464399

We were mentioned as one of the clubs interested. He broke all sorts of youth scoring records at Dortmund and is the youngest player to ever score in the Bundesliga. He's as close to a goal machine as we could get for our money. He's got loads of experience having made his debut the day after he turned 16. Obviously the majority as a sub, but he has played in 99 games for Dortmund.

He's leaving due to wanting more 1st team minutes at 19 years old. He only played 613 minutes last season in the Bundelsiga (equivalent to just under 7 full matches) and scored 5 goals. 5 in 7 is a very good return, but obviously he will have a much tougher time in the Premier League in a low table team. He had a nasty ankle sprain the season before (nothing needing surgery or anything) and hasn't got back into the team since.

Left footed and about 5'11, he is a pacey striker with a great shot on him. But I'd probably have him play RW for us, where we haven't found a solution since Tella left. Cutting in on his left foot I'm sure he would be very dangerous.

I'm intrigued. He wants to move out of Germany and he wants 1st team football. If we sell Charly, Tall Paul and ABK then I could see us making a move for him. Berger reported the fee was only €13m - €14m.

I would classify this in the "insane signing" category, if it were pulled off.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/youssoufa-moukoko/profil/spieler/467720

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

There's no way they're getting over 30 goals between them, I think realistically 20 give or take a couple

Yep - I was probably being too optimistic - but 6 or 7 each seemed to pessimistic.  8 to  10 each it is then.

Armstrong - 12

BBD - 10

Archer - 8

Edozie/Sulemana/Dibbling/Amo Ameyaw - 2

Smallbone / Aribo / Fernandes - 6

Downes and Les - 1

KWP / Suga / Taylor / Manning / Bree - 2

Centre backs- 5

That's 46 goals. Decent chance of staying up.

You don't need someone scoring a shitload, you just need someone to take the chances we get and also to maximise set pieces as far as possible. Of course, if someone does score a shit load then that's largely the difference between bottom half and top half.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like Alcarez deal is close to being done and Bella Kotchap still in talks with other clubs so could soon see another £25-£30m in the coffers. Maybe closer to £40m if we can find a buyer for TP. 

5 minutes ago, benjii said:

Armstrong - 12

BBD - 10

Archer - 8

Edozie/Sulemana/Dibbling/Amo Ameyaw - 2

Smallbone / Aribo / Fernandes - 6

Downes and Les - 1

KWP / Suga / Taylor / Manning / Bree - 2

Centre backs- 5

That's 46 goals. Decent chance of staying up.

You don't need someone scoring a shitload, you just need someone to take the chances we get and also to maximise set pieces as far as possible. Of course, if someone does score a shit load then that's largely the difference between bottom half and top half.

No way is Armstrong getting anywhere close to 12 goals this season.

• Like 4

Edit - sorry, meant to quote @Luke SkyWalker-Peters here

Agree - would be really exciting.

As you allude to, the rest of our business is dependent on sales so still very much to be decided.

If we can shift some of ABK, Charlie, Tall Paul, Sulemana and KWP for decent sums we could still have a fair bit to play with, especially if the new GK is a loan rather than permanent.

O’Riley, Ings, Moukoko, Nketiah, Fraser, Asprilla and many others … even JWP - all conceivably available/likely to transfer somewhere this window. 
As it stands we have 1xPL loan, 2x other loans and depending on sales possibly a fair wad of cash. We’re not done yet IMHO

Edited by Chewy