Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, redkeith said:

I think that playing in the Turkish league gives the players Visa points so that they can get a work permit for the season after. Much like Brighton did with Mitoma.

I think that's it. We sign players who aren't PL ready yet, and won't get a work permit/visa, so send them to get kicked about a bit in Turkey while earning the points to get a work permit/visa. 

The bonus is that we've probably structured the deal to make it FFP friendly. 

This kid was wanted by Wolves for 18 mil so he won't be a sack of shite.

Seems like decent business. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Ramsdale will cost us £10m for the year when you take into account fee and wages, but he's an established PL keeper and as you say not injury prone, so definitely the better option imo

👍 10 mill. all in all for that one year - how financially mad it may sound - could be worth every pound. Would certainly make me less nervous than buying the injury prone Dutch keeper. 
I expect Wolves to struggle this season, so Wolves potentially signing Ramsdale on loan sounds very bad in my years.

I'm in the camp where i think it makes perfect sense to do this deal and sell Alcaraz for an amount that will not see us lose money on our original purchase. I like Charly and have love the flashes of brilliance i've seen BUT they have been so far and few to suggest he will ever make it in England.

If we sell Alcaraz for the rumoured $18 mill what is there not to like about receiving this or something close for a player that will not feature for us this season??

Then add into the equation we are also getting a very highly rated youngster (that Wolves were interested in buying) as part of the deal who even if he didnt work out would be sold for pure profit. Again for Southampton what is there not to like?

Too many on here have a real problem with this multi club ownership and and appear blinkered on how it could benefit Southampton in the long run.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, egg said:

I think that's it. We sign players who aren't PL ready yet, and won't get a work permit/visa, so send them to get kicked about a bit in Turkey while earning the points to get a work permit/visa. 

The bonus is that we've probably structured the deal to make it FFP friendly. 

This kid was wanted by Wolves for 18 mil so he won't be a sack of shite.

Seems like decent business. 

Hopefully - if the transfer happens 👍

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

TBF he's only weak with long passing apparently because he never does it. 

That's not how Whoscored calculates strengths and weaknesses. It only lists a strength or weakness if something happens often enough to have a decent sample size of success or failure. 

50 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

I think it has since changed to €18m and Hugo on loan as opposed to permanently. We paid €13m or so for Charly so €18-20m for a player that has barely played for us or Juve in the last year is decent business. Charly is worth nowhere near €30m

Racing have a 15% sell on fee if Charly is sold for over €12.3m according to Argentinian media. 

So we'd be looking at €15.3m at the €18m quoted.

14 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

I'm in the camp where i think it makes perfect sense to do this deal and sell Alcaraz for an amount that will not see us lose money on our original purchase. I like Charly and have love the flashes of brilliance i've seen BUT they have been so far and few to suggest he will ever make it in England.

If we sell Alcaraz for the rumoured $18 mill what is there not to like about receiving this or something close for a player that will not feature for us this season??

Then add into the equation we are also getting a very highly rated youngster (that Wolves were interested in buying) as part of the deal who even if he didnt work out would be sold for pure profit. Again for Southampton what is there not to like?

Too many on here have a real problem with this multi club ownership and and appear blinkered on how it could benefit Southampton in the long run.

SR come in for a lot of flack but some of it is because we  are ignorant about this system and the way it can work for our good. Even the red hot critics must admit SR are funding us in the market whereas the Chinese fellow never invested a penny

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Racing have a 15% sell on fee if Charly is sold for over €12.3m according to Argentinian media. 

We signed him for €13.65m. I guess it's profit!

That's a decent move for Shea in a season he wasn't going to get much of a look in for us, playing for Rohl at a club with an upwardly outlook. The big price tag was never his fault and it was a mad punt from us to put so much money down on a player with almost no experience after we'd just been relegated. I have to say a couple of times I saw him early last season and it looked like the game was just passing him by but he did get a bit better by the end of the season. It doesn't help that Russ didn't trust him when Flynn got injured and instead was playing Will out of position. I wish him all the best and hope he comes back a better player for it - if we do go down we'll need him.

• Like 1

I wish we were Ipswich.. 😉

It's a big step up to the Premier League from the Championship, some will make it, others won't. You get a split second longer in that league that you just won't get in the Prem. It's a big risk, but they're having a go at it.

If we can get another keeper (which looks very likely) and O'Riley then it's been a pretty successful window.

7 minutes ago, SfcPhil said:

I wish we were Ipswich.. 😉

It's a big step up to the Premier League from the Championship, some will make it, others won't. You get a split second longer in that league that you just won't get in the Prem. It's a big risk, but they're having a go at it.

If we can get another keeper (which looks very likely) and O'Riley then it's been a pretty successful window.

Isn't O'Riley off to Brighton? I still think we will end up with another centre forward. 

Just now, goodymatt said:

I think plenty of Ipswich signings would have been well received if we had signed them. They are having a really good go and I’m hoping that isn’t to our detriment. 

Who else's detriment would it be to? They're direct rivals in the relegation battle. Our only hope is that their Championship all-stars can't make the step up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, sfc4prem said:

Who else's detriment would it be to? They're direct rivals in the relegation battle. Our only hope is that their Championship all-stars can't make the step up.

Well there could be a situation where we both stay up. Unlikely, but all 3 promoted teams managed it when we last went down. Points deduction for Leicester probably relegated them, 2 more spaces to fill.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint Scott said:

Its likely to be 15% on the excess over 12.3M tbh rather than 15% of the full 18M

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Ipswich have spent over 100m already and theres still a week of the window to go

They can chuck much more money at it than us and Leicester. Not hindered at all by PSR just yet. 

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Ipswich spending madly doesn’t always mean it’ll pay off

They've spent the same amount as us now.

I'll be honest, it looks like they have beaten us to a few players:

• We must have had interest in Muric, we still don't have a GK.
  • I think we clearly wanted Delap, then signed Archer after he went to them.
  • It seems like we were interested in Clarke, but went for the much cheaper option of BBD instead (possibly in part due to Sulemana's injury).

I suspect as they have many players on very cheap contracts having been in League One two years ago, that they have been able to offer very good salaries to their incomings compared to us and Leicester. The Kalvin Phillips loan supports that too, they must have room under the wage bill.

I really fancy Ipswich to stay up this year. McKenna is an extremely good manager and I think they have bought really well this window. Right now I'd fancy them to beat us on the pitch (not a surprise perhaps with the results last season), but their depth does worry me over the season. Many teams have gone down due to a lack of depth.

On us, I like all the business we've done. I think that we have added good quality to the squad that suit Martin's (and Sport Republic's) style of play. If we do go down we should be in a good position to come back up again.

However, we have just not quite had the few marquee signings that I would have liked. O'Riley, Carvalho or Moukoko... someone with real quality that would scare the opposition. As I said, I like every player signed and every deal made, but our team just lacks that 1 or 2 players that are going to keep the opposition up at night. I do think Bijlow could somewhat fit the bill as a player that is far better than our level (when fit), but I'd like us to have a goalscoring threat too.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

They've spent the same amount as us now.

I'll be honest, it looks like they have beaten us to a few players:

• We must have had interest in Muric, we still don't have a GK.
  • I think we clearly wanted Delap, then signed Archer after he went to them.
  • It seems like we were interested in Clarke, but went for the much cheaper option of BBD instead (possibly in part due to Sulemana's injury).

I suspect as they have many players on very cheap contracts having been in League One two years ago, that they have been able to offer very good salaries to their incomings compared to us and Leicester. The Kalvin Phillips loan supports that too, they must have room under the wage bill.

I really fancy Ipswich to stay up this year. McKenna is an extremely good manager and I think they have bought really well this window. Right now I'd fancy them to beat us on the pitch (not a surprise perhaps with the results last season), but their depth does worry me over the season. Many teams have gone down due to a lack of depth.

On us, I like all the business we've done. I think that we have added good quality to the squad that suit Martin's (and Sport Republic's) style of play. If we do go down we should be in a good position to come back up again.

However, we have just not quite had the few marquee signings that I would have liked. O'Riley, Carvalho or Moukoko... someone with real quality that would scare the opposition. As I said, I like every player signed and every deal made, but our team just lacks that 1 or 2 players that are going to keep the opposition up at night. I do think Bijlow could somewhat fit the bill as a player that is far better than our level (when fit), but I'd like us to have a goalscoring threat too.

Delap is the only one they have beaten us to. The others would haven’t put bids in for so not sure how we can have lost out on them?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Ipswich spending madly doesn’t always mean it’ll pay off

I don’t think they’re spending madly. Fees are on the high side but wages are likely realistic and with relegation wage drops. Much like us it’s hard to argue with the logic behind most of their signings- some fees feel a tad inflated. Either these players thrive and establish themselves as premier league players or they have a team very well equipped to bounce back.

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

I think plenty of Ipswich signings would have been well received if we had signed them. They are having a really good go and I’m hoping that isn’t to our detriment. 

I just look forward to their 100m going down the drain as they are relegated and we can get all these stars at discounted prices 

• Like 1

Bijlow is about to make the switch to Southampton. Feyenoord and the English have negotiated a transfer fee today and are expecting white smoke soon. Let Insider know that a final agreement is expected tonight or Friday. In view of Bijlow's situation, General Manager Dennis te Kloese wants to participate in a transfer, but there must be a competitive price.

Feyenoord is willing to think along with the Premier League club. The possibility that Bijlow will spend the rest of the season on a rental basis for Southampton is one of the options. However, a mandatory purchase option must be included in the agreement. 

I guess too late for forest game unless Martin is happy to throw him in ?

Edited by Convict Colony

3 hours ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

I seriously doubt Ipswich will be succesful for the third season in a row - now being a prem team - after so many years away from the elite division. 

I completely agree, they had the momentum as a team after their L1 promotion in the championship and they then got off to a flyer in the champs (won 10 games before Nov) and just maintained a good mix of results after to xmas and then did good business in Jan to re-energise themselves it while ourselves and leeds were our own worst victims.

I think Ipswich did excellently as a club overall from exec's downwards and they were a consistent 8/10 most weeks but i dont see this carrying on and Leif Davis had 18 assists last season, so target him and make him defend and ipswich's most creative outlet by far stops working.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Bijlow is about to make the switch to Southampton.

I guess too late for forest game unless Martin is happy to throw him in ?

Cardiff on Wednesday maybe. No chance RM will throw him in to play tippy tappy passes with defenders he doesn’t even recognise. Although in fairness unlikely to be worse than McCarthy at Newcastle 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

However, we have just not quite had the few marquee signings that I would have liked. O'Riley, Carvalho or Moukoko... someone with real quality that would scare the opposition. 

You can add Asprilla to that list. If we had the money and the prices weren't so high, him and Carvalho were my preferences.

Not sure our front three are terribly scary. However, in THB, Downes, Sugawara and Fernandez, maybe we have bought genuine premiership quality.

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

You can add Asprilla to that list. If we had the money and the prices weren't so high, him and Carvalho were my preferences.

Not sure our front three are terribly scary. However, in THB, Downes, Sugawara and Fernandez, maybe we have bought genuine premiership quality.

Yeah I agree. We've done good business but not unbelievable. Maybe we could get one more attacking signing in to finish things off before the end of the window. 

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

isnt he a bit old now ? but purely for his drip sign me up.

ON THIS DAY 1996: Faustino Asprilla 'signs' for Newcastle ...

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yeah I agree. We've done good business but not unbelievable. Maybe we could get one more attacking signing in to finish things off before the end of the window. 

Its not a transfer window unless we do an "insane" bit of business, maybe 1 to come ?

10 hours ago, Saint Scott said:

Wonder if he’ll want to come back at the end of the season if he plays regularly there.

Just hope it isn’t a Tella situation of clubs also changing places.