Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

7 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

So we're loaning Ramsdale, assuming we're buying Bijlow to send him for a seasons loan to Goztepe? :lol:

If we loan Ramsdale, that means resorting to Bazunu next season. If we buy Bijlow, we have genuine competition for Bazunu for the next couple of seasons or more. For me it's a no-brainer - Bijlow for the extended competition, but I think the club would rather bring in a loanee for the season - which means Ramsdale. Enjoy him for the short term I guess.

8 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

If we loan Ramsdale, that means resorting to Bazunu next season. If we buy Bijlow, we have genuine competition for Bazunu for the next couple of seasons or more. For me it's a no-brainer - Bijlow for the extended competition, but I think the club would rather bring in a loanee for the season - which means Ramsdale. Enjoy him for the short term I guess.

Big wages though…..

2 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

Big wages though…..

If it's the difference between safety and relegation at the end of the season it will have been worth every penny.

• Like 5

Just me that would prefer Bijlow to Ramsdale? Ramsdale is renowned for not being able to use his feet properly. If we're going to play this way, may as well go all in. I can imagine Ramsdale's wages being a lot more too even if we're only covering a percentage.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Just me that would prefer Bijlow to Ramsdale? Ramsdale is renowned for not being able to use his feet properly. If we're going to play this way, may as well go all in. I can imagine Ramsdale's wages being a lot more too even if we're only covering a percentage.

Be happy either way to be honest. Ramsdale more expensive, Bijlow with injury concerns. Both have a flaw but both are monumental upgrades.

The one worry I'd have with Ramsdale is that if it's a loan where we don't sign him at the end, do we just go back to Bazunu? At least with Bijlow you'd assume that he'd be the starter for the foreseeable. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

If Charley's off and there's a player coming our way in exchange to be loaned to Goztepe...How come we keep loaning to Goztepe and never SR's other club?

Probably because they are in third tier of French Football. 

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Be happy either way to be honest. Ramsdale more expensive, Bijlow with injury concerns. Both have a flaw but both are monumental upgrades.

The one worry I'd have with Ramsdale is that if it's a loan where we don't sign him at the end, do we just go back to Bazunu? At least with Bijlow you'd assume that he'd be the starter for the foreseeable. 

Exactly that. I'm a Bazunu fan but he is nowhere near ready to be first choice keeper. Probably won't be for at least 2-3 years. That had crossed my mind as being another benefit of Bijlow. Though I guess if he's injured a lot, Baz might play more games anyway.

Not saying I'd be actively unhappy with Ramsdale btw.

• Like 2

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

Probably because they are in third tier of French Football. 

All the more reason to help them out. I'd imagine the goal for SR is to have all their clubs in their respective top flights.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

All the more reason to help them out. I'd imagine the goal for SR is to have all their clubs in their respective top flights.

I think Valenciennes have been relegated two seasons in a row? SR have got a lot to do to turn them around..

11 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

If Charley's off and there's a player coming our way in exchange to be loaned to Goztepe...How come we keep loaning to Goztepe and never SR's other club?

This is starting to take the piss tbh.. we can’t even compete with Ipswich on transfer fees but are happy to keep feeding goztepe .:we are taking less for Alcaraz to take a inferior player ti loan out .. SR are as dodgy as gao 

• Confused 1

Just now, pimpin4rizeal said:

This is starting to take the piss tbh.. we can’t even compete with Ipswich on transfer fees but are happy to keep feeding goztepe .:we are taking less for Alcaraz to take a inferior player ti loan out .. SR are as dodgy as gao 

Really confused as to why this has everybody so rattled?

We're taking a young player who had an £18m bid from a PL club last year, and putting him out to a good league to develop for a season whilst we're able to take a good look at him and see if he'll fit our system the year after?

If he does, great. If he doesn't, there'll likely be a resale value on the player so it seems extremely unlikely we won't receive any financial value from the part exchange.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

We're taking a young player who had an £18m bid from a PL club last year, and putting him out to a good league to develop for a season whilst we're able to take a good look at him and see if he'll fit our system the year after?

If he does, great. If he doesn't, there'll likely be a resale value on the player so it seems extremely unlikely we won't receive any financial value from the part exchange.

We’re getting our pants pulled down.  Just give us the cash and keep your dud players.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Nonsense

Sport Republic have invested a lot of money, Gao didn't invest a single penny.

Saints have spent a lot of money this summer and in their previous PL season under Sport Republic. 

The Alcaraz replacement has already been signed.

Göztepe and Valenciennes doing well benefits Saints and vice versa. So helping them, helps us.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hopper said:

Bijlow, for me is the better fit. Ball playing keeper and at a decent price permanently. Definitely seems like a bit of deal sealing rumor-mongering.

Should read .... Bijlow, for me is the better fit. Ball playing keeper and often injured .

Thinks he ticks two of our critical boxes.

22 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Because the level of the Süper Lig is far above the 3rd Division of French football. The players we are loaning out are being loaned with a view to bring them back to the senior squad.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Because the level of the Süper Lig is far above the 3rd Division of French football. The players we are loaning out are being loaned with a view to bring them back to the senior squad.

I think that playing in the Turkish league gives the players Visa points so that they can get a work permit for the season after. Much like Brighton did with Mitoma.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I think the idea is players go to Goztepe to develop, and if they’re deemed good enough, we can then sign them. French 3rd tier is way too low to establish a player’s quality. 

12 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

A lot will depend on the valuation of Victor Hugo.  Let's say we value Hugo at 18M (not unreasonable if that's what Wolves bid for him) + 7M.  That puts the deal for Alcaraz at a healthy 25M but the vast majority of that is tied up with Hugo out on loan at Goztepe and not really helping our finances or our ability to sign players this summer.  Personally I'd rather it was a straight cash deal and think it's probably pretty unlikely Hugo will play for us.  

4 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

I think he's being sarcastic and is trying to take the piss out of my Brighton season ticket holding tractor drivers - but I also guess he doesn't know my farm is 15 miles from Falmer.

Your name is Bob Copper and I claim my £5..;-)

12 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

A lot will depend on the valuation of Victor Hugo.  Let's say we value Hugo at 18M (not unreasonable if that's what Wolves bid for him) + 7M.  That puts the deal for Alcaraz at a healthy 25M but the vast majority of that is tied up with Hugo out on loan at Goztepe and not really helping our finances or our ability to sign players this summer.  Personally I'd rather it was a straight cash deal and think it's probably pretty unlikely Hugo will play for us.  

All depends how the deal is structured.

If we sell them Alcaraz for £25m then sign Hugo back from them at £18m on a 3 year contract, then that means we're only recording a £6m outlay on this year's books but receiving the full £25m for Charly, resulting in a £19m 'profit' for this year as far as FFP is concerned. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Interesting. Ramsdale's the better goalkeeper, Bijlow's better with the ball at his feet. There's big positives and small negatives for either.

Is this going to be another Ramos and Gakpo situation, where we end up with neither?

🤷🏼‍♂️

Screenshot_20240822-191009.png

2 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Yeah I'm not sure that's entirely accurate actually 

My cousin is a massive Arsenal fan and he told me that the general consensus amongst his mates is that Ramsdale is both the better shot-stopper and has a better short passing game when in comparison to Raya. He believes Raya's ability to ping long passes is what gets him in the XI over Ramsdale. Just one person's perspective but I was surprised he felt that way as I was too lead to believe that Ramsdale was a bit of a liability with the ball at his feet.

6 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

All depends how the deal is structured.

If we sell them Alcaraz for £25m then sign Hugo back from them at £18m on a 3 year contract, then that means we're only recording a £6m outlay on this year's books but receiving the full £25m for Charly, resulting in a £19m 'profit' for this year as far as FFP is concerned. 

Yeah, I purposely didn't mention FFP/PSR for exactly that reason.  Whilst you can do a bit of sleight of hand with the books, the end result in cash terms is you only have 7M rather than 25M. Plus of course Victor Hugo who may (or not) be worth it,

Edited by revolution saint

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, I purposely didn't mention FFP/PSR for exactly that reason.  Whilst you can do a bit of sleight of hand with the books, the end result in cash terms is you only have 7M rather than 25M. 

Is the Ramsdale talk just talk or is there a real possibility? Thought he was going to Wolves and it was all tied up.

Just now, revolution saint said:

Yeah, I purposely didn't mention FFP/PSR for exactly that reason.  Whilst you can do a bit of sleight of hand with the books, the end result in cash terms is you only have 7M rather than 25M. 

Not quite true. You have £7m plus an £18m asset (that could turn a tidy profit in future).

The only reason the full £25m in our pocket would be better is if we had a cash flow problem, which we apparently don't. 

SR are obviously playing the long game on this one.

• Like 1

According to the Reddit thread, we are receiving €18m euros and Victor Hugo in exchange for Charlie.

Wolves valued Hugo at £20m, plus the ~£15m cash means the total value of Alcaraz is around £35m. 

After getting £10m for Mara, it seems someone at the club is negotiating better deals on sales.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

This would be a good move / stance if we were an established premier league side. Right now, it’s cutting us financially when we need all the money we can to try and stay up.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Not quite true. You have £7m plus an £18m asset (that could turn a tidy profit in future).

The only reason the full £25m in our pocket would be better is if we had a cash flow problem, which we apparently don't. 

SR are obviously playing the long game on this one.

Yes, I edited the original but too late for your reply.  End of the day I'm looking at it in the same way I would any transfer that was a player plus cash deal.  Is the player being offered any good, and do we need him?  It's subjective of course but he didn't impress me enough to think he was better than cash we could spend elsewhere.

• Like 1

From the Reddit thread:

Flamengo fan here. Victor Hugo has been massively sabotaged by our club, something that happens to everyone of our academy players nowadays. I'm confident Vini Jr wouldn't get playtime if he was coming up now, especially with our trashcan of a coach who sabotaged current-level Vini at the freaking World Cup.

Victor Hugo carries the ball really well, is capable of beating his man, is phisically developed for his age, has a knack for getting into the box and scoring. The problem is that his confidence is shot since he barely plays and our coach hates youngsters, so he hasn't been doing these things in the rare instances he gets a chance. He was never given time to develop, but he's only 20 and started featuring for us at 18. He's not a player to be involved in a trade, he was supposed to go for 20M minimum, so if you develop him you'll be good. [13 upvotes]

24 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

According to the Reddit thread, we are receiving €18m euros and Victor Hugo in exchange for Charlie.

Wolves valued Hugo at £20m, plus the ~£15m cash means the total value of Alcaraz is around £35m. 

After getting £10m for Mara, it seems someone at the club is negotiating better deals on sales.

I think it has since changed to €18m and Hugo on loan as opposed to permanently. We paid €13m or so for Charly so €18-20m for a player that has barely played for us or Juve in the last year is decent business. Charly is worth nowhere near €30m

11 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

All long range passes. Something our keepers just don't do. 

Bazunu has a quality long pass, which we saw plenty of. (18.6% of his passes were long balls)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Ramsdale must be very hungry for playing, and personnally I'd rather see him signing om loan for a year - than an injury prone keeper proven elsewhere (Eresdivisie) at a price of 10 million pounds. We don't have the best experiences with injury prone players.

So - I think I'd rather loan Ramsdale for a year for 5 million than buying the Dutch man for 10.

Edited by Kristian Loekkegaard
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

Ramsdale must be very hungry for playing, and personnally I'd rather see him signing om loan for a year - than an injury prone keeper proven elsewhere (Eresdivisie) at a price of 10 million pounds. We don't have the best experiences with injury prone players.

So - I think I'd rather loan Ramsdale for a year for 5 million than buying the Dutch man for 10.

Ramsdale will cost us £10m for the year when you take into account fee and wages, but he's an established PL keeper and as you say not injury prone, so definitely the better option imo

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

How is the value of a part exchange player worked out for the purposes of FFP? 

If it was in any way beneficial, Todd Boehly would already be doing it