Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

10 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

It says we sign him as part of the Alcaraz sale and then we’re loaning him to Goztepe? So we’re taking a haircut on our incoming fee for Alcaraz to benefit Goztepe.

No. This is literally the point of a multi club model. We are trialling the player for a year, seeing if he is suitable for our setup and then if he is we will buy him and if he isn't we will send him back with very little risk to us. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Sure but on the flip side of the coin we brought in Fernandes up front without selling a player so it's swings and roundabouts.

As mentioned he's a saints player on loan, still an asset for us to sell on if he doesn't meet our needs down the road.

Hmm, when we’re sailing close to the PSR line and every penny we have really needs to go towards trying to stay up, wasting £7-10m on a fee to the benefit of Goztepe I don’t get.

Dont mind freebies or cheap gambles, but this feels like a step too far.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

No. This is literally the point of a multi club model. We are trialling the player for a year, seeing if he is suitable for our setup and then if he is we will buy him and if he isn't we will send him back with very little risk to us. 

What do you mean we will buy him in a year? It says we are buying him as part of the Alcaraz deal.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Agreed this is how the multi club model will benefit us. On the surface it's easy to say 'Oh we're just wasting our budget on players for Goztepe'. But the realit is it opens the pathway for 'riskier' investments especially when we're now scouting more in south america and Japan.

If some of these additions live up to expectations in Turkey it's an easy in and helps out massively for profit and sustainability in the long term.

And it lessens our exposure whe and you get a carillo type player and we end up paying him in wages and can't get rid of him. Too many of them and it drags the entire club down. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Are we not buying him now?

52 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

He was a bit hard done by here TBH. When he first came in, he filled in a bit at CB and RB, don’t think he ever really had a run in his preferred defensive midfield position. The fee we paid seemed to effect the fans views of him, wasnt his fault we overpaid.

I think there’s a player in there and a season with you guys playing regularly will do both sides a world of good. 

Just to provide a little more detail, he played RB in one game and CB two games, all the other games it was in central midfield. He was in and out of the side, with four consecutive starts the longest run.

I don't think he is particularly hard done by on here. His performances have been assessed in comparison with other first teamers. There are certainly questions about the fee and what else it could have been spent on - Winks being some people's preference. He has then been given some leeway as he is very young and still learning. Compared to Sulemana, who is absolutely slated on here, he got off lightly.

I agree with you that it's a good move for everyone.

16 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Hmm, when we’re sailing close to the PSR line and every penny we have really needs to go towards trying to stay up, wasting £7-10m on a fee to the benefit of Goztepe I don’t get.

Dont mind freebies or cheap gambles, but this feels like a step too far.

I don't think we're as close to the PSR line as many on here fear. The fact we dropped £15M on Mateus and likely £10M ish on Bijlow on top of the bits we've already done suggests there is more headroom than many think. (I believe this belief is probably driven mainly by us not going in on MOR for £25M)

If he returns from his loan next year and is as-good or better than Charley plus we get some cash on top that only strengthens the PSR position.

Edited by Hopper
  • Like 1

Loving the mix of ‘we need to be more like Brighton!’ vs ‘why are we spending all our money on Goztepe!’ as we take an approach that is much more Brighton…

A multi club model is not going to reap success overnight, and i’m sure instant relegation for the flagship team (us) was not part of any strategy, so it’s going to take some time.

Edited by saintwbu
  • Like 7

33 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not sure why some are finding it difficult to understand. Absolutely nobody is giving us 40 million for Alcaraz and we can't afford to have an asset like him largely sat on the bench most weeks. 

Not sure why some people think playing in Turkey means he could cope with playing in Prem or Championship!

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

In the meantime we are down a player who has, at a very young age, shown glimpses of ability in the Prem and is one of our only naturally creative players. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

In the meantime we are down a player who has, at a very young age, shown glimpses of ability in the Prem and is one of our only naturally creative players. 

Well hopefully the 18m will be used to recruit which I think we will 

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Well hopefully the 18m will be used to recruit which I think we will 

Fernandes is probably the Alcaraz replacement. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

To be fair, while he may have shown glimpses, overall his contribution to goals or assists has been mediocre at best. We need more…much more.

38 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Are we not buying him now?

The other tweet I saw said he would be loaned out to Goztepe. If it is the case that we are buying him first then it's possible that he wouldn't he t a work permit without going to Turkey first. Either way the multi club model is doing its job. 

14 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I expect Alcaraz and his representatives have little interest in him having a bit part role off the bench in a system he doesn't fully suit. 

Interested to know why nobody in Europe has come in for Charly. Is it known that he wants a move back to South America and that's why Saints are putting in the effort of trying to get this Flamengo deal to be as amenable as possible? Would tie in with RM saying he was having family issues and there's the fact he's never learned the language

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The other tweet I saw said he would be loaned out to Goztepe. If it is the case that we are buying him first then it's possible that he wouldn't he t a work permit without going to Turkey first. Either way the multi club model is doing its job. 

Question: Does the multi club model work between players and clubs if they have a big difference in standard? 
Looking at VA for example.

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

Question: Does the multi club model work between players and clubs if they have a big difference in standard? 
Looking at VA for example.

Maybe they will be the feeder club for another one of the club's in the chain. Wasn't there a rumour of an Irish club? 

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Maybe they will be the feeder club for another one of the club's in the chain. Wasn't there a rumour of an Irish club? 

What is standard of Turkish league ? Gala/Fenerbache Prem level? what are rest is it competitive and better than our Championship 

16 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

To be fair, while he may have shown glimpses, overall his contribution to goals or assists has been mediocre at best. We need more…much more.

Last season in the Prem he got more goals than Stuart or Adam Armstrong Aribo, Sulemana. Last season he was shipped out before we even got going. 

I refuse to agree with anyone who says we are better off with Smallbone in that attacking midfield role than Alcaraz.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

What is standard of Turkish league ? Gala/Fenerbache Prem level? what are rest is it competitive and better than our Championship 

Well it's 10th in the uefa rankings just below Portugal and Belgium so I expect it's a pretty good standard. By comparison Scotland are 17th.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Yeah pretty much - it is somewhere between 9th and 11th in the UEFA coefficient rankings putting it close to Czechia, Belgium and Norway. I would say the main benefit is that it provides work permit points for otherwise ineligible players - a la Kuryu Matsuki. 

Personally I found the answer at the recent forum interesting about the network of coaches having regular meetings to discuss tactics and try to learn from each other. From what I can see Goztepe are playing a similar formation to ours this season (and you would say they are in a relatively similar position fighting to stay up) - they have started quite well using that formation and given the similarities in terms of context, I am fully on the side of 'this is a good thing' camp - testing players out in that context, in a familiar formation, with a coach who is semi-regular contact with Russel Martin. Early days yet of course it must be said, but I'm taking the glass half full side. 

• Like 2

Last season in the Prem he got more goals than Stuart or Adam Armstrong Aribo, Sulemana. Last season he was shipped out before we even got going. 

I refuse to agree with anyone who says we are better off with Smallbone in that attacking midfield role than Alcaraz.

Hard to argue with that

• Like 2

Most fans find Charly exciting, but it’s pretty difficult to find a place for a player in a possession based game when he constantly gives possession away..

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Most fans find Charly exciting, but it’s pretty difficult to find a place for a player in a possession based game when he constantly gives possession away..

Exactly this he can be exciting and a liability at the same time. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Smallbone isn't exciting but he is dependable and highly underrated in my opinion. 7 goals and 4 assists last year including the assist that brought us up. I don't see him as the creative attacking option in midfield, he's much more the 8 (Along with Mateus).

We still need to replace Charley with a bonafide 10 that can push Aribo for a place.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Last season he was dispossessed less times per game than (again) either Stuart or Adam Armstrong, Aribo, SAA and KWP. He was only slightly worse than Flynn Downes. 

He passed the ball to opponents less than S.Armstrong, THB, KWP and funnily enough, Smallbone and the same amount as Stephens. 

(This is all using opta stats btw)

I'm just sick of this transfer strategy of signing younger players to develop and then ditching them before they're given the chance to.

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Last season he was dispossessed less times per game than (again) either Stuart or Adam Armstrong, Aribo, SAA and KWP. He was only slightly worse than Flynn Downes. 

He passed the ball to opponents less than S.Armstrong, THB, KWP and funnily enough, Smallbone and the same amount as Stephens. 

I'm just sick of this transfer strategy of signing younger players to develop and then ditching them before they're given the chance to.

Who else does that apply to? 

21 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I get the frustration but if Martin doesn't want him then there's no point keeping him. 

Not sure what other younger players we've ditched though?  Moreso young players ditching us!  There's Mara & potentially Sulemana I suppose... 

I note that Sky are describing the Ramsdale loan discussion as 'Loan with option to buy' ie

• Arsenal get their player bought; which they want. 
  • We get a solution that is more flexible for our finances over the next season or two.

Also as suggested it might just be a negotiating tactic for Bijlow. 

Either way we would end up with a high quality no2 from a national side who is trying to impress enough to be in the no1 shirt.

Interesting. Ramsdale's the better goalkeeper, Bijlow's better with the ball at his feet. There's big positives and small negatives for either.

Is this going to be another Ramos and Gakpo situation, where we end up with neither?

3 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I note that Sky are describing the Ramsdale loan discussion as 'Loan with option to buy' ie

• Arsenal get their player bought; which they want. 
  • We get a solution that is more flexible for our finances over the next season or two.

Also as suggested it might just be a negotiating tactic for Bijlow. 

Either way we would end up with a high quality no2 from a national side who is trying to impress enough to be in the no1 shirt.

Exactly. If we want Feyenoord to sell, our offer can’t Bijlow. 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Maybe Ramsdale on loan would give us enough extra cash to pay for someone like Clarke? 

Not sure I trust the fitness of Sunderland players right now look at the last duffer we've lumbered ourselves with