Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Lis to Goztepe pretty much confirms Bijlow on a permanent deal to be announced imminently I'd assume.

Nice to have a proven keeper between the sticks. He won't be perfect no keeper is but I'll feel much more confident knowing that Macca will be 3rd choice at best when Gav is fit. 

Feels like we've had a sneaky good window and with a week to go I think there may be 1 or 2 more in attacking areas to come.

• Like 5

Just now, Hopper said:

Lis to Goztepe pretty much confirms Bijlow on a permanent deal to be announced imminently I'd assume.

Nice to have a proven keeper between the sticks. He won't be perfect no keeper is but I'll feel much more confident knowing that Macca will be 3rd choice at best when Gav is fit. 

Feels like we've had a sneaky good window and with a week to go I think there may be 1 or 2 more in attacking areas to come.

If it's Biljow, we just need to pray that his multiple injury problems are in the past. We're still taking a big risk there IMO. Personally I can't believe that there isn't a keeper out there who is within our price range, is decent enough with hands and feet and doesn't have a history of injuries. But Saints do so love to be cleverer than everyone else and take a risk with injury-prone players, so time will tell. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

If it's Biljow, we just need to pray that his multiple injury problems are in the past. We're still taking a big risk there IMO. Personally I can't believe that there isn't a keeper out there who is within our price range, is decent enough with hands and feet and doesn't have a history of injuries. But Saints do so love to be cleverer than everyone else and take a risk with injury-prone players, so time will tell. 

Yep, this. You'd have thought that the experience with Stewart would have given our recruitment department a  'once bitten, twice shy' mentality, but it would appear not. Obviously hope we have a different outcome with this fella but having reservations is a legitimate concern. Anyway, I'm hearing Biljow will be ready to start "in two weeks", so all good... ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’m not sure it’s about us wanting to be seen to be clever. Based on resources alone and our recent record of poor decisions we can’t compete on an even playing field with many of our rivals. Inevitability we need to try to find value and at times take risks. 

Biljow’s injury record is clearly a concern but we are potentially getting a keeper with international pedigree, at a good age and for what may be (based on rumblings) a good price. I also like that he has a bit of shithousery about him - we have often been accused of being soft and not playing the dark arts as well as other teams - with Biljow, BBD and Stephens I think we will see a bit more on that as part of the culture of our team which to my mind is no bad thing.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, trousers said:

Yep, this. You'd have thought that the experience with Stewart would have given our recruitment department a  'once bitten, twice shy' mentality, but it would appear not. Obviously hope we have a different outcome with this fella but having reservations is a legitimate concern.

Yeah his injury record really isn’t great, averaged 117 days injured over the last 6 seasons, best part of 4 months and that’s not far off half a season. We can only hope that’s he’s going to buck that trend and stay fit for the season, otherwise we may be recruiting for this position again in January!

At least we are signing a player that isn’t injured on arrival so we may see positive contributions from him and if he does stay fit it’s a really good match for our style and a player that has the quality to be Dutch number 1. 

Can we just get lucky for once? I’d say our survival might heavily depend on his fitness and it’s a risk we don’t need to take, as much as I like this player when fit as a match and improvement for Saints.

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

'Southampton has millions to spend on Bijlow'

Seems like a good solution for everyone.

Great club with a coach who uses the same ball possession principles as Slot, which Bijlow feels comfortable with, and they have enough money to pay a good transfer fee and to meet Bijlow's salary demands.

At Feyenoord he is the absolute top earner and (+ to a lesser extent due to the departure of Lopez and Pedersen) a lot of salary is suddenly freed up to continue with 1-3 direct reinforcements (incl. new goalkeeper) and a possible extension of Geertruida. [76 upvotes]

Indeed. There is a good chance that he will just stay fit now and everyone will kick themselves later, but Feyenoord cannot continue to take that gamble.

Wellenreuther is a very solid keeper who also makes mistakes now and then but is relatively reliable and comfortable with a high line in front of him. I wonder what we will wear behind him. [32 upvotes]

I don't really think so. Southampton is my second club that I follow, so I can confirm the things that I say. They need a goalkeeper who is ready to go right away, and preferably someone as a temporary stopgap until Bazunu is fit again. He is the project that Southampton have invested a lot in and the number 1 for the long term. Bijlow's injury history really doesn't fit in with that.[6 upvotes]

Well, I still prefer Bijlow as first keeper, but his injuries have become a continuous issue. I honestly think he is better than Wellenreuther, but unfortunately it is probably the best for both parties [25 upvotes]

He is, but he also earns a lot more than Wellenreuther and Feyenoord can no longer afford to have him out again, while his salary could have also been used to pay for good field reinforcements. [10 upvotes]

Great opportunity for Bijlow. He is a better keeper than Wellenreuther but his salary is increasing, so a departure is logical. Hopefully he will actually become the first keeper there and he will remain injury-free.

Also like a nice farewell in De Kuip. Real club man and still successful with multiple titles, cups and Cruijff cups. Will miss him. [6 upvotes]

Southampton have blind scouts? [1 upvote]

------------------

I think it may be a mis-interoperation to just describe this discussion as "Southampton have blind scouts?" Only quoting this line is like away fans reading Wade's entertaining pre-match rant and believing all Saints fans hate their city 😉

The general consensus is that a player who's continuously injured is a luxury Feyenoord can no longer afford, but they wish him well at Southampton and hope that he can overcome his injury issues. 

18 minutes ago, trousers said:

Yep, this. You'd have thought that the experience with Stewart would have given our recruitment department a  'once bitten, twice shy' mentality, but it would appear not. Obviously hope we have a different outcome with this fella but having reservations is a legitimate concern. Anyway, I'm hearing Biljow will be ready to start "in two weeks", so all good... ;)

When I read that, and had seen his injury record it came as no surprise that we'd sign a player just coming back from injury. I was just moving onto the next post when I went "wait a minute" 🙂

14 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

I’m not sure it’s about us wanting to be seen to be clever. Based on resources alone and our recent record of poor decisions we can’t compete on an even playing field with many of our rivals. Inevitability we need to try to find value and at times take risks.

Just to be devil's advocate here. If the record of poor decisions, which were based on SR being smarter than your average club owning bear, has resulted in us having to take risks, knowing what the record has been, then something more fundamental might be the issue.

Which I think has kind of happened. SR implemented a strategy not fit for the overhaul required. A panic window and loan debt and relegation just sunk us further. But there were, and are positives in there, and you can see the move to a more cohesive squad under Martin.

39 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Can we just get lucky for once? I’d say our survival might heavily depend on his fitness and it’s a risk we don’t need to take, as much as I like this player when fit as a match and improvement for Saints.

This, exactly. Without a proper keeper, we're relegated, it's as simple as that. This guy looks decent, but carries much higher than average risk with respect to a history of injuries. Why even take that risk? I get the point above that we're not able to compete for the Ramsdales of the world, but one notch down from him would do just fine. We've spent £85m so far this window, and we're playing the loan market. It's not like we literally don't have a pot to piss in.

If this guy's calf goes ping again in his second game in, then McCarthy is back in goal and we are utterly, utterly fucked. The stakes (staying in the PL) are about as high as they can be, and despite that, instead of playing the percentages and getting in a solid option like a fit Johnstone or whoever, we're still choosing to take a very big risk where in my opinion we don't have to. 

And surprisingly I don't entirely trust the judgement of our medical team/ medical procedure after the absolute clusterfuck that is Ross Stewart, and now seeing Lallana signed and playing the grand total of zero minutes so far because he's fucking injured, when he's also had a history of injuries. 

I really, really hope this works out, because it doesn't matter how good someone looks on paper and how well they're going to fit into our system if they never play. I just can't believe we're risking it. 

• Like 6

If this guy's calf goes ping again in his second game in, then McCarthy is back in goal and we are utterly, utterly fucked.

I'm willing to bet it goes pop in the first game after the transfer window closes :nod:

2 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Jack Clarke's agent is Ian Harte, the old left-back who played for Reading and Leeds and was good at free-kicks. Sunderland fans really dislike him as he's quite outspoken in the media and said he wants Clarke to move this summer.

Just now, HarvSFC said:

Jack Clarke's agent is Ian Harte, the old left-back who played for Reading and Leeds and was good at free-kicks. Sunderland fans really dislike him as he's quite outspoken in the media and said he wants Clarke to move this summer.

As Leeds slipped down and out of the PL, I remember Harte getting a ton of abuse. As I wasn't paying that much attention to them, it seemed a bit OTT at the time. But perhaps he had that outspoken approach then too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OxfordFanWhoComesInPeace said:

Hi,

Oxford fan here who comes in peace.

Anyone able to shed any light on what kind of player we might be getting?

I'm a little less enthused than some other posters. When he played, always as a holding defensive midfielder, I didn't think he did a great job of providing a shield in front of the back four. He still needs to learn the actual role. I also felt he was too passive and a little too casual too. He has the ability, but he did things in slightly slow motion. Rather than looking like a class above with time to spare, he looked a bit laboured. I felt he just needed to be a bit sharper and a bit busier.

He has the attributes to be a good player, but he wasn't actually 'great' in the championship last season. I felt by the end of the season the manager couldn't trust him to be that DM he needed. Time is very much on his side though. Get a slight improvement and you have got yourself a good signing there.

Best of luck for season. Beat the skates.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 11

If Biljow's fitness history shows he is will be good for just half a season, perhaps the club are anticipating that he will do for the first half, by which time Bazunu will be back to take over when the inevitable injury comes along.

( Hope not )

Edited by badgerx16
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, gio1saints said:

I’m still perplexed about this wide man search.

I believe Saints still feel in Sam Edozie we have a potential superstar.

AA likes to play from the Right Wing. 

BBD likes to play from the Left Wing. 

SAA can play either and is a highly rated young prospect already in senior squad. 

KS is a high fee disappointment of a winger who has the speed but not the end product - but is still young and has potential. 

Tyler Dibling can play similar positions to both AA and BBD ( and any AMF or new winger we buy closes starting opportunities for him..) 

I’m confident RF will join on final day of season if we are that desperate for another wide player. 
We’ve just bought Archer who is not a conventional nine also. 

So what’s with the Rak Sakai and Jack Clarke stuff? Good players - but we already have good players in those positions. Surely a goal keeper and a central goal scoring attacker are the two priorities at this juncture? 
Or has RM really decided we are playing false nine’s all season long???

…or are Saints holding out that our injured RS will come good and fill that #9 sized gap at some stage so do not need blow the money on it? Plausible but risky especially given Paul is likely leaving shortly. 

PS anyone else thought that TP would probably have buried the headed chance that Archer had late on Saturday? It looked like the ideal set for a big man to put away. 

I agree with this a lot .. we have plenty on the wings .. and likes of edozie sam amo or sule could still blow up and are full of potential ., Fraser also has great end product and would be cheap.. so can’t really see the big deal with Clarke ..

we could do moukoko for 15-18m 

8 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

If Biljow's fitness history shows he is will be good for just half a season, perhaps the club are anticipating that he will do for the first half, by which time Bazunu will be back to take over when the inevitable injury comes along.

( Hope not )

image.png.d05250b9bc88160aff4ab64bf6932ac2.png

Yeah I'm not sure he's going to be able to time injuries to suit our schedule. 

Anyway. Fingers crossed that the Feyenoord fans are wrong and he's ready to play a full season. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm a little less enthused than some other posters. When he played, always as a holding defensive midfielder, I didn't think he did a great job of providing a shield in front of the back four. He still needs to learn the actual role. I also felt he was too passive and a little too casual too. He has the ability, but he did things in slightly slow motion. Rather than looking like a class above with time to spare, he looked a bit laboured. I felt he just needed to be a bit sharper and a bit busier.

He has the attributes to be a good player, but he wasn't actually 'great' in the championship last season. I felt by the end of the season the manager couldn't trust him to be that DM he needed. Time is very much on his side though. Get a slight improvement and you have got yourself a good signing there.

Best of luck for season. Beat the skates.

Agreed, he made me nervous when we were relying on him in Downes' absence last season. As you say too passive and lightweight for a DM and had the tendency to give the ball away too easily which put us in trouble.

That said I do think he has potential to be a good player and a loan with regular game time in the Championship would do his development the world of good.

• Like 1

Southampton boss Russell Martin added on Sunderland winger Jack Clarke, who Saints have been linked with: "He is a player who has played very well in the Championship over the past few seasons.

"We are linked with a number of players and some are miles away, some I’ve never even heard of, others have been one chat or a few videos.

"That position is not one we are light on numbers in at the moment; Ben Brereton Diaz plays there, we have other guys who can operate there, so it is not high on the priority list right now.

"He is a very talented player, his agent is a good friend of mine, they would know if we are in that race right now and we are not."

He was first asked about how busy the club expects to be in final days of transfer window: "I said that last time, we have a full squad at the moment. We played 11 v 11 yesterday morning and today.

"We have had a couple of guys who have been in and out and they are not young guys, they have played hundreds of games, it's only natural we would have to lose a few to bring one or two in.

"On the urgency of it all and how important it is, in terms of incomings and outgoings I would expect us to still be a bit busy in towards the end."

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

This, exactly. Without a proper keeper, we're relegated, it's as simple as that. This guy looks decent, but carries much higher than average risk with respect to a history of injuries. Why even take that risk? I get the point above that we're not able to compete for the Ramsdales of the world, but one notch down from him would do just fine. We've spent £85m so far this window, and we're playing the loan market. It's not like we literally don't have a pot to piss in.

If this guy's calf goes ping again in his second game in, then McCarthy is back in goal and we are utterly, utterly fucked. The stakes (staying in the PL) are about as high as they can be, and despite that, instead of playing the percentages and getting in a solid option like a fit Johnstone or whoever, we're still choosing to take a very big risk where in my opinion we don't have to. 

And surprisingly I don't entirely trust the judgement of our medical team/ medical procedure after the absolute clusterfuck that is Ross Stewart, and now seeing Lallana signed and playing the grand total of zero minutes so far because he's fucking injured, when he's also had a history of injuries. 

I really, really hope this works out, because it doesn't matter how good someone looks on paper and how well they're going to fit into our system if they never play. I just can't believe we're risking it. 

I usually agree with you MG but McCarthy is not good with his feet, the rest of his game is ok. Look at the top end keepers eg Alison and Edison both made major gaffes last season. If Macca was world class he wouldnt be here. We are always going to have keepers that are down a rung. Thats the life of being a Saints fan. Shilton was rubbish with his feet,

Bijlow only needs to be fit for games against the bottom teams. We can rest him against the big six. 

We can just wheel him in for the six pointers then wheel him back to the medical department for the games we have no chance in anyway. 

Sorted 

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

I’ve just spoken to my Flamenco supporting mate.  He said - you give him the ball, he go here, here, here, here, goal!  Only joking, he’s a reserve, can’t get in the team and we’re trying to pull your pants down.

Age 20 and with 63 appearances, are you sure your fake mate knows what he's talking about?

28 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

image.png.d05250b9bc88160aff4ab64bf6932ac2.png

Yeah I'm not sure he's going to be able to time injuries to suit our schedule. 

Anyway. Fingers crossed that the Feyenoord fans are wrong and he's ready to play a full season. 

Seems for first choice keeper we are going from crisp packet wrists to stroopwaffle wrists and edam calves!  

48 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Southampton boss Russell Martin added on Sunderland winger Jack Clarke, who Saints have been linked with: "He is a player who has played very well in the Championship over the past few seasons.

"We are linked with a number of players and some are miles away, some I’ve never even heard of, others have been one chat or a few videos.

"That position is not one we are light on numbers in at the moment; Ben Brereton Diaz plays there, we have other guys who can operate there, so it is not high on the priority list right now.

"He is a very talented player, his agent is a good friend of mine, they would know if we are in that race right now and we are not."

He was first asked about how busy the club expects to be in final days of transfer window: "I said that last time, we have a full squad at the moment. We played 11 v 11 yesterday morning and today.

"We have had a couple of guys who have been in and out and they are not young guys, they have played hundreds of games, it's only natural we would have to lose a few to bring one or two in.

"On the urgency of it all and how important it is, in terms of incomings and outgoings I would expect us to still be a bit busy in towards the end."

I don't understand the logic of playing Brereton in a wide position.

He looks like a proper old-fashioned striker to me.

Thought he was wasted in a wide position at Newcastle.

That said, I don't particularly rate Edozie either; often lacking in an end product.

Would have been marvellous if we could have done some sort of swap deal involving Jack Clarke and Ross Stewart; Sunderland aren't that stupid though sadly.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, petermcpete said:

Age 20 and with 63 appearances, are you sure your fake mate knows what he's talking about?

I think he's being sarcastic and is trying to take the piss out of my Brighton season ticket holding tractor drivers - but I also guess he doesn't know my farm is 15 miles from Falmer.

3 hours ago, OxfordFanWhoComesInPeace said:

Hi,

Oxford fan here who comes in peace.

Anyone able to shed any light on what kind of player we might be getting?

He was a bit hard done by here TBH. When he first came in, he filled in a bit at CB and RB, don’t think he ever really had a run in his preferred defensive midfield position. The fee we paid seemed to effect the fans views of him, wasnt his fault we overpaid.

I think there’s a player in there and a season with you guys playing regularly will do both sides a world of good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

2 hours ago, trousers said:

Apparently Bijlow was rated the world's 17th best keeper back in January.

He is currently 2nd keeper for the Dutch but is pushing for the no1 jersey: That's why he has been approached by Liverpool, Manchester United and Atletico Madrid and turned them down. He wants to be first choice, play every week and nail down that Netherlands place.

We are currently probably the 28th-40th most powerful/richest club in the world. If you bear in mind that the super clubs will have multiple top level keepers we are punching above our weight with this guy. Something has got to give, and in this case it is that he has been in collisions a bit too often. Feyenoord supporters have accused him of being too brave. No wonder RM wants him.

2 hours ago, Hopper said:

Very encouraging 😎 👍

I tracked down that World's Best Goalkeeper rating article at everybodyscoccer.com (1st January 2024)

Everybody Soccer returns with its installment of the top goalkeepers in the world. Goalkeepers are rated on their form with club and country, taking into account their success in shot-stopping, distribution, cross-management, and ability to improv on a broken play. To view past rankings, you can click here to see the prior lists in a spreadsheet or visit the list of the top 24 goalkeepers under 24 years old.

Now anybody can write a list. So I'll let you pull it apart and see if you can find fault. I've highlighted players we have been linked with

1. Allison -  Liverpool, Brazil 
  2. Jan Oblak - Athletico Madrid, Slovenia
  3. Manuel Neuer - Bayern Munich, Germany
  4. Thibaut Courtois - Real Madrid, Belgium
  5. Ederson - Man City, Brazil
  6. Gianluigi Donnarumma - PSG, Italy
  7. Arnau Tenas - PSG, Spain
  8.  Emiliano Martinez - Aston Villa, Argentina
  9. Alphonse Areola - West Ham, France
  10. Marc Ter Stegen - Barcelona, Germany

11. Unai Simón - Athletic Bilbao, Spain (26)
12. Kevin Trapp - Eintracht Frankfurt, Germany (32)
13. Kepa Arrizabalaga - Real Madrid, Spain (29)
14. David Raya - Brentford, Spain (28)
15. Dominik Kotarski - PAOK Salonika, Croatia (23)
16. Alex Remiro - Real Sociedad, Spain (28)
17. Justin Bijlow - Feyenoord, Netherlands (26)
18. Gregor Kobel - Dortmund, Switzerland (26)
19. Andriy Lunin - Real Madrid, Ukraine (24)
20. Iñaki Peña - Barcelona, Spain (24)

21. David de Gea - Free Agent, Spain (33)
22. Edouard Mendy - Al-Ahli, Senegal (31)
23. Illan Meslier - Leeds United, France (23)
24. Mike Maignan - AC Milan, France (28)
25. Keylor Navas - PSG, Costa Rica (37)
26. Wojciech Szczesny - Juventus, Poland (33)
27. Luca Zidane - SD Eibar, France (25)
28. Péter Gulácsi - RB Leipzig, Hungary (33)
29. Aaron Ramsdale - Arsenal, England (25)

30. Lukasz Fabianski - West Ham United, Poland (38)
31. Hugo Lloris - Tottenham, France (37)
32. Walter Benítez - PSV Eindhoven, Argentina (30)
33. Kasper Schmeichel - Anderlecht, Denmark (37)
34. Matheus - SC Braga, Brazil (31)
35. Pau López - Marseille, Spain (29)
36. Rubén Blanco - Marseille, Spain (28)
37. Lukas Hradecky - Bayer Leverkusen, Finland (34)
38. Anthony Lopes - Lyon, Portugal (33)
39. André Onana - Manchester United, Cameroon (27)

40. Rui Patrício - Roma, Portugal (35)
41. Bernd Leno - Fulham, Germany (31)
42. Jordan Pickford - Everton, England (29)
43. Franco Israel - Sporting CP, Uruguay (23)
44. Maarten Vandevoordt - Genk, Belgium (21)
45. Salvatore Sirigu - Nice, Italy (37)
46. Pepe Reina - Villarreal, Spain (41)
47. Paul Bernardoni - Konyaspor, France (26)
48. Robert Sanchez - Chelsea, Spain (26)
49. Mathew Ryan - AZ Alkmaar, Australia (31)
50. Sam Johnstone - Crystal Palace, England (30)

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
intro to article explaining method
  • Like 2

🚨 If signed by Southampton as part of the sale of Charly Alcaraz, Flamengo midfielder Victor Hugo (20) would likely go on loan to Goztepe #saintsfc @maurocezar

what exactly do we get out of this deal €18m seems low to me.

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I tracked down that World's Best Goalkeeper rating article at everybodyscoccer.com 

Now anybody can write a list. So I'll let you pull it apart and see if you can find fault. I've highlighted players we have been linked with

Meslier 23rd???

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 If signed by Southampton as part of the sale of Charly Alcaraz, Flamengo midfielder Victor Hugo (20) would likely go on loan to Goztepe #saintsfc @maurocezar

Fcking ridiculous.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I tracked down that World's Best Goalkeeper rating article at everybodyscoccer.com (1st January 2024)

Everybody Soccer returns with its installment of the top goalkeepers in the world. Goalkeepers are rated on their form with club and country, taking into account their success in shot-stopping, distribution, cross-management, and ability to improv on a broken play. To view past rankings, you can click here to see the prior lists in a spreadsheet or visit the list of the top 24 goalkeepers under 24 years old.

Shocked that Verbruggen isn't on the 24 and under list, I'd imagine he'd probably be the number 1 ranked under 24 keeper in the world now though.

8 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Because presumably we would buy Victor Hugo if he proves himself in Turkey and we get a profit which helps with FFP. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Because presumably we would buy Victor Hugo if he proves himself in Turkey and we get a profit which helps with FFP. 

Exactly this. Basically gives us first dibs on him and gives us an opportunity to get loads of insight on him over the next 12 months before making a decision on whether he's suitable for Saints or not. And in the meantime it kicks the FFP/PSR can down the road and keeps any fee off the books until next year, by which time our 22/23 shitshow has elapsed and dropped off the books

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

Exactly this. Basically gives us first dibs on him and gives us an opportunity to get loads of insight on him over the next 12 months before making a decision on whether he's suitable for Saints or not. And in the meantime it kicks the FFP/PSR can down the road and keeps any fee off the books until next year, by which time our 22/23 shitshow has elapsed and dropped off the books

Not sure why some are finding it difficult to understand. Absolutely nobody is giving us 40 million for Alcaraz and we can't afford to have an asset like him largely sat on the bench most weeks. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

It says we sign him as part of the Alcaraz sale and then we’re loaning him to Goztepe? So we’re taking a haircut on our incoming fee for Alcaraz to benefit Goztepe.

• Like 1

Agreed this is how the multi club model will benefit us. On the surface it's easy to say 'Oh we're just wasting our budget on players for Goztepe'. But the realit is it opens the pathway for 'riskier' investments especially when we're now scouting more in south america and Japan.

If some of these additions live up to expectations in Turkey it's an easy in and helps out massively for profit and sustainability in the long term.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Buy him? What do you mean?

The deal is that he is part exchanged for Charlie, then loaned out to Goztepe.

So saints already "own" him. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

It says we sign him as part of the Alcaraz sale and then we’re loaning him to Goztepe? So we’re taking a haircut on our incoming fee for Alcaraz to benefit Goztepe.

Sure but on the flip side of the coin we brought in Fernandes up front without selling a player so it's swings and roundabouts.

As mentioned he's a saints player on loan, still an asset for us to sell on if he doesn't meet our needs down the road.

Edited by Hopper