Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 minute ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

His Wikipedia page is also a worry concerning injury when you read his club career history.

I looked back through the Euro 2024 games. He wore 13 and was sat on the bench for Netherlands throughout the tournament

He does sound like a top keeper though who would be entirely out of our reach had he not had these injuries. Rather like Ipswich gambling with Broja, maybe this is the sort of move we need to do and hope it pays off to give us a good chance. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Would be a very good signing, plays exactly how we would want the keeper to and technically sound.

Feel like we'd be hard pushed to find anyone more suitable in that price range.

What is the price range? Anyone know?

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

He does sound like a top keeper though who would be entirely out of our reach had he not had these injuries. Rather like Ipswich gambling with Broja, maybe this is the sort of move we need to do and hope it pays off to give us a good chance. 

Yes, would like to see this one go through.

Otherwise we could be left with tears on our Bijlow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

He is/was a very, very highly rated keeper. I knew he had some injury issues, but I didn't know they were as consistent as they have been. He's missed around 150 games in 4/5 years. Last season he missed 27 games. Season before 16, season before that 27 again - so yeah, undeniably he does seem incredibly injury prone (seems to be a recurring wrist injury)….but the chances of signing keepers of his level are quite rare for clubs like us, so hopefully he doesn't end up sharing the treatment room with Stewart and we can get a decent % of games from him.

I imagine the fee will be quite small due to his injury history.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What is the price range? Anyone know?

Atletico bid €2.5 for him which was probably laughed at. Feyenoord made some noises about wanting 10 times that, however somewhere around €15 million would be decent 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

He is/was a very, very highly rated keeper. I knew he had some injury issues, but I didn't know they were as consistent as they have been. He's missed around 150 games in 4/5 years. Last season he missed 27 games. Season before 16, season before that 27 again - so yeah, undeniably he does seem incredibly injury prone (seems to be a recurring wrist injury)….but the chances of signing keepers of his level are quite rare for clubs like us, so hopefully he doesn't end up sharing the treatment room with Stewart and we can get a decent % of games from him.

The club might have played this quite well. Signing McCathy didn't cost anything; just a wage/signing on fee. He is clearly a good stand in when required, and capable of making saves. If we had recruited a No1 and then gone looking for a No2 there's no way we would have got a 2nd as good as McCarthy. Especially when you consider his experience with the team.

Fingers crossed we get a year or two before our new Dutchman picks up an injury 🤞

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

He won't be starting ahead of Smallbone, Why are fans so quick to dump him out ffs.

Because he has come to play, he is a Chelsea wonderkid, and on paper, is better than what we have.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We should have a very strong treatment room

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

undeniably he does seem incredibly injury prone (seems to be a recurring wrist injury)

Gav's wrists have never really been too effective either, so he'll fit in well... ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

He won't be starting ahead of Smallbone, Why are fans so quick to dump him out ffs.

Because we should be playing the best players in every position rather than picking teams based on loyalty and/or sentimentality...? If Ugochukwu is better than Smallbone then he starts... surely?

• Like 17

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Reading about this dutch keeper and then get to @S-Clarke's post, like.......

a man in a suit and tie is sitting in front of an england sign

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Master Bates said:

I LOVE this!! More shithousary from the team please - we've been far too nice for too long, I quite like some of this for a change. Don't want other teams to like playing us, bring a little of the 90s Wimbledon crazy gang back, without the OTT fouling. 

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That's alright, none of our other keepers use their wrists to save the ball either. 

• Haha 1

So I had a look at his stats for last season: He played 17 games and had 8 clean sheets. Feyenoord lost twice in the games he played. Pretty good!

BUT

Timon Wellenruther was his deputy when injured. He played 19 games and had 11 clean sheets and there were no league defeats on his watch. Wellenruther seems to have got the nod as the No1 at Feyenoord this season despite Bijlow winning his spot back for the last game of last season.

The chap who clearly knows the story posts on here:

ITK.png

14 minutes ago, trousers said:

Because we should be playing the best players in every position rather than picking teams based on loyalty and/or sentimentality...? If Ugochukwu is better than Smallbone then he starts... surely?

Is Ugochuckwu capable of playing on the left? I wouldn't mind him playing a role like that of Kjaergaard at Salzburg in being the pacy 8 that can track back quickly, drive with the ball or even make himself a goal scoring option with a late run. 

48 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Bijlow;

Sugawara, THB, Bednarek, KWP;

Downes;

Smallbone, Fernandes;

Arma, Archer, BBD.

Almost!

Bijlow
Sugawara, THB, Bednarek, KWP
              Downes, Lesley
                  Fernandes
            Arma, Archer, BBD

Or alternatively:

Bijlow
Sugawara, THB, Bednarek, KWP
              Downes, Lesley
          BBD, JWP!, Fernandes
                      Archer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Master Bates said:

I like the look of that - but I have to say that I'm disappointed it didn't develop into a fully blown bout of pugilism - in line with our newly stated ambition (quote RM) to stop being seen as a team that are nice to play against.  So does anyone who watched Feyenoord regularly know how handy he is when it gets a bit tasty?  

20 minutes ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

Is Ugochuckwu capable of playing on the left? I wouldn't mind him playing a role like that of Kjaergaard at Salzburg in being the pacy 8 that can track back quickly, drive with the ball or even make himself a goal scoring option with a late run. 

I don't know about Ugochuckwu, but Fernandes favours left midfield.

22 hours ago, Saints4Prem said:

I'd welcome JWP back as he always played best when further forward and a scored a few goals especially from free kicks. His goal contribution may be a great bonus at the end of the season.

Really want him to come back and break the free kick record with us. He has been my boy’s idol since he knew football and he is still asking about him. 

If we go through with this signing it does have the feeling that we're almost there. If we do lose Alcaraz then I really feel that we need one more attacking player as an alternative to Fernandes (Aribo is solid and works hard but without the trickery and bit of magic that Alcaraz provides.) if we got that and then maybe a winger I think we coukd be content even though you'd always want just one more. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Must say, if Patricio was to come to us via Goztepe it would be the best bit of business SR have ever pulled off for us. Huge upgrade on what we have in goal now and it’s hard to imagine him playing for Goztepe. Fingers crossed.

Of course most of us remember him as Wolves' keeper for 3 seasons. 23 matches for Roma in Seria A last season. Still an international, but no longer no. 1. Played one match for Portugal in 2024.

From Wikipedia:
Rui Pedro dos Santos Patrício ComM (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈʁuj pɐˈtɾisju]; born 15 February 1988) is a Portuguese professional footballer who plays as a goalkeeper for the Portugal national team and last played club football for Serie A club Roma. He is often nicknamed "São Patrício" (Saint Patrício) for his saves for club and country.[6]  

Could he really become our keeper this season? Within the laws of transfers/loan deals between 2 sister clubs? 

7 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I don't know about Ugochuckwu, but Fernandes favours left midfield.

I'd imagine we may see Fernandes slightly left of a midfield 3, Lesley sitting deepest, and Downes slightly ahead as the right of the 3. Those 3, plus Smallbone Aribo and Lallana to come back give us loads of options. If Charley stays then that's yet another option. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, egg said:

I'd imagine we may see Fernandes slightly left of a midfield 3, Lesley sitting deepest, and Downes slightly ahead as the right of the 3. Those 3, plus Smallbone Aribo and Lallana to come back give us loads of options. If Charley stays then that's yet another option. 

And Saint Patrício between the sticks :) 

• Like 1

Just now, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

Until I hear Patricio or someone of his caliber is ours I will keep having sleepless nights, I'm afraid. 
Probably suffering from PTSD as I keep dreaming Stephens passing the ball to Macca, who immediately passes the ball to Isak :( 

There has been no Saints link to Rui Patrício, multiple reliable sources have linked Saints to Justin Bijlow.

• Like 2

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

There has been no Saints link to Rui Patrício, multiple reliable sources have linked Saints to Justin Bijlow.

I thought it was just a lad on here saying that he suited our system?