Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

33 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Vladyslav Krapyvtsov -

I mean the headlines write themselves when he makes a mistake...

My GK prediction is that Palace sign Ramsdale, then let Johnstone leave to us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

He's only 36, just over a year older than McCarthy (Willy will be 43 next month for comparison). Not really that old for a keeper. He can't be any worse than AM playing out, and he is also no doubt a better shot stopper. Currently earning £0 per week as he is out of contract.

See out your remaning few seasons relaxing in the sun in turkey or coming back to england for a team fighting relegation (likely to go down). 

I know what I'd prefer. 

42 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

So, where are Saints up to in terms of signing a keeper? We seem to have been linked with at least four candidates in the past couple of weeks and several others before that:

Are we linked with anyone else (other than the guesses that Rui Patricio might go to Goztepe and then be loaned to Saints)? Is anything going to come of any of these links?

I certainly hope we sign a keeper and if Lis is going back to Goztepe the club must be fairly confident that they will sign someone!

I thought we'd been linked with Caoimhin Kelleher at Liverpool. If Liverpool do sign Giorgi Mamardashvili it probably means Kelleher has no future there - and getting him on loan or permanent could make sense for us, him and Liverpool. I would have thought Kelleher was expecting to take over from Alisson when he left - but if thats not going to happen he needs to move.

Maybe we could give them McCarthy in part exchange so he can be back up to Alisson and then Mamardashvili 🙂

• Like 1

I'm fairly relaxed about the GK situation, I'm certain we will find an upgrade, I just think there are a number of things that need to fall in place. 

Ramsdale would be the ideal one, but he is obviously in demand - understandbly so. He is the main peice in the jigsaw and it'll come down to Arsenal's demands lowering, which is why it'll happen towards the end of the window (imo). 

Liverpool are supposidly close to agreeing a deal for the Georgian keeper Giorgi Mamardashvili. The plan for him is to loan him out for a season, with Bmouth being toutted. If Bmouth get Ramsdale, that leaves Mamardashvili free (hes brilliant - or at least was in the euros). 

Wolves have Sa. Neither are going to accept sitting on the bench or being used in a rotation basis. If Ramsdale goes to Wolves, Sa becomes avalibile. 

Palace have Henderson and Johnson. Like the above, if Ramsdale goes there, one or both become avalibile (preferably Henderson but Johnson is an improveemnt in what we have).  

The question will be, will Wolves / Palace loan us a keeper if it comes to it. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

But why would Ramsdale go there to be on the bench?   

7 minutes ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

Same with Wolves links, they have Sa

I would imagine both Palace and Wolves see Ramsdale as an upgrade on Henderson and Sa respectively. Likely his agent pushing his name out there to secure a move more than anything.

1 minute ago, Dman said:

I'm fairly relaxed about the GK situation, I'm certain we will find an upgrade, I just think there are a number of things that need to fall in place. 

Ramsdale would be the ideal one, but he is obviously in demand - understandbly so. He is the main peice in the jigsaw and it'll come down to Arsenal's demands lowering, which is why it'll happen towards the end of the window (imo). 

Liverpool are supposidly close to agreeing a deal for the Georgian keeper Giorgi Mamardashvili. The plan for him is to loan him out for a season, with Bmouth being toutted. If Bmouth get Ramsdale, that leaves Mamardashvili free (hes brilliant - or at least was in the euros). 

Wolves have Sa. Neither are going to accept sitting on the bench or being used in a rotation basis. If Ramsdale goes to Wolves, Sa becomes avalibile. 

Palace have Henderson and Johnson. Like the above, if Ramsdale goes there, one or both become avalibile (preferably Henderson but Johnson is an improveemnt in what we have).  

Romano seems to think he'll return to Valencia on loan for the season.

• Like 1

Being reported in the Netherlands that we've made a bid for Feyenoord goalkeeper Justin Bijlow. Was with Netherlands at the Euros

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 9

I know this won't go down well, but is there a chance that we actually sign a backup keeper to McCarthy - just so that we have three keepers - rather than a new number 1?  

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Being reported in the Netherlands that we've made a bid for Feyenoord goalkeeper Justin Bijlow. Was the Netherlands #1 at the Euros

Interesting that he has been on the bench in their first two games behind Timon Wellenreuther.

6 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Being reported in the Netherlands that we've made a bid for Feyenoord goalkeeper Justin Bijlow. Was with Netherlands at the Euros

Distribution. Bijlow is suited to a short passing game. According to fbref.com, he had the shortest average pass length of all Eredivisie goalkeepers this season at 25.6 metres and launched (defined as balls that travelled over 40 metres) just 17.8 per cent of his kicks.

He sounds exactly like the type of keeper that would suit us. 

• Like 4

Here's a thread from the Feyenoord board on Reddit answering the Q: How good is Justin Bijlow? They seem to be very big fans of him but sounds like his injury record hasn't been spotless...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dman said:

I didn't think Liverpool would be allowed to sign Mamardashvili and then loan him out to another premier league club in the same transfer window or season under premier league rules

I am still confused as to how we could sign Cameron Archer from Villa as they had just bought him back from Sheff Utd - it wasn't a loan.  Someone please explain!?

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Distribution. Bijlow is suited to a short passing game. According to fbref.com, he had the shortest average pass length of all Eredivisie goalkeepers this season at 25.6 metres and launched (defined as balls that travelled over 40 metres) just 17.8 per cent of his kicks.

He sounds exactly like the type of keeper that would suit us. 

Well he played for Slot last season, who's style is very similar to ours, so this would make sense.

Poor Feynoord, they've have been ripped apart this season!  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

They seem to be very big fans of him but sounds like his injury record hasn't been spotless...

They are pretending he's always injured to put off buyers tbf 😂

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Here's a thread from the Feyenoord board on Reddit answering the Q: How good is Justin Bijlow? They seem to be very big fans of him but sounds like his injury record hasn't been spotless...

He's good at pretty much everything: long reach and quick reflexes, great at deciding when to get out of his goal (typical moment), good height on corners, good with his feet and can win a penalty series too.

His only drawback is injuries. He's been out relatively often. It's not a persistent injury or anything like that, but I suppose he doesn't really avoid collisions when he can get the ball.

So really his only negative quality is being too brave.

Oh God. I can see Martin reading these words and quietly fondling himself in the corner of the room. 

• Haha 11

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Have a read of what I posted lower down the page and what wolves fans are saying. It appears he is a bit worse than McCarthy at playing out with his feet. 

I know, I read it after I posted. I don't believe he can be any worse than AM playing out with his feet (not sure I would take views of Wolves fans as an accurate assessment) , so the fact he is a better 'traditional' keeper makes it a slam dunk for me.

Ajax have Diant Ramaj on the bench. Was their nr 1 last year but the new trainer has Pasveer (41) as his new nr 1. Ramaj did really well last years and wants to leave for first team football, def worth a look at. 

Telegraaf now reporting it too, from very reliable Feyenoord reporter Marcel van der Kraan: https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/1285897263/justin-bijlow-als-eerste-doelman-naar-premier-league-club-southampton

Translation...

ROTTERDAM - Justin Bijlow will leave Feyenoord and is in negotiations with Premier League club Southampton, which sees its first goalkeeper in the Dutch international.

Earlier this summer, Arsenal were also in the market for Bijlow, but he would have had to start there as a second goalkeeper.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I thought we'd been linked with Caoimhin Kelleher at Liverpool. If Liverpool do sign Giorgi Mamardashvili it probably means Kelleher has no future there - and getting him on loan or permanent could make sense for us, him and Liverpool. I would have thought Kelleher was expecting to take over from Alisson when he left - but if thats not going to happen he needs to move.

Maybe we could give them McCarthy in part exchange so he can be back up to Alisson and then Mamardashvili 🙂

Only seen Kelleher play a few times in the cup matches, but he can't be all that if Baz manages to get in the Ireland side ahead of him!

24 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Fits the SR plan of Bijlow and Sellhij.

He looks like a good keeper for our system and in general, and I personally love an aggressive/decisive keeper which he seems to be.

• Haha 7

Bijlow would be the best alternative to Ramsdale that we've been linked with, possibly even better because for all of Ramsdale's strengths, playing out from the back is one of his weaknesses and our tactics need someone competent at it. Bijlow is a competent goalkeeper and can play out from the back, so would fit us like a glove. ;)

Johnstone, was overrated at West Brom because he was busy I didn't want us to sign him then because if we had good scouts we could have done better. Now, in our position he'd be an okay signing, he's solid but unspectacular, but we'd probably be lumped with him for a number of years after McCarthy. Steele's main strength is that he's good at playing out from the back. His main weakness is that he's barely a better goalkeeper than McCarthy. Been protected a lot by a solid defence at Brighton in Dunk, Veltman and when they had Caicedo, etc. Similar to when Forster's clean sheet stats were boosted when we had the likes of Van Dijk, Alderweireld, Schneiderlin and Wanyama protecting him.

So, just need a better source than a random Dutch account with fewer than 50k followers now.

https://x.com/David_Ornstein/status/1826200198789648432?t=A1FkFBEheZgEHa6VBIYUhw&s=19

Some of these prices for lower end strikers are crazy. Nketiah for 30-35m is madness, but if goes to show the struggles in buying a striker with PL experience.

Also, Man City are sniffing around Celtics striker Kyogo, which would fill their pockets - might have some impact on any MOR deal.

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Good GK but been injured for about 7 months of this past year.

The Reddit posters have stated that he has broken bones. A wrist in training last year for example as a result of being "too brave" 

The player has claimed he has tried to adapt his game so that he is at lower risk of injury

45 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Someone posted that name quite a few pages back - I looked up the name as it was very random.

• Like 1

Full story from De Telegraaf, translated: https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/1285897263/justin-bijlow-als-eerste-doelman-naar-premier-league-club-southampton

ROTTERDAM - Justin Bijlow will leave Feyenoord and is in negotiations with Premier League club Southampton, which sees its first goalkeeper as the Dutch international.

Earlier this summer, Arsenal were also in the market for Bijlow, but he would have had to start there as a second goalkeeper.

The 26-year-old goalkeeper, who was placed on the bench by Danish coach Brian Priske before the start of this season but was present at the European Championship, still has a contract with Feyenoord until the summer of 2026.

That contract must be bought out and Southampton is still in discussions with Feyenoord director Dennis te Kloese about this.

Feyenoord will not simply let Bijlow go, because he still represents great value. That is why the almost scandalous offer from Atletico Madrid, which only wanted to pay a few million, was previously undiscussable in De Kuip.

However, Feyenoord understands Bijlow's situation, who is too good for the reserve bench and not so long ago was the number one in the Dutch national team under Ronald Koeman, but who lost his place due to an injury.

It is therefore expected that both parties will quickly reach an agreement on a lump sum payment.

It is interesting for Bijlow that the young trainer Russell Martin has just as daring a playing style as Arne Slot previously at Feyenoord. The coach of the club, where Ronald Koeman (as coach) and Virgil van Dijk were previously under contract, has a very attacking playing style. That is why he also wants a goalkeeper who can play far in front of his goal and who is strong in the build-up.

First goalkeeper Alex McCarthy made a major mistake when defending on the first day of play. The 34-year-old Englishman wanted to pass the ball to a fellow player, but shot the ball into the feet of Newcastle United striker Alexander Isak, who immediately enabled Joelinton to score. Southampton were heading for a point in the away match because they played against ten men from Newcastle.

Afterwards, trainer Martin said that the blame could be placed on him. "Because I ask my goalkeeper to play like that and build up like that. So the blame should fall on me," said the coach.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

The Reddit posters have stated that he has broken bones. A wrist in training last year for example as a result of being "too brave" 

The player has claimed he has tried to adapt his game so that he is at lower risk of injury

His injury record is here. Certainly seems to be a lot and quite varied. Maybe just bad luck. 

Justin Bijlow - Injury history | Transfermarkt

Presuming we do buy him rather than loan and pay in 12 months/on survival, we'll still have the other PL loan slot free. I think most of us thought that would be reserved for a GK but potentially opens up some other interesting options going into the end days of this window...

• Like 5

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

Presuming we do buy him rather than loan and pay in 12 months/on survival, we'll still have the other PL loan slot free. I think most of us thought that would be reserved for a GK but potentially opens up some other interesting options going into the end days of this window...

Indeed. Premier league wonderkid up top on loan please!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

His injury record is here. Certainly seems to be a lot and quite varied. Maybe just bad luck. 

Justin Bijlow - Injury history | Transfermarkt

His Wikipedia page is also a worry concerning injury when you read his club career history.

I looked back through the Euro 2024 games. He wore 13 and was sat on the bench for Netherlands throughout the tournament