Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Who will be our top scorer and how many goals do you reckon? I don't think anyone is making double figures. Maybe Diaz with 8?

Difficult to say - you’ve got to be on the pitch to score, so the question is from the 4 possibles who gets the nod to start games? All of them are unknowns in the EPL under Russball and playing high possession has not historically provided us with big goal numbers. You could point to improvements in midfield - Suga, Fernandes, Lesley - which hopefully will mean service will be better. 

If I was forced to make a prediction I would say AA who has shown he score a hatful with the right conditions albeit in the Championship and this squad is shaping up to be a better one than our last EPL season. He is more likely to be a starter unless he gets injured (rare) so should get the chances.

To be fair though it matters not who scores the goals - we just need to be more creative and put oppo keepers under more pressure!

15 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Difficult to say - you’ve got to be on the pitch to score, so the question is from the 4 possibles who gets the nod to start games? All of them are unknowns in the EPL under Russball and playing high possession has not historically provided us with big goal numbers. You could point to improvements in midfield - Suga, Fernandes, Lesley - which hopefully will mean service will be better. 

If I was forced to make a prediction I would say AA who has shown he score a hatful with the right conditions albeit in the Championship and this squad is shaping up to be a better one than our last EPL season. He is more likely to be a starter unless he gets injured (rare) so should get the chances.

To be fair though it matters not who scores the goals - we just need to be more creative and put oppo keepers under more pressure!

I'd say it would be a sad state of affairs if the person we are relying on the most to score goals is AA given his previous record in this division. When we've done well previously we've had at least one and sometimes two stars who we know can reliably stick the ball in the net. Lambert, Rodriguez, Pelle, Gabbiadini to a lesser extent, Broja with his vein of form and Ings. Who do we have now? My fears may be unfounded but we need more for the attack imo. 

• Like 2

Current Portuguese National Goalkeeper Rui Patricio was on c £64k pw at Roma - and two /three years previously he was on c £110k pw at Wolves. 

His contract at Roma expired end June and he was released. 

I’m still checking if there is something else going on with him as I’ve an alarm bell ringing but at first glance if it’s true Goztepe anre hiring him ( will also check) he’s  obviously an upgrade goalie en route to us via them.
Goalie for hire essentially. Willy Cabellero type experience but better and still playing at top level. 
ALL the Goalkeepers at Saints would look up to him and there would be no questions about him being starting goalie from anyone. 

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd say it would be a sad state of affairs if the person we are relying on the most to score goals is AA given his previous record in this division. When we've done well previously we've had at least one and sometimes two stars who we know can reliably stick the ball in the net. Lambert, Rodriguez, Pelle, Gabbiadini to a lesser extent, Broja with his vein of form and Ings. Who do we have now? My fears may be unfounded but we need more for the attack imo. 

While I agree we do better with a talisman centre forward, I do think we will see much more from Arma in the PL this time around:

• He's older and more mature and more experienced.
  • He has a better idea what he is up against in the PL
  • He must be full of confidence again now
  • He must now realise that his best work is off the wing and not at CF
  • Ralph played him off the left, but Russ plays him off the right
  • Generally I think Russell's style of play fits him better than Ralphs.
  • Like 1

Think we can write of Patricio coming here if this article is in any way accurate:

His kicking is not a strong part of his game, particularly when put under pressure from opponents. Following a back-pass from a defender, Patrício’s lack of assurance invites pressure from attackers who sense an opportunity as the ball rolls back towards goal. As the ball travelled, Wolves’ centre-backs did not drop back to offer a passing option to their goalkeeper, and he would almost always look to play long. On the rare occasions he tried to take a touch, he sometimes even lost possession and gifted an opponent a huge chance (below).

Patrício played almost 90 per cent of his goal-kicks long, to the extent that only a handful of Premier League goalkeepers launched more long passes than did Wolves' number one. None of the other teams who played long from their goalkeeper as much as Wolves finished anything like as high up the table as Nuno's did in their first two seasons in the Premier League. That is, the most successful teams play short from their goalkeeper far more than Wolves.

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

While I agree we do better with a talisman centre forward, I do think we will see much more from Arma in the PL this time around:

• He's older and more mature and more experienced.
  • He has a better idea what he is up against in the PL
  • He must be full of confidence again now
  • He must now realise that his best work is off the wing and not at CF
  • Ralph played him off the left, but Russ plays him off the right
  • Generally I think Russell's style of play fits him better than Ralphs.

I expect we will see some improvement. Whether it is to the extent that it has a serious impact on our season remains to be seen. The last preseason game and the Newcastle game have still left me with some doubts. I'm glad he's in the team and we must give him a chance but I'm nervous about the prospect of relying on him too heavily abd pinning our promotion hopes on him until he proves he can score regularly in this division. 

Edited by hypochondriac

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm glad he's in the team and we must give him a chance but I'm nervous about the prospect of relying on him too heavily abd pinning our promotion hopes on him until he proves he can score regularly in this division. 

Is there a player we can afford who you wouldn't be nervous about?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Prompted me to look at top scorers for our last spell in prem for each season ;

JWP 9

JWP 10

Ings 12

Ings 22

Ings/ JWP 7

Austin 7

Redmond 7

Pelle / Mane 11

Pelle 12

JayRod 15

Lambert 15

Surprisingly the most common top scorers total is 7!

• Like 1

Don't profess to be ITK but Bournemouth fan I know reckons we've an interest in their back-up 'keeper Mark Travers. No idea if there's anything in it or if they would even allow him to come to us, could just be that we are enquiring about GKs all over the Premier League to keep options open for the final couple of weeks of the window. 

1 minute ago, Saint_lambden said:

Don't profess to be ITK but Bournemouth fan I know reckons we've an interest in their back-up 'keeper Mark Travers. No idea if there's anything in it or if they would even allow him to come to us, could just be that we are enquiring about GKs all over the Premier League to keep options open for the final couple of weeks of the window. 

That's another reason we won't get Ramsdale imo. We can't leave it till the very last minute which is when arsenal might consider a loan to someone like us because we need one in. We probably have a large list with the attributes we want and we will go down it till we get one. 

1 minute ago, West end Saints said:

Still not very impressive!

Is it ridiculous to suggest Armstrong or BDD will get 12?

BBD, Arma, Archer

If you said one would score 11, and the other two would score 7 or 8 I don't think that would be a ridiculous suggestion. Which ones do what I couldn't say. BBD scored 6 in half a season at the Blades, while Archer scored 4 in the whole season I think?

@FRsources 19m

Crystal Palace are interested in Aaron Ramsdale. No official offer has been made to player/club. Wolves and Bournemouth also exploring a deal. #AFC

I can't see us getting him with those other clubs sniffing around...

1 minute ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

So confident of BBD then! 🍻 😁👍

In his position on the left coming inside I'd be confident he can do a job n for us there. I don't think he's a centre forward leading the line though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

@FRsources 19m

Crystal Palace are interested in Aaron Ramsdale. No official offer has been made to player/club. Wolves and Bournemouth also exploring a deal. #AFC

I’d be very surprised if Palace go for him, with Henderson their number one. 

Just now, OldNick said:

Ramsdale has been relegated twice, just saying

So what?

Niemi was relegated with us and many view him as one of our best ever keepers. 

Lallana and Schneiderlin were relegated to League One.

Lavia and Livramento were relegated with us.

Relegation doesn't mean every individual was the issue, not good enough or tainted.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

So what?

Relegation doesn't mean every individual was the issue, not good enough or tainted.

2 different teams. Not saying we shouldn't get him but may not be the best thing since sliced bread

I'm not sure we'll bring another striker in but if we were then I'd quite like Fotis Ioannides from Panathinaikos.  Big lad, good scoring record and only 24.  We were linked about a week ago, Leicester also linked and they've missed out on Adam Hlozek so a bit of competition there.  Apparently 30M price tag but you'd assume that will come down the closer we get to the end of the window.  Would definitely give us an added dimension in terms of physical presence and aerial ability.

I don't think we will buy another striker but it would give us another dimension.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.0fff94c196fcf0a14b5d92259bd25f59.png…seems to not be our kind of passing GK - from his stats last year at Roma.
This will be interesting if he does come over. Good enough for Portugal but not good enough for Saints? Surely not.

More homework required! 

16 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Ramsdale has been relegated twice, just saying

11 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

So what?

4 minutes ago, OldNick said:

2 different teams. Not saying we shouldn't get him but may not be the best thing since sliced bread

Still doesn't make it his fault. He clearly impressed enough in those seasons to return to the PL in big money moves and for a title challenger like Arsenal. 

Plus he has since those times been first choice for a PL title challenger (until recently) and is 2nd choice for England.

He would be a massive upgrade on McCarthy.

(In FM25 terms... he'd be our best player!)

Edited by Matthew Le God

13 hours ago, UpweySaint said:

I rate Broja but happy to be wrong.

The point i’m making is they’ve signed several players we have been linked with over a few windows so we can actually see how they fare in a relegation threatened side.

Much like is Brighton sign MOR we can see how he gets on in the prem.

Ah i see what you're saying Upwey. Fair point - it will be interesting to see how they get on. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

BBD, Arma, Archer

If you said one would score 11, and the other two would score 7 or 8 I don't think that would be a ridiculous suggestion. Which ones do what I couldn't say. BBD scored 6 in half a season at the Blades, while Archer scored 4 in the whole season I think?

If Armstrong and BBD get 15 goals between them it could be enough to keep us up

20 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

It's true, he didnt want to go, and definitely didn't want to go to West Ham.  But ultimately they were the only club who came in for him in the end, which was why the fee was relatively low for such a good player.

It will be interesting to see what happens with him in the next few weeks.

https://twitter.com/spena2k10/status/1825798234003935452

Thread on Rui Patrizio by Wolves fans:

He was already struggling in his last season with us.

What if it is between Patricio and Ramsdale?

As a number 1 then Ramsdale. As I know Rui just won't cut it anymore.

No wonder we are in massive trouble....He was average when we had him, so imagine now...look forward, not backwards.

And even worse with his feet than Sa

That's true, but is he worse than Ramsdale?

One of the main reasons Rui left because he hated living over here. He couldnt wait to move away, so much so he had already packed and moved out of his house 6 weeks before he actually left the club

Been really shaky for Roma. Past his best.

became another liability as sa has and his kicking is appalling

So not ideal then...

I know at the start of the window we felt there weren't many PL side looking for a keeper. This week every club and his dog has been linked with Ramsdale, while there are Spurs fans and Wolves fans discussing Patrizio. (as well as Sergio Rico, Keylor Navas, Tommaso Martinelli, Wojciech Szczęsny, Marvin Schwäbe)

Edited by Patches O Houlihan

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

It's true, he didnt want to go, and definitely didn't want to go to West Ham.  But ultimately they were the only club who came in for him in the end, which was why the fee was relatively low for such a good player.

It will be interesting to see what happens with him in the next few weeks.

Is your sense that we'd ever look to get him back? I've heard some people say that he might want to return but I don't think there's a place for him with our new signings. 

25 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

Not ridiculous, but unlikely

BBD’s stats from last year suggest he would have been around that number if he had played the whole season and that was for one of the worst sides the league has ever seen.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I'm not sure we'll bring another striker in but if we were then I'd quite like Fotis Ioannides from Panathinaikos.  Big lad, good scoring record and only 24.  We were linked about a week ago, Leicester also linked and they've missed out on Adam Hlozek so a bit of competition there.  Apparently 30M price tag but you'd assume that will come down the closer we get to the end of the window.  Would definitely give us an added dimension in terms of physical presence and aerial ability.

I don't think we will buy another striker but it would give us another dimension.

I agree that we won't get another one but that's the sort of thing I think we need. Good post. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

@FRsources 19m

I don't see Palace as anymore attractive than us to be honest. They've already lost Olise and potentially 2 of their starting 3 CB's in Anderson (Fulham) and Guehi (Newcastle) are likely off in the next 10 days.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

How is Patricio at playing out from the back? Is he still good enough despite his age? I haven't been keeping up with him. 

He's only 36, just over a year older than McCarthy (Willy will be 43 next month for comparison). Not really that old for a keeper. He can't be any worse than AM playing out, and he is also no doubt a better shot stopper. Currently earning £0 per week as he is out of contract.

1 minute ago, Saint Scott said:

I don't see Palace as anymore attractive than us to be honest. They've already lost Olise and potentially 2 of their starting 3 CB's in Anderson (Fulham) and Guehi (Newcastle) are likely off in the next 10 days.

Palace are in London, so much closer to his current club, and are now a more established PL team, with a manager who did brilliantly for them last season.  Unlikely Ramsdale chooses us over them

2 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

He's only 36, just over a year older than McCarthy (Willy will be 43 next month for comparison). Not really that old for a keeper. He can't be any worse than AM playing out, and he is also no doubt a better shot stopper. Currently earning £0 per week as he is out of contract.

Have a read of what I posted lower down the page and what wolves fans are saying. It appears he is a bit worse than McCarthy at playing out with his feet. 

So, where are Saints up to in terms of signing a keeper? We seem to have been linked with at least four candidates in the past couple of weeks and several others before that:

Are we linked with anyone else (other than the guesses that Rui Patricio might go to Goztepe and then be loaned to Saints)? Is anything going to come of any of these links?

I certainly hope we sign a keeper and if Lis is going back to Goztepe the club must be fairly confident that they will sign someone!

3 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Palace are in London, so much closer to his current club, and are now a more established PL team, with a manager who did brilliantly for them last season.  Unlikely Ramsdale chooses us over them

That's true but what on earth is Henderson going to do? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

So, where are Saints up to in terms of signing a keeper? We seem to have been linked with at least four candidates in the past couple of weeks and several others before that:

Are we linked with anyone else (other than the guesses that Rui Patricio might go to Goztepe and then be loaned to Saints)? Is anything going to come of any of these links?

I certainly hope we sign a keeper and if Lis is going back to Goztepe the club must be fairly confident that they will sign someone!

Christos Mandas, Lazio - https://onefootball.com/id/berita/lazio-set-to-receive-lucrative-offer-for-southampton-wolves-target-39878511

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

I agree, their manager did a cracking job after he came in and I fancied them to have a strong season this year. They are being stripped of their prize assets though, I wouldn't be surprised to see some bigger clubs move for Eze & Wharton later in the window too.

Think we should forget about Ramsdale. Far too good (and expensive) for us. And I have a feeling he’ll go to Bournemouth to be with his best fwend. Now if we got Brooks again…

Please sort keeper. It’s excruciating. One that saves goals will be enough.