Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

8 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

And Maatsen who is about to play in the Champions League final for Dortmund.

Ridiculous. Shows the levels of disparity in the PL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

I’m more worried that Chelsea will throw £25m at us for KWP and he’s gone fast as you can say “we are stuffed at FB now”. 

Isn't KWP too old for Chelsea?

6 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Ridiculous. Shows the levels of disparity in the PL.

Just look at the players Arsenal hope to ship out: Zinchenko, Tierney, Ramsdale,  Smith Rowe, Nelson, Partey,  Nketiah, Viera...

All would walk into our team and they expect to raise around £200 million from those sales.

12 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Just look at the players Arsenal hope to ship out: Zinchenko, Tierney, Ramsdale,  Smith Rowe, Nelson, Partey,  Nketiah, Viera...

All would walk into our team and they expect to raise around £200 million from those sales.

Possibly Tierney. We need a left back, he's coming up for 27, has bags of top level experience and his height would be an asset.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, saintant said:

Possibly Tierney. We need a left back, he's coming up for 27, has bags of top level experience and his height would be an asset.

I’m curious as to calibre of player we can attract. My gut feeling is that many including tierney would have zero interest in joining a team that be considered a relegation candidate.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I’m curious as to calibre of player we can attract. My gut feeling is that many including tierney would have zero interest in joining a team that be considered a relegation candidate.

Depends what other offers he receives. Obviously not every club is in the market for a left back plus he is unlikley to attract interest from the top 6-8 Premier League clubs imo.

47 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

If we offer him a good wage, guaranteed regular starts and a reasonable release clause should we go down, there's no reason why he wouldn't.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, CB Fry said:

We have a head of recruitment in Darren Mowbray, plus a performance director, whose name I forget plus Phil Parsons plus Russell Martin. 

I don't think there is some impossible to cover gap there.

It's not like Wilcox on his own would have done all the decision making on players in before. You'll remember we signed Downes and Manning, both having worked with Russell Martin. It's always a collective endeavour.

This time last year a dedicated DoF was lauded as being a crucial appointment. Mowbray et al could do the recruitment etc but I’m talking about someone who has the clout to make big financial decisions and negotiate accordingly. If another club wants to make an offer for one of our players who would they go to?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

This time last year a dedicated DoF was lauded as being a crucial appointment. Mowbray et al could do the recruitment etc but I’m talking about someone who has the clout to make big financial decisions and negotiate accordingly. If another club wants to make an offer for one of our players who would they go to?

Phil Parsons, Charlie Boss?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

If we offer him a good wage, guaranteed regular starts and a reasonable release clause should we go down, there's no reason why he wouldn't.

There’s every reason he wouldn’t outside of playing championship manager

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

image.thumb.png.c64fee9504801fc2cb1fe34a1b50d5fd.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

Yep, you would think teams like West Ham would be all over it and a 'safer' bet for a more comfortable season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gio1saints said:

I’m more worried that Chelsea will throw £25m at us for KWP and he’s gone fast as you can say “we are stuffed at FB now”. 

You're KWP. You know you're up against Reece James, Gusto, Chilwell etc etc. That would be a money move and I reckon he actually has more sense (he said naively)

19 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I've just shown you that he's had less than 14 games worth of game time for us spread over 2 full seasons and you think that's more than enough? 

I look forward to your final and definitive judgement of our new summer signings 14 games into next season. 

14 games? Come on get serious, this is SaintsWeb, they’ll be lucky to get 14 minutes before judgement is passed.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Long Shot said:

We're probably not going to recruit a DOF for this window so you are really going to have to try and get over it.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Long Shot said:

Wilcox was the academy director before he joined us. He wasn't making big financial decisions on sensor players. We are not losing some DoF tighten. We have financial directors and football management that can fill the void I'm sure.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

No they weren’t. There were a few questions over his attitude, after he fell out with Howe and refused to play for Bournemouth during Covid but he wasn’t written off. He was a proven PL quality player when his head was in the right place, so nobody was doubting he had the talent to tear the Championship apart. Broja is completely different. We’re now playing at the same level that he did very little at last season, I think most people would be right to be concerned as to how much he could deliver on the pitch.

TBH this forum’s been a bit weird this last week. I was expecting people to be posting a bunch of YouTube videos of £20-30m players who are great on Football Manager. Instead there seems to be an overwhelming desire to set up some sort of charity home for all of our has been players from years gone by.

image.png.1334006984a39f360acdf101917ce51a.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, grezz said:

You're KWP. You know you're up against Reece James, Gusto, Chilwell etc etc. That would be a money move and I reckon he actually has more sense (he said naively)

KWP should go to Manchester United. Best option.

27 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

Parsons knows nothing about the football side of things. 

Dangerous. Didn’t stop Rupert from thinking he could oversee the football side of things. 

54 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

Parsons knows nothing about the football side of things. 

Maybe not. But the question was "who would another club go to if they wanted to make an offer for our players".

He wouldn't need to know too much about football, just negotiating.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

You probably don’t need a release clause. Scottish players don’t lose their international selection rights by being in the championship. And RM played alongside him a while ago. 

23 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

We're probably not going to recruit a DOF for this window so you are really going to have to try and get over it.

So a position that was seen as vital 12 months ago is now not deemed important? 
I apologise for attaching importance to this but it does seem to be a flaw in what could be a complicated close season. I will now stop banging on about it but I am not yet convinced SR are completely on top of things despite the euphoria created last Sunday. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

I apologise for attaching importance to this but it does seem to be a flaw in what could be a complicated close season. I will now stop banging on about it but I am not yet convinced SR are completely on top of things despite the euphoria created last Sunday. 

In a perfect world Wilcox would still be here. If Rasmus or Parsons were sat here now I'm sure they'd say that. 

But he's not.

We're talking about replacement candidates with 6 month notice periods or huge release clauses. Even if we get someone tomorrow they probably won't be in a position to do anything this summer.

So we have to get on with it. There are people in place to scout and recruit and negotiate and buy and sell.

As others have said, Wilcox was a rookie director of football anyway, he wasn't doing great big million pound deals on players before he came to us. This would have been new ground for him even if he had stayed.

At the end ofthe day he wasn't here long enough to be missed as much as you are crying about. We go on.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

Agree the timeframes do not work for this upcoming window. Very frustrating as this summer’s transfer activity is of paramount importance to our survival chances. I’d like to see us bring in a new director of football no later than 1st January 2025. The requirement and benefits of having one haven’t just disappeared because we had one successful season.

5 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Agree the timeframes do not work for this upcoming window. Very frustrating as this summer’s transfer activity is of paramount importance to our survival chances. I’d like to see us bring in a new director of football no later than 1st January 2025. The requirement and benefits of having one haven’t just disappeared because we had one successful season.

Most of the groundwork for this transfer window would have already been done before Wilcox left, whichever scenario occurred. Targets identified already, the thing we will miss is reaction to changes, players who turn us down etc. Would expect new DoF to be in place by end August, it's not like there are dozens of candidates sat around waiting to be called.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

I don t understand the logic either. And the club knew Wilcox was going back in February. 
People are saying that a replacement would take ages but look how fast Man U appointed him. It didn t require gardening leaves or anything

Edited by stevy777_x
  • Like 1

What’s not ideal is the Euro’s happening. It’s likely to have a knock on effect throughout the PL. 

I seem to have more faith in the board/backroom set up than most (only because DS is very much hands on now), but we’ve got a very big job to do with new players coming in and need to get on with it ASAP. The euros will slow this down. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

What’s not ideal is the Euro’s happening. It’s likely to have a knock on effect throughout the PL. 

I seem to have more faith in the board/backroom set up than most (only because DS is very much hands on now), but we’ve got a very big job to do with new players coming in and need to get on with it ASAP. The euros will slow this down. 

To be fair, it's probably why we have been linked to so many this early. It feels like we want to get a lot done early doors. Let's hope so. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

I don t understand the logic either. And the club knew Wilcox was going back in February. 
People are saying that a replacement would take ages but look how fast Man U appointed him. It didn t require gardening leaves or anything

It required them buying his contract out. That's the "or anything" you're looking for.

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Most of the groundwork for this transfer window would have already been done before Wilcox left, whichever scenario occurred. Targets identified already, the thing we will miss is reaction to changes, players who turn us down etc. Would expect new DoF to be in place by end August, it's not like there are dozens of candidates sat around waiting to be called.

This👆

Its one of the advantages of planning ahead. Which we have been oft told happens at SFC.
Our player targets, for if we were EPL, would have been identified well before time JW left. 

What’s missing as @VectisSaint points out, is reaction to new developments since then - and following them up through one identified person. The price and contract stuff is standard  fare. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Why would Fraser need one? 

probably a standard / legal requirement when drawing up contracts...I doubt a full medical to the detail require is needed for a loan, especially as if issues for a more significant players go back to their parent club.