Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

9 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I don’t know if he’ll be the same player he was either, no one really does, but it’ll be interesting to see how he gets on. It’s exactly the same kind of deal we did with THB so just seemed a bit strange to knock it.

THB hadn’t had bad injury had he or shown poor form since returning 

39 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Whilst it’s fun to knock other clubs, I think it’s quite a good deal. It’s 30m of next years money if they stay up, and if they do stay up then presumably he would have contributed to that. 

Not sure they have any "next year money" under PSR unless they manage to offload someone for proper money. They're taking huge gambles in this window IMHO. 

11 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

THB hadn’t had bad injury had he or shown poor form since returning 

The deal is the same. Ipswich have taken a risk, all transfers are a risk. Reuniting the strike force from one of the worst teams in premier league history is a risk. If it comes off for them then it’s probably money (from next year) well spent. If it doesn’t then they’ve made a mistake but not one that cost them 30M.

I really don’t know how I can explain that any better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpweySaint said:

Ipswich have picked up several players we’ve been linked with so while not a direct parallel it will give us a chance to compare on a here’s what you could have won bullseye style arrangement! 

Lets hope all they end up with is their BFH

bullseye.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chez said:

big clubs earning an absolute fortune from their failures and cast offs really pisses me off. They have every angle covered. 

I agree. Pisses me off too.
Not that he is a bad young player but Van den Berg was probably never bought to play for Liverpool but to get hyped up and sold for double price to a desperate club. In this case Brentford. 

2 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

If you had offered me Archer or Broja a few weeks ago I would have said Archer. Broja hasnt looked the same player that played the first 10-12 games for us. Would also be surprised if he doesnt get injured within the first few months

I know the money is different, but the Broja Archer comparison will be a good one this season and longer.

• Like 1

Strange one from Ipswich re Broja, I can understand buying him if they stay up IF he had an impact, I'd be fucked off if he was shit, was injured most of the season, scored 3 goals and they somehow stayed up in spite of him. I'd have made the stipulation that Broja would have have to score/assist in 15 goals and the club stay up before making a massive outlay such as £30m. No way is he worth that. 

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

I am uncertain it’s that good only time will tell. He was poor at Euros in games I saw and even dropped plus his time at Fulham wasn’t great but McKenna is a good manager and if can get him firing then an ok deal but £30m seems high still.

He played the first game, got absolutely zero service, did ok when he was rarely given the ball, and imo looked strong and sharp. He was then dropped. 

Very hard to come to any conclusions, but I thought he looked back to full fitness and there was the potential for him to do the same things as he did for us last time. 

Ipswich may have got a great deal there. With him and Delap coming in, they have upgraded. Let's see if they are more effective and get more goals than BBD and archer.

2 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

Strange one from Ipswich re Broja, I can understand buying him if they stay up IF he had an impact, I'd be fucked off if he was shit, was injured most of the season, scored 3 goals and they somehow stayed up in spite of him. I'd have made the stipulation that Broja would have have to score/assist in 15 goals and the club stay up before making a massive outlay such as £30m. No way is he worth that. 

He won't score 3 goals... 

53 minutes ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

I agree. Pisses me off too.
Not that he is a bad young player but Van den Berg was probably never bought to play for Liverpool but to get hyped up and sold for double price to a desperate club. In this case Brentford. 

Carvalho, signed for £5m, pretty much failed to get a game for Liverpool and sold for £27.5m plus a sell on clause. 

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

Ipswich will finish above.us

Maybe. But little chance of that imo.
They were away from the PL for more than 20 years and must feel a little alienated to the prem, so - on the whole - I'm far from sure they'll finish above us. On the contrary.
New portuguese midfielder coming in I read , but we still need a PL quality keeper that fits our system. Maybe a winger and a striker more.  

Personally would have taken Broja over  Archer - think he has a higher ceiling and we have already seen that at his best he can majorly trouble good PL defenders - I don't think Archer has shown that level yet. Also feel he would have added a different element to our team with his running power and ability to create for himself.

I wouldn't be suprised if Broja scores more than Archer and Armstrong.

Good signing for Ipswich.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Personally would have taken Broja over  Archer - think he has a higher ceiling and we have already seen that at his best he can majorly trouble good PL defenders - I don't think Archer has shown that level yet. Also feel he would have added a different element to our team with his running power and ability to create for himself.

F*ck. Ipswich signed Broja too...?????

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Based on what?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

How can Ipswich do so well in the transfer marked?
Yes, I know they were great - 43 years ago.....

You dont know how well they've done transfer-wise. The season will determine that.

Yes if they get the best out of Delap, Broja, Phillips and Cajuste (none of whom have been particularly good or regular starters in recent years), and the likes of Hutchinson, Greaves and Szmodics make the step up to PL level, then yes they'll be comfortably safe from relegation. 

However, its also very possible that these signings dont work out and they're forced to move many of these players on next summer at a massive loss.....as we know very well

• Like 3

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

You dont know how well they've done transfer-wise. The season will determine that.

Yes if they get the best out of Delap, Broja, Phillips and Cajuste (none of whom have been particularly good or regular starters in recent years), and the likes of Hutchinson, Greaves and Szmodics make the step up to PL level, then yes they'll be comfortably safe from relegation. 

However, its also very possible that these signings dont work out and they're forced to move many of these players on next summer at a massive loss.....as we know very well

True enough.  I keep my fingers crossed 👍

I wander how much the signings of Archer, Ugochukwo & Fernandes has been dictated by  a change in thinking by Martin as to what the squad needs based on players staying / leaving and those forcing their way in..

Throughout the summer it was clear there were 2 clear positions being scouted. MC-Attack to replace Armstrong & AMR to replace Brooks and probably really still Tella

We were linked at the start of the window to sooooooo many left footed right sided wingers but those rumours have slowed. For MC rumours was really only O’Riley in midfield and still feel he was the main target until the price went way north of what we were willing to pay.

So my logic…

Assuming Alcarez is off…Fernandes looks like a Smallbone challenger and with Ugochukwo being a def mid, that leaves Aribo and Lallana for the more advanced MC and I wander if the emergence of Dibling has made Martin feels he now has enough options. 7 central midfield players for likely 3 match day spots even if Alcaraz and Charles move on. So I don’t think we will be revisiting O’Riley unless Aribo suddenly has interest. 

Then AMR..  still feel Clarke from Sunderland is who we truly want. But… on getting Archer are we now allowing Arma to take the AMR slot with Amo-Ameyaw also showing his worth in pre-season to be 2nd choice… allows Archer or Stewart (or Diaz) to be ST depending on approach. Then still have Edioze, Sulemana, Diaz for AML (also Wee Man is bound to join on deadline day). Again assumed Mara, Onuachu transfers go through.

Now conspiracy theory - might the focus away from AMR also be because Saints see KWP more likely to stay… he could easily play a more advanced role with Bree as his more defensive right back.

Overall I think we have been limited by FFP, and in an ideal world - KWP, Tall Paul, Sulemana, Bella-Kotchap and maybe Alcaraz would have been sold and I think just the 2 would have been brought in  with O’Reilly and Clarke or Carvalho regardless of cost.

But instead we strengthened twice in CM in deeper positions to allow others opportunities more forward and a cheaper option as ST again to allow others to to make AMR theirs.

with Fernandes today I am not expecting anymore incomings till deadline day and hope that Bella-Kotchap, Onuachu, Alcarez, maybe Sulemana sales give us some much needed money in to allow some freedom on deadline day if bargains could be had. The worry is expected or wanted sales don’t happen and we will need to accept low offers for KWP.. clubs will know we are treading water!

(apologies for the length of post - been a few days in the making while I waited for my registration to be accepted :) )

Edited by Surrey_Saint
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, Dusic said:

You’re basing this on two and a half years ago. He’s done absolutely nothing since January/February 2022, I know he had a bad injury, but even in between that, he’s done nothing. 

1 hour ago, Appy said:

You’re basing this on two and a half years ago. He’s done absolutely nothing since January/February 2022, I know he had a bad injury, but even in between that, he’s done nothing. 

Definitely not untrue. However, I fear that Broja might be returning to the scene with something to prove. In an Ipswich shirt - and his loan signing for the tractor boys alarms me. Admittedly he could be a failure ,though. I really,really hope so.

Edited by Kristian Loekkegaard

1 hour ago, Surrey_Saint said:

I wander how much the signings of Archer, Ugochukwo & Fernandes has been dictated by  a change in thinking by Martin as to what the squad needs based on players staying / leaving and those forcing their way in..

Throughout the summer it was clear there were 2 clear positions being scouted. MC-Attack to replace Armstrong & AMR to replace Brooks and probably really still Tella

We were linked at the start of the window to sooooooo many left footed right sided wingers but those rumours have slowed. For MC rumours was really only O’Riley in midfield and still feel he was the main target until the price went way north of what we were willing to pay.

So my logic…

Assuming Alcarez is off…Fernandes looks like a Smallbone challenger and with Ugochukwo being a def mid, that leaves Aribo and Lallana for the more advanced MC and I wander if the emergence of Dibling has made Martin feels he now has enough options. 7 central midfield players for likely 3 match day spots even if Alcaraz and Charles move on. So I don’t think we will be revisiting O’Riley unless Aribo suddenly has interest. 

Then AMR..  still feel Clarke from Sunderland is who we truly want. But… on getting Archer are we now allowing Arma to take the AMR slot with Amo-Ameyaw also showing his worth in pre-season to be 2nd choice… allows Archer or Stewart (or Diaz) to be ST depending on approach. Then still have Edioze, Sulemana, Diaz for AML (also Wee Man is bound to join on deadline day). Again assumed Mara, Onuachu transfers go through.

Now conspiracy theory - might the focus away from AMR also be because Saints see KWP more likely to stay… he could easily play a more advanced role with Bree as his more defensive right back.

Overall I think we have been limited by FFP, and in an ideal world - KWP, Tall Paul, Sulemana, Bella-Kotchap and maybe Alcaraz would have been sold and I think just the 2 would have been brought in  with O’Reilly and Clarke or Carvalho regardless of cost.

But instead we strengthened twice in CM in deeper positions to allow others opportunities more forward and a cheaper option as ST again to allow others to to make AMR theirs.

with Fernandes today I am not expecting anymore incomings till deadline day and hope that Bella-Kotchap, Onuachu, Alcarez, maybe Sulemana sales give us some much needed money in to allow some freedom on deadline day if bargains could be had. The worry is expected or wanted sales don’t happen and we will need to accept low offers for KWP.. clubs will know we are treading water!

(apologies for the length of post - been a few days in the making while I waited for my registration to be accepted :) )

I'd be very surprised if we left it until then for another Goalkeeper, I assume that GK is all we are in for now.

9 minutes ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

I'd be very surprised if we left it until then for another Goalkeeper, I assume that GK is all we are in for now.

RM himself said after the Newcastle game that he/the club are still looking to add more attacking quality to the side

6 hours ago, Pat from Poole said:

Well, this is an interesting turn of events…….

Mmmmmm 🤔

https://x.com/justsaints_/status/1825999696768413727?s=46&t=_0WF3xmOPMkvDJN1bRNQcA

36yo Rui Patrício; Portuguese National keeper (ex Sporting, ex Wolves) is out of contract at Roma and appears to have been having contract talks with Goztepe.

Difficult through the translate function, but the chat appears to be it was done because we were slow transferring Lis to them, and Arda got injured, so they needed an emergency keeper for the 3-4 weeks while he is out. 

All summer we have seemed to be signing players for them. Maybe this is the big FFP favour they do for us in return?

McCarthy really isn’t going to kick up a fuss if he’s 2nd choice in that scenario, and neither is Baz if he gets fit early.

Also his big wage bill is split between the clubs so doesn’t put noses out of joint with the playing staff of either club. 

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
Extra
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

36yo Rui Patrício; Portuguese National keeper (ex Sporting, ex Wolves) is out of contract at Roma and appears to have signed for Goztepe.

Difficult through the translate function, but the chat appears to be it was done because we were slow transferring Lis to them. 
All summer we have seemed to be signing players for them. Maybe this is the big FFP favour they do for us in return?

You have to wonder why Rui Patricio would want to sign for Goztepe.

Are we turning Portuguese, to (sort of) nick a Vapors song???

6 hours ago, Dusic said:

We couldn’t though could we once signed Lesley.

As I said I didn’t think he looked that good at Euros but McKenna may get something from him but Fulham couldn’t.

We do need a solution to our attack and hopefully by the end of the window we will have it plus a quality keeper.

6 hours ago, Dusic said:

Yeah agree love broja and always thought he has absolutely top draw potential . That 30m could look like peanuts soon.. exciting young strikeforce Ipswich have now .

I have a feeling we might snatch moukoko 

1 hour ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

36yo Rui Patrício; Portuguese National keeper (ex Sporting, ex Wolves) is out of contract at Roma and appears to have been having contract talks with Goztepe.

Difficult through the translate function, but the chat appears to be it was done because we were slow transferring Lis to them, and Arda got injured, so they needed an emergency keeper for the 3-4 weeks while he is out. 

McCarthy really isn’t going to kick up a fuss if he’s 2nd choice in that scenario, and neither is Baz if he gets fit early.

Also his big wage bill is split between the clubs so doesn’t put noses out of joint with the playing staff of either club. 

McCarthy isn't going to kick up a fuss, even if he never plays another game,  because he's getting paid far more than he's worth and no other club would have him. If he's more sensible with money than he is with a football, he'll already have so many millions in the bank that he'll never need to work again. But, somehow, I suspect Saints are going to pay him to do something or other - hospitality, God forbid it's goalkeeper coaching - for the rest of his life. 

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 2

Must say, if Patricio was to come to us via Goztepe it would be the best bit of business SR have ever pulled off for us. Huge upgrade on what we have in goal now and it’s hard to imagine him playing for Goztepe. Fingers crossed.

• Like 6

Ipswich have taken up Broja, Liam Delap and Szmodics. Are they the strikers we desperately want? 

Now we only have Archer as a  striker with Mara and Tall Paul are expected to go. 

Edited by HKsaint
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HKsaint said:

Ipswich have taken up Broja, Liam Delap and Szmodics. Are they the strikers we desperately want? 

BBD Archer and AA is what we got with our budget.

2 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

I doubt we were desperate to sign any of those players. Whether there’s a need to sign another CF is debatable - depends on whether Ross S has had enough recuperation time to mend fully and stay fit. If he can then with AA, Archer and BBD we might have enough if attacking midfield quality is upgraded significantly and that appears to be the intent with Matheus signing and hopefully KWP staying.

7 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I doubt we were desperate to sign any of those players. Whether there’s a need to sign another CF is debatable - depends on whether Ross S has had enough recuperation time to mend fully and stay fit. If he can then with AA, Archer and BBD we might have enough if attacking midfield quality is upgraded significantly and that appears to be the intent with Matheus signing and hopefully KWP staying.

Personally I don't think that's good enough to stay up. We simply won't score enough. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Must say, if Patricio was to come to us via Goztepe it would be the best bit of business SR have ever pulled off for us. Huge upgrade on what we have in goal now and it’s hard to imagine him playing for Goztepe. Fingers crossed.

I really can’t imagine Goztepe being able to afford his wages.

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Personally I don't think that's good enough to stay up. We simply won't score enough. 

You may be right, but the ‘proof of the pudding’ as they say. My feeling is we’ve improved on a key weakness from the last few seasons and that’s the ability of our forwards to move fluidly in the box…anticipate passes, plus also improve the supply to them which will be what Matheus will bring. The only slight unknown is whether RM persists with a back 5 or he changes things for certain games e.g, goes 433 or 442.

4 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

I really can’t imagine Goztepe being able to afford his wages.

Well if he’s a loan and without understanding the possible financials, I suspect there’s a chance his wages will be shared.

7 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

You may be right, but the ‘proof of the pudding’ as they say. My feeling is we’ve improved on a key weakness from the last few seasons and that’s the ability of our forwards to move fluidly in the box…anticipate passes, plus also improve the supply to them which will be what Matheus will bring. The only slight unknown is whether RM persists with a back 5 or he changes things for certain games e.g, goes 433 or 442.

Who will be our top scorer and how many goals do you reckon? I don't think anyone is making double figures. Maybe Diaz with 8?