Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

I'll say it again - JWP is on £100k a week at West Ham. Does anyone think we're going to pay that, or think that he'd take a pay cut to come back when he's in the prime of his career at 29? 

It's not happening, in the same way that Ramsdale's not happening. We're not in the market to pay anyone those sort of wages, regardless of whether there's transfer fee, loan deal or anything else. 

Yep, we'd pay that, I'm pretty confident of that. 

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We have multiple millions coming in this year. A ten million net spend is not spending millions we don't have. 

Depends how serviceable the existing debt is and how bad the repayments have got on our loan(s).

The £10m net isn't yet the correct figure because it relies 'if' of shifting those players.

Current net spend is circa £75m. And even if we DO clear those at end of contracts/wantaways/dead wood, we probably need to spend further dosh if we've any realistic hope of staving off relegation. Transfer business is clearly not done.

Brings home the current futility of trying to compete in the Prem, IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ant said:

Depends how serviceable the existing debt is and how bad the repayments have got on our loan(s).

The £10m net isn't yet the correct figure because it relies 'if' of shifting those players.

Current net spend is circa £75m. And even if we DO clear those at end of contracts/wantaways/dead wood, we probably need to spend further dosh if we've any realistic hope of staving off relegation. Transfer business is clearly not done.

Brings home the current futility of trying to compete in the Prem, IMO.

That's a different argument though. If your argument is that we will need to spend more so that our net spend will be significantly higher after sales and that we are quite high favourites to go down then I agree. 

More nonsense from the bat-shit crazy Chelsea.

Chelsea are proud of the fact that the 42 players they have in their first-team pool have a total of 191 years remaining on their contracts.

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, egg said:

JWP was told fairly early that season that he was being sold n the summer. I thought his attitude was superb considering that. 

Really?  Apart from a few games when Nathan Jones pushed him further forward, I thought he was dire most of the season.

2 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

Really?  Apart from a few games when Nathan Jones pushed him further forward, I thought he was dire most of the season.

Poor or a poor attitude? I'm talking about his commitment. For me it was decent for a bloke who's been told he'd going in the summer. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ken Tone said:

OR..... he allowed himself to be sold so the club could get in a transfer fee and stop paying him £100k a week, so we could avoid going broke.

He's not like Lallana or Van Dijk, agitating to leave ...... as far as we fans can tell.

No he was not agitating to move - he didn’t need to as the club obviously had to make some financial adjustments. KWP and McCarthy stayed and I bet their salary was not far off JWP’s. He has admitted that he left to get in contention for an England call, which in itself doesn’t show good judgement - he Captained one of the worst performing EPL sides ever that got relegated in an awful season…hardly a good resume for a player hoping to play at International level.

9 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

This is why he’d be quite intriguing as an O’Riley alternative in my opinion, played his best football in the more advanced role which is the midfield area we’re currently lacking in the most.

Fernandes/Smallbone - Downes/Ugochukwu - JWP/Aribo/Lallana

Suddenly looks quite exciting, although I do still imagine Ugochukwu will partner Downes more than just being his back-up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

More nonsense from the bat-shit crazy Chelsea.

when Chelsea get it right on the pitch, could all this off pitch shenanigans start to look like the work of genius? 

Essentially they are signing lots and lots of bloody brilliant young players and doing so in a way that gets around financial regulations. Seems smart to me. They are creating a squad of tremendous talent and potential, which gives them a chance to back to the very top of the tree, where they once were. The long contracts ensure talent stays with the club, and in the future those players may potentially be on wages less than they might get if they signed contracts every few years. 

I'm not really sure how having 15 attacking central midfielders fits into this overall strategy, but someone at the club must know.

Obviously, if they don't get it right on the pitch, it just looks bat-shit crazy. 

29 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

There's so little value in this transfer market for a team like Saints with a (relatively) small budget.

Sep van den Berg going to Brentford for £20m

https://x.com/David_Ornstein/status/1825889424418177491

big clubs earning an absolute fortune from their failures and cast offs really pisses me off. They have every angle covered. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

This is why he’d be quite intriguing as an O’Riley alternative in my opinion, played his best football in the more advanced role which is the midfield area we’re currently lacking in the most.

Fernandes/Smallbone - Downes/Ugochukwu - JWP/Aribo/Lallana

Suddenly looks quite exciting, although I do still imagine Ugochukwu will partner Downes more than just being his back-up.

Yeah, my feeling is it’s more like…

Fernandes/Aribo - Downes/Smallbone - Ugochukwu/Lallana (who has said his role was different while at Brighton…more like Downes/JWP with less attacking moves, probably due to not having the legs anymore).

18 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

The side was dire. Not sure JWP was. Might even have been his best season for us. Lavia was great when fit, but I thought JWP was probably our best player that season (not saying much I know). maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

He's not a world beater though. There are limits to his game.

2 hours ago, St Chalet said:

I think our top earner is currently Aribo on £70k p/w

Possibly. But where does this figure come from? Is it a reputable source or one of those "player wages websites' that are about as accurate as an [insert to your own player and attribute]?  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chez said:

Possibly. But where does this figure come from? Is it a reputable source or one of those "player wages websites' that are about as accurate as an [Che Adams shot on goal]?  

You mean like that? 🤣

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

big clubs earning an absolute fortune from their failures and cast offs really pisses me off. They have every angle covered. 

Chelsea are basically a temp agency at this point. You can bet that every single player they've signed is part of a business plan to turn profit first and foremost. The few that are good enough for the first team all benefit from uplfits in their contracts - the rest generate loan fees and are sold for profit to rival clubs.

3 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Chelsea are basically a temp agency at this point. You can bet that every single player they've signed is part of a business plan to turn profit first and foremost. The few that are good enough for the first team all benefit from uplfits in their contracts - the rest generate loan fees and are sold for profit to rival clubs.

Hugely tenuous and risky position, but I guess they’ve got the funds to operate in that way. Assuming they’re allowed to continue by the games authorities that is.

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Signing JWP on loan would also mean a GK would be unlikely/harder. We’re not signing one permanently, so would be restricted to a foreign loan 

Outside of Ramsdale, I'm not sure of any other PL keepers available for loan who'd be suitable or gettable for us.

I predictably saw an article linking us to Ukraine's U19 goalkeeper, available on a free after being released by Dinipro-U19's. Hasn't ever played a pro game in his career. I imagine that one is a goer.

Free - tick

Young - tick

Never played pro football - tick

On 18/08/2024 at 08:12, hypochondriac said:

If it is true that we are in for Ramsdale then the time line will be dictated by arsenal. I just hope we have backups in place if it isn't happening. 

Looks like it's being dictated by wolves

Happy with the state of the midfield now - 6 players across 3 positions is good depth and we've made a nice couple of additions there now. 

You have to say, if we can shift a few players for some cash, the recruitment this summer (on paper) looks to be more sensible than in the past under SR. 

I am hopeful that this trend will continue as opportunities arise deep into the window

• Like 2

Happy with this signing even of not quite the level yet of ORiley but to be honest I hadn't heard of either before this summer😂

So just 3 signings to make - in order of importance 

GK

Striker

Winger

1 hour ago, Chez said:

when Chelsea get it right on the pitch, could all this off pitch shenanigans start to look like the work of genius? 

Essentially they are signing lots and lots of bloody brilliant young players and doing so in a way that gets around financial regulations. Seems smart to me. They are creating a squad of tremendous talent and potential, which gives them a chance to back to the very top of the tree, where they once were. The long contracts ensure talent stays with the club, and in the future those players may potentially be on wages less than they might get if they signed contracts every few years. 

I'm not really sure how having 15 attacking central midfielders fits into this overall strategy, but someone at the club must know.

Obviously, if they don't get it right on the pitch, it just looks bat-shit crazy. 

It’s also incredibly hard to keep such by definition ego-heavy players happy when they are not in the team (witness Sterling and his ‘statement’ released to the press. All of which creates pressure on the manager, who will always only be temporary as players agitate and noises off become difficult to manage. It’s rumoured that this got to Pochetino and that he left rather than was sacked. So to me this policy that Chelsea have under Boehly is not clever at all. Quite apart from the potential points deduction that may arise from dealings under Abramovich. 

Edited by DT
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Doing a few years business in advance because they’re facing another transfer ban.

• Like 2

Sorry if posted already - we couldn’t sign him on loan anyway but £30m !

🚨 Armando Broja to Ipswich is 𝗛𝗘𝗥𝗘 𝗪𝗘 𝗚𝗢 done.

Loan deal, with an obligation to buy for £30m if Ipswich stay up.

(Source: @FabrizioRomano)

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

Ipswich have picked up several players we’ve been linked with so while not a direct parallel it will give us a chance to compare on a here’s what you could have won bullseye style arrangement! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

That’s mental money.

• Like 3

I suspect the American finance influence at Chelsea also has them treating player trading like venture capital. Buy lots of young players, for their first loan send them to a good league with no option to buy, then wait to see which ones 2-3x in value. If Les proves himself an effective PL bulldozer for us, he'll be worth at least double what they paid for him without ever having to kick a ball in anger for their first team. On the other hand, if the first loan isn't a huge success, they're sent out again next season to less auspicious clubs with an obligation to buy that hopefully covers the original cost of the purchase or better (as with Broja link to Ipswich now). The key to the approach is that you have to be comfortable with a few big sales covering many more smaller losses.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

That’s mental money.

I don't understand how these top clubs can get the money they can for their deadwood.

Before his injury and after his decent season with us (in the January when he was with us actually) there was talk of £30m bids. Now, 2/3 years on, on the back of a mega-injury and a pretty woeful spell at Fulham, he's still worth the same.

Bonkers really. To me there's no value in that one, Fulham fans will vouch for that as they hated him last year. A loan with a £10-15m is probably fair, but £30m is just nonsense and is why football is broken.

• Like 1

If you had offered me Archer or Broja a few weeks ago I would have said Archer. Broja hasnt looked the same player that played the first 10-12 games for us. Would also be surprised if he doesnt get injured within the first few months

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, DT said:

It’s also incredibly hard to keep such by definition ego-heavy players happy when they are not in the team (witness Sterling and his ‘statement’ released to the press. All of which creates pressure on the manager, who will always only be temporary as players agitate and noises off become difficult to manage. It’s rumoured that this got to Pochetino and that he left rather than was sacked. So to me this policy that Chelsea have under Boehly is not clever at all. Quite apart from the potential points deduction that may arise from dealings under Abramovich. 

Chelsea are the comedy club nowadays.

Imagine being in that dressing room, Christ knows where you sit. Are there enough lockers in the changing rooms? 😂

12 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

Ipswich have picked up several players we’ve been linked with so while not a direct parallel it will give us a chance to compare on a here’s what you could have won bullseye style arrangement! 

Broja?!? 🤣😂

Ipswich are wasting money on wages there. Let alone the fact that Archer is our player for half the price.

Edited by Saint86

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Chelsea are the comedy club nowadays.

Imagine being in that dressing room, Christ knows where you sit. Are there enough lockers in the changing rooms? 😂

Apparently not , despite extending the number of places in the changing room some players are having to change in a corridor !

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Happy with this signing even of not quite the level yet of ORiley but to be honest I hadn't heard of either before this summer😂

So just 3 signings to make - in order of importance 

GK

Striker

Winger

I don't think we'll buy a striker. A winger, perhaps. A goalkeeper, hopefully!

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Broja?!? 🤣😂

Ipswich are wasting money on wages there. Let alone the fact that Archer is our player for half the price.

Whilst it’s fun to knock other clubs, I think it’s quite a good deal. It’s 30m of next years money if they stay up, and if they do stay up then presumably he would have contributed to that. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

Whilst it’s fun to knock other clubs, I think it’s quite a good deal. It’s 30m of next years money if they stay up, and if they do stay up then presumably he would have contributed to that. 

Indeed. Personally I'd like us to structure some deals like that. Keeps us within FFP rules and means we might be able to afford a higher class of player. Dare I say it maybe we'd be interested in structuring the Ramsdale deal in a similar fashion - although his no doubt higher wages would be an issue I'm sure. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I am uncertain it’s that good only time will tell. He was poor at Euros in games I saw and even dropped plus his time at Fulham wasn’t great but McKenna is a good manager and if can get him firing then an ok deal but £30m seems high still.

I don't really understand how they plan to play Broja and Delap within the same team, given they've committed to £50m spend on them both - unless they plan to change formation or force one out wide / use one as a sub routinely

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Or he might have another major knee injury, spend the season out of the squad, but Ipswich stay up anyway because they have a decent squad plus a great manager... and then they are having to fork out £30m for an injured player that didn't help anyway.

Leeds had a similar situation with Jean-Kevin Augustin, whom they had to sign on their promotion despite him being injured the whole campaign.

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

I am uncertain it’s that good only time will tell. He was poor at Euros in games I saw and even dropped plus his time at Fulham wasn’t great but McKenna is a good manager and if can get him firing then an ok deal but £30m seems high still.

I don’t know if he’ll be the same player he was either, no one really does, but it’ll be interesting to see how he gets on. It’s exactly the same kind of deal we did with THB so just seemed a bit strange to knock it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Broja?!? 🤣😂

I rate Broja but happy to be wrong.

The point i’m making is they’ve signed several players we have been linked with over a few windows so we can actually see how they fare in a relegation threatened side.

Much like is Brighton sign MOR we can see how he gets on in the prem.

Just now, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Or he might have another major knee injury, spend the season out of the squad, but Ipswich stay up anyway because they have a decent squad plus a great manager... and then they are having to fork out £30m for an injured player that didn't help anyway.

Leeds had a similar situation with Jean-Kevin Augustin, whom they had to sign on their promotion despite him being injured the whole campaign.

Yeah, don’t forget fires, floods and other biblical catastrophes. They could all happen too.

Any player could get injured