Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 hours ago, suewhistle said:

According to the Evening Standard both Petrovic and Arrizabalaga are surplus to requirements and the latter doesn't even have a squad number. No doubt we can't afford their wages but it does show that there are some experienced and decent keepers out there..

Petrovic won't be on that high a wage, not sure on Arrizabalaga. A reason they haven't fallen foul of FFP is in part due to having much smaller wages for their players. 

3 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Pretty sobering to see just how far we are behind clubs like Wolves, BHA, Bournemouth etc. in terms of financial muscle.

I mean, isn't this a bit of a state the obvious comment?

Did those teams have a net spend of circa £160M at the start of the 3 year cycle ending this season? Did they get relegated suffering a huge drop in income and allowable spend/loss under PSR?

Let's not even start on Brighton and their very impressive player trading in recent seasons. Ditto wolves and Bournemouth have both had high sales this window  -so all in, I think it's hardly that surprising that all 3 of them can go out and spend  - it doesn't necessarily mean it's the right strategy though. PSR in particular works to screw over prem clubs that get relegated and try/managed to bounce back - we'll have done very very well if we manage to bounce back, stay up, and avoid any PSR sanctions... 

Edited by Saint86

50 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I mean, isn't this a bit of a state the obvious comment.

Yes, it probably is. As I said to another poster it was just the realisation that teams that we been ahead of in the past are now considerably further ahead of us. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Yes, it probably is. As I said to another poster it was just the realisation that teams that we been ahead of in the past are now considerably further ahead of us. 

Yes I agree look at Wolves for instance

Wolves have submitted a proposal to sign England goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale on loan from Arsenal with an option to buy next summer. (Athletic - subscription required)

13 minutes ago, John B said:

Wolves have submitted a proposal to sign England goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale on loan from Arsenal with an option to buy next summer. (Athletic - subscription required)

so we are not signing Ramsdale or MoR?!

17 minutes ago, John B said:

Wolves have sold circa £100m worth of players this summer which weakened them

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cgq2vg873pdo

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Read the article, they can't spend it

Nothing in that article that says they 'can't' spend it (due to FFP).  Plenty in there suggesting they 'won't' spend it and hinting that is because they are doing 'something different' - i.e. making a profit!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Two of our farmhands are Brighton STH, and they reckon Steele can't pass for toffee. Which is a shame considering what he'll be asked to do. Not a very good shot stopper either. 

Pretty sure he’s very good with his feet. De Zerbi dropped Sanchez (now Chelsea’s number 1) for Steele because of this. Shot stopping, on the other hand, I’m not so sure. 

3 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Two of our farmhands are Brighton STH, and they reckon Steele can't pass for toffee. Which is a shame considering what he'll be asked to do. Not a very good shot stopper either. 

My tailor and my hairdresser are both Brighton STH and they reckon Steele is like Pele with the ball at his feet and Shilton with it in his hands.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

My sack and crack waxer reckons steele is handsome.

My tailor actually said while he was measuring my inside leg

”Ooh, Jason Steele, suits you sir.  Magnificent pair of hands and such delicate feet”.

I don’t give a fuck what Farmer’s bumpkins said about him.

• Haha 8

30 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Sounds just the guy to complete the set.

54 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Wow, 2 assists in 20 games and an average of 5.7 forward passes per game.  

Waste of money.

Sounds like he's a defensive midfielder. Can't see us signing him at all given we have lesley now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Sounds like he's a defensive midfielder. Can't see us signing him at all given we have lesley now. 

and Fernandes is a DM too. We’ve gone from being a bit stuffed when Flynn eats raw chicken innards… to very well stocked with guys who can play 6.

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Pretty sure he’s very good with his feet. De Zerbi dropped Sanchez (now Chelsea’s number 1) for Steele because of this. Shot stopping, on the other hand, I’m not so sure. 

Just their opinion - they laughed about it which is a bit demoralising. 😒

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

My tailor actually said while he was measuring my inside leg

”Ooh, Jason Steele, suits you sir.  Magnificent pair of hands and such delicate feet”.

I don’t give a fuck what Farmer’s bumpkins said about him.

No need to be a prick about it is there? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

and Fernandes is a DM too. We’ve gone from being a bit stuffed when Flynn eats raw chicken innards… to very well stocked with guys who can play 6.

Think Fernandes is a box to box midfielder so different to this guy, but it can only be a good thing if there’s competition for places and they develop into £50m+ saleable assets. The past strategy of ours that everyone is saying Brighton have copied and are excelling at.

10 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Maybe the plan is to fill our half of the pitch with defensive midfielders so that the ball never gets anywhere near one of our substandard goalkeepers...? ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Just their opinion - they laughed about it which is a bit demoralising. 😒

As we see on here pretty frequently being a STH of a club doesn't mean you have a clue about what you are watching.

No offence to them but Steele is excellent with his feet, its the entire reason he displaced Robert Sanchez and beyond what you can see is also demonstrated in the stats too:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12854916/jason-steele-s-passing-under-pressure-for-brighton-under-roberto-de-zerbi-has-seen-him-replace-robert-sanchez

Basically plays a far higher proportion of "pressure passes" than other PL keepers and with a better completion rate.

Literally what we will aak him to do.

11 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Think Fernandes is a box to box midfielder so different to this guy, but it can only be a good thing if there’s competition for places and they develop into £50m+ saleable assets. The past strategy of ours that everyone is saying Brighton have copied and are excelling at.

This chart shows him being a bit of a Primeira Liga rockstar except for touches in the box, non-penalty goals and aerial duels. So for me he is probably more of a Lavia than a Bryan Robson. But I agree he is more of an 8 than 6. He would be Morgan, while Big Les plays the Big Vic role in a double pivot. But where does that leave Flynn?

mateus fernandes.jpeg

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
the data wheel is based on the Primeira Liga so may need to be taken with a pinch of salt

7 minutes ago, Dusic said:

As we see on here pretty frequently being a STH of a club doesn't mean you have a clue about what you are watching.

No offence to them but Steele is excellent with his feet, its the entire reason he displaced Robert Sanchez and beyond what you can see is also demonstrated in the stats too:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12854916/jason-steele-s-passing-under-pressure-for-brighton-under-roberto-de-zerbi-has-seen-him-replace-robert-sanchez

Basically plays a far higher proportion of "pressure passes" than other PL keepers and with a better completion rate.

Literally what we will aak him to do.

Fingers crossed then! As you say a lot of fans on here are STH and they certainly don't have a clue about some of our players so hopefully they're the same. 

Edited by Farmer Saint

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

image-c3cae0c820.jpg.d514ff266833a2b3d1c244a22b62ecca.jpg

;)

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Mike McGrath from the Telegraph saying we are interested in Ollie Arblaster from Sheff Utd (along with Brentford and Ipswich):

https://x.com/mcgrathmike/status/1825466216401580165?s=46&t=yx-nO3PhK9WdSZqAccORKA

I think I've worked out why we are interested when we have already bought in two midfielders this week

Quoted from Wikipedia:

Arblaster joined the Academy at Sheffield United at the age of six.[3] He initially wanted to be a goalkeeper, following in the footsteps of his father and grandfather, before accepting he would play outfield due to his relatively short stature.[4]

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, Matty's Caddy said:

It doesn’t matter who’s in goal, as soon as he makes a fuck up he’ll get hammered. 
shit happens, keepers make mistakes and usually get punished. 
let’s not forget BBD missed not quite a sitter but not far away, as did smallbone and AA

RM didn’t exactly cover himself in glory either….

end of the day I was very pleased with our general play

just have a bit of patience 

I'm patient - maybe I just consider the goalkeeping position more urgent than you do and with good reason. We haven't had a decent keeper in ages and there is no real excuse for it because they are and have been available and some at reasonable fees. 

9 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

They’ve been in the Prem for a longer period therefore have more clout in terms of FFP.

Not difficult to understand.

This is literally the point about FFP that everyone is saying. It’s basically there to aid the clubs already sustainable and effectively hinders anyone having a fair crack.

we were miles behind them before we got relegated. Remember for years we had to sell to buy, we had this £15m cap on player signings. Whilst other clubs you'd consider to be of similar size or smaller we're spending way more than us right up until SR blew £100m on mainly shite. Before that we were net spend champions for many years. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

This chart shows him being a bit of a Primeira Liga rockstar except for touches in the box, non-penalty goals and aerial duels. So for me he is probably more of a Lavia than a Bryan Robson. But I agree he is more of an 8 than 6. He would be Morgan, while Big Les plays the Big Vic role in a double pivot. But where does that leave Flynn?

I think Flynn and Les are your double pivot with Mateus a backup/stand in for Les when we are playing a team we can be more progressive against.

AM still a role we need to cover as I’d imagine that to be Will or Charley as it stands.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, trousers said:

Maybe the plan is to fill our half of the pitch with defensive midfielders so that the ball never gets anywhere near one of our substandard goalkeepers...? ;)

Five defenders, five defensive midfielders, 37 0-0 draws and we stay up with 37 points and a goal difference of minus 1 😱

• Haha 4