Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

8 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I agree. The fact Hoffenheim have done this to 3 players/clubs now speaks volumes.

Guess we will see. If he is signed by someone else for a similar value then we will know it was Hoffenheim playing silly buggers. If no one else takes it a punt then we can infer it's a tad more serious than we thought. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Arsenal looking for 6 million pound loan fee for ramsdale. Along with wages that's pretty obscene. I'd probably rather go for Johnstone if those are the choices but I can see why we are looking at players like steele in terms of value for money. 

They couldn’t sell due to their high asking price, I’d be surprised if anyone loans him for £6M unless it’s with option to buy.

i can see him being a deadline day move when Arsenal lower their asking price to get him out. 

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Is it a brand new issue or congenital?

Our medical team wouldn't see it if there were arrows on the x-ray.

From what RM said when this came up the other day, it sounds like at some point ABK had some sort of non-urgent, heart-related standard procedure carried out, and it was not a secret. Whether it was with us or elswhere......who knows?

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

MoR and Ramsdale are just days away, yes?

You got inside info? Because it’s certainly not something I’ve said you monumental bell.

I know the interest is there for Ramsdale, it has been for weeks, but rightly so we aren’t going to bend over backwards and pay silly money.

Player values drop the final week of the window because suddenly clubs want to balance the books.

ABK won’t be here at the end of the window, probably loaned out now instead, less risk for a buying club.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

They would have said he failed the medical if this was the case, not announced that they basically tried to change the terms of the deal (which is effectively what they've done 😅🤦‍♂️🤷‍♀️) and couldn't reach an agreement.

Fully on Saints' side with this one. They announced a routine heart condition publicly to the press (zero need for this) to try and force our hand and reduce the value of the player and further pressure us, and then they've tried to renegotiate the terms. We've seemingly told them to Foxtrot Oscar. 3rd time they've done it this summer as well. Extremely bizarre to then try and turn what is a collapsed player sale (to a club taking the piss) as yet another opportunity to beat saints around the head.

Some crazy toxic narratives out already this season - we've just been promoted, and yet anywhere you look you'll find people having a go at the club, the manager, macca etc. Sad state of affairs.

I agree with most of that, shitty behaviour from them. No criticism of Saints at all. Not fair on ABK either, even if he has allegedly behaved like an arse at times.

The last paragraph is a bit OTT, no fans of any club would be happy about conceding a goal like that and wasting a decent performance at a tough away game. Whether it’s the player or the manager.

The transfer business has widely been recognised as sensible and good this summer which it hasn’t been since Ronald, GK is the one exception. Some of the fanbase are frustrated that they see - rightly or wrongly - Gavin prioritised as a vanity project by SR when eventually fit again which is suspected to be behind Alex’s unexpected new contract and the difficulties in moving on with a #1 keeper clearly needed (along with PSR/££).

Alternatively the club use Alex but accept that he needs to put his foot through the ball to the wings, not trying pretty triangles on the edge of his own area. Because he was solid on everything else Saturday.

No-one at the club can reasonably gripe about the above. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint

23 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Arsenal looking for 6 million pound loan fee for ramsdale. Along with wages that's pretty obscene. I'd probably rather go for Johnstone if those are the choices but I can see why we are looking at players like steele in terms of value for money. 

Not cheap. Sort of amount you'd expect for a guy worth £40m though

I can see some people on here saying the £10m-£15m we would give up if KWP stayed would be worth it. I guess the £12m spent on Ramsdale might be seen in the same light. However, if you do both, that's a lot money spent to earn an extra £70m or so next season.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Not cheap. Sort of amount you'd expect for a guy worth £40m though

I can see some people on here saying the £10m-£15m we would give up if KWP stayed would be worth it. I guess the £12m spent on Ramsdale might be seen in the same light. However, if you do both, that's a lot money spent to earn an extra £70m or so next season.

Particularly if we don't stay up. We could be rueing that as we may then have to spend more on another keeper next season in the championship. 

You have to take some gambles to have a hope of staying up these days, and the difference between our GK situation and Ramsdale is so drastic that it feels like a must even at those prices. The source is footyinsider for what it's worth, so probably nonsense anyway.

Whether the people within the club who haven't had the same level of urgency throughout the Summer feel the same remains to be seen. 

3 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

You have to take some gambles to have a hope of staying up these days, and the difference between our GK situation and Ramsdale is so drastic that it feels like a must even at those prices. The source is footyinsider for what it's worth, so probably nonsense anyway.

Whether the people within the club who haven't had the same level of urgency throughout the Summer feel the same remains to be seen. 

I'd be very surprised if the club chose to spend £12m (fee and wages) loaning Ramsdale. Just seems like a huge number. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'd be very surprised if the club chose to spend £12m (fee and wages) loaning Ramsdale. Just seems like a huge number. 

Agreed. When there's other positions that need strengthening you'd imagine that's a high percentage of our remaining budget. 

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

One Shea Charles for the sake of making us that much better?

It is of course, and I don't think the number would be quite so high if Ramsdale is pushing for a move by the end of the window, but it's remarkably justifiable in my mind.

• Like 1

If we are looking at bringing in a new goalkeeper we cannot afford to enter into the games of brinkmanship that go on late in the window. That risks us ending up with no one. Maybe that is how the club will sell it to the fans - we tried but it fell through at the last minute. If we are genuinely looking we need to get a deal done sooner rather than later. It still leaves me feeling the club want to stick with McCarthy until Baz is fit so I suspect that is what will happen. It could prove to be a huge mistake.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

yeah, I keep mentioning him on here. That's what I do. Find a player I like and repeatedly mention him on here until the Saints scouts wake the fuck up and do as I suggest - recommend we sign him.

But he aint coming to us. He is too expensive, and he has a nightmare situation with two agents claiming ownership and one of those wanting a massive personal fee. That is why the Rennes deal fell through and I dare say why we won't touch him with a barge pole. Which is a shame, as he was one of the most impressive players I saw at SMS last season. Oozed talent, class and time on the ball.    

I did the same with Tall Paul, I said sign him up lads he is banging them in 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

#SaintsFC and Strasbourg have reached and agreement for the sale of Sekou Mara worth €12m. Personal terms still to be agreed — possible signing at the end of the week. 

Some good news that I didn't really expect, especially after ABK fell through.

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

#SaintsFC and Strasbourg have reached and agreement for the sale of Sekou Mara worth €12m. Personal terms still to be agreed — possible signing at the end of the week. 

Unless their medical time detect that he's got piles on Thursday evening...

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

If we are looking at bringing in a new goalkeeper we cannot afford to enter into the games of brinkmanship that go on late in the window. That risks us ending up with no one. Maybe that is how the club will sell it to the fans - we tried but it fell through at the last minute. If we are genuinely looking we need to get a deal done sooner rather than later. It still leaves me feeling the club want to stick with McCarthy until Baz is fit so I suspect that is what will happen. It could prove to be a huge mistake.

If anyone at the club thinks that having the keeper who was third choice in the Championship as the starting keeper in the Premier League is a realistic solution for the whole season then quite frankly we deserve to be relegated. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Goodbye Sekou ...thank fuck!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Chez said:

I've missed these posts. We need to see this image at least once a week trousers. 

If Russ persists in trotting out the "Ross Stewart will be back in full training next week" line ad-infinitum then your wish may well be granted... ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

With Brighton reportedly going in for O’Riley (and with the big bucks to do it), you’d have to imagine we’re out the running which is why we’ve opted for different midfield targets - Fernandez looks like our alternative and a good one at that.

39 minutes ago, saintant said:

It doesn’t matter who’s in goal, as soon as he makes a fuck up he’ll get hammered. 
shit happens, keepers make mistakes and usually get punished. 
let’s not forget BBD missed not quite a sitter but not far away, as did smallbone and AA

RM didn’t exactly cover himself in glory either….

end of the day I was very pleased with our general play

just have a bit of patience 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Matty's Caddy said:

Hes 22 playing in a side that isn’t set up to play to his strengths 

Just out of interest, what sort of side do you think he would do better in? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

https://x.com/Millar_Colin/status/1825609598105268604?t=eRnp_wdkbAA3mZy9X_XuoQ&s=19

The transfer market is crazy right now. Some weird ffp shenanigans are afoot.

Chelsea working the rules.

They need the immediate profit.

So they buy Felix, splitting the cost, across as long a contract as they can get away with. Madrid then use the funds they get to purchase Gallagher. As he's home grown, any sale will be pure profit for Chelsea. Madrid will defer that cost across a similarly long contract.

Clubs will develop relationships to assist each other to get round the rules.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saintant said:

It’s a risk we can’t afford to take.

39 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Just out of interest, what sort of side do you think he would do better in? 

Any side that gets the ball across early, as opposed to working the ball around the back 4/5 to eventually get a 1on1 against the full back, get to the byline then back to the keeper. 
hope this helps. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matty's Caddy said:

Any side that gets the ball across early, as opposed to working the ball around the back 4/5 to eventually get a 1on1 against the full back, get to the byline then back to the keeper. 
hope this helps. 

Do we know any such side?

1 hour ago, trousers said:

If Russ persists in trotting out the "Ross Stewart will be back in full training next week" line ad-infinitum then your wish may well be granted... ;)

"you'll see him galavanting and skipping over the grass next week." It's always just one more week away...

• Like 1

Presumably Mara and his agent have agreed to go to a club, that better suits him. Win for us, getting the fee. But also to see how he gets on. Martin said he works very hard in training. This will be a chance for that to pay off. His all round game will have got better under Martin, even if we didn't often see the results. All good things for him to have going forward.

28 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Chelsea working the rules.

They need the immediate profit.

So they buy Felix, splitting the cost, across as long a contract as they can get away with. Madrid then use the funds they get to purchase Gallagher. As he's home grown, any sale will be pure profit for Chelsea. Madrid will defer that cost across a similarly long contract.

Clubs will develop relationships to assist each other to get round the rules.

In that vein and given that we seemingly have a decent relationship with them, I wonder if we could exploit that so they can offload one of their keepers to us? 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

"you'll see him galavanting and skipping over the grass next week." It's always just one more week away...

Indeed. What I can't work out is whether managers that keep saying 'player X' is "close", when they're not, genuinely believe that fans won't see through the subterfuge, or are just so thick skinned that they don't care how daft it makes them look....

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

In that vein and given that we seemingly have a decent relationship with them, I wonder if we could exploit that so they can offload one of their keepers to us? 

I wonder what's going on with Petrovic. Played a decent number of games last season and actually looked quite good but now he seems to be third choice. Would definitely take him. 

Just seen that it's been spotted online that the same private aircraft which flew from Lisbon to Southampton last night is now flying from Southampton to Strasbourg

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

Just seen that it's been spotted online that the same private aircraft which flew from Lisbon to Southampton last night is now flying from Southampton to Strasbourg

Is it being flown by Russ?

Just now, trousers said:

Can we buy a Jeremy Vardy esque goal poacher please...? #IngsWouldDo

:)

Knowing Saints, we'd go for Jamie Vardy and end up with Jeremy Vardy, the plumber from Lancaster.

• Haha 2

Just now, SNSUN said:

Knowing Saints, we'd go for Jamie Vardy and end up with Jeremy Vardy, the plumber from Lancaster.

Bugger... Knew some bright spark would spot the typo before I fixed it... ;) 😂

• Haha 1