Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 hours ago, igsey said:

McCarthy had at least three options, plus hoofing it, in the end he picked none of them and didn't even pretend to try to save the subsequent shot.

Codswallop. He had no chance of saving the shot after his cockup. Joelinton's (?) shot was also expertly placed. 

I know AM had a howler, but it's actually not much good keeping a clean sheet if we can't score, it's valid to say he cost us a point, but that's all.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Codswallop. He had no chance of saving the shot after his cockup. Joelinton's (?) shot was also expertly placed. 

I know AM had a howler, but it's actually not much good keeping a clean sheet if we can't score, it's valid to say he cost us a point, but that's all.

The effect was greater than that. Once they had a lead they could afford to sit back and concentrate on defending it.  No amount of ‘Dicking Around At The Back’©️ was ever going to entice them out and open up avenues of attack.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, a1ex2001 said:

15-20m also makes a big difference on what we can spend this year in terms of the fair play regs letting him go for nothing next year see's us not only loose out on the fee but on the financial breathing room to bring someone else in.

Fair point of view, but I still think we'll be better off keeping him.

Glass half empty: The deal has fallen through and that's demoralising for ABK and for Saints

Glass half full: The outcome of all the medical tests can't have been that bad if they were still willing to sign him but just wanted to renegotiate the terms*

*depending on what exact the suggested renegotiation was, to make Saints decline

6 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Isnt this something like the third centre back Hoffenheim have pulled out of buying at the last minute this summer? Sounds like a crazy club. 

Yeah, sounds a bit suspect doesn’t it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chez said:

if we are going to pass it short (a lot) deep in our own half, then it's inevitable that the keeper will see the ball a fair bit. He therefore simply has to be decent with the ball. If he is not, then you have to adjust the philosophy/style/tactic.

Which Baz is very good at but what do we do in the meantime?

4 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Glass half empty: The deal has fallen through and that's demoralising for ABK and for Saints

Glass half full: The outcome of all the medical tests can't have been that bad if they were still willing to sign him but just wanted to renegotiate the terms*

*depending on what exact the suggested renegotiation was, to make Saints decline

Where's the evidence that we were the ones to decline things? 

22 minutes ago, DT said:

🚨 Breaking: Armel Bella-Kotchap’s proposed move to Hoffenheim is 100% OFF #saintsfc @Plettigoal

After failing a medical for a heart condition, it seems best to keep him this season, prove he is fit and can play, then sell him in January or next summer. If he plays a few games at the level he did last time in the Premier League, then we will get bids higher than we were willing to sell him to Hoffenheim.

The knock-on effect is worrying though. Are we still going to get the GK (loan), AM, RW and ST that we are hoping for before the window closes?

Selling Alcaraz, Mara and Onuachu now becomes a necessity and we would ideally move on some of Lis, Manning, Bree, Larios, Charles and Aribo too. I'd add Sulemana to that list but his injury seems to have ruled him out of a move. Stewart is in the same situation as ABK - needs to prove fitness before a possible sale (though I still have hope he can be a contributor).

Edited by Luke SkyWalker-Peters

1 minute ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

After failing a medical for a heart condition, it seems best to him this season, prove he is fit and can play, then sell him in January or next summer. If he plays a few games at the level he did last time in the Premier League, then we will get bids higher than we were willing to sell him to Hoffenheim.

The knock-on effect is worrying though. Are we still going to get the GK (loan), AM, RW and ST that we are hoping for before the window closes?

Selling Alcaraz, Mara and Onuachu now becomes a necessity and we would ideally move on some of Lis, Manning, Bree, Larios, Charles and Aribo too. I'd add Sulemana to that list but his injury seems to have ruled him out of a move. Stewart is in the same situation as ABK - needs to prove fitness before a possible sale (though I still have hope he can be a contributor).

Who does ABK deserve to play instead of? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

This is terrible news. How on earth are we going to shift him now? Might be forced to be a loan with option to buy and cross our fingers that he shows something during that time. 

We could try and get him to play for us. There’s a novel idea. If he refuses on the grounds of being injured and the medical team say that he’s fine, we simply stop paying him. If he plays we promise him a move at the end of the season.

9 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Which Baz is very good at but what do we do in the meantime?

The trouble is Baz hasn't demonstrated that other, boring side of the job ... keeping the ball out of the back of the net.

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Where's the evidence that we were the ones to decline things? 

I was taking it from 'no final agreement after the medical'. Since this has clearly been briefed from the other end of the deal, if they'd simply pulled the plug due to the medical, I think they would've said so, rather than that they were unable to reach an agreement after finishing the medical tests

22 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Isnt this something like the third centre back Hoffenheim have pulled out of buying at the last minute this summer? Sounds like a crazy club. 

They'll feel silly, when it turns out that people using the microwave in the next room, was messing up their equipment.

It wouldn't be the first time a club has come up with issues with the medical, solely as a negotiating tool.

Hopefully nothing really to it, and that the obvious implications putting off others don't get in the way of a departure this summer.

10 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

We could try and get him to play for us. There’s a novel idea. If he refuses on the grounds of being injured and the medical team say that he’s fine, we simply stop paying him. If he plays we promise him a move at the end of the season.

We don't have the space in the squad to be honest. Woods, Edwards, THB, Bednarek, Stephens, Taylor. No room for any other centre back. 

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

If its true that celtic want 26 million for O'riley you'd have to think there was more than the fee for the reason we aren't going for it. Maybe he has turned us down or prefers elsewhere which is fair enough. I can't see us not going for it and the other dropping 18 million on a 20 year old in a less crucial position. 

Depends if the latter is deemed to have higher resale value

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We don't have the space in the squad to be honest. Woods, Edwards, THB, Bednarek, Stephens, Taylor. No room for any other centre back. 

Meanwhile in Rasmus' HQ....

Too many CBs...

Need a new 'keeper...

Outfield players can convert to 'keepers. Look at our success with Baz...

Hmmmm...

And the big question...is it left field enough? 

Yes!

Problem solved!

36 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Sounds like a cub with a meticulous medical team. Perhaps if ours had the same clout, the deal for Stewart would have been abandoned, fallen through or at the very least loaded in our favour. 

Someone may have already posted this, but how about we make a bid for their medical team. Could save us millions in the long run.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SaintLondon said:

I think the club have probably long moved on from MOR so I'm now more interested in who else they've set their sights on. Only thing that could work in our favour is if the Shea Charles to Celtic thing is a reality but even then, they'd most likely be separate deals anyway so irrelevant. 

I think if we make the sales we need, we will pay Celtic what they want. 

3 hours ago, Jaime said:

Gustavo Hamer would be a cracking alternative... and cheaper if its about the fee or getting money from player sales first 

if we are looking for an alternative, then my vote is for Yaser Asprilla.

Alternatively, let's get Gundogan. I can dream, can't I?

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

if we are looking for an alternative, then my vote is for Yaser Asprilla.

Alternatively, let's get Gundogan. I can dream, can't I?

I haven't really seen anything of Asprilla but his is another name that has been mentioned numerous times (though with no actual links suggesting we are interested).

Watford are resigned to losing him for the right price

Edited by Jaime
Spellchecker brain freeze

6 minutes ago, Jaime said:

I haven't really seen anything of Asprilla but his is another name that has been mentioned numerous times (though with no actual links suggesting we are interested).

Watford are resigned to losing him for the right price

yeah, I keep mentioning him on here. That's what I do. Find a player I like and repeatedly mention him on here until the Saints scouts wake the fuck up and do as I suggest - recommend we sign him.

But he aint coming to us. He is too expensive, and he has a nightmare situation with two agents claiming ownership and one of those wanting a massive personal fee. That is why the Rennes deal fell through and I dare say why we won't touch him with a barge pole. Which is a shame, as he was one of the most impressive players I saw at SMS last season. Oozed talent, class and time on the ball.    

42 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Taylor is a LB but yeah they have jumped the gun with Wood, we must be looking to stick with a back 3 all season and use Wood and Edwards in the cups

11 minutes ago, Mixedkebab said:

Taylor is a LB but yeah they have jumped the gun with Wood, we must be looking to stick with a back 3 all season and use Wood and Edwards in the cups

According to some Burnley fans after we signeed him, Taylor was utilised as a centre half at times last season so we probably see him as adequate cover at a push.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 3

I think we'll struggle to shift ABK for any notable fee now. Hoffenheim were utter shithouses releasing the news about his heart. There's no way clubs will commit anywhere near what we want now

We either take a nominal fee, or we loan him out for the rest of his contract and earn a loan fee every year. Will probably be the latter.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

If its true that celtic want 26 million for O'riley you'd have to think there was more than the fee for the reason we aren't going for it. Maybe he has turned us down or prefers elsewhere which is fair enough. I can't see us not going for it and the other dropping 18 million on a 20 year old in a less crucial position. 

Not at all sold on O'Riley, so will be very happy if we don't spunk £26M (of our very tight budget) up the wall on him.

Edited by Saint86

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Hoffenheim were utter shithouses releasing the news about his heart. There's no way clubs will commit anywhere near what we want now

Any medical he does for any club would pick it up, so it being public doesn't impact that.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Sounds like a cub with a meticulous medical team. Perhaps if ours had the same clout, the deal for Stewart would have been abandoned, fallen through or at the very least loaded in our favour. 

Someone may have already posted this, but how about we make a bid for their medical team. Could save us millions in the long run.

They would have said he failed the medical if this was the case, not announced that they basically tried to change the terms of the deal (which is effectively what they've done 😅🤦‍♂️🤷‍♀️) and couldn't reach an agreement.

Fully on Saints' side with this one. They announced a routine heart condition publicly to the press (zero need for this) to try and force our hand and reduce the value of the player and further pressure us, and then they've tried to renegotiate the terms. We've seemingly told them to Foxtrot Oscar. 3rd time they've done it this summer as well. Extremely bizarre to then try and turn what is a collapsed player sale (to a club taking the piss) as yet another opportunity to beat saints around the head.

Some crazy toxic narratives out already this season - we've just been promoted, and yet anywhere you look you'll find people having a go at the club, the manager, macca etc. Sad state of affairs.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

They would have said he failed the medical if this was the case, not announced that they basically tried to change the terms of the deal and couldn't reach an agreement.

not sure who you are talking about, the Hoffenheim medical team in relation to ABK or Stewart, or indeed what your point is.  Can you clarify?

Arsenal looking for 6 million pound loan fee for ramsdale. Along with wages that's pretty obscene. I'd probably rather go for Johnstone if those are the choices but I can see why we are looking at players like steele in terms of value for money. 

13 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

They would have said he failed the medical if this was the case, not announced that they basically tried to change the terms of the deal (which is effectively what they've done 😅🤦‍♂️🤷‍♀️) and couldn't reach an agreement.

Fully on Saints' side with this one. They announced a routine heart condition publicly to the press (zero need for this) to try and force our hand and reduce the value of the player and further pressure us, and then they've tried to renegotiate the terms. We've seemingly told them to Foxtrot Oscar. 3rd time they've done it this summer as well. Extremely bizarre to then try and turn what is a collapsed player sale (to a club taking the piss) as yet another opportunity to beat saints around the head.

Some crazy toxic narratives out already this season - we've just been promoted, and yet anywhere you look you'll find people having a go at the club, the manager, macca etc. Sad state of affairs.

I agree. The fact Hoffenheim have done this to 3 players/clubs now speaks volumes.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Arsenal looking for 6 million pound loan fee for ramsdale. Along with wages that's pretty obscene. I'd probably rather go for Johnstone if those are the choices but I can see why we are looking at players like steele in terms of value for money. 

about right to be fair. If we were to buy him permanently £30m+ on a 4 year deal is the same rate so £6m for a year for a keeper of that quality is about what you'd expect to pay. If he wins us 8-10 points then it'll be worth every penny.

• Like 4

Just now, Turkish said:

about right to be fair. If we were to buy him permanently £30m+ on a 4 year deal is the same rate so £6m for a year for a keeper of that quality is about what you'd expect to pay. If he wins us 8-10 points then it'll be worth every penny.

Yes it's probably the price you have to pay. I can't see us going for it though gi en we could buy Johnstone for 10 on lower wages and own the asset at the end of it. Alternatively someone like steele we'd probably just have to pay the substantially lower wages. 

• Like 1