Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

19 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

In Baz's case, likely about 55.

It'll be you moaning when he has his first good season and ditches us for a slightly bigger club.

He was playing professional football for his country and was the best keeper in League One when he was 18-19. It isn't his fault he was thrown in at the deep end when he was clearly not ready. But there's very clearly huge talent there.

• Like 8
  • Haha 11

43 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

We wouldn’t have been promoted with him in goal, although we can’t be 100% certain, I am 99%. One of the worst shot stoppers I’ve seen for us in any league 

And yet there we were, fourth in the league, within a couple of points of the automatic spots, having won all three games against WBA and Leeds when he got injured. If you’re 99% that literally the exact thing that’s already happened couldn’t happen then fair enough. I disagree.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pierre2 said:

Justin Bijlow is perfectly suited for our system

He seems to be a goalkeeper who can save the ball and pass it as well...what's not to like, get him on board the bus and give him a seat up top at the front.

So after Fernandes, we still want a GK - which according to Alfie House will be a loan. You’d anticipate this is likely to come from the Prem, which will use up our two domestic loan spots.

So consensus is we then also need an attacking midfielder and another forward. Have we got the funds to cover both these positions on a permanent basis? Especially if one of those is MOR at over £25m+

41 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

we still want a GK - which according to Alfie House will be a loan.

Smart move is to loan a keeper from a top team that we're not expected to beat. The reason being, McCarthy will have to play in two games this season (against the lending team). So we're going to lose. Against Arsenal, for example, we will probably lose twice anyway so it doesn't make any difference.

Think About It GIF by Identity

2 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

So after Fernandes, we still want a GK - which according to Alfie House will be a loan. You’d anticipate this is likely to come from the Prem, which will use up our two domestic loan spots.

If its a loan, from the PL and someone we have been linked with then there is IMO one candidate that is by far the most likely and that is Jason Steele.

He isn't the best overall GK around but is excellent (easily one of the PL's best) with his feet which is almost entirely the reason why McCarthy isn't suitable for this team. De Zerbi binned off Sanchez in favour of Steele because of his ability to play out from the back, in a very similar way to we do.

He started for Brighton yesterday but only because Verbruggen, who is their clear #1 has a small injury. Steele started I think 17 PL games last season but eventually BV took over and is a considerably more valuable asset as well.

Their other keeper is Carl Rushworth who is a top prospect and arguably the best in the Championship last season. There were reports this morning that he isn't being allowed out on loan - and if true it would be utterly pointless having someone of his profile as a 3rd choice. It points to Steele being allowed out.

Add to this that he is good pals with Lallana (they lived in the same apartment block) and likely knows RM in some capacity then I think this is the obvious move.

Not convinced we have £10m to spend on Sam Johnstone - and is he good with his feet anyway?

Ramsdale due to wages, competition and the fact Arsenal want a permanent sale has always felt unrealistic.

Dubravka was awful last season for Newcastle and would be a big disappointment.

Steele is the obvious and realistic option and would at least suit how we play which at this stage has to be the main consideration.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12854916/jason-steele-s-passing-under-pressure-for-brighton-under-roberto-de-zerbi-has-seen-him-replace-robert-sanchez

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

So consensus is we then also need an attacking midfielder and another forward. Have we got the funds to cover both these positions on a permanent basis? Especially if one of those is MOR at over £25m+

From what I can find out, Big Les does not count as one of the PL loans because he is u21. 

Possibly he doesn't count because he isn't a club-trained player (for 3 years), I think he has only been Chelsea for one season. PL U21 loans don't count if they have been club trained for 3 years.

Edited by VectisSaint
Clarified the club trained bit
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

What did Alfie say?

Just a keeper AFTER Fernandes signs?

Not sure but from what Martin said before and after the Newcastle game, we are clearly looking at bringing in another attacking player.

Edited by Harry_SFC

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Ok, cool.  I'll listen to TSP tomorrow and see what he says.

He doesn't talk about other players. He just said that he can see fernandes challenging Aribo. They all said that Steele seems likely and that Ramsdale would only happen right at the end of the window if he doesn't get a better offer and Arsenal look to offload his wages. Another person on there mentioned a winger. No other players mentioned from Alfie unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Loans between Premier League clubs and other English counterparts are officially called temporary transfers.

Under the rules in the Premier League Handbook 2024/25 (Download PDF, size: 18.2MB), there are restrictions on how many players Premier League clubs can loan from other Premier League/English clubs.

They are:
- Premier League clubs may not register more than two players on loan at any one time.
- The maximum number of loans registrable in the same season is four, and, under no circumstances, shall more than one be from the same club at any one time.
- Premier League clubs cannot loan to another Premier League club a player they have acquired in the same transfer window.
- A Premier League club may loan not more than one of its goalkeepers to another Premier League club

21 minutes ago, Dusic said:

https://twitter.com/sachatavolieri/status/1825219734230409607?s=19

Another wide attacker to cross off the list - we have been linked with enough that surely we want one but must be way down our list by this point!

19 years old, plays for gent. Got 4 goal involvements last season over 26 games. Can't say I'm too sad that he's staying put...

39 minutes ago, Dusic said:

https://twitter.com/sachatavolieri/status/1825219734230409607?s=19

Another wide attacker to cross off the list - we have been linked with enough that surely we want one but must be way down our list by this point!

Belgian Alex Crook, isn't he? Had little clue about the Lavia move last summer and occasionally links us to a random player playing in Belgium that comes to nothing and gets no mention from the reliable people on Twitter. 

21 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

19 years old, plays for gent. Got 4 goal involvements last season over 26 games. Can't say I'm too sad that he's staying put...

I did some research when we were first linked and they moved him to playing striker for the European playoffs and he got something like 8 goals in 10 games so he’s not that bad but probably not what we need right now. Always had the feeling the link was driven more by Gent or agent than Saints anyway.

On the keeper front, we've massivley shot ourselves in the foot by offering Lumley a new deal half way through last season (why?) then after that, McCarthy a new one at the end of the season (again, why?). I appreciate they're probably both cheap options, but it was so clear we needed an upgrade. 

The oversight of such an important position is bordering on negligence from Martin / the board. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dman said:

On the keeper front, we've massivley shot ourselves in the foot by offering Lumley a new deal half way through last season (why?) then after that, McCarthy a new one at the end of the season (again, why?). I appreciate they're probably both cheap options, but it was so clear we needed an upgrade. 

The oversight of such an important position is bordering on negligence from Martin / the board. 

Spot on, ridiculous decision but I notice one of Martins groupies thinks its funny

Why was Lumley the no2 last season but as soon as Bazunu was injured in came McCarthy..... Baffling

Edited by tdmickey3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

So Chelsea are desperate to sell the following, 

Broja

Sterling

Lukaku

Chalobah

Chilwell

Gallagher 

Chukwuemenka

we wouldn't be able to afford any of their wages nor a fee and we have loaned Lesley U from them 😞 

Amazing how Chelsea have backed themselves into a corner

Chelsea need to sell/loan Kepa, Sterling, Chilwell, Disasi, Carney, Petrovic, Lukaku, Chalobah and Gallagher in the next ten days

Edited by le_tiss

I'd take any of the Sunderland forward line - we were linked to Roberts last season but got Stewart instead 🙄 Clarke is excellent and that young striker really looks the goods.  But we MUST get a keeper - let's just get Ramsdale, may cost a bit but could end up saving us millions by keeping us up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, le_tiss said:

So Chelsea are desperate to sell the following, 

Broja

Sterling

Lukaku

Chalobah

Chilwell

Gallagher 

Chukwuemenka

we wouldn't be able to afford any of their wages nor a fee and we have loaned Lesley U from them 😞 

Amazing how Chelsea have backed themselves into a corner

Broja would work well in our front line if he was anything like when he played for us previously, but as you say, we wouldn't be able to afford him.

• Like 2

No revelations but my instincts tell me If anyone is still in the race for MOR it’s us. We still need goals from attacking players.  He ticks both boxes.

The probable purchase of Fernandes does not change that imo. The ultimate impotency of our attacking yesterday can only underline the point we need finishers. 

The probable sale or loaning out of various of our players could fund MOR. And maybe a surprise sale as well. 

Basically - Shea, Paul, Charlie and others need leave first for MOR to happen. 

That’s my gut feel. 

And our starting line up come October will be rather different than Saturday. I’d expect:

1. New GK

2. Lesley to start and 

3. MOR to start. 

Who gets dropped? Alex, Jack and Will/Joe. 

NB having said that Tyler’s excellent progress has got me hoping that he =  MOR minus a year of scoring goals in Scotland. If he can score a few in early matches maybe the Attacking mf position is resolved in house. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

So our line up in a couple of weeks or so might be...

Ramsdale

Suga Bed THB KWP

Downes Lesley

Fernandes 

AA BBD

Archer

Subs

Fraser

Clarke

Stephens 

Edwards

SAA

Dibling

Smallbone

AMcC

Edozie

Stewart

I've probably missed a couple but that would be much healthier!!!

Apparently interested in another 20 year old midfielder, Oliver Arblaster from Sheff Utd.  Ipswich and Brentford also in the running.  Dunno anything about him except he was made captain against Man United last season having only played 10 games.  Source:  Mike McGrath

2 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Jack Clarke would be a great signing. Leeds reportedly interested and they may have the money to do it now they've sold both Somerville and Rutter. We probably needing to sell Alcaraz, ABK and TP before we do anything like this 

Whats the current situation re Bella Kotcha?

Has Mara actually gone?

I guess the club would like to get rid of Sulemana  but nothing can be done until his injury clears up.

Presumably he will be on the fringes of the squad until January when someone may come in for him.

No news on a contract for KWP and I guess we have to await feedback on Shea Charles's position.

Lots going on in the next couple of weeks.

44 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

As well as new players, we should be doing everything we can to keep KWP. Still think he’s our best player and could be the difference between staying up or not. 

It does seem to have gone very quiet with KWP - don't remember any recent links to other clubs since the West Ham chat. 

I wonder if there's a point at which the new contract offer that we've apparently got on the table starts to look attractive? Feels unlikely though. At best we'd probably get one more half season out of him, then someone comes in with a proper low-ball offer in January, which the club are forced to accept to avoid losing him for zero in the summer. 

2 hours ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

I'd take any of the Sunderland forward line - we were linked to Roberts last season but got Stewart instead 🙄 Clarke is excellent and that young striker really looks the goods.  But we MUST get a keeper - let's just get Ramsdale, may cost a bit but could end up saving us millions by keeping us up

But from what I hear, Ramsdale is dodgy with ball at his feet? Not sure if it's true as I haven't really watched him much

Just now, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

But from what I hear, Ramsdale is dodgy with ball at his feet? Not sure if it's true as I haven't really watched him much

Charly Alcaraz can confirm that Ramsdale is not always the best with the ball at his feet. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

It's the reason he's not no1 at Arsenal

3 hours ago, tdmickey3 said:

Why was Lumley the no2 last season but as soon as Bazunu was injured in came McCarthy..... Baffling

A good question.

Speculating here, as I don't know, but was McCarthy injured for periods of the second half of last season? He was on the bench for the first half of the season, but then it was Lumley. I think the goal Lumley conceded at Watford put some doubt into RMs mind, although Lumley continued to be on the bench after that game. There was a thought that there might be another contract situation, where if he played x number of games, he got his contract automatically renewed (as was the case the previous season), but not sure that was the case.

When push came to shove, RM went for his more experienced man, and he was right to do so, but it doesn't explain why he didn't have him as his number 2 prior to that.

Yeah, I can't answer your question. RM just changed his mind. It's his prerogative.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

He doesn't talk about other players. He just said that he can see fernandes challenging Aribo. They all said that Steele seems likely and that Ramsdale would only happen right at the end of the window if he doesn't get a better offer and Arsenal look to offload his wages. Another person on there mentioned a winger. No other players mentioned from Alfie unfortunately. 

Interesting that Steve, and obviously he can speak for himself on here if he wishes, felt Steele was great with his feet but not a good shot stopper. In the same league as Baz/McCarthy. 

Also interesting that Alfie felt Johnstone was as bad as McCarthy with his feet, so not a great fit for us. 

Some positive news on our sick notes: Ross, Adam and Sully.

Martin told the Daily Echo: “I think they’ll all be back on the grass next week.

“You’ll see them smiling and running around with the lads. They are all quite advanced in their rehab so they will be back.

“Hopefully in contention for the Carabao Cup game. I would suggest Forest after only a few days of training next week would be maybe too much.

“We’ll see – but we are hopeful that the week after that, all three of them will be back in contention properly.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1