Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

21 minutes ago, washsaint said:

As others have said, seems like a very odd signing as we have plenty of midfielders and is very unproven.  I imagine Charles not being in the squad yesterday means he's off.

I'd be sad to see Alcaraz go as he looked great when he came on and, unlike most of the team, offered a real attacking threat by running at players and trying killer passes.

Stand by my comment yesterday that if we don't have a new GK in by the next game it will be criminal.  McCarthy was never the answer.

Alcaraz wants to go. Club policy has been not to keep players who want away and he is one of the players who will earn us much needed money to buy. So let's get on with it.

16 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

We might have won. If not the unnecessary goal and conceding 0-1, they wouldn’t have parked the bus and they would have tried to come out and win, which would have left us some more spaces for our attack and we would have been more likely to win as they had only 10 men.  Once 0-1 and they resolved to defend for life, we didn’t have any chance. 

Too may ifs and mights.

10 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

Alcaraz wants to go. Club policy has been not to keep players who want away and he is one of the players who will earn us much needed money to buy. So let's get on with it.

Since when? When Carlos returned after a loan spell he wanted to come back and stay from what I read. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, washsaint said:

As others have said, seems like a very odd signing as we have plenty of midfielders and is very unproven. 

We had 3 that started yesterday, 2 players on the bench who can play in those 3, one of those is seemingly on the move, the other is 18. Plenty :D 

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Fernandes feels more like a SR signing than a RM signing.

Every single thing you read or see about him smacks of an ideal Martin player. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Number one priority should be a new goalkeeper. Until that happens, I'm not really interested in who else is coming in. A goalkeeper the outfield players can rely on is key to our survival.

Definitely shared sentiment there I think mate. Most of us would be quite excited for a young prospect like Fernandes if it wasn’t for a huge GK shaped hole we need to fill.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

A wheelie bin left stationary in the middle of the goal would have a better save ratio than McCarthy 

I find it a bit silly when people talk about save ratios and saves after yesterday. McCarthy's performance yesterday was nothing to do with shot stopping. No one ? would have saved that goal yesterday. The cockup was his attempted pass/clearance which was abysmal. I'm not in any way defending AM but let's at least recognise the problem and not make things up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

Does anyone else think we need a new ‘keeper? Only ask because it doesn’t feel like it gets the attention it deserves.

I reckon you're on to something there....perhaps let the club know too...

• Like 1

The really distressing part is, as utterly wank as McCarthy is, he’s still better than all of our other goalkeeper options. Shocking indictment of our recruitment team. 

Imagine if Bazunu was fit. Nightmare. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Polegategavin243 said:

Why does everyone think that we will sign a further CF when we bought Archer. People need to appreciate that was the business we did for this position. The remaining business will be a goalkeeper (on loan) and an AMC and winger (probably Fraser). This would mean only needing to spend transfer budget on the AMC.

What if we sell Mara and/or Tall Paul?

4 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

The really distressing part is, as utterly wank as McCarthy is, he’s still better than all of our other goalkeeper options. Shocking indictment of our recruitment team. 

Imagine if Bazunu was fit. Nightmare. 

Am not a Baz fan, but if he was playing, we probably wouldn't have conceded a goal like yesterday's. If he was as good with his hands as is feet, he'd be a top keeper.

6 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Am not a Baz fan, but if he was playing, we probably wouldn't have conceded a goal like yesterday's. If he was as good with his hands as is feet, he'd be a top keeper.

Agreed. It's a rarity but if Bazunu is playing we win that game. 

14 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Doesn’t change anything IMHO. They have never been in the plans, they simply provide more transfer funds once they are sold. The more important factor, is whether Stewart can become fit. Unlike a vast majority on here I believe if he gets fit he will Be like a new signing and will do well in our system.

15 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

My guess is that Mara is as good as gone, hence the fair play money/money for Archer. 

I don't think we'll get another striker either. The Portuguese kid, an attack attacking midfielder and possibly Fraser is all I think we'll get. 

18 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

We have Archer, Brereton Diaz, Armstrong & Stewart. That is enough strikers or you start bloating the squad and struggle to keep them happy even though some will be dismissive of Stewart due to injuries. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tom & Gerry said:

If we sign a new goalkeeper he will hopefully cut down on the number of errors playing out from the back, but don't expect them to be eliminated altogether. There is no super keeper that makes no errors. As Downes said, it's the way we play. If Ramsdale, for instance was so good at playing out from the back he'd be in the Arsenal team. The hardest thing in the Premier league is scoring goals as we saw yesterday when the goalkeeping mistake shouldn't have been crucial.

Getting that right should be our number 1 priority.

The challenge we're facing to find a new keeper is that we're basing our search on Martin's job description. That greatly reduces the number of candidates, never mind available/affordable candidates. There aren't that many keepers with the skill set to meet his "playing out from the back" demands, and even fewer who might be willing to join us, knowing that those demands place lots of additional pressure on their game, and could end up with hits to their reputation.

As much as I like the way we play, Martin has to temper his expectations of his keeper, and make it clear that there are moments when "clearing our lines" is more important than ball retention. Arguably, we get better, not worse, for having a Plan B because PL teams will definitely exploit our Plan A.

Now we're looking at more quality candidates.

But the decision may not be Martin's. It'll come down to who's available as the window starts to close.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Good news that Ramsdale is just days away, right?

And if we don't get him? Hopefully there won't be a knee jerk reaction. I remember Jason Steele from the Sunderland Til I Die series. Maybe a slight improvement on AMc but there again, anyone who owns a pair of gloves is probably better than AMc.

30 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

We have Archer, Brereton Diaz, Armstrong & Stewart. That is enough strikers or you start bloating the squad and struggle to keep them happy even though some will be dismissive of Stewart due to injuries. 

But are they clinical strikers?

1 minute ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

And if we don't get him? Hopefully there won't be a knee jerk reaction. I remember Jason Steele from the Sunderland Til I Die series. Maybe a slight improvement on AMc but there again, anyone who owns a pair of gloves is probably better than AMc.

Yeah it's definitely still an improvement but he's at the level of slight for sure.

Ramsdale I'd be over the moon. Johnstone I'd be happy with. Steele I'd begrudgingly take at this point.

37 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Then we’ll get relegated.  

• Like 2

McCarthy has a lot of strengths.  Good command of the area w incoming crosses, pretty good shot-stopping, good distribution. I feel like the occasional areas in passing out could be addressed by three things 1) given him encouragement to clear long when it's needed 2) lots of practice on the decision making for when that line has been crossed 3) agreement among defenders not to pass to him when its dangerously tight.     Maybe we'll find a better keeper -- I'd be delighted if we can -- but I think a higher priority still is a lethal striker proven at premier league level.

• Like 2

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

How many players per position do you want them to have?

I would argue that Armstrong and Diaz aren’t centre-forwards.  Meaning we have Tall Paul, Stewart, Mara and Archer.  If we get rid of Mara and Tall Paul that leaves Stewart and Archer.  Stewart seems to be permanently injured that leaves Archer.

I would like another centre-forward.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

But if Baz hadn't got that injury, we wouldn't haven't been playing Newcastle away - probably Preston or Oxford.

Swings and roundabouts really, but the reality is that not a single one of our 4 First Team GK's are good enough and won't ever be good enough for PL football, which is an absolute mess.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

McCarthy has a lot of strengths.  Good command of the area w incoming crosses, pretty good shot-stopping, good distribution. I feel like the occasional areas in passing out could be addressed by three things 1) given him encouragement to clear long when it's needed 2) lots of practice on the decision making for when that line has been crossed 3) agreement among defenders not to pass to him when its dangerously tight.     Maybe we'll find a better keeper -- I'd be delighted if we can -- but I think a higher priority still is a lethal striker proven at premier league level.

McCarthy is a competent keeper.  But with the ball at his feet, he’s the kid that always got picked last because he’s fucking shite.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

But if Baz hadn't got that injury, we wouldn't haven't been playing Newcastle away - probably Preston or Oxford.

Swings and roundabouts really, but the reality is that not a single one of our 4 First Team GK's are good enough and won't ever be good enough for PL football, which is an absolute mess.

I don’t know where this nonsense is coming from that we’d have definitely lost the playoffs with Bazunu. We won all three league games with him between the sticks and it’s hardly as if McC performed heroic save after save at Wembley. McCarthy was competent in a relatively small data sample of eight games at the end of last season. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 3

Just now, Lighthouse said:

I don’t know where this nonsense is coming from that we’d have definitely lost the playoffs with Bazunu. We won all three league games with him between the sticks and it’s hardly as if McC performed heroic save after save at Wembley. McCarthy was competent in a relatively small data sample of eight games at the end of last season. Nothing more, nothing less.

You talk complete shit when it comes to Bazunu.  He’s a fucking terrible shot stopper and we’re a better side without him.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

A wheelie bin left stationary in the middle of the goal would have a better save ratio than McCarthy 

And yet, scarily, he’s not even the worst keeper we have!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Nothing to suggest that about Bazunu. Do you know what age goalkeepers usually mature at? 

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Because he is absolute horseshit.  McCarthy settled the defence down and forced us to play suicidal shite a lot less.  Every single statistic points to Bazunu being a shite keeper.  There really is no debating it.

• Like 13

1 minute ago, sambosa75 said:

Because he is absolute horseshit.  McCarthy settled the defence down and forced us to play suicidal shite a lot less.  Every single statistic points to Bazunu being a shite keeper.  There really is no debating it.

Nobody here seems to trust either of them. Is there even a rumour of a GK coming in? Yes, even a rumour would cheer me

Just now, Dellyears said:

Nobody here seems to trust either of them. Is there even a rumour of a GK coming in? Yes, even a rumour would cheer me

It’ll most likely be a loan move.  I’d be absolutely astounded if we honestly think McCarthy and Bazunu will suffice.  

Ramsdale or Johnstone would be my picks.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

West Brom had 5 shots on target over the 2 legs. That’s why we would have lost the playoffs with Bazunu in goal. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It’s because he’s absolutely dire. 

Even yesterday, sure, he probably wouldn’t have made the same mistake that Macca did, but he probably would have made a different mistake. Let in a pea roller or a something. 

We wouldn’t have been promoted with him in goal, although we can’t be 100% certain, I am 99%. One of the worst shot stoppers I’ve seen for us in any league 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, sambosa75 said:

It’ll most likely be a loan move.  I’d be absolutely astounded if we honestly think McCarthy and Bazunu will suffice.  

Ramsdale or Johnstone would be my picks.

Yes please, but is that a realistic hope or just a fantasy?

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

NO. SIGNIFICANT. WEAKNESSES.

Basically we're signing the perfect footballer.

Well done Saints and thanks for the confirmation WhoScored dotcom 👍👍👍👍👍

Site is run by Jose Fernandes, Mateus' Dad and agent :)