Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

22 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Fine, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and tell me where I've been wrong in the past 8 months? And I don't want any if this "I don't have time to trawl through all your posts" - you clearly do as you're on here 24/7, so go back and tell me where I've been incorrect. 

I'll be waiting. 

To be honest mate, I hadn’t noticed anything from you 8 months ago, only realised you existed about 2 months back. 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

We've been linked with O'Riley for 2 or 3 windows

Must have missed those links and if true I dont think they would have been very realistic when we were in the championship.

The point still stands, many on here have convinced themselves that he is player we desperately need to sign, and that is highly likely based on a youtube highlight and watching a Celtic pre season game

23 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Tbf, this is about Hypo being scared of actually trying to back himself up. Let's see if he can. 

If he can I won't post on this thread again, I promise. 

But if he can't, he has to promise to do the same. 

Please find something Hypo, 🙏 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I wouldn't be shocked at all, If Aribo leaves.

Not sure I see that. If we assume Alcaraz is off, that'll leave Lesley, Fernandes, Smallbone and Aribo fighting for the two number 8 roles in either the 3-5-2 we're currently playing or a 4-3-3. Lallana will fill in occasionally but can't be relied upon with his injury record. 

Ari

• Like 1

I also don't think Fernandes and MO'R (and Carvalho who we bid for) seem of the same profile - look at the difference in goal output for a start which I assume is the biggest driver of interest in MOR - he is a difference maker in and around the box whereas Fernandes seems to play deeper from all the clips Ive seen this evening.

Depth wise we aren't great in midfield and clearly Alcaraz will be on his way so seems like Fernandes will add competition for Smalbone and Aribo and also opportunity to add quality from the bench in a physically demanding league.

Re O'Riley - listen to RM answer to Alfie House here, certainly didn't rule it out as of Thursday when he had a clear opportunity to (from 3.05):

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/video/press-conference-part-two-martin-on-newcastle-trip

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Not sure I see that. If we assume Alcaraz is off, that'll leave Lesley, Fernandes, Smallbone and Aribo fighting for the two number 8 roles in either the 3-5-2 we're currently playing or a 4-3-3. Lallana will fill in occasionally but can't be relied upon with his injury record. 

Ari

I doubt Lesley will be fighting for one of those two spots, I suspect he’s a cert to play regularly 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I also don't think Fernandes and MO'R (and Carvalho who we bid for) seem of the same profile - look at the difference in goal output for a start which I assume is the biggest driver of interest in MOR - he is a difference maker in and around the box whereas Fernandes seems to play deeper from all the clips Ive seen this evening.

Depth wise we aren't great in midfield and clearly Alcaraz will be on his way so seems like Fernandes will add competition for Smalbone and Aribo and also opportunity to add quality from the bench in a physically demanding league.

Re O'Riley - listen to RM answer to Alfie House here, certainly didn't rule it out as of Thursday when he had a clear opportunity to (from 3.05):

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/video/press-conference-part-two-martin-on-newcastle-trip

Exactly this. Sometimes a non answer is an answer unto itself.

Hopefully we can finalise sales for Alcaraz, ABK, Mara and maybe one other in the coming days to give us enough £ to pursue the signings we want.

Will de disappointed to see Charly go as he did well for us in our relegation season and I feel he could be a big player for us. But it also seems like he hasnt fully settled and perhaps wants to be closer to home

I haven't seen him play before but Fernandes seem an intriguing signing. Apparently, he asked to leave to get more game time. Sporting fans are disappointed to see him go but at the same time question if he's yet capable of playing ahead of the likes of Alcaraz, Smallbone and Aribo. Just how much they know our players I don't know. Probably unreasonable to expect him to be anything more than a bit part player this season.

To be honest, it's hard to get excited about any signing until I know we've addressed the glaring weakness between the sticks.

5 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Hopefully we can finalise sales for Alcaraz, ABK, Mara and maybe one other in the coming days to give us enough £ to pursue the signings we want.

Will de disappointed to see Charly go as he did well for us in our relegation season and I feel he could be a big player for us. But it also seems like he hasnt fully settled and perhaps wants to be closer to home

Onuachu is the other one. Could net us 45-50 million woukd should help with the finances. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That's disappointing. I suppose if he performs again then someone has to give us more than 6 or 7 million. I'm surprised he hasn't gone to gostepe.

It's all to do with PSR. It's BS

10 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Legit question, has anyone on here actually heard of Fernades?

Or is everyone just jumping on the bandwagon because of the price and the club he’s being signed from? Fair question. 😂

Great passer, excellent on the half turn, excellent ball carrier. Great engine.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Ramsdale 

Sugawara Bednarek THB Stephens kwp 

Downes/Leslie Smallbone/Fernandes 

Aribo/oriley 

Armstrong/Archer BBD/Clarke 

With Ameyew and Dibling as backups. 

Just imagine... 

I like this, hopefully the club is thinking of building the squad in a similar way, as beyond the starting 11 we are quite light, not in numbers, but in quality. But, there is always one position that gets neglected at the end of every window. For the last few it has been striker and goalkeeper, before that it was full-backs and wingers. 

I've never heard of this Fernandes before this evening, but he does smell like a SR, Rasmus Ankersen punt signing who we hope we can turn a profit on. And, these signings haven't been too successful in the recent past. Russell Martin's also shown during his time here that he likes and trusts a certain profile of player and has no issues leaving a player out if they don't fit that profile/play the system well even if they have signed for big money like Charles, Onuachu and Sulemana. Does a 20 year old from Portugal fit the profile? We'll see.

Either way, lets hope that the club have learned from two years ago and aren't expecting Fernandes to be an instant success in the Premier League. He should be a rotation option at this moment in time in his career and we still need to add the experience.

The dream for the end of the window is O'Riley and Ramsdale. Anything else is a bonus and hopefully Fernandes is one of those bonuses. I guess Adam Blackmore did say that we wanted both Carvalho and O'Riley before the former moved to Brentford, so hopefully this is our Carvalho alternative. O'Riley's clearly been a top target for us this summer, Martin knows him already and Brighton and Atalanta have been two of the best recruiters in world football in recent times, so if they were after him...

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Same. I assumed he was an old poster under a new name... 

Strongly suspect we have one individual with multiple accounts syndrome here. Has anyone seen members of the cot, in the same room, at the same time? Bit like Roland Rat and Lallana, or Adam Armstrong and Ben Duckett. Anyways Hypo, just ask him when Skipp is signing, from his skipping picture and hopefully the twat will stay true to his word and post his boring childish shit solely in the cot, where it truly belongs,  🤞🏻 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Ramsdale 

Sugawara Bednarek THB Stephens kwp 

Downes/Leslie Smallbone/Fernandes 

Aribo/oriley 

Armstrong/Archer BBD/Clarke 

With Ameyew and Dibling as backups. 

Just imagine... 

Still short of a striker in my opinion.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Ramsdale being sold according to fabrizio Romano. Not to us then. Hope we have a plan B. 

I thought he said `Ramsdale is on several teams lists, but Arsenal only want to sell'? Are the likes of Wolves and Ajax in a position to buy him for what Arsenal want?

4 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Still short of a striker in my opinion.

We have bought two in this window. Not sure Archer was the right one myself. Hope I am wrong.

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

I thought he said `Ramsdale is on several teams lists, but Arsenal only want to sell'? Are the likes of Wolves and Ajax in a position to buy him for what Arsenal want?

I can't find it now but on twitter he said he was likely being sold to someone next week. 

30 minutes ago, northam soul said:

I see we are now under investigation for the Archer transfer, possible fines and sanctions 🙄

For Villa, not for us.

We’ll be unaffected, as will the player, it’ll be the selling club that have to endure the £50 fine.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, northam soul said:

I see we are now under investigation for the Archer transfer, possible fines and sanctions 🙄

The transfer is under investigation not us specifically, and Villa are the ones who have done wrong if anything. I don't believe anything will come of it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

The transfer is under investigation not us specifically, and Villa are the ones who have done wrong if anything. I don't believe anything will come of it.

It did all seem very weird. Archer signed for Sheffield United last summer for £18m. In July Villa announce he had resigned for them, then a few weeks later joins us.

someone said Villa had a low buy back clause so could buy him back for less then they sold him last year and knew they’d sell him straight away so made quite a bit of the deal overall 

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It did all seem very weird. Archer signed for Sheffield United last summer for £18m. In July Villa announce he had resigned for them, then a few weeks later joins us.

someone said Villa had a low buy back clause so could buy him back for less then they sold him last year and knew they’d sell him straight away so made quite a bit of the deal overall 

Sheffield United couldn't afford to keep him with relegation, so Villa said "don't pay us any more of the installments and we'll have him back", so it turned into a £6m loan. 

• Like 1

If we sign a new goalkeeper he will hopefully cut down on the number of errors playing out from the back, but don't expect them to be eliminated altogether. There is no super keeper that makes no errors. As Downes said, it's the way we play. If Ramsdale, for instance was so good at playing out from the back he'd be in the Arsenal team. The hardest thing in the Premier league is scoring goals as we saw yesterday when the goalkeeping mistake shouldn't have been crucial.

Getting that right should be our number 1 priority.

• Like 4