Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Not sure if already covered on here but rumours in North East are that Ross Stewart may go back to Sunderland on loan. If that means Mara, Tall Paul and Stewart are off then we need another striker even after the arrival of Archer. 

Striker/BBD - Arma/Archer

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Yes probably; not so sure Aribo will make much of an impact this year.

Hopefully it's third time lucky with players from Brazil. All I remember is us hiring Guly and Lyanco.

Can’t be putting those two in the same bracket. Guly was class in league one and the Championship. 

• Like 6

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Pretty much confirms he's our o'riley alternative. Let's hope it's good enough. 

Doesn't mention MOR anywhere in that tweet.

Club have mentioned MOR a few times over the past few weeks though and almost every single time, whether club briefings through Alfie House or whether Russel Martin himself, they've told us we aren't signing him. 

Just now, Fabrice29 said:

Doesn't mention MOR anywhere in that tweet.

Club have mentioned MOR a few times over the past few weeks though and almost every single time, whether club briefings through Alfie House or whether Russel Martin himself, they've told us we aren't signing him. 

I haven't seen any quote that said we aren't signing him. Do you have a quote? The tweet wouldn't mention attacking midfield if that isn't what we were signing him for. 

The tweet explicitly says he's settled as an 8.

I don't think he's the same profile of player as MOR. Feels more like squad depth for Smallbone/Aribo which I'm not upset about.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Pretty much confirms he's our o'riley alternative. Let's hope it's good enough. 

I'm hoping not.  He's a twenty year old kid with only one season experience in Portugal.  He may be good but if we see him as a starter then that's a hell of a gamble.  I'm going to go with an optimistic Alcaraz replacement and keep my fingers crossed.

Edited by revolution saint

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I haven't seen any quote that said we aren't signing him. Do you have a quote? The tweet wouldn't mention attacking midfield if that isn't what we were signing him for. 

The tweet literally says he's moved from an attacking midfielder to an 8 and yes, here's the quote. 

image.png.f9c390629cff495365629300a6a70e2c.png

Edited by Fabrice29

2 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I'm hoping not.  He's a twenty year old kid with only one season experience in Portugal.  He may be good but if we see him as a starter then that's a hell of a gamble.  I'm going to go with an optimistic Alcaraz replacement and keep my fingers crossed.

Isn't Alcaraz similar in style to o'riley? I hope you're right. 

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The tweet I saw said we are not in the race "right now". Which is a big difference. 

Yeah, maybe we'll be in the race one day but as you say we are not right now, sooo this guy who doesn't play like him probably isn't an alternative for him?

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Could easily be viewed as saying that he has played in attacking midfield and will be used in that position, though.

Alongside Ugochukwu, this definitely feels like a MOR alternative to me.

And me. Besides which we don't have another 25 million to drop on o'riley plus the putlays on Archer and this new guy. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

If the club mentioned it almost every single time, do you have any other quote besides the Alex crook one? 

You can read any of the daily echo pieces which are clearly club briefings and all state we're unlikely to sign him.

3 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Yeah Alex Crook, who however bad he is, is literally quoting...Russell Martin.

Yes, quoting him incorrectly. It seems crook can't even get that right. As hypo said he's neglected to mention the "right now" which changes the comment entirely 

• Like 1

Just now, Saint Scott said:

Yes, quoting him incorrectly. It seems crook can't even get that right. As hypo said he's neglected to mention the "right now" which changes the comment entirely 

When do you think it's important we are in for him if it's not right now?

2 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Because if we had no intention of signing him this window there would be little need to add that caveat. If you watch the stream he also smirks when he says it. Seems rather telling to me. 

Edited by hypochondriac

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Genuinely I haven't seen them. 

Okay, I don't believe that at all but anyway, either way, whether we sign MOR or not one day, there's no evidence at all to suggest this guy is an alternative.

2 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

We clearly needed to sell first to fund any move as Martin stated too.

I can't see us being in for him at all now though with Fernandes coming. A poor decision if so at €18m if O'Riley is available for €25m

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Because if we had no intention of signing him this window there would be little need to add that caveat. If you watch the stream he also smirks when he says it. Seems rather telling to me. 

Well that's a different interview but anyway, are you say we are in for him still and this guy isn't an alternative?

1 minute ago, Saint Scott said:

We clearly needed to sell first to fund any move as Martin stated too.

I can't see us being in for him at all now though with Fernandes coming. A poor decision if so at €18m if O'Riley is available for €25m

They seem nothing like each other at all so there's no evidence it's one or the other. Whether we sign O'Riley or not, the idea we have signed this guy instead of him is baseless. 

6 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Hypo just deciding to laugh at everything - is this cos I laughed at your attempt to stave off racism by the fact you have a "middle Eastern wife"? The old, "I have black mates" defence?

What on earth are you talking about? I had no idea you'd laughed at anything I said. I'm laughing at you because you pretend to be itk with your COT bollocks. It's got nothing to do with racism you weirdo. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

They seem nothing like each other at all so there's no evidence it's one or the other. Whether we sign O'Riley or not, the idea we have signed this guy instead of him is baseless. 

How is it baseless? We need to sell to buy clearly. We won't be dropping £40m on two new midfielders. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I think it's reasonable to expect that this is the one midfield outlay given our understood financial situation. Especially considering we've just loaned another midfielder too, it's suddenly a lot of bodies in midfield to throw another £25m at.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What on earth are you talking about? I had no idea you'd laughed at anything I said. I'm laughing at you because you pretend to be itk with your COT bollocks. It's got nothing to do with racism you weirdo. 

Fine, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and tell me where I've been wrong in the past 8 months? And I don't want any if this "I don't have time to trawl through all your posts" - you clearly do as you're on here 24/7, so go back and tell me where I've been incorrect. 

I'll be waiting. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Fine, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and tell me where I've been wrong in the past 8 months? And I don't want any if this "I don't have time to trawl through all your posts" - you clearly do as you're on here 24/7, so go back and tell me where I've been incorrect. 

I'll be waiting. 

I don't need to trawl through your posts to see you talking utter bollocks. It's a bit like when you got drunk the other week and repeatedly called me a cunt before apologising. Maybe you're on the sauce again. 

We may well sign o'riley but it will have feck all to do with you pretending to be itk on here. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Perhaps LeG, Manji etc can back me up - don't listen to the noise, MOR is still #1 on our list

Margot Robbie is still #1 on my list as well, probably just as likely though..

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't need to trawl through your posts to see you talking utter bollocks. It's a bit like when you got drunk the other week and repeatedly called me a cunt before apologising. Maybe you're on the sauce again. 

Come on pussy, prove me wrong. Have some faith in yourself. 

I'm betting you can't. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Is it a different interview? Do you have a link to the Alex crook interview? 

It was a talksport interview rather than the press conference you're referring too. And no.

2 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

How is it baseless? We need to sell to buy clearly. We won't be dropping £40m on two new midfielders. 

I'm saying there's no evidence it's a choice between one or the other.

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I think it's reasonable to expect that this is the one midfield outlay given our understood financial situation. Especially considering we've just loaned another midfielder too, it's suddenly a lot of bodies in midfield to throw another £25m at.

I agree but these two are completely different players to O'Riley. As I've said elsewhere i don't think we're signing MOR and haven't believed that since we had a bid rejected and made it clear the finances were too much and his team then seemingly went around briefing to any journalist they could that he's agreed personal terms with various clubs. However he clearly offers more productivity in goals and assists than our two new guys so I very much doubt the club have made a conscious decision to go with Fernandes specifically over O'Riley. It's clearly much more of a case that a player with the profile they like is available at a price they can do a deal at. Maybe that comes round for MOR at some stage or maybe it's someone else with his qualities and like Martin alluded to today they find someone who can provide productivity in attacking areas.

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Can the mods actually mod and just keep this boring shite to the COT thread? Taxing to read it on here looking for actual stuff.

Tbf, this is about Hypo being scared of actually trying to back himself up. Let's see if he can. 

If he can I won't post on this thread again, I promise. 

But if he can't, he has to promise to do the same. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The annoyance on here that we have signed Fernandes as a cheaper alternative to O"Riley is hilarious, especially considering;

a. We currently dont know if that is the case

b. About 80% of this forum had not seen either player play before any link surfaced. Some have convinced themselves that O'Riley is the best thing since sliced bread

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Isn't Alcaraz similar in style to o'riley? I hope you're right. 

Yeah, attacking midfield but was thinking more along the lines of squad makeup.  Alcaraz hasn't really been a first choice 11 player for quite a while and if we're signing a player who turned 20 last month and who has one season of first team football under his belt then we shouldn't be looking at him as a starter in a far harder, more physical league.  He'll have a lot of adapting to a new league, new language, style of play and all that kind of stuff.

If we get MOR then he brings a goal threat, and we might be able to stick with what we've got up front.  Sign this kid as an alternative then I'd be hoping for a proper experienced striker with a decent record because I'm not sure where they're going to come form otherwise - won't be this kid as he has one senior goal to his name.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

The annoyance on here that we have signed Fernandes as a cheaper alternative to O"Riley is hilarious, especially considering;

a. We currently dont know if that is the case

b. About 80% of this forum had not seen either player play before any link surfaced. Some have convinced themselves that O'Riley is the best thing since sliced bread

We've been linked with O'Riley for 2 or 3 windows

Rare there is a player I can actually comment on but Mateus was a real stand out for Estoril last year.  I can’t say I have seen anything of MOR other than the highlights stuff so impossible to compare but Mateus is good.  As with anyone from a league at a different level it may be hard to adjust but he is physical, technically good, hard working and great vision.  Pretty pleased he will be a saint. 

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, attacking midfield but was thinking more along the lines of squad makeup.  Alcaraz hasn't really been a first choice 11 player for quite a while and if we're signing a player who turned 20 last month and who has one season of first team football under his belt then we shouldn't be looking at him as a starter in a far harder, more physical league.  He'll have a lot of adapting to a new league, new language, style of play and all that kind of stuff.

If we get MOR then he brings a goal threat, and we might be able to stick with what we've got up front.  Sign this kid as an alternative then I'd be hoping for a proper experienced striker with a decent record because I'm not sure where they're going to come form otherwise - won't be this kid as he has one senior goal to his name.

100% 

2 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Good post. The hope for o'riley is due to the fact that Atalanta have moved on, his previous relationship with Martin and that he is still in contact with him, the fact we have bought players not hugely less than celtic are asking for him and that they like Shea Charles who we are clearly sending somewhere. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I wouldn't be shocked at all, If Aribo leaves.

Interesting. Would be a bit of a blow for me as he's been a steady performer and was good again today as well. Wonder what we'd get for him.

If he did leave who would be the o'riley alternative if we got him? 

Edited by hypochondriac