Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

It was said on here that he was having a good game until he followed orders and unfortunately made a a mistake , lets not join in with modern misinformation mob rule ffs .

He didn't make a save mate - and gave them a goal from their only shot on target

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Alfie House suggesting GK will have to be a loan which makes sense given we have three other keepers on the books who won't find other clubs for various reasons. Not sure we will get a PL keeper on loan unless it's a deadline day scramble. 

Also makes sense if the one we want only wants a loan too (for obvious reasons).

44 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Alfie House suggesting GK will have to be a loan which makes sense given we have three other keepers on the books who won't find other clubs for various reasons. Not sure we will get a PL keeper on loan unless it's a deadline day scramble. 

Three other keepers on the books after renewing the contracts of two in the summer. Ridiculous. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Forget O’Riley (if he was ever a possibility). After seeing that shocking performance by McCarthy you’ve got to say the priority must be to get a decent keeper in above all else…more than a playmaker ACM or a striker. Don’t do that and we don’t compete at this level.

We need them all. A better goalkeeper is vital but so is someone capable of unlocking a defence or heaven forbid having a crack from outside the box, and a centre forward are too. Stopping silly mistakes at the back won’t cure our inability to score. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Selling Alcaraz may raise the funds to go after MOR. Atalanta moved on to another target. Flamingo have bid €22m for Alcaraz according to Brazilian media outlet. 

€25m and I'd sell, that means we'd only have to invest around €5m on O'Riley. 

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Forget O’Riley (if he was ever a possibility). After seeing that shocking performance by McCarthy you’ve got to say the priority must be to get a decent keeper in above all else…more than a playmaker ACM or a striker. Don’t do that and we don’t compete at this level.

Not sure I agree. We had zero cutting edge today despite Newcastle's defence being decent. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not sure I agree. We had zero cutting edge today despite Newcastle's defence being decent. 

We had 18 shots to be fair so we did create. BBD missed a big one and there was some huge last ditch defending. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

We had 18 shots to be fair so we did create. BBD missed a big one and there was some huge last ditch defending. 

There was but we had very little balls slipped through to the strikers. Quite a lot of pot shots that were blocked. We needed a bit of ski or magic to unlock something. I was surprised Alcaraz didn't get longer. 

9 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Alcaraz played well when he came  ...looked like he could create something ....shame if he is leaving to be honest.

Needs must. If he stays he will likely be a bit part player. We need a guaranteed starter to compete with Aribo. We probably can't afford to keep both and he's our most saleable asset. 

RM seems confident we will get the additions needed and despite public defences etc he isn't stupid - he can see what we do well and what can be improved.

Seems like we have a couple of sales lined up (eerily quiet on ABK though) and that will help.

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

RM seems confident we will get the additions needed and despite public defences etc he isn't stupid - he can see what we do well and what can be improved.

Seems like we have a couple of sales lined up (eerily quiet on ABK though) and that will help.

I can't work out if ABK going quiet is good or not.

2 hours ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Selling Alcaraz may raise the funds to go after MOR. Atalanta moved on to another target. Flamingo have bid €22m for Alcaraz according to Brazilian media outlet. 

Said a few weeks ago people need to have some fucking patience.

Im sure he’ll be a Southampton player soon.

Im sure Ramsdale will be in come the end of the window, failing that another GK on loan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

Seems an odd one as he's not particularly attacking.

He's an 8 according to my mate who supports Benfica, which seems weird.

Would've assumed that'd be covered now with the Ugochukwu loan & Smallbone. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Big Les is a 6, Fernandes is a 8, Maybe we want competition for Smallbone?

Apparently he played most typically at 8 for Reims.

I don't think that signing takes place without reasonable assurances he'd get a lot of game time, which makes me think he's not just Downes backup.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Big Les is a 6, Fernandes is a 8, Maybe we want competition for Smallbone?

Downes, Ugochukwu, Smallbone, Aribo, Fernandes. That would be 5 options for 3 positions. Can't see us signing O'Riley as well.

• Like 2

Seems a little odd if we've been sell-to-buy and we're now taking that budget (from Mara and ABK you'd assume) to put on an 18 year old with about 30 senior games.

We desperately need an attacking, creative midfielder. Smallbone and Aribo are both okay, and neither played badly today, but they have extremely limited goal threat and I would've assumed that'd be the midfield profile we needed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Hmm. Really not a fan of this. What we don't need is a young player in this position. Also seemingly means we aren't in for o'riley. 

Not sure this is a signing we need and it's a heck of a lot of money when we need strength elsewhere. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Seems a little odd if we've been sell-to-buy and we're now taking that budget (from Mara and ABK you'd assume) to put on an 18 year old with about 30 senior games.

We desperately need an attacking, creative midfielder. Smallbone and Aribo are both okay, and neither played badly today, but they have extremely limited goal threat and I would've assumed that'd be the midfield profile we needed.

We desperately need a goalkeeper full stop

• Like 1

We can be looking at more than one player at a time. I'm sure a GK is at the top of the list but deals for specific players take time and circumstance. 

On Fernandes. I know nothing about him but he looks a good ball carrier. Decent eye for a pass. Could be a direct replacement for Charlie (Albeit a little lower on the pitch) if the Flamengo deal is on.

Edited by Hopper
  • Confused 2

43 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Seems an odd one as he's not particularly attacking.

If this is true, Russell Martin needs to shit on Bitcon and Rasmus in the media here as this stinks of Rasmus and get control.

Another fucking stats based signing in a position if this is true that we don’t need. Just like Bazanu and Edozie. SR stabbed Ralph in the back over failing to get a striker and cost him his job. Would be the same here, I’d say if signed that he’s a kid for the Saints academy they’ll loan to Goztepe but the owner has promised him the funds for a first XI winger and #10.

That would stop this in its tracks but Russell is going to have to play the multi club politics here to get Saints what we need and pull rank as the biggest club.

The only way that signing would makes sense is if Smallbone or Aribo are on the verge of being sold and even then it’s a huge risk. Hopefully it’s agent bollocks but I get the sense it isn’t. 

Hypo - couldn’t agree more. This is Rasmus via Bitcon as his puppet.

Hopper - he might go to be brilliant but what’s the point of Russell Martin investing time and energy on Smallbone and selling him next week? Because he won’t be playing at all if this guy joins, or it’s probably the end for Aribo. This guy would need either a 1 in 3 goal ratio or high assist rate to give Saints what they need, and he doesn’t. He’s box to box.

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

The more I look at this signing the more bizarre it seems. Is this just another one of those punts that he might turn into a megastar and we can sell him for big bucks later on? We have a finite budget and it looks like we are using loads of it in a position we don't really need. If this is the Alcaraz replacement then is there much point? Might as well keep him. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hopper said:

image.png.d1b9972dddc07ea7fa45d72692412511.png

image.png.dbd872c5ef10900e7413e3fdbcecae48.png

image.png.8f92be495c7ca9be196b2bf31116ee97.png

image.png.ca6144c4adc8cafe642629bdd459b5a9.png

Some positive views on him.

Sporting fans on twitter seem a bit gutted he's going. I'm going to say he's a replacement for Alcaraz. Sign this guy for €15m and sell Alcaraz for €20m could make sense. 

Where is he going to play? Aribo replacement presumably. Still doesn't get us the creativity we need. 

I could end up with egg on my face but this is the first signing we've made this summer where I can't see the logic and for the price you can't help but feel that the money could be better spent elsewhere. We've been so careful with our funds in other positions and looked for bargains and shrewd buys. It seems like a complete change of tactics for this one unless we are supremely confident that he's unbelievable. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Where is he going to play? Aribo replacement presumably. Still doesn't get us the creativity we need. 

I could end up with egg on my face but this is the first signing we've made this summer where I can't see the logic and for the price you can't help but feel that the money could be better spent elsewhere. We've been so careful with our funds in other positions and looked for bargains and shrewd buys. It seems like a complete change of tactics for this one unless we are supremely confident that he's unbelievable. 

I think there's more in the offing as far as in's are concerned. The club kept Archer and Ugochukwu close to the vest and I'd image will continue to do so until the window closes given how ruthlessly competitive the market is.

Just now, Hopper said:

I think there's more in the offing as far as in's are concerned. The club kept Archer and Ugochukwu close to the vest and I'd image will continue to do so until the window closes given how ruthlessly competitive the market is.

I don't see how we can afford much else. A winger and goalkeeper hopefully but I reckon there still isn't enough creativity for us to score enough. 

There was a post a few pages back about our finances that said we had probably around £30M of headroom without taking into account outgoings. If Charlie, Seku and Armel go that's £40M ish coming in and only £15M spent on Archer since that article. Would leave a nice little warchest to get a few bits done.

Edited by Hopper

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes probably; not so sure Aribo will make much of an impact this year.

Hopefully it's third time lucky with players from Brazil. All I remember is us hiring Guly and Lyanco.

7 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

A midfield of Downes - Fernnandes and O'Riley is insane for a newly promoted team.

And where does Lesley fit into that? He’s not come here to sit on the bench.

This lad sounds good and we definitely need our midfield enhancing (every good team has a midfield that controls games), but can’t see it being in addition to O’Riley.

9 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

A midfield of Downes - Fernnandes and O'Riley is insane for a newly promoted team.

I don't see it myself. You'd also have to fit in Smallbone, lesley and Aribo. I reckon this makes o'riley rather unlikely. 

• Like 1

Not sure if already covered on here but rumours in North East are that Ross Stewart may go back to Sunderland on loan. If that means Mara, Tall Paul and Stewart are off then we need another striker even after the arrival of Archer. 

He sounds and looks exactly like the sort of player Martin would like so I'm not sure why anyone thinks he wouldn't want this. There's some weird conspiracy theorists around just because we're being linked with someone different to who they have convinced themselves is the answer.

Also the "where does he fit in" chat is nonsense. He'll have a role to play, not everything has to be "here's our 11" and any new signing has to fit into it. Having a selection of midfielders seems like a good idea to me. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Saint_lambden said:

Not sure if already covered on here but rumours in North East are that Ross Stewart may go back to Sunderland on loan. If that means Mara, Tall Paul and Stewart are off then we need another striker even after the arrival of Archer. 

Can they send Jack Clarke down here 

• Like 1