Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Just now, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

I still don't understand why we didn't go for Szmodics. He played with BBD at Blackburn. Scored 33 in all competitions last season.and has already got 3 goals in 2 games this season. Much cheaper than O'Reilly. 

On paper Ipswich's recruitment looks very impressive. 

Time will tell if that was a good decision. Lets see if he score goals at this higher level. Hopefully not. We need them to be below us come May.

11 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

I still don't understand why we didn't go for Szmodics. He played with BBD at Blackburn. Scored 33 in all competitions last season.and has already got 3 goals in 2 games this season. Much cheaper than O'Reilly. 

On paper Ipswich's recruitment looks very impressive. 

How do you know we didn't? We may have gone for Phillips too. Because didn't get a player, it doesn't mean that we didn't have a crack at him. 

12 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

He put up with Mara doing the same!!

All this but RM played Mara stuff is bullshit...he literally had nobody else to turn to, so of course he played him! 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

There have been many examples of teams spending £100M and getting relegated at the end of that season.

I’m actually glad we aren’t one of them.

Haven't we spent about 60 million so far? Could be close to 100 by the end of the window. 

Hasn't Szmodics been just as successful as Bereton Diaz was in the championship? A Blackburn fan I know said he isn't that great and the only reason he scored so many was because they set up their team so that everything went through him. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

I'm not seeing it. He has zero skill to get past players and is reliant on his speed but I don't actually think he's as quick as people make out him to be. Id sell him.

I don't think that's fair. He has all the attributes, but we've had players before from George Lawrence to Michael Obefemi who had all the attributes to be a great player but weren't.

Hmmm Ipswich have basically a free hit on PSR this window.  And they've gambled by maxing out. Let's see what resale value they get on Delap 20m, greaves 20m, hurchinson 20m, their keeper 11m. 

That value can become eroded rapidly and has zero PL proven ability. Leif Davis when it becomes apparent he can't defend, how much is he worth when the 80m in sales needs to be achieved to balance PSR? As far as I can see it's a massive gamble on Greaves or Hutchinson going for 50m in 18months time. And I haven't seen Burnley, SUFC or Luton players commanding those fees regularly.

So, i think that spending rate is a one off, big gamble, and needs to be offset by sales in year 2 and 3.

The other point is that Hutchinson 20m, Greaves 20m, and Smodicks 9m have never kicked a ball in the prem. In fact, only Ben Johnson and Kalvin Phillips have ever played in the prem from their entire squad Unless im being unfair.  A midfield of Morsy Lluongo and Phillips would worry me.

I don't think there is much to envy and it's very high risk.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Hasn't Szmodics been just as successful as Bereton Diaz was in the championship? A Blackburn fan I know said he isn't that great and the only reason he scored so many was because they set up their team so that everything went through him. 

Spot on. And a petulant self centered lad too. Col United boy.

15 June 2024 DF England Leon Elliott † England Crystal Palace Free transfer [1]
25 June 2024 MF England Abube Onuchukwu † England Aston Villa Free transfer [2]
30 June 2024 FW Jamaica Omari Hutchinson England Chelsea £20,000,000 [3]
1 July 2024 DF England Ben Johnson England West Ham United Free transfer [4]
5 July 2024 DF Northern Ireland Darragh McCann † Northern Ireland Glentoran Undisclosed [5]
12 July 2024 DF England Jacob Greaves England Hull City Undisclosed[a] [6]
13 July 2024 FW England Liam Delap England Manchester City Undisclosed[b] [7]
17 July 2024 GK Kosovo Arijanet Muric England Burnley Undisclosed[c] [8]
1 August 2024 DF England Conor Townsend England West Bromwich Albion £500,000 [9]
16 August 2024 FW Republic of Ireland Sammie Szmodics England Blackburn Rovers Undisclo

I said earlier I don't think Ipswich's business is that exciting. Hutchinson had a decent season last year but that's a lot of money for someone yet to prove themselves in the Prem. Johnson on a free isn't bad, I think he was a target for us at one point but was only ever a back up for West Ham. Delap may or may not make it, probably a similar risk to Archer. Muric wasn't even Burnley's first choice last season but has Championship experience and Szmodics has had one great season last season,  an ok season before that and meh seasons before that... and he's nearly 29. Townsend I don't know much about but I don't think he's very good from what I've read. Greaves is their best buy, Champ team of the year and young. But I prefer our business. What Ipswich have done is strengthen their team well if they go down again, much like us. Also remember Ipswich have gone straight up twice. That's a huge jump for a team with the same core of players. We did it, Norwich did it the season before we did (but that was a long time ago), but when we did it we had a remarkable backbone of players that just kept getting better. Staying up is a huge ask for Ipswich, which is contrary to what their fans think as they appear to be positive that they will do well at this level. I still think the 3 that went up will go down such is the gap now between the Prem and Championship, but I think Saints have given themselves a chance.

Still time in the transfer window for both though. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chownie20 said:

Hmmm Ipswich have basically a free hit on PSR this window.  And they've gambled by maxing out. Let's see what resale value they get on Delap 20m, greaves 20m, hurchinson 20m, their keeper 11m. 

That value can become eroded rapidly and has zero PL proven ability. Leif Davis when it becomes apparent he can't defend, how much is he worth when the 80m in sales needs to be achieved to balance PSR? As far as I can see it's a massive gamble on Greaves or Hutchinson going for 50m in 18months time. And I haven't seen Burnley, SUFC or Luton players commanding those fees regularly.

So, i think that spending rate is a one off, big gamble, and needs to be offset by sales in year 2 and 3.

The other point is that Hutchinson 20m, Greaves 20m, and Smodicks 9m have never kicked a ball in the prem. In fact, only Ben Johnson and Kalvin Phillips have ever played in the prem from their entire squad Unless im being unfair.  A midfield of Morsy Lluongo and Phillips would worry me.

I don't think there is much to envy and it's very high risk.

Good post. on a larger scale I appreciate but NF did similar when they came up a few seasons back

3 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Can I just ask what you're basing that on, given that he was utterly ineffective in the league below and has done absolutely nothing pre-season? Genuinely curious. 

Seems to me he has been injured a lot and lost all his confidence. Doesn't think our holding the ball tactic worked for him, and i think we will have to play a bit  faster and more direct and that will suit him. If he has a good game and gains a little confidence i think he will produce both goals and assists for us. Just have a feeling. 

• Like 1

Hopefully we are now putting our efforts into the O'Riley deal. If we do manage to sign him and a keeper on loan (Johnstone/Ramsdale) then I'll certainly be more confident this season. Another winger would be a bonus. 

• Like 1

Based on pre-season and recruitment it feels like we're going to be running with 3 at the back and wing backs a fair chunk this season. Less concerned about a winger with thats in mind... O'Riley and a Keeper and we might surprise a few.

21 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Hopefully we are now putting our efforts into the O'Riley deal. If we do manage to sign him and a keeper on loan (Johnstone/Ramsdale) then I'll certainly be more confident this season. Another winger would be a bonus. 

100% agree. I feel like a big statement signing like o'riley would be just what the doctor ordered and would give everyone a huge boost. 

15 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

100% agree. I feel like a big statement signing like o'riley would be just what the doctor ordered and would give everyone a huge boost. 

Ramsdale would be bigger 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

My preference is for a goaly, that would complete a very good window but without a top GK we're sunk.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

O'Riley ticks a lot of boxes and feels like the best signing we could realistically make this window.  Knows RM, likes him and the style of play.  Perfect age, big lad who can cope with the physicality of the league and a good source of goals and assists. 

Gotta sort out the keeper too and, being greedy, someone who can run with the ball like S Armstrong did.  Doesn't need to be a winger per se and I guess Lallana could do the job if he was ever fit, but someone who can get past his man and break the lines would be icing on the cake stuff.   Fuck it, sweat out Sunderland and pick up Jack Clarke.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

O'Riley ticks a lot of boxes and feels like the best signing we could realistically make this window.  Knows RM, likes him and the style of play.  Perfect age, big lad who can cope with the physicality of the league and a good source of goals and assists. 

Gotta sort out the keeper too and, being greedy, someone who can run with the ball like S Armstrong did.  Doesn't need to be a winger per se and I guess Lallana could do the job if he was ever fit, but someone who can get past his man and break the lines would be icing on the cake stuff.   Fuck it, sweat out Sunderland and pick up Jack Clarke.

I would secretly love Clarke and could happen for about 15 million but I'm not sure we could afford him if we did get o'riley. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

I would secretly love Clarke and could happen for about 15 million but I'm not sure we could afford him if we did get o'riley. 

Yeah, I agree, I doubt the funds are there and I'd prefer O'Riley so no complaints from me if that's how it worked out.  Clarke has a bit of swagger about him that gives you a bit of unpredictability.  Probably the kind of thing that could happen if Sulemana was fit and sold.  Interesting to see what happens with him though - Sunderland want 25M which ain't gonna happen and the clubs that were interested like Ipswich appear to have gone elsewhere.  He ain't signing a new contract so Sunderland will probably need to drop that price fairly soon.

if we get o'riley and a good goalie then this window would of been excellent and relatively cost effective with outgoings included.

agree with hypo, we have guys who can now score goals but we need a main man who can give them the ammo operating in front of the midfield and matt is that man.

Regarding lesley is he starting over smallbone in a couple of weeks ?

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

if we get o'riley and a good goalie then this window would of been excellent and relatively cost effective with outgoings included.

agree with hypo, we have guys who can now score goals but we need a main man who can give them the ammo operating in front of the midfield and matt is that man.

Regarding lesley is he starting over smallbone in a couple of weeks ?

I'd say you'd have Downes and the other two competing for three spaces. You'd imagine Downes plays every time he is fit but if it's anything like last season, the other two will get plenty of gametime. I much prefer a situation where Smallbone gets a chance to show what he can do in the prem but without being too reliant on him in case he turns out to be a bit crap at this level. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd say you'd have Downes and the other two competing for three spaces. You'd imagine Downes plays every time he is fit but if it's anything like last season, the other two will get plenty of gametime. I much prefer a situation where Smallbone gets a chance to show what he can do in the prem but without being too reliant on him in case he turns out to be a bit crap at this level. 

Yep; I'd like to see Smallbone do well, and he has earned a second chance at Prem level - but he could well be "a bit crap at this level".  I say that because good control and passing range with some technical skill may not be enough.  An attacking midfielder in the Prem needs to be capable of driving runs with the ball; have the half-turn in their locker and have a creative, expansive eye for a pass......not sure Will does.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Yep; I'd like to see Smallbone do well, and he has earned a second chance at Prem level - but he could well be "a bit crap at this level".  I say that because good control and passing range with some technical skill may not be enough.  An attacking midfielder in the Prem needs to be capable of driving runs with the ball; have the half-turn in their locker and have a creative, expansive eye for a pass......not sure Will does.

If, in our ideal world, we get O'Riley and then have three midfield spots for six central players: O'Riley, Downes, Ugochukwu, Smallbone, Aribo, Lallana - then like you, I'd feel more comfortable and still think Smallbone would get enough minutes for us to figure out if he's viable in the PL beyond this season. Would definitely still look to bring in another crafty attacking midfielder as I share some of the same reservations here, much as I'd love to see him rise to it and prove he's capable

• Like 1

Cameron Archer: 

“That was one of the main reasons why I'm here, his playing style, his coaching and trying to improve me as a player. It's not a bad place to do that in the Premier League with Southampton.

“I just want to keep scoring goals and improve myself as a player, and I don't think there's a better place to do that than with Southampton.”

This may be an element we’re underrating as Saints fans. Players ultimately want to win titles playing expansive possession football for top teams.

What’s the best way to demonstrate your ability to play that way? Play well for Saints in the PL.

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
  • Like 1

Been reading villa forums about archer and gotta say I quite like the sound of him personally..  

his main strength seems to be his finishing and we haven’t really had a top notch finisher since Danny ings, also looks to have a really good first touch judging by the videos .. 

a BBD  Archer Armstrong front three would give us a unique front three with no actual traditional wingers but all can score 

8 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Been reading villa forums about archer and gotta say I quite like the sound of him personally..  

his main strength seems to be his finishing and we haven’t really had a top notch finisher since Danny ings, also looks to have a really good first touch judging by the videos .. 

a BBD  Archer Armstrong front three would give us a unique front three with no actual traditional wingers but all can score 

That's the interesting part. Neither of them are wingers, but neither are centre forwards either. RM will probably, I'm guessing, persist with the 2 x forwards idea with no centre forward, or (as I'd prefer) playing one through the middle. Regardless, we're looking better than we did. 

I saw some videos earlier in the week talking about the importance of experience in this league. That's certainly something Ipswich lack but we are pretty good 

McCarthy 

Bednarek

Kwp 

Taylor 

Downes 

Leslie 

Armstrong 

Bereton Diaz 

Aribo 

Lallana 

Stephens 

Have all had experience in this league and most of them have performed well in it at points. I think that will count for something. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Have to sign a wide-man.  

On 15/08/2024 at 06:54, Dusic said:

16 minutes ago, egg said:

That's the interesting part. Neither of them are wingers, but neither are centre forwards either. RM will probably, I'm guessing, persist with the 2 x forwards idea with no centre forward, or (as I'd prefer) playing one through the middle. Regardless, we're looking better than we did. 

Do you think archer will be a regular starter though ? That 433 with Diaz and arms wide seems the only way to get all three in .

archer  giving me kinda ings vibes looks great In the boro video below love the celebration too 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

14 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Do you think archer will be a regular starter though ? That 433 with Diaz and arms wide seems the only way to get all three in .

archer  giving me kinda ings vibes looks great In the boro video below love the celebration too 

I can absolutely see the Defoe comparisons that people have been making.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Cameron Archer: 

“That was one of the main reasons why I'm here, his playing style, his coaching and trying to improve me as a player. It's not a bad place to do that in the Premier League with Southampton.

“I just want to keep scoring goals and improve myself as a player, and I don't think there's a better place to do that than with Southampton.”

This may be an element we’re underrating as Saints fans. Players ultimately want to win titles playing expansive possession football for top teams.

What’s the best way to demonstrate your ability to play that way? Play well for Saints in the PL.

If we try to play like City we'll go down. They can play that way because they can spend hundreds of millions just on their defence alone. 

16 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I think his first touch looks amazing also,just seems to stick to him and in a second he gets in a position to shape to shoot .. it all looks so natural and like he knows exactly what he’s gonna do next .. kinda polar opposite of che :)

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I think his first touch looks amazing also,just seems to stick to him and in a second he gets in a position to shape to shoot .. it all looks so natural and like he knows exactly what he’s gonna do next .. kinda polar opposite of che :)

I think you make a good point. Archer doesn't even have to be that good, he just needs to be better than Che which shouldn't be that difficult! 

Can someone help me out here please and I apologise if I am being a bit thick in not comprehending Saints strategy regarding the Summer transfer business.

We gave been informed by many sources that after the sensible re-signing of Flynn and Harwood-Bellis our top transfer target was Matt O'Riley from Celtic. The stats looked good and Martin was personally aware of his effectiveness as a player plus his " character " after working with him previously.

In the last few weeks we have been informed that we have been unable or unwilling to meet Celtics vluation of 25 million for O'Riley and talks have eithe stalled or have ended.

We, supposedly offered around 15 million and would not go higher. My maths makes that a shortfall of 10 million.

And then out of the blue we learnt yesterday that Saints have signed a guy called Archer from Aston Villa for 10 million.

Forgive me but doesnt 15 million plus 10 million equal 25 million !

Now I'm not saying that we should pay Celtics valuation simply because that is an abitrary figure they have put on his head. However if he really was our number 1 target and Martins choice why have we gone ahead with the Archer deal ! A player many of us here have no knowledge about.

Factor in that it looks as though we will now be receiving a fee for Mara and Bella-Kotchap this doesnt make any sense to me at all.

Can someone please explain to this frazzled old 76 year old brain of mine !

Anyhows, onwards and upwards and looking forward to the new season and Saints at Newcastle this afternoon

20 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

In movement and stature for sure, not so much in conversion.  At the same age Defoe had 88 goals already. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I think you make a good point. Archer doesn't even have to be that good, he just needs to be better than Che which shouldn't be that difficult! 

Che Adams scored 22 goals in the championship when he was Archers age and scored the same or more in the Prem in 4 different seasons. 

I think some of you are setting yourselves up for serious disappointment with this lad. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Che Adams scored 22 goals in the championship when he was Archers age and scored the same or more in the Prem in 4 different seasons. 

I think some of you are setting yourselves up for serious disappointment with this lad. 

Eh? The most Adams ever scored in the prem was 9!

6 minutes ago, Francis1947 said:

Can someone help me out here please and I apologise if I am being a bit thick in not comprehending Saints strategy regarding the Summer transfer business.

We gave been informed by many sources that after the sensible re-signing of Flynn and Harwood-Bellis our top transfer target was Matt O'Riley from Celtic. The stats looked good and Martin was personally aware of his effectiveness as a player plus his " character " after working with him previously.

In the last few weeks we have been informed that we have been unable or unwilling to meet Celtics vluation of 25 million for O'Riley and talks have eithe stalled or have ended.

We, supposedly offered around 15 million and would not go higher. My maths makes that a shortfall of 10 million.

And then out of the blue we learnt yesterday that Saints have signed a guy called Archer from Aston Villa for 10 million.

Forgive me but doesnt 15 million plus 10 million equal 25 million !

Now I'm not saying that we should pay Celtics valuation simply because that is an abitrary figure they have put on his head. However if he really was our number 1 target and Martins choice why have we gone ahead with the Archer deal ! A player many of us here have no knowledge about.

Factor in that it looks as though we will now be receiving a fee for Mara and Bella-Kotchap this doesnt make any sense to me at all.

Can someone please explain to this frazzled old 76 year old brain of mine !

Anyhows, onwards and upwards and looking forward to the new season and Saints at Newcastle this afternoon

I wouldn't take any of the figures for bids being bandied around as gospel.  They're complicated things and the figures that make the headlines are rarely right.  Pretty clear we are interested in O'Riley and we'll see what happens but there's also the rest of the squad to think about.  

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Which is more than Archer has ever managed in the PL, is the point Clarkey was making.

Che had never played in the premier league at 22. At 20 he scored 7 goals in 40 appearances in the championship. At the same age Archer scored 11 in 20 in the championship which is a better ratio than Che's best ever season in the championship which he had for Birmingham at 22 which is the same age as Archer. 

That's not a guarantee he will be better but it's certainly encouraging

• Like 2